Godzilla vs. Kong (2021) Poster

1,690 Reviews
Am i the only one who thought this was overhyped?
brycetulloch-1360426 March 2021
I liked the action but once again, The story and characters were unbelievably bland.
678 out of 967 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Epic battles with an uninspired plot.
kenzibit1 April 2021
Rating basically for the epic battles in this movie, great special effects that blend perfectly with the environment accompanied by immersive sounds to rumble your speakers. Kudos to all those responsible for that. On the other hand, this movie does a poor job of character personalization and story plot. Had a lot of fake smiles and poor dialogues, did a poor job of making you feel for any character's situation and wanting more from them, it's like the movie pauses when scenes switch from the Kaijus to humans. Characters were introduced for no particular purpose or reason. Story was dull and uninspiring. Wouldn't recommend this movie for the plot or character performances but will recommend it for the epic Kaiju battles and CGI.
329 out of 467 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Thank goodness for the children.
movieliker14 April 2021
This is another movie where children save the day from evil and/or incompetent adults.

BASIC PLOT
  • Kong is not happy in Kong biosphere.

• Incompetent human adults kidnap Kong to bring him to Antartica where there is an entrance to the center of the Earth.

• Kong's naval escort is intercepted by Godzilla. Godzilla and Kong have an epic battle. Godzilla wins round one.

• Kong is air lifted to Antarctica. He and humans fall through a wormhole to the center of the Earth.

• The center of the Earth is replete with light, oxygen, plants, trees, rivers, lakes, waterfalls and of course, dinosaurs.

• Kong is king in the center of the Earth. He even has a throne down there.

• Godzilla burns a hole down to the center of the Earth. Kong climbs up that hole from the center of the Earth, to the surface of the Earth.

• Kong and Godzilla have epic battle. Kong wins round two.

• Kong and Godzilla have another epic battle. Godzilla wins round three.

• Apparently King Kong is controlled by an eight year old deaf child. He virtually does whatever she says. (Thank goodness for the children.) She tells him, "Godzilla is not your enemy. He is your friend. By the way, he needs your help."

• Kong looks over to see Godzilla battling mechanical Godzilla created by evil human corporation run by evil adults.

• Two other children break into the evil corporation and get control of the mechanical Godzilla control board. (Thank goodness for the children.)

• They can't override mechanical Godzilla's program. So one kid pours a drink on the control board to short out mechanical Godzilla. (Thank goodness for the children.)

• Kong and Godzilla decide they cannot be friends. But they will settle for Godzilla controlling the water. And Kong controlling the land.

• Kong returns to the center of the Earth. But he needs human supervision.

This is a movie for kids, and adults who can suspend disbelief.

There is plenty of action and violence. No nudity or sex. Couple of curse words.

I gave it a 10 for action and special effects. A 1 for plot. Halfway between 1 and 10 is my rating of 5.
257 out of 366 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great CGI can't compensate for awful story.
alfredsmith2 April 2021
This is a mindless, plotless action flick with great action and effects but not much else. The plot is mundane, ridiculous and predictable. Much of it didn't even make any sense, because nothing is adequately explained. The acting is mostly awful. The editing made it difficult to follow what little plot there was. Actually the whole series of movies in this rebirth have all been really bad and this just continues that tradition. I am at a complete loss to explain the high ratings some people have given it and cannot recommend it all. Seriously don't bother with this.
374 out of 551 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very entertaining but plot is ruining it
fredericktanjaya28 March 2021
I love Godzilla, I love Kong. Face to face they fight like there is no tomorrow for one of them. The battle is very entertaining and breathtaking. Visual are the best of all other monster verse by WB.

The weakness is in the plot and story telling. They should paid a bit more attention on the story and human characters to make them at least interesting.

