planktonrules

Page 1 of 1805:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

I feel like they want me to feel bad for her, but I just hated her., 1 June 2015

I was shocked at many of the reactions to this film, as a lot of folks really liked it, some felt it was a comedy and some felt that the Japanese business people in this film were racist or unfair towards the lead, Amelie. I just thought she was a horrible employee who blundered into the Japanese business world without doing her homework and wanted it to change to suit her. Frankly, from what I saw in the film, I would assume that she wouldn't have fit in at any company in Belgium, either. Because of this, I had a hard time caring about this lady and felt that a look at how different Japanese business culture is from the West was totally obscured.

When the film begins, newly graduated Amelie begins work at a Japanese company. Apparently, she'd been born in Japan and longed to return there and make a success of herself in the country. However, almost from the start, she makes mistake after mistake-- some of which she might have avoided if she asked her supervisor for clarification or if she'd bothered to learn ANYTHING about the culture. It's very odd that someone who was born in the country and lived there until age 5 would know practically nothing about the Japanese business world. Sadly, it also appeared as if she really didn't want to know as well.

When Amelie makes mistakes, her usual way of dealing with it is to argue with her bosses, make excuses and view herself as some sort of martyr. In fact, in a particularly tasteless part of the film, she compares her plight to those murdered by the Japanese during WWII. How do war crimes somehow seem to be the same as a boss yelling at her (usually after she did something that showed that she was either woefully ignorant of the company culture)?

Oddly, the film was designed as some sort of indictment of the Japanese. I was flabbergasted by this. My daughter (who studied in Japan) and wife (who worked in corporate America and spent time in Japan doing business) were also shocked by this and found Amelie to be thoroughly unprofessional and unlikable...and didn't understand so many of her complaints about the Japanese business people. And, the movie's attempts to get the audiences to dislike these Japanese people seemed contemptible and racist.

Despite the film begin technically well made, its message just seemed ugly and self- absorbed. The story is apparently autobiographical and the author clearly was in love with herself throughout the entire film. She also, in a very, very ugly finale, seemed gleeful that her old supervisor was 'old' and unmarried by the end of the film while SHE was a successful author who now was obtaining revenge on her old company with her book! How incredibly ugly--and I resent being a pawn in her strange revenge fantasy.

I really liked this one!!!, 1 June 2015

This is the second part of a wonderful two-parter. While I loved the original "Mirror, Mirror" episode from the old "Star Trek", this evil parallel universe was way, way overused in some of the subsequent Trek spin-offs. At first I liked it when the crew of Deep Space 9 was visited by these evil parallel doubles but after so many follow-ups, it became way overused. What I loved about "Mirror, Mirror" was its originality. Fortunately, in "Star Trek: Enterprise", they managed to use the old concept but infuse it with wonderful originality and life. I think this two-parter is in the must see category for fans.

In the previous episode, Archer orchestrated a mutiny in order to try to steal a ship that was somehow stolen from the future. With it, he planned on taking over the evil empire and being its evil emperor. However, in part two, there were some hiccups, including a Gorn aboard the stolen ship that was trying to disable the vessel as well as the machinations of the evil and often disloyal crew. Can Archer manage to rule this awful parallel universe?!

This episode has so much going for it. Like part one, the normal intro for the show is replaced by an evil intro--complete with martial music and clips of war and violence! It also did NOT feature nice beings from our universe--just very, very bad ones from theirs. It was NOT like the nice Trekkie folks getting stuck there but as if it was a show intended for an evil audience to enjoy! It also featured a deliciously evil ending--with no redemption, no nice ending and just more of the awfulness that make this parallel world fun to watch. My only complaint is a minor one--why make a CGI Gorn when the CGI quality was that poor and obviously fake? I really think the original "Star Trek" Gorn looked better!!

