Bordello of Blood (1996) Poster

Good Bloody Fun.
Mr_Censored6 February 2010
Blood, breasts, vampires and Chris Sarandon. How can you go wrong?

"Bordello of Blood," the second "Tales From The Crypt" feature film, supplies the viewer with ample amounts of all of the above, leaving room for little else. What it lacks in story, it more than makes up for in its cheap thrills, and as far as midnight guilty pleasures go, this one is about as good as it gets.

The story revolves around a good-girl (Erika Eleniak) whose delinquent brother (Corey Feldman) goes missing. Upon hiring a wise-cracking private detective, it is revealed that a local morgue is housing a brothel run by a gang of beautiful but deadly vampires. Armed with super-soakers full of holy water and with the help of a guitar-slinging reverend (Chris Sarandon), the two set out to put the joint out of business once and for all.

Dennis Miller is essentially playing himself, but keeps the humor pumping through the film's ridiculous premise. Chris Sarandon, likewise, is in top form as the genre hero he truly is. As mentioned before, there's plenty of bare-flesh and red-stuff to go around, and if that sort of thing is your bag, you'll have a blast with "Bordello of Blood." Take it for the cheap thrill ride it is.
14 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of my favorite guilty pleasures: a most awesome B-movie extravaganza!!!
mattymatt4ever24 September 2001
I don't have much of an opinion on this flick. Because what's there to analyze? Gratuitous violence. Gratuitous gore. Gross-out effects strictly for shock value. Gratuitous nudity and close-ups of big breasts. What we have here is a feminist's nightmare. What we also have is an absolute blast!!!

I'm sure women won't enjoy this as much and will probably b*tch about the overdose of female nudity, but for all you guys who just don't give a damn and just want to kick back and have a good time: You will love this movie!! This is like a mix of Wes Craven and Howard Stern. A supreme guilty pleasure!

I enjoy deep, artistically brilliant films like "American Beauty" and "Magnolia," but there's no reason I can't enjoy a campy, shallow, sleazy horror flick like this. I don't ONLY enjoy these types of flicks, but I can enjoy it as long as it's done in a fun, tongue-in-cheek, unpretentious manner. I just want to get that straight. OK, I'll go on. :)

Dennis Miller provides great comic relief in his lead role. Those who are fans of his schtick should look forward to this movie. The horror sequences, though sometimes cheesy, are great fun to watch. There's a spectacular sequence at the end with excellent usage of the song "Ballroom Blitz." There are other great classics like "All Right Now" and "Jailbreak." That's why I bought the soundtrack. It's awesome!

So this movie fits the "guy flick" stereotype like a glove. If you're not in the mood for excessive violence, gore and female nudity--don't watch this movie! Don't say I didn't warn you.

My score: 7 (out of 10)
31 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bordello of Blood in one scene
aeroboy3 September 2006
"Bordello of Blood" is about a Christian woman (Erika Eleniak) who is looking for his missing goth brother (Corey Feldman) and therefore hires a private detective to find him (Dennis Miller). It turns out that the women of the bordello are vampires, and the place is being run by a Reverend (Chris Sarandon) who wants to get rid of sinners.

Lots of comments deal with the fact that this movie is gory and filled with nudity; it's true, and I think there is a scene that captures its spirit:

Dennis Miller and the Reverend, decide to kill Lilith (Angie Everhart), the "leader" of the vampires. Of course, they have to deal with the vampire women in the house first, so the decide to carry...Waterguns filled with Holy Water!!! Then all hell breaks loose: they shoot their water guns at the nude women, who explode into guts or get caught on fire after being hit. This happens while "Ballroom Blitz" is being played.

Overall "Bordello of Blood" its not as scary as it is silly. Dennis Miller is great as the detective, and there is a cameo appearance by Whoopi Goldberg as a patient in a hospital.
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dennis Miller rules!
JCrewPsycho19801 June 2003
This movie is funny as hell and has tons of gore, why don't people like this? The great Chris Sarandon is also in this(Fright Night) and we get to see one of the Coreys play a fun vampire. Oh yeah, there are hundreds of hot women with breast implants running around naked and exploding. This movie is awesome!
20 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Funny...trashy, but funny
AllisonLVenezio25 October 2005
Before I write this interview, I wanted to just explain that I have been a Dennis Miller fan since I was 11 (1994), and he was the only reason I saw this movie. I also think he was one of the aspects of this movie that held redeeming value. In addition, purchased it new for less than $10 a few years ago, and it is in my Halloween movie collection. With that out of the way, I'll start my review.