Battle is 10/10 Story and plot 4/10.
335 out of 494 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nobody wanted a plot
ratpackaustin4 April 2021
I guarantee 99% of viewers just wanted to see two titans go at it. Nobody cared about the humans in this movie. So why does WB keep trying to force humans down our throat in these movies? In an hour and 50 ish minutes were forced to watch people for 80 of those minutes. There's way too much time trying to make a plot here that I don't want to see.
205 out of 324 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Delivers exactly what it says on the poster - a pair of iconic monsters duking it out in the most epic way possible ...and very little else
MrDHWong25 March 2021
"Godzilla vs. Kong" is the fourth film in Legendary Pictures' "MonsterVerse" and the fourth Godzilla film produced in the west. Starring Millie Bobby Brown, Julian Dennison, and Alexander Skarsgรฅrd, it delivers exactly what it says on the poster - a pair of iconic monsters duking it out in the most epic way possible ...and very little else.

Sometime after the events of "Godzilla: King of the Monsters", the giant ape Kong is being kept under surveillance inside a large simulated habitat, forming a bond with a deaf girl who communicates with him through sign language. One day, Godzilla attacks a city in Florida for seemingly no reason and this sparks an international debate over whether or not these huge monsters are a threat to humanity's future. A team of experts soon deduce that Godzilla was actually tracking Kong's energy signal and decide to transport him somewhere secret in an effort to prevent the two of them from fighting each other and causing even more collateral damage.

When it comes to giant monster movies, you can't go too wrong with the ones featuring the undisputed king of the monsters himself - Godzilla. Since 1954, this giant reptilian has been stomping his way through cities battling various monsters of similar size with his brute strength and trademark atomic breath. Every time I hear Godzilla's signature roar, it gives me chills like the first time hearing a lightsaber turning on in "Star Wars" or the DeLorean from "Back to the Future" reaching 88 miles per hour. Likewise, the enormous gorilla Kong has also had his fair share of time in the spotlight, debuting all the way back in 1933 in the classic film "King Kong". With this in mind, it seems fitting that these two iconic titans of east and west should face off against each other at some point, having previously done so in 1962's "King Kong vs. Godzilla". Now in 2021, we have a brand new reimagining of such a rivalry, complete with better special effects and destruction galore. There's something so mindlessly satisfying in seeing giant monsters beating the hell out of each other while leaving heavy destruction in their wake. I guess it's all just part of the entertainment value we can take away knowing it's all in good fun and that we can be thankful such colossal creatures don't exist in real life. However, if you are expecting to be treated to anything else beyond this, you will be greatly disappointed. Regardless, if fighting monsters and gratuitous demolition of skyscrapers is what you crave, then this movie certainly delivers.

In addition to this, the film also touches on the mythology of these strange beasts (known as "Kaiju" in Japanese), with particular focus placed on Kong and his origins. I'm no expert on Kaiju lore or anything like that but I did enjoy that we got to see how these towering figures aren't evil beings with a lust for destroying everything, but rather neutral parties trying to establish their place at the top of the monster food chain. Of course, the level of neutrality varies for each of the two, with Kong perhaps being "True Neutral" and Godzilla being "Chaotic Neutral". For example, Kong is seen attempting to live peacefully on Skull Island under the pretense that he is in charge and nothing else can take that away from him. Later on, when Godzilla arrives to challenge this notion, an all out brawl ensues, much like how predator animals like big cats would fight one another to establish dominance. We are informed it has been like this for thousands of years and that human civilisation has only popped up recently, just being on the brink of learning how to co-exist among all this ongoing conflict.

There's not much to say about the film's human characters, as they are only there to help move the small remnants of the plot along. Most of them were either generic military personnel marked for death or scientific minds trying to make sense of all this madness. I suppose Millie Bobby Brown was the only actor in the film with some dimension to her, as anyone who saw 2019's "Godzilla: King of the Monsters" will recall her character and her importance in that story. I did also like the film's scenes with the deaf girl talking to Kong via sign language, as this reminded me of the famous gorilla Koko who was taught how to communicate with her trainers through similar means. In spite of all this, by the end of the movie, I couldn't recall a single name of anybody other than the titular monsters, remembering them by the actor's real names instead of their characters. At the same time though, it didn't really matter because at the end of the day we don't pay to see a giant monster movie for the human characters for the same reason we don't go to McDonald's to order a filet mignon. Godzilla and Kong's names are in the film's title and it should be obvious by now that they are the real stars here, not the humans.

