Parents GuideAdd to guide
Showing all 27 items
Sex & Nudity
- From 00:44:33 to 00:44:35 we can see Neytiri's Nipple from the side
- From 01:56:56 to 1:57:00 we can see Neytiri's Nipple for a split second from the front
- From 01:26:42 to 01:26:45 we can see Neytiri's left Nipple from the front
- It contains one implied sex scene that cuts out before anything happens, very mild sex references.
- The Na'vi people are aliens, but they are humanoid creatures. They dress in a tribal way, and we see their backsides (not fully covered by their tails) quite a bit. The men wear only loincloths, and the women wear loincloths and ornamental, stringy necklaces as bras.
- A brief suggestive between Jake and Neytiri shows the two kissing and beginning to passionately caress each other. There is no nudity, but they wake together the next morning, and Neytiri explains they are "mated for life." In the extended edition, this scene includes the two touching their queues together, implying they can "feel" each other (as explained earlier in the film).
- Both Jake and Dr. Augustine are stripped naked (in human form) and wrapped in vines for a special Na'vi ritual. Their backsides are seen partially, but explicit nudity is hidden.
- A few sexual jokes and lines are tossed about, including a masturbation quip from Dr. Augustine ("don't play with that, you'll go blind" when she sees Jake playing with his queue).
Violence & Gore
- The battle at the end is extremely violent and a lot of creatures and humans die again and again, each death presented in extremely gruesome and extensive detail.
- The final battle shows people and aliens blown up, stabbed, shot by guns, shot by arrows, and run over. On scene, and in gruesome details.
- Aerial clashes involve banshees vs. the humans aircraft. And while the Navi get mowed down by missiles and gunfire, many of their arrows somehow penetrate cockpits, taking out pilots and gunners, by shots to the face and chest, shown onscreen.
- Specific violent moments worth noting include Neytiri taking out a viperwolf with an arrow and later killing a human with two well-placed shots. She also engages in a vicious melee with Col. Quatrich: Shes riding a huge jungle beast while Quatrich controls a mech (a walking, armored vehicle). He repeatedly stabs the animal and kills it, pinning Neytiri beneath it in the process. Elsewhere, an unfortunate humans' head and shoulders end up in a banshees mouth. Explosions consume man, alien and beast alike. On fire, a horse-like creature runs for its life. Jake's avatar nearly knocks the head off one human and hurls others to their deaths.
- The home media releases of the film include a more family-friendly version of the movie that substitutes the swearing for cleaner alternatives.
- At least 11 uses of "sh--", 8 of "G--damn", 6 of "hell", 4 of "ass," 4 of "damn," 3 of "crap," 3 of "bitch," 2 of "Jesus", 2 uses of dick (1 paired with god) and 1 use each of "for Christ's sake," "bastard," "oh my God," "my God," "oh God" and "son of a bitch." One each of "screwing", "screwed", "screw", "pissed off", "piss off", "pissing", "balls", and "cripple".
Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking
- It contains innocuous alcohol consumption and a reference to smoking.
- A woman has a drink that's presumably alcoholic.
- Beer and tequila are mentioned a couple of times.
- A woman smokes several times, and at one point asks for a cigarette with urgency.
- (Extended Edition): an early scene take place in a bar on Earth, with Jake apparently participating in a drinking contest.
- Jake pulls a cigarette out of Grace's mouth and tells her not to smoke.
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- Some may get scared in the scene where Neytiri gets mad.
- The final battle in the film between the humans and Na'vi is intense and emotional, considering that we see scores of soldiers (on both sides) get stabbed, shot, impaled and crushed by gunfire, arrow piercings and falling objects.
- Jake has several close encounters with native creatures, which may be intense and in several scenes, they chase him in an attempt to kill and eat him.
- Several positive characters are killed or mortally wounded on-screen during the movie, which may be disturbing for the audience.
Violence & Gore
- The humans brutal attack begins with gas canisters. And its not long before copters unleash missiles that bring the Navis massive "home tree" down in a scene reminiscent of the World Trade Center's collapse. Many Navi are crushed, impaled or wounded, and we see survivors departing in a line, weeping and wailing. This scene is very emotional and disturbing.
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- Neytiri looks for her father to see if he survived the tree attack, only to see him heavily wounded and he dies from his injuries as he gives his last words to his daughter. Neytiri is seen crying heavily, and Jake Sully's attempt to console her only makes it even worse, sending her into weeping and wailing uncontrollably out of sorrow. Add to Neytiri's status as a very likable character, and this is an incredibly shocking, emotional, depressing, upsetting and heart-wrenching scene.
- The Na'vi's sacred hometree is destroyed by human weaponry, which some may find upsetting and disturbing.