Vampress Lilith (Angie Everhart) is brought to life again after a long rest in one of the far corners of the world by Reverend Jimmy Current (Chris Sarandon) and his partner Vincent. The two establish a bordello disguised as a funeral home to attract "evil" local young men. The men can "get stiff among the stiffs," but men start disappearing. This disappearance of local young men hits close to home for Katherine Verdoux(Erika Eleniak) when her rebellious younger brother Caleb (Corey Feldman) goes missing. So, she hires a Rafe Guttman (Dennis Miller) a wisecracking, seedy private investigator with good intentions and a quite unusual case--all involving this mortuary with secrets. Rafe and Katherine put themselves into a mystery that crosses the boundary of the living and the dead--rather, the undead.

This movie, thought quite funny, is a bad movie. That's just how it is. Going into this movie, the title itself is an indication of how trashy or bad it really is. But man, is it a fun trip! I found myself laughing at pretty much all the right scenes and all the right lines. Its as though the lines are tailored for Miller himself, it is perfect shtick for him. Most of the movies he's been in had parts written especially for him, but this was perfect. My first impression of Rafe is that he's a jerk, but I discovered (rather quickly) that he is rather good-natured and good-intentioned, and that he truly wants to help Katherine out.

There are two scenes I absolutely loathed about this movie--the scene where Lilith encounters Rafe in his office (I turn the channel off or fast-forward the tape), and the opening scene of the movie where Lilith is discovered by Rev. Current and Vincent (this is only watchable once). Otherwise, this movie is quite funny and interesting if you plan on getting into it. My biggest beef (spoiler) is that we don't even meet our hero until roughly 20 minutes into the movie! When you're first billed, doesn't this mean you'll show up earlier in the film? I guess someone missed one of the most important parts of film-making, or at least credit order. But, its OK, really, it's not the worst thing about the film.

This is essentially a bad movie. I read another review that says that it seems Dennis Miller is letting the viewers know this. He sure is! This is one of those so-bad-it's-funny kind of movies (why it used to be in the horror section of the video store I have no idea). However, Dennis Miller is hysterical in it!! I loved his moments--he had a lot of good ones.

I liked when he goes to the "Cunningham wake," and watches as the men lift the coffin out of the room, but struggle with it. Guttman, observing the scene, says "Wow, she really was a heavyweight." He does make some of the most classically bad facial expressions I have witnessed in a long time (honestly, after seeing this, I want to know what acting school I have to go to just to learn to "Act the Dennis Miller Way"). My favorite scenes are the Super Soaker scene (I won't divulge on this too much, not to spoil it, but it is a classic scene not to me missed), the scene where he sneaks back into the mortuary to investigate, and when Rafe heads into the coffin drop to visit the Bordello.

So why 7 out of 10 stars? One point deducted for the opening scene, which tends to be long and drawn-out. Watch this once, and you'll understand what is going on. What redeems this film is that after this point in the film, it becomes better, and the plot begins to move a little. One the same point, the entire first twenty minutes of the film is a complete drag. Skip the introduction on the next viewing. Another point deducted for the scene where Lilith encounters Rafe in his office--this scene is just a complete turn-off to me (2, 4, 6, 8--You can watch me masturbate!--yuck). And a third point deducted for the nudity. Yes, I know, it's a bordello, yes, they're supposed to be nude. But, I 'm a female, and I don't take pleasure in watching naked women prance around. But, I'm flexible, so I pushed past that dislike and ignored it. The bad acting isn't even a negative--it adds to the movie's silly nature.