Deliciously evil!, 31 May 2015

Back during the runs of "Star Trek: Deep Space 9" and "Star Trek: Voyager", the "Mirror, Mirror" plot from the original "Star Trek" was resurrected again and again. While I loved the original "Mirror, Mirror", the great evil parallel universe idea was bled dry--with way too many revisitations of the idea. Fortunately, this idea was only used in this and the following episode...plus the style and look of these shows is amazing. What do I mean by this? The normal, wimpy intro to "Star Trek: Enterprise" has instead been replaced with a militaristic intro--complete with the symbol of the evil parallel Federation!

When the show begins, the Zefram Cochran first contact scene from "Star Trek: First Contact" is shown and things seem just fine. However, this has been re-edited--and you realize it when Cochran (James Cromwell) opens fire--killing the Vulcan visitors!!

The scene now cuts to the evil Enterprise--complete with most of the same crew from "Star Trek: Enterprise". But, like in "Mirror, Mirror", these folks are evil, conniving and rotten. How rotten??!! See the show and see for yourself!!

The show that follows involves Commander Archer taking control of the ship from his captain! And, he then sets the ship on a secret mission into Tholian space. Why? What's all this about anyway?!

This is a mega-cool episode. Sadly, however, it's also one that was filmed AFTER the crew learned that the show was being canceled. Clearly a case of too little too late and this marks one of the better shows...yet only a few episodes later, the series sadly ended.

An exciting conclusion to the Phlox Philes., 31 May 2015

When the show begins, Malcolm and Trip work together to transfer Trip in the most insane fashion back to Enterprise. Why? Because the ship has become like the bus on "Speed"---where it will blow up if it drops to under warp 5! Oh, those kooky augments and their attempt to blow up the ship!

In the meantime, Dr. Phlox is dealing with some unreasonable Klingons (are there any other kind?) and it is a race with time-- otherwise the Klingon home world will blow up the planet and everyone on it in order to contain the virus. Phlox MIGHT have an answer-- but one that won't make the grouchy General happy!

The best aspect of all this is that it helps to explain the way too human looking Klingons in the original "Star Trek" series--and for that reason alone, this is a must-see for fans. Well made, fun and worth seeing.

So much plot for one episode!!, 31 May 2015

This episode has a ton of plot compared to a typical episode of "Star Trek: Enterprise"--so hold on tight and be prepared for a heck of a ride!

It begins with Enterprise and the crew back on Earth. Trip has inexplicably asked for a transport to the Enterprise's sister ship, the Columbia. He seems to be dealing with his feelings for T'Pol by running. Soon things get much worse for the crew, as Dr. Phlox is soon kidnapped by Klingon agents. Why would the Klingons go to all this trouble to get the guy? What gives?!

What follows is a very interesting episode about Klingon augments, Reed being sneaky as well as a horrific virus that threatens to possibly kill every Klingon unless Phlox can find a cure. It's all very exciting and complex--hence it's a two-parter. Well worth seeing.

Well, at least Captain Pike liked these ladies..., 31 May 2015

This episode hearkens back to the original "Star Trek" pilot--the one with Jeffery Hunter as Captain Pike. In this pilot (later chopped up and re-edited into "The Menagerie"), the Captain is tempted by a green Orion slave girl. Here in "Bound", Captain Archer and his crew come into contact with these Orion ladies--but this time the result is very, very different.

The show begins with a member of the Orion Syndicate who offers to make peace with Earth and go into business with them. To show his sincerity, he gives Archer three lovely (and VERY scantily clad) green slave girls. However, like the Trojan War, you KNOW that this gift isn't what it appears to be...and soon almost everyone on the ship begins acting strangely!

This is a very good episode which will probably annoy some ladies, as the show is much like a male Trekkie's dreams! But it is well made and the twist near the end very nice--so it is worth seeing.

Great for Dead-heads and non-Dead-heads, 31 May 2015

I am a tragically uncool man....I admit it. So, when a new documentary about the Grateful Dead and their lead singer Bob Weir came out, I decided to see it with a friend--one who loves the Dead and could help fill in the gaps and explain things to me as we watched. I never really listened to their music, so this was a new experience--one that was surprisingly enjoyable and held my interest despite me not being a Dead-head or even a nearly Dead-head!