As far as giant monster movies go, "Godzilla vs. Kong" does a serviceable job at entertaining us with frequent action and great special effects. It's mind numbingly simplistic but I wouldn't expect anything less. At this stage, it is unknown if there will be any more films in this "MonsterVerse" but I do see potential in the franchise continuing for as long as the demand is there. Since there are still plenty of threatening monsters out there to be dealt with, I remain hopeful.

I rate it 6.5/10
273 out of 463 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Jaw dropping visual affects and action!
chalithafreeze24 March 2021
One of the best popcorn flix you'll ever witness. This movie kept me on the edge of my seat from start to finish. This might get an Oscar for the best visual affects. Definitely worth our money and a great blockbuster! Don't miss this one guys..
392 out of 700 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great special effects with unbelievable stupid storyline
jaapeelman4 April 2021
The special effects in this movie are great and Kong looks really alive.

But my God, what an unbelievable stupid storyline in which really nothing makes sense.

In a movie like this you know that realism is far away but this movie is nr 1 in unrealism.

For instance going down in mother earth and the gravity reverses (WTF?) in a second crushing evrything going through. But Kong has no problem with it and the same for the humans in some kind of aircraft: ask a fighter-pilot what it feels like to pull 3G or more. And try to do it without a pressure-suit..... And than a whole world in the core of the earth?

Please, only make a dumb movie about Godzilla but not something stupid like this movie with Godzilla and Kong together.

The great special effects saved the movie a little bit and that's why I rated it a 5 but that is in fact to much.... Anyone giving it more that six stars should have a brain-examination.....
102 out of 171 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Titans great,humans not so great!
dev-4950929 March 2021
Although the human characters were kinda dull for a bit but the movie did gave us the spectacle which was promised. I am very pleased with titan brawl,vfx, and amazing soundtrack. I would be very happy if the monsterverse gets a green light to continue it's saga. Kudos to everyone is involved.

Watch the film in the biggest screen possible.
232 out of 408 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pretty much what you would expect
dr-cheyno4 April 2021
40 minutes of awesome battle scenes. 120+ minutes of annoying kids and a garbage plot.

Token child actor under 10 getting more screen time than Godzilla or Kong. (Tick) Boring/stupid plot (Tick) Little girl teaching Kong sign language..PLEASE!! Some of us have an IQ over 60. Stop assuming the audiences is going to be full of idiots.

Horrible acting (Tick) Name one decent performance in this movie, i dare you to find one.

Worth the watch but honestly you could basically just skip straight to the battle scenes and it will make NO difference plot wise. You will be missing absolutely nothing.

If you guys just listened to the reviews, the results would be amazing. Go back to the Godzilla/Kong roots. Not this modern Hollywood crap that's tailored for the mentally imapired.
103 out of 182 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Absolutely Great.
paul-868103 April 2021
Five years after Godzilla defeated King Ghidorah, Kong is monitored by Monarch within a giant dome on Skull Island. Kong is visited by Jia, the last Iwi native and Kong expert Ilene Andrews' adopted daughter, who is deaf and communicates with Kong via sign language.

Bernie Hayes, an employee of Apex Cybernetics and host of a Titan conspiracy theory podcast, extracts data suggesting sinister activities at a Pensacola facility. However, Godzilla suddenly attacks the facility; during the rampage, Bernie stumbles on a massive device. Madison Russell, a fan of Bernie's podcast, enlists her friend Josh to investigate Godzilla's attacks. Apex CEO Walter Simmons recruits Nathan Lind, a Hollow Earth theorist, to guide a search for a power source into the Hollow Earth, the homeworld of the Titans. Nathan is initially hesitant as his brother died on an expedition to Hollow Earth due to a strong reverse-gravitational effect. He agrees after Walter reveals that Apex has developed HEAVs, specialized crafts able to withstand the pressure exerted by the gravity field.