This is a great Halloween movie, but non-Dennis Miller fans may be turned off by it. Maybe not, I don't know. The acting is pretty bad, but that's the point--it's not Oscar-caliber material. I highly recommend this movie--it has its moments that make is memorable (probably not for all the right reasons, but it tries). Some classic scenes make it funny, and you just may watch it more than once (I have!). Just try not to read too much into it. It really is quite an enjoyable diversion.
10 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Slightly inferior to Demon Knight, but in some ways better
TBJCSKCNRRQTreviews27 July 2004
While I enjoyed the humor and the Crypt Keepers puns more in this than in Demon Knight, the overall experience of this is just slightly inferior. This one suffers mainly under not having such an entertaining villain/main monster as the first one; Lilith does have some decent lines, but almost all of them were sexual innuendos, which gets old a little too fast. The Collector was more entertaining, with his cynical and sarcastic personality. There's also less "action" in this one, though there might be slightly more gore. In this one, the plot also moves along a little too slowly, considering the fact that it's only meant as entertainment; with that in mind, you have to wonder why it takes so long to tell the story and get to the gore and blood. The ending sequence was also slightly less entertaining and exciting than the one in Demon Knight. Like Demon Knight, the film manages to bring in plenty of both sex and violence, often both at the same time. Apart from Rafe(Dennis Miller), there weren't really any interesting or entertaining characters. Miller does a really great job, portraying the type of character he usually does; a slimy, sarcastic jerk. That is the Miller that we fans know and love. It's nice to see him in a role that compliments his talents so well. The film, like Demon Knight, is very gory and violent, although apart from the Crypt Keepers puns, and some of Miller's lines, this didn't have that much to offer. It's good enough to watch, if you've got 90 minutes to kill, and you don't want to see Demon Knight, don't want to re-watch it, or can't find it. The films are both worth watching, but I'd suggest Demon Knight over this one. I recommend it(like the first) to fans of gory horror films, and people who just want to be entertained for 90 minutes without having to think very much. 6/10
22 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Incredibly schlocky, but fun
dj_bassett18 February 2005
BORDELLO is far inferior to FROM DUSK TIL DAWN, which came out around the same time, but both have similar central ideas: a bordello (well, in DAWN it was a strip bar) that's a front for vampires. This one's in the basement of a funeral home; Corey Feldman's an early victim. Dennis Miller (of all people -- was Jon Lovitz out sick that week?) is the PI who's looking into Feldman's disappearance for Erika Eleniak, a born-again type.

Pluses include tons of gratuitous nudity, tons of gratuitous gore, Corey Feldman, who belongs in these kind of roles, Dennis Miller wisecracking his way through everything, a midget, a creepy old guy playing a necrophiliac, good uses of "Thirty Days in the Hole" and "Ballroom Blitz", and Angie Everhart chewing the scenery. Minuses include too much Chris Sarandon, too much of the spectacularly unfunny Cryptkeeper, not nearly enough vampire sex to suit me (we're in a bordello, c'mon), and a bit too much lazy "we know it sucks, just ride with it" vibe for my taste.

So it's not a schlock masterpiece. But its fun, and even it's tongue in cheek tone is preferable to the self-serious schlock one puts up with nowadays.
11 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Funny Black Comedy with a Great Conclusion
claudio_carvalho25 January 2015
The dwarf Vincent Prather (Phil Fondacaro) leads an expedition to the Tierra del Fuego following an ancient map. He arrives at a cave where there is a coffin instead of a treasure. He opens a box with four pieces of a heart and revives the mother of all vampires Lilith (Angie Everhart) that kills his employees. Vincent uses a key artifact with blood to control and protect himself from Lilith.

The punk Caleb Verdoux (Corey Feldman) has an argument with his sister Katherine Verdoux (Erika Eleniak ) and leaves their house to go to a bar to meet a friend. They learn that there is an amazing brothel at 325 Beaumont, a funeral home where they should ask for the Cunningham Wake. They are received by the mortician McCutcheon (Aubrey Morris) and soon they go to the brothel. However Lilith runs the place and the girls are vampires. Caleb's friend is killed by Lilith that that rips his heart out of his chest and then Caleb is attacked by her.

Katherine goes to the precinct to report that her brother is missing but the police officer does not give much attention to her. The private investigator Rafe Guttman (Dennis Miller) overhears her conversation and offers his services to Katherine. The snoopy Rafe tracks Caleb's path and he discovers that the brothel seems to be a lair of vampires. But Katherine, who works with Reverend Current (Chris Sarandon) that has a business connection with Lilith, does not believe in his word. Now Rafe is seeking evidences to prove to Katherine that he is telling the truth.