While there have been other documentaries about this group, this one focuses mostly on Bob Weir and his contribution to the band. Additionally, the film talks quite a bit about Weir's best friend and mentor, Jerry Garcia. But, I should point out that if you want to learn a lot about other individual members of the band, this may not be the best film for you. This is NOT a complaint--more an observation about the scope of the film.

What you get is mostly what you expect from this film--a lot of vintage footage of the band, a lot of interviews with band members and friends as well as interviews with Weir himself. However, what I really like is the access to Weir that the film gives you. He narrates much of the film and there is a lot of interesting insights and observations about himself that make this a most revealing film- -especially when he talks about his life since the Grateful Death broke up following the death of Garcia. It also, most importantly, is very interesting and their energy is infectious. I appreciated how Weir and his band mates didn't seem to do this for the money or fame but for a drive to perform--and Weir apparently has performed more than 6000 times on stage! So, for the uninitiated like me, it's very enjoyable and well worth seeing because of Weir and the Dead's love of what they do.

As far as my buddy goes, he was ecstatic and thanked me for turning him on to this film. In his words "I loved the film...every minute of it". I think that pretty much says what a fan would likely think about the film.

If you want to see it, the film just debuted this month on Netflix and can be streamed from your TV or computer.

You can't beat this...., 31 May 2015

"Band of Brothers" is a nearly 12 hour long show about the experiences of a group of soldiers during their tour of duty in Europe during WWII. Given that it is this long, it allows so much more in the way of character development and story telling than a typical war movie. The closest thing to this quality-wise is the original version of "Das Boot"--as it was a mini-series and was later spliced apart to make it a motion picture. But even then, the German submarine film was only about 40% as long and never got into the detail and had quite the emotional impact as "Band of Brothers". In every way, the show screams quality--with amazing sets, details and direction. In fact, while the budget for this was large ($125,000,000 according to IMDb), it was actually pretty small considering the number of actors, the amazing sets and the length of the series. This is a must-see for anyone and I would say more and heap more praise on the film except that there are already hundreds and hundreds of other reviews on IMDb that pretty much do that already.

An excellent conclusion to the Romulan trilogy., 30 May 2015

Late in the life of "Star Trek: Enterprise", the writers came up with three fabulous and exciting episodes involving the Romulans trying to destabilize the quadrant and prevent alliances between the Andorians and Tellurites. However, Enterprise is able to determine that some sort of drone is sowing discord--as it can imitate other ships and the recent attacks on an Andorian ship was NOT done by the Tellurites but this drone!

This particular episode brings the crew to a remote frozen location to look for any of the Aenar--a subspecies of Andorians who apparently are the ones piloting the evil drone for the Romulans. It's odd, as the Aenar are a peaceful, blind race and you wonder why any of them would kill for these Romulans.

Overall, this is a fine conclusion to the trilogy. It's well written, exciting and well worth seeing. Plus, I like ANY show featuring Shran!

Good, but I preferred part one., 30 May 2015

Very late in the life of "Star Trek: Enterprise" came a wonderful plot idea that make up three very memorable episodes. Part one involves attacks that exacerbate tensions between the Tellurites and Andorians. Here in part two, Malcolm and Trip go on a mission to figure out who is responsible--and they manage to sneak aboard a ship that can imitate other ships! In other words, Romulans are using this strange drone to sow anger and war because they want to destabilize the quadrant. Instead, they manage to unify these enemies because they eventually realize that they are being manipulated.

I liked this plot quite a bit. However, there was a plot involving a debt of honor and a fight to the death that seemed unnecessary and, perhaps, only there to fill out the episode. Still, the show keeps your interest and the Romulans are, as always, enjoyably bad and devious.

Page 1 of 1805:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]