Nathan meets with Ilene and convinces her to let Kong guide them through the Hollow Earth via an outpost in Antarctica. Nathan, Ilene, and an Apex team led by Walter's daughter Maia board a modified barge escorted by the U. S. Navy that carries a sedated and restrained Kong. Godzilla attacks the convoy and defeats Kong, but retreats after the ships disable their power and trick him into thinking they are destroyed. To avoid alerting Godzilla, Kong is airlifted to the Hollow Earth entrance, and Jia convinces him to enter the tunnel while the team follows him in the HEAVs.

Madison and Josh find Bernie, who joins their investigation. They sneak into the wrecked Apex base, discover a secret facility underground, and are inadvertently locked into an underground monorail transport to an Apex facility in Hong Kong, where they unwittingly stumble on a test of Mechagodzilla. It is telepathically controlled by Ren Serizawa, the son of the late Ishiro Serizawa, through the neural networks from a severed head of Ghidorah, but is hobbled by its power supply's limitations. Walter intends to harness the Hollow Earth's energy to overcome Mechagodzilla's limitations.

Inside the Hollow Earth, Kong and the team find an ecosystem similar to Skull Island. They discover his species' ancestral throne room, where they find remains of an ancient war with Godzilla's kind and a glowing axe made from another Godzilla's dorsal plates. As they find the power source, the Apex team sends its signature back to their Hong Kong base despite Ilene's protests. Attracted by Mechagodzilla's activation, Godzilla arrives in Hong Kong, and sensing Kong, he directly drills a shaft to the throne room with his atomic breath. In the ensuing mayhem, Maia and the Apex team attempt to escape but their HEAV is crushed by Kong. Kong, Ilene, Jia, and Nathan ascend to Hong Kong, where Godzilla and Kong battle. Godzilla is initially overpowered by Kong, but Godzilla emerges victorious while Kong loses consciousness.

Madison, Josh, and Bernie are caught by security and taken to Walter. Despite Ren's concerns over the power source's volatility, Walter orders him to activate Mechagodzilla. They lose control of Mechagodzilla, who kills Walter and electrocutes Ren, and then attacks Hong Kong. Godzilla and Mechagodzilla battle, but Godzilla is overwhelmed. Nathan revives Kong by destroying the HEAV, and Jia convinces him to help Godzilla. As Mechagodzilla overpowers both Titans, Josh short-circuits Mechagodzilla's controls with Bernie's flask of liquor, momentarily interrupting the mech. Godzilla supercharges Kong's axe with his atomic breath, allowing Kong to destroy Mechagodzilla. Madison, Bernie, and Josh reunite with Mark Russell, while Godzilla and Kong acknowledge each other before the two go their separate ways. Sometime later, Monarch has established an observation post in the Hollow Earth, where Kong now rules.
61 out of 106 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dumb plot and bad science but cool monsters
catschasemice95945 April 2021
The human section of this film wasn't great. Too many stock characters in too many hinky plots. Incredibly weird and un sciencey explanations for doofy events. However, the monsters put on a series of entertaining bar fights. Kong gets Thor's magic axe. Zilla gets anger therapy. Will there be a Mrs Kong? Where were Gamera and Mothra?
58 out of 103 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Average Movie
kelvin_j_roberts25 March 2021
You get what you pay for. No way is this a 10/10 like I keep reading but it's on par with all the other movies in the monsterverse. I don't get why some of the human characters are even in the movie. They have pointless story lines and I feel are sometimes just there to tell the audience what is happening as kong, Godzilla and mecha all can't talk. 2 hours of not worrying what's going on it the world though so worth a watch.
197 out of 387 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best Action Family Movie.
movieexpert773 April 2021
Epic Godzilla Action Movie From Beginning To End.

Spectacular Production & Great Scenes Of Dragon Fights.

Delightful Film That Will Cheer You Up.

Satisfaction Guaranteed.
49 out of 87 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
GOD ๐Ÿฆ Of The Apes vs. KING ๐ŸŠ Of The Monsters: If You ENJOY Watching ...Way ๐Ÿ˜… Overblown, Plot-hole Riddled ๐Ÿง€ Action Fare, Then Prepare To Be, Well... { BLOWN-AWAY } ๐ŸŒ  ๐Ÿ‘โ—. Warning: Spoilers
______________________________________________________

Madison Russell : " ...There's something provoking him -{ referring to Godzilla }- that we're not seeing here... " .