"Bordello of Blood" is an underrated gore comedy of vampires. The plot is funny, with beautiful and hot female vampires, and also with a great unexpected conclusion. The comedy is a funny parody of horror and crime genres with the sexy Angie Everhart and Erika Eleniak. But Dennis Miller steals the movie in the role of a sleazy but efficient private eye. Lilith's tongue reaching the heart of her victims is hilarious; however the funniest scene is when Rafe teams up with Reverend Current and they use squirt guns with holy water to defeat the female vampires, exploding them. When the viewer expects a happy ending, with the good guy and the good girl together, there is an unforeseen conclusion. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "O Bordel de Sangue" ("The Brothel of Blood")

Note: On 06 November2020, I saw this film again.
10 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Well, not AS bad as I expected... but not as good as Demon Knight... =)
GrbgFAN11 August 1999
Ok, I am a female, so I really got annoyed by all the nudity in it of women... but, besides that, I think people are being too hard on this movie... If you rent a Tales From The Crypt movie, don't expect something very good... but I was a little dissapointed when I saw this, because I think Demon Knight is about one of the best horrors made, and I was surprised that their second film was far different than Demon Knight... This one, Bordello Of Blood, was more funny than anything (quite funny humor I must admit at some points in the movie) with gore, that's all it was, funny and bloody, I was shocked that this movie really didn't have a real plot to it (none that I realized anyway) except obviously, there was vampires, and they wanted them dead... Did I miss something? In Demon Knight, there was a strong plot, great acting, (Especially, Billy Zane...) And funny, gory, exciting, etc., but this was just... pretty plain. If you are expecting a good vampire movie out of this, go watch something else... may I recommend John Carpenter's Vampires? A more serious, believable vampire movie =), but hey, COME ON... this movie isn't THAT bad... is it? The whole idea of it was dumb, and I think made for men, and that isn't fair to us female fans of Tales From The Crypt... am I missing something? Well, maybe the "boss" the cryptkeeper IS a guy, I guess he has say-so about what is put in the movies...
23 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Decent, campy, vampire flick from the HBO Series.
hu67523 November 2007
A wise-cracking sleazy Private Eye Rafe Guttman (Dennis Miller) is been hired from a born again lady (Erika Eleniak) to find her punk goth brother (Corey Feldman). Rafe discovers an bordello, which it's also a funeral home. Then he meets the seductive Lillith (Angie Everhart), who's actually Queen of the Vampires. Her sexy employees are also vampires, which they seduced lonely or horny mens for survival. Now Rafe has to destroy Lillith before it's too late.

Directed by Gilbert Alder made an watchable tongue in cheek horror/comedy from the popular HBO series. Which it was inspired by the horror comic books of the 1950's of the same title "Tales from the Crypt". The cast seems to be having a great time here, including Chris Sarandon (Who played an seductive vampire in "Fright Night") and Phil Fondacaro as Vincent. Especially when Miller and Sarandon are destroying Vampires with Supersoakers. This is the second film from what it meant to be a trilogy. Which the first movie was "Demon Knight", it was a modest box office success. When "Bordello of Blood" flopped at the box office, the third film never happened sadly.

Perphas the problem with the picture, it's the script by the director and A L Katz. It's never as good or amusing as we hoped to be. Although the story credit came from Bob Gale (Back to the Future Trilogy, Trespass, Used Cars) and Oscar-Winner Director:Robert Zemeckis (Beowulf, Cast Away, The Polar Express). Probably if Gale and Zemeckis wrote the script instead, this could have been a much enjoyable movie. Which they wrote excellent scripts together. The film is occasionally funny and Miller does his best by making this fun. There's enough campy sleaze, dark humour, in-jokes and gore by seeing this uninspired picture worth a look. The motion picture soundtrack of the movie is a lot better than the movie to some degree. William Sadler and Oscar-Winner:Whoopi Goldberg appears in amusing cameos. (***/*****).
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
You Might Get Infected By Just Watching.
tfrizzell13 November 2003
Dennis Miller tries to stop a group of female bi-sexual vampires (led by the ultra-erotic Angie Everhart) who pose as prostitutes at a funeral home that acts as a front for a supposed prostitution ring. By the way, I am completely serious. "Bordello of Blood" is a crazed mess that is so hilarious because of its stupidity that it nearly becomes a deceptive winner. This is the second film of the mid-1990s from "The Tales From the Crypt" HBO series (the equally under-achieving "Demon Knight" was released in 1995). I personally like this picture a little more because it does not take itself too seriously and almost works better as a parody. However the film never rises from its very odd premise as its tone is unclear and the immensely funny situations are sometimes over-shadowed by very graphic violence and constant sexual situations. Arguably Miller's finest performance (go figure that one too) and the steamy vampires are not quite enough to keep "Bordello of Blood" from needing a shot for its STDs (Seriously Tedious Dilemmas). 2 stars out of 5.
13 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Who doesn't like a good piece of cheese?
ZED-301 September 1999
Let's face it...this was a B-movie, Universal just put some more money into it. They massacred the vampire lore, but since this is a B-movie, it doesn't matter. Dennis Miller is hilarious as always; and what cheesy horror flick is genuine without Corey Feldman. The only discrepancy I have with this movie are the Cryptkeeper segments. They were just a remake of a Cryptkeeper segment from a TV episode. The only difference was that William Sadler was dressed up as the mummy instead of the Grim Reaper (a reprisal of his role in "Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey").
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A stupid movie that is fun to watch. Not as good as Demon Knights.
TOMNEL17 June 2005
Bordello of Blood-1996-Dennis Miller, Erika Eleniak, Chris Sarandon, Aubrey Morris, Corey Feldman, Angie Everhart, Phil Fondacaro, John Kassir(as the cryptkeeper) and William Sadler(as the mummy).

