Supernatural (TV Series 2005– ) Poster

(2005– )

Supernatural is a dream for everyone who loves the horror/suspense genre
Kimberly20 September 2005
I personally have been waiting to see a show based on spooky plots and this show delivers. Supernatural is somewhat endearing in that the main characters (the only ones who will be recurring) are brothers, however, the writing makes the characters more believable. They are different from each other, each with their own take on life and things that are not typical. I think as the show goes on it will continue to get better,though it is great now. I can't wait to see more of this show!

Another plus is the little bits of humor placed here and there, which, when done right, is always a plus. Some of the best shows/movies are ones in which one minute you are sitting on the edge of your seat biting your nails and the next you are laughing at some irony or funny statement/joke a character has said. Also, having two very attractive men in the cast doesn't hurt, either ;)
667 out of 750 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One word: Awesome
TruthIsOutThere17 September 2005
During the 90's I was a big fan of the X-Files to this day I still am. The X-Files had great stories and character development, which is needed for a great show. Supernatural has that from the very first episode. I admit that I missed the first 10 minutes of the show, but I knew exactly what happened and where the story was going. Most shows you tune into after the first few minutes your lost and you lose interest, unlike Supernatural. CBS's Threshold, may not live up to the X-Files, but Supernatural does.

One final note, as long as the WB doesn't do any tweaking of the show this series will last for quite a few seasons.
538 out of 628 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Really good new supernatural show!
rebel69mach16 April 2006
When the show started I will admit I was apprehensive. It was compared to ghost busters and most notably X-files, but the first episode was everything but. It was action packed with two bad-ass brothers fighting no not crime, but ghosts. Spirits. The writers have done their research into urban legends and local myths, building on spooks we've grown up hearing about, sometimes beings scared of, and other's apprehensive. They give these spooks a face and then send Dean and Sam to blow them to smithereens.

While the coated focus is naturally the supernatural, the deep artery of the show is the love between these brothers as they sort out their past and arguments with "Dad" and challenge their future with a new light. They're action packed, gun toting, hot rod driving, (not to mention sexy) heroes saving people from harmful supernatural beings, (as they're not all ghosts). The music choice of the shows is also superb with everything from Blue Oyster Cult's "Don't fear the reaper" to Iron Butterfyl's "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida". If your looking for an action packed, thrilling, GRASPING, hour, tune in, It's now Thursday at 9 Eastern-Standard on the WB.
190 out of 217 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Whoa! This is more like it!
sarastro729 September 2005
After being disappointed by mediocre to bad new shows like Threshold and Invasion, I am glad that there's at least one new show that really delivers. Supernatural is in a whole different league, with proper style, suspense and great production values. This is a dark, moody show that understands how to use the television medium. The story isn't exactly complex, but the storytelling technique pulls you in and holds your attention, making you want to know more about the supernatural beings and the rules that govern their shadow world. I'm usually not a fan of darkness and horror, but this show is effective. It's dark urban fantasy and it has the potential to go a long way. As it is, the show is way, waay above average, and I rate the pilot episode an 8 out of 10.
446 out of 545 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This show serves it's purpose, with grace!
Josh Hatfield23 October 2005
Now this show is not without problems. I'll be the first to admit it. It's very basic premise and sometimes convenient plot turns are not lost on me. Two monster hunting brothers travel cross country and extinguish a different monster each week. Not too much on the original side, I know. However, I can't help but watch this show every week with a fondness for my old junior high days. For those who don't know I was a huge sci-if/horror geek in my younger years and I loved reading about "The Crazy Hook Man who kills Teenagers" or "The Ghost of the Lady in White". I ate those stories up, and apparently so did the show's creator. This show takes me back to the years before I learned what character arcs, and plot contrivances were. It strips that all away and just lets me enjoy what it was like to hear ghost stories. What it was like to get chills down my spine every time I rode down a dark road at night expecting an apparition in white to appear. What it was like to come so close to saying "Bloody Mary" to the mirror and then passing out. There is a likability to this show that can't be ignored, and there's even some great moments with the two main characters Sam and Dean (played quite well by Padalecki and Ackles) but it is that nostalgic feeling above all that brings me back each week.
267 out of 347 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Amazing, for seasons 1-5, but fairly poor for the rest.
user-196-76641730 January 2015
Seasons 1-5 of 'Supernatural' were brilliant.

Although many of season 1's episodes are "hit-and-miss" and its overarching storyline is over-simplistic, the suspense, horror and urban lore makes this show unique and addictive. The plot and writing just get better and better in the next few seasons, with hints and clues that keep you hooked and gradually reveal a clever, wonderfully crafted underlying conspiracy.