______________________________________________________

" A Good, Old-fasioned, -{ Big }- Screen Review " .

So here's the thing. How is it that ...{ Evidently }... Maya, Lind, and Eileen & Jia, & the others, need 'Specially Constructed Deep Earth Crafts ๐Ÿš€' to blitz thru the so called "Gravity Inversion" point-of-contact on their way to 'Hollow Earth' ( in order to prevent them from turning into something akin to 'instant-ketchup' ) ; but the -( " essentially just as ORGANIC " )- Kong needs no such parameter of enhanced fortificationโ“In the final analysis, 'twas... " the ( Not ) so little things " such as -{ This }- in "Godzilla vs. Kong", aka "G.v.K", that left me feeling a little bit like the limits of ๐Ÿ‘‰{ Even }๐Ÿ‘ˆ this very decidedly, er... dicey, murky, & malleable thing known as " Movie-Science " , had, in this particular case, been stretched, well ...Way, Way { ๐Ÿค”โ—} past the point of acceptable, well, er . . . . . " Thin-Ness " .

But one thing is for certain. Director Adam Winguard { 'Outcast', 'The Guest', 'Blair Witch' } has mostly definitely exploited the living daylights out of his USD 200,000,000 { ๐Ÿ’ฃ๐Ÿ’ฅ } budget, to create a picture that is -{ Atleast }- as huge in Scope, as well as dynamism, as the monstrous & -( Utterly )- behemoth "Titans" that it pits against one another. Furthermore, ( & needless-to-say, almost, for those of you who've watched the trailers already ), most of the Artistic & Technical aspects of the production -( Cinematography, V.f.x, S.p.f.x, C.g.i, Music, Set-pieces, Casting )- are entirely "Par-Excellence", to say the -Least- . And -{ Yes }- , the Giga-dramatic & " beautifully-Evocative " Score from composer Tom Holkenborg literally sets an -{ already }- 'super-explosive' film... " Aflame { ๐Ÿ”ฅโ—} " with an anticipatory fervour that is all but impossible to stave off. Franchise 'newcomer' Rebecca Hall ( Ironman-3 ), 'monsterverse-favourites' Millie Bobby Brown & Kyle Chandler, and Demiรขn Bichir, Alexander Skarsgรฅrd, Eiza Gonzรกles, & Julian Dennison were all well & truly -{ Fantastic โœ… }- .

Although this time it was the two 'super-fresh' faces that really stood out for me. The first being the -{ Phenomenal }- African American comedic talent Bryan Tyree Henry , who -Literally- carries the film ๐ŸŒ  for the first 7ยฝ minutes or so, "almost single-handedly". The latter is a -{ Brand New }- entrant to the very world of big-screen performance itself, an absolutely, positively Angel-Faced Youngster from ( U.s )-Georgia named Kylee Hottle ๐ŸŒ  , who's -( Actually )- deaf in real life, -And- skilled in A.s.l, { or American Sign Language } ; & who was only, get this, 9 Years Old when GvK was filmed. She brings an 'Utterly Irrepressible' sense of Beauty, Innocence & Humanity to the entire movie, & -{ All }- her scenes with 'the great Kong' are just... { " Darling ๐ŸŒบโ—" } ...and that's -Not- an exaggeration. In fact, she -{ More Than }- makes up for the emotional depth that Godzilla-1's lead protagonist for the better part of the film, Aaron Taylor Johnson's 'Lieutenant Ford Brody'..... sadly ๐Ÿ˜” .....{ -Lacked- } .