This is a very silly movie. After Katherine's(Eleniak) Gothic brother Kaleb(Feldman) goes missing, she calls on an investigator Rafe Guttman(Miller) to find him. The search ends at a whore house where he had gone earlier in the film. Chris Sarandon is so funny and over the top and really steals the show. He plays a crooked priest that sends sinners to their death at a bordello that Kaleb had gone to earlier. Angie Everhart plays the head vampire Lillith and is one of the worst actresses ever so lucky for you, she isn't in all that much of it, but she is in too much. The film has the minor subplot opening and closing of the cryptkeeper at a café with his old friend the mummy talking about how their tomb isn't big enough for the both of them.

My rating-6/10. rated R for nonstop nudity and sexual humor, strong language, some gory violence and a scene with some crude fart jokes.
8 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Enough words to meet the requirements for a review
jessegehrig18 September 2013
The only problem with this movie is Dennis Miller. Well, then there is Corey Feldman, O.K. the only two problems with this movie are Dennis Miller and Corey Feldman. The actual story, y'know, the story the producers should have gone with, is the story of the TV preacher played by Chris Sarandon and his deal with Angie Everhart's Lilith. That's the story, that's where all the life is. Dennis Miller seems merely inserted into the action, like he got some points in his contract where he gets his own movie in exchange for services to be rendered later, so he is retrofitted into some script, in this case a Tales From The Crypt thing. It all comes off so forced and superfluous to the plot. That and Dennis Miller has no charisma, he's is an unpleasant little man devoid of life and vitality. But you do get to see some titties.
Fun and cheesy B-movie flick
ODDBear12 December 2008
Well this is fun. Admittedly you have to be in the mood for a cheesy, somewhat silly B-movie horror flick but if you're in the right frame of mind this will do the trick.

Also, maybe it's better that you're somewhat fond of Dennis Miller, since he basically carries this vampire flick. He's never out of character and if you've seen him once on "The O'Reilly Factor"...that's in short what you'll get.

The story here...well, Miller plays a P.I. who uncovers a brothel full of vampires. In the great "Tales from the Crypt" tradition, this is full of great gore, low-brow humor and and a twist ending to boot.

The cast here is great, with lovely eye-candy's courtesy of Angie Everhart and Erika Eleniak, the slightly-better-half of the Corey's (that reminds me, I have to dig up "Licence to Drive" one of these days) and the sorely underrated Chris Sarandon hamming it up as a crazy preacher doin' the Lord's work in inventive ways.