The writers' attention to lore and their respectful and interesting interpretation of Judaeo-Christian mythology (in seasons 4&5) makes the content of 'Supernatural' incredibly fascinating.

Sam (Jared Padalecki) and Dean (Jensen Ackles) are complex, well- written, likable leads. Even the supporting characters - John (Jeffrey Dean Morgan), Bobby (Jim Beaver), Ellen (Samantha Ferris) and Jo (Alona Tal) are written with depth. Villains such as Meg (Nicki Aycox & Rachel Miner), Crowley (Mark Sheppard), Azazel (Frederic Lehne) and Alastair (Christopher Heyerdahl) are hauntingly chilling characters. And then there's fan favourite Castiel (Misha Collins), who undergoes an almost flawless development arc. Credit goes to all of these actors for portraying their characters so skilfully and realistically.

However, after the massive climax of the season 5 finale, the show just seems washed-out and bland. The overarching story lines are all over the place - first there's Eve, and Castiel betraying the brothers, then the Leviathans and Metatron and the Angel War. The massive discrepancy in the feel of these seasons makes it seem that they're set in completely different universes.

The mythology, especially that of the angels, is not being treated respectfully any more, especially in seasons 9-10. They are no longer proud, unbending warriors of Heaven; they've been dumbed down to one-dimensional, unintelligent, over-exaggerated, almost childish people. In most episodes the 'monster of the week' reflects the writing team's lack of depth and research.

Every episode seems to follow the same overused structure - initial death scene, investigation, death of the monster, and then a long, dramatic conversation between the brothers in the car. During these talks the brothers constantly lie to each other and suffer from massive guilt trips and while this was heartrending the first time, after the endless repetitions it's just become cringeworthy and boring. The character of Crowley, too, has become dull and uninteresting after six seasons without development.

Granted, there are a few good episodes and characters in seasons 6- 10. Kevin (Osric Chau), Charlie (Felicia Day) and Garth (DJ Qualls) are likable, unlikely heroes, while Metatron (Curtis Armstrong) and Rowena (Ruth Connell) make interesting villains. Castiel's backstory and an insight into Bobby's regular life are interesting, and there are several standalone monster-of-the-week episodes that are better than the rest.

Overall, 'Supernatural' used to be brilliant, but its overused tropes and clichés, its lacklustre storytelling and overdramatic overtones mean that it is only a shadow of its former grandeur. If you enjoy urban legends, horror, suspense and mystery, go for seasons 1-5, because they are excellent. Its creator, Eric Kripke, intended it to stop after season 5 but sadly it was continued and desecrated so that CW could milk as much money out of it as possible.
34 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
amazing.........totally awesome
cool_imran8913 September 2005
When i first saw the trailer of the show, i didn't actually get it. But now that i have seen it i completely get it. I understood completely about the entire story. I didn't know that they(cast) can tell everything that has happened in just 1 hour. Jensen Ackles again did an amazing job for the WB. He had a background of Kansas, which is ironic because he was in Kansas in another hit WB show Smallville. He played the older brother who kind of taking care of his younger brother played by Jared Padalecki. Jared's character was tired of hunting supernatural things. but when his own girlfriend dies the same way his mom died, he decided to hunt that thing. This all happened in the pilot episode. Both brothers are also looking for their father who hasn't returned to them in days. He was on his hunting trip( looking for the thing that killed his wife). This also happened in the pilot episode. I don't know if the time or day of the airing of the show will be changed, but i will watch it every week. The WB has made a wise decision of picking up this show. I recommend to everyone to watch this show. You wont be sorry.
370 out of 499 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Terrifying!
xPublicInsanity2 September 2006
This show is absolutely wonderful! It's one of the few shows I've really gotten into. The actors and guest stars are wonderful at what they do, and this show proves it. The episodes have scared me more than most movies have. Dean and Sam are an exact portray of brothers, sticking together through thick and thin, being there for each other when one is in trouble, and fighting of course. It's truly one of my favorite shows, and everything about it is amazing. The guest stars they choose are very good and the story lines are well-acted out. The scene is really terrifying as well. They make this show look so good, I never want to stop watching! I love it!
9 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Excellent beginning
djean6018 September 2005
I wasn't sure this was going to be a "must see" for me, but the atmospheric lighting, outstanding writing and acting had me from the first.

It doesn't hurt that veteran X-Files director was in charge of the pilot.

Steve Railsback (X-Files' Duane Berry) was seen briefly as the haunted husband of the ghost in question. Clever musical references as well as humorous asides, ("Agent Scully. Agent Mulder.") add spice for the viewer, not