Overall, I think this is a picture that would make the " Kaiju ๐Ÿ‘‰{ Japanese term of endearment for its subculture recognized the world over for 'Reveling' in giant monsters }๐Ÿ‘ˆ Crowd " as a collective... { -Pretty- } darn proud ...Indeed. However, as regards the " mechagodzilla ghithora Goliath " : I'm going to -Have- to say that I -Don't- think that I quite " Felt " that, for whatever reason. The film's creators might { actually } have been ๐Ÿ‘‰( Far )๐Ÿ‘ˆ better off employing some sort of " Much more Terrifying " .....( than 'Even' the undeniably fearsome 'Original' 3-headed gargantuar Ghithora from Godzilla-2 )..... -{ Cloned ๐Ÿ”ด }- monster, with -{ A Few }- mechanical 'Enhancements' made to it ; as opposed to going " Full-Blown Robot " on us. & Finally, to end on a positive note, I can't even -{ Begin }- to describe to you how " delightfully-Ecstatic ( ๐Ÿ’ฅ ๐Ÿคฃ ) " an experience it was, to watch that whole "bleach-Satire" episode play out .....( you'll -instantly- get what I mean, when you see it )..... referring, Of Course, to the -{ Thorough }- , & indeed 'bare naked' swipe the filmmakers took at one of ( " a certain " ) Donald. J. Trump's -{ Particularly }- infamous shenanigans in response to the Covid-19 Pandemic, during the latter part of 2020 .

Summary : The film ๐Ÿ‘‰{ Didn't }๐Ÿ‘ˆ have the impact that " Godzilla " { 1 & 2 }, -{ Or }- indeed, " Kong : Skull Island " had on me .... but-then-again.... I suppose it's incumbent & obligatory on my part to remind you, the reader, ( at -this- point ), that the 'all-crucial' "Novelty-Factor" within ( Any ) given movie franchise is -{ Bound ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™‚๏ธ }- to diminish... ( & Very-Significantly, At That ) ...with the advent of each new instalment, -Of- said franchise. So. -{ All }- things considered, I'm giving the picture " A Loud, Supportive 7.50 Marks Out Of 10 ๐Ÿ‘ ๐Ÿ’ฅโ—" .
52 out of 94 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good effects and only that
faer_kr25 March 2021
A crazy adventure movie with moments of action.

It is about a company that wants to go to a hole in the earth taking Kong as a guide and finding Godzilla.

The first half is slow and the story is so irrelevant.

Good effects.

Nice fight sequences, but that's after the middle of the movie.

Quality.

Entertaining the second half, if you don't see the first, nothing happens.

The passable performances.

They try to put two stories to fill in the time and even a third monster.

He does not talk about anything and does not seek something more than entertaining. It even feels more to sell.

The open ending for the sequel.

Crazy Sunday.
135 out of 271 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
ALMOST PERFECT!
tequillaau-7149424 March 2021
Got to see advance screening and was NOT dissapointed. Handles the whole Godzilla vs Kong debate question PERFECTLY. Ok depending on which camp you are in I guess, but either way... still perfect with a defined winner and a great outcome both ways.

Only Negatives. Lack of Godzilla theme from movie. (A must have even if only a 10 second burst in any Godzilla film).

Cant wait to see it again.
338 out of 731 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good enough
habikok28 March 2021
I hope the monsterverse keeps going after this one.
107 out of 219 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
[8.1] Win-Win for Godzilla and Kong!
cjonesas2 April 2021
"Godzilla vs. Kong" is a fantastic movie, better watched in the biggest screen possible, thus the theaters. It has an interesting storyline, decent acting, aside Jia (Kaylee Hottle) who did an amazing emotional job and for me gets a 10, stellar eye-candy VFX and superbly fitting sound and score.

It definitely improves on "Godzilla: King of the Monsters" and I tremendously liked all the scenes involving Kong. The VFX special effects Department did an awesome job in bringing the mighty Kong to life with his show of full ranges of emotions and those expressive eyes!

The battles were epic and I naively always ask myself, why oh why, do they need to destroy all those beautiful and modern buildings!, to rebuild them again...

Do yourself a favor, don't listen to any bad reviews, go find out and watch it for yourself, and be careful not to choke on your popcorns or throw them on your mask, while delightfully 'tasting' those yummy eye-candy sequences of action.

They are worth the watch, many times!