While not as successful as "Demon Knight", "Bordello of Blood" is a fun horror flick that packs in a good dose of silly humor and gore. What's not to like?
Funny and entertaining
stephen-5910 August 1999
I don't care what anyone say's this is a good movie. It's funny and really entertaining. There isn't a dull moment. But it doesn't really belong in the horror movie genre actually there is no genre for Horror/Comedy/Action/Porn.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"You're reminding me why being married to you drove me to the brink of homosexuality."
utgard144 August 2014
Private eye Rafe Guttman (Dennis Miller) is hired by Katherine Verdoux (Erika Eleniak) to find her missing brother Caleb (Corey Feldman). Rafe's search leads him to a brothel run by centuries-old vampire Lilith (Angie Everhart). The second of the 'Tales from the Crypt Presents' movies is nowhere near as good as the criminally underrated Demon Knight. It's not a scary movie, nor does it really try to be. It's a comedy, with Dennis Miller having a ball throwing out one liner after one liner. If only the rest of the movie matched his performance. The story is so slight you'll wonder if the entire script was jotted down on a napkin. The movie's primary selling point is sex and nudity, of which there is not a lot. Especially disappointing when you consider that the two most well-known women in the film, Everhart and Eleniak, never appear nude. Still, a fun tone with a great turn by Miller makes it worth watching once.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Angie Everhart makes it worth while
mitsub001-110 September 2003
How often do you get a chance to see the most beautiful redhead that ever walked the Earth as a vampire? Exactly. Add a few funny one liners from the great Dennis Miller, some decent effects and semi-humorous story and you get exactly what you paid for on your local video store's dollar day! But try not to stare when Angie is on because your drool will short out your remote. Mine did..:) 7/10
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A lot of fun, T's and A's aplenty
obe-one15 December 2000
My second favorite vampire movie behind "Dusk till Dawn". There are similarities between the two movies beside the obvious, they both have tongue-in-cheek humor, blood, gore and babes. Dennis Miller plays..... well, he basically plays himself minus the $5.00 college words as he's a down and out private eye. He has the best lines in the movie, hands down. If you like the first "Dusk till Dawn" movie, you should enjoy this.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dennis Miller + vampires = Fun!
tbill7 October 2000
Dennis Miller finding himself stuck in a gore flick is much funnier than I expected. Combine his sarcastic wit with a bunch of vampires and other things that go bump in the night and you'll have an idea of what you have to look forward to. Lots of blood, breasts and beasts for those who love such things, IYKWIM&ITYD.
Not a bad vampire spoof
helpless_dancer17 January 2000
Dennis Miller was funny. The film was pretty good, but I would have preferred a more serious undertaking. Lots of good looking women, gruesome makeup, and campy devices made for a good time. Miller's character appealed to me; I like a tough, wise cracking detective with a heart of gold. I found the ending totally satisfying.
Atrocious
harryplinkett1425 August 2013
Words cannot describe just how bad this thing is. The plot is nonsensical, the characters empty, the dialogue beyond moronic, the action boring, the scares non-existent, the humour completely absent. Add to that poor direction and some of the most confusing editing ever witnessed in cinema... This is an orgy of stupidity and bad taste. It boggles the mind how a project like this ever got greenlighted.

Nothing in this film makes sense and apart from the stupidity one can't help but notice the nudity. I suppose the target audience for this were males between the ages of 12 and 16, with raging hormones, IQ below 70, and no sex life.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Reasonably entertaining campy vampire tale.
Hey_Sweden12 January 2012
"Bordello of Blood" does offer some undemanding B movie entertainment, even if it's never quite as much fun as one might like it to be. At least it never pretends to take itself very seriously, and star Dennis Miller, playing wise ass, low rent private eye Rafe Guttman, apparently concocted much of his sardonic dialogue himself. Rafe is hired by uptight Katherine Verdoux (Erika Eleniak) to locate her indolent brother Caleb (a well cast Corey Feldman), and tracks him to the mortuary, doubling as a bordello, where Caleb is last seen, tangling with evil boss vampire Lilith (Angie Everhart) and teaming up with slick televangelist J.C. Current (Chris Sarandon). While it's not really all that funny, the attempt by Miller and company to give their material that tongue in cheek flavour is still appreciated. Things get off to a fine start with The Crypt Keeper joined by a mummy, played by the ever dependable William Sadler, the hero of the first 'Tales from the Crypt' movie, "Demon Knight". The actors are all quite entertaining to watch. The casting of Sarandon is a decent in-joke seeing that he was the charming vampire-next-door in "Fright Night" and is one of the vampire slayers here. Feldman fans may be disappointed that he's only around for the first and final thirds, but he IS a hoot and makes the most of his brief screen time. Sexy Everheart clearly is relishing the role of the blood sucking babe; she, Eleniak, Kiara Hunter, Leslie Ann Phillips, and Juliet Reagh provide delectable eye candy. Supporting performances by Aubrey Morris (as McCutcheon) and Phil Fondacaro (as Vincent) are quite amusing. The gore effects are very entertaining and the soundtrack features some solid vintage and then-current rock tunes. Gilbert Adler, one of the producers of the TV series, made his feature film directing debut here, and does a decent job. Overall, the movie is a perfectly acceptable combination of sex, gore, and humour, and the pacing stays pretty consistent throughout. It's not as good as "Demon Knight", but it's not bad either. Be sure to watch out for the uncredited cameo appearance by Oscar winning actress Whoopi Goldberg. Seven out of 10.
Excellent Dennis Miller Vehicle
Robert_Wagner6215 November 2008
What at 1st I thought was going to be a disappointing film, really surprised me and had my laughing as well as almost getting scared. Dennis Miller stole the show, even with the bordello full of beauties, Erika Eleniak, Angie Everhart and others, Dennis is in top notch form as the new Bob Hope in this gore & breast fest of one liners and jabs at the vampire world in general.