• Screenplay/premise: 7
  • Logic: 6.5
  • Flow: 8.5
  • Suspense/thrill: 8.5
  • Ending: 8.
28 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Rain, roars and retro lights Warning: Spoilers
Every human is so one dimensional and implausible that I can't even begin to understand the nature of this film. Where did eco-terrorist Alan Jonah go to? He took the Ghidorah skull from the last movie and then suddenly someone else gets it? Why is Dr Mark Russel even in this film? He does literally nothing in three different parts of the planet. Why does Ilene Andrews call after Jia when she runs off? She's DEAF! Why is Maya Simmons in this movie? She's the disposable daughter of the mad genius who displays no talent at all and dies off camera.

Let's ignore the sheer human deaths in the thousands in every major act. Yet in every film to date, these awful parents allow their children to interact with titans. Usually when it's raining. Let's forget that children are able to walk inside not one, not two, but three highly sophisticated and guarded locations without interference. Plus they hitch a ride into some kind of mag-lev container which is transporting eggs we never hear about again and has a display in MPH even though it's an Hong Kong craft. The only thing this film does better than Godzilla: King of the monsters is there's fewer scenes with rain. But there's still a ton of rain. Why? I don't know.

Why did they need Kong to "lead" them into hollow earth. They already had a reinforced cave leading to it. Kong didn't do anything except fall through a wormhole unscathed. While the humans needed three anti-gravity spaceships to travel there. And of course the debunked defamed author Nathan Lind is somehow also a pilot who once safely back home decides to stay airborne to watch the Titans battle it out instead of getting far away like a sane person might do. And this magical author/pilot found the single switch on the control panel which turns it into an ape defibrillator. And sure, chain up a titan on a transport boat but let's rig up a single lever to let him go. Hey, here's an idea, let's upload the essence of a dead hydra skull brain into a robot's energy source.

Let's talk about how every light source in the facilities, crafts and bases plus all the buildings are lit in neon trim like they looted the set of TRON:legacy. How come Apex needed this mysterious energy source from Hollow Earth and when they take a small sample, they only thing they needed was math to recreate it? Did you know all you need to interrupt a satellite uplink into an unguarded control room is a half flask of booze poured on the cooling fan? I didn't, but the randomly Australian comic relief did.

There's hardly a hint of blood from either monster even though Godzilla rakes its claws deep into Kong's flesh multiple times and both are dragged face-first into glass and steel buildings. Kong is also a master axe-man who uses the blade as a tool, a key and a shield.

I could go on and on about this film but I am exhausted. If only someone could fly a tiny spaceship into my chest and restart me.
25 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great action sequences
Larsii901 April 2021
Pretty good sequel. Amazing visual effects and non stop action, but I felt the story was a little confusing and convoluted. Despite that I still really enjoyed it.
24 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Gigantic Goose Egg
scott-16574 April 2021
Some of the best special effects I've yet seen and absolutely one of the stupidest movies. Maybe they should have taken one-tenth of the f/x budget and hired a decent screenwriter with it. Or housed some homeless. We have so much capability and, yet, wind up with something like this.

I can't say any of HBO Max's simultaneous new theatrical releases have impressed me. Maybe it's a generational thing.

My five out of ten is totally for the visuals. Everything else was a gigantic godilla egg.
50 out of 96 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pretty good for Godzilla fans
juansantiagosalazar28 March 2021
The movie is great for Godzilla fans, the fights are dynamic and fun, Mechagodzilla showing up was a nice surprise, and the original monsters like the Warbat and the skull crawlers are awesome. Some complaints I have include the fact that the only toho kaiju are Godzilla and Mechagodzilla, not even the ones from the last movie showed up, and the human characters aren't very compelling, but if you were a fan of the old vs movies in the Godzilla series, you'll probably like this one. (Sidenote, if you're one of those DC fanboys review bombing the movie, I hope your Minecraft dog dies)
103 out of 211 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Will be seeing it again ... many times
dennis-vranic26 March 2021
OK, so maybe I am biased as have always been avid Godzilla fan but this movie was everything I expected. CGI and sound was amazing but would have been nice to hear some of the original Godzilla theme. Cannot fault this movie as it had the perfect ending and walked away with a huge smile on my face. Only downside is the time I have to wait to see it again.
216 out of 464 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.