You don't need to know the plot, you won't even care, if you want to laugh and get a bit scared, this is a great film to do that. Corey Feldman plays a misguided brother of Sweet Erika and Dennis Miller plays the Private Detective who is as funny as he is broke, hanging out at police stations looking for work...He needs to gain some respectability and Erika gives him the chance...

You need to watch this film if you are a fan of the genre, Dennis had to be ad libbing, and as usual he is a excellent with puns & one liners...plainly the man is a comedic genius.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not as good as Demon Knight, but well worth watching.
michaeldaly9920 August 2005
This was the second "Tales From The Crypt" film, released only a year after the first, the excellent "Demon Knight" with Billy Zane and William Sadler. That film was truly an excellent start, but I think they rushed it a bit by throwing this one out less than a year later. The Crypt Keeper needs to rest too...

And maybe if this film hadn't failed at the box office, we might have got another season out of the show. At this stage, it was still running strong, with guest actors like Ewan McGreggor and Joe Pesci. Anyhow, yeah, the movie.

What's evident from the start is that Bordello of Blood is totally tongue-in-cheek. It's all slapstick humour, witty/sharp lines, there's nothing serious here - no room for any of the trademark Crypt horror or tension from the first. It's about a placid detective (Dennis Miller, kickin ass I must say) investigating the disappearance of some horny young fella (played by clearly-not-a-teen-anymore Corey Feldman - haha, he's in a movie again!) which leads him to some kind of vampire brothel where the girls don't just take your money, they bleed you dry! From the trailer I had my doubts about Dennis Miller, but I must say he's rather charismatic as the sarcastic sleazebag Detective Rafe Guttman. He doesn't show too much depth, but that's not what this films about, he's just there to keep you smirking away. Chris Sarandon plays some cop.. I don't remember who he is, but his name sounds familiar. Hey, look, it's Corey Feldman!! I'm glad to see he's getting a role in something decent in the 90s, but this guy was.. well, really crap. Maybe it's just how his character was written, but come on, Corey. Ya gotta stop sucking if you want more roles like The Lost Boys. Get your own adult animated comedy or something, just forget about the past. You're too old to be playing The Kid Who Killed Jason in Friday the 13th Part 4 by now. The female stars are the vampires, including supermodel Angie Evahart, and there's a solid main performance by Erika Eliniak, Corey Feldman's sister - but ya gotta wonder why Corey's parents aren't too concerned about his disappearance. Why does his sister have to cover his ass? Also present is Tales From The Crypt veteran William Sadler. Ya gotta love this guy for his devotion! He's appeared in more than one episode (I think), and both films by now! Although he was just a mummy, and I don't remember him, it kicks ass that he's there!...man! John Kassir plays the Crypt Keeper, and ya gotta love how the films are introduced and ended exactly like the episodes are, with Kassir's appearance. I know many dislike the Crypt Keeper, and I can see where they're coming from, but I've always dug the guy. He's as sharp as ever here, with his usual legendary one liners.. ("Quit while you're a-head..") Neither of the Crypt films truly captured the show, but that's probably because of their length that the screenplays get a bit drawn out to fill it. And like the first film, this runs short at only 87 mins - a good thing too, any longer would have been too long.

This was great fun to watch, and much better than I'd anticipated after it's score here. I recommend buying the Region 1 DVD which has this and the first film, Demon Knight. Two films on one disc for $15, that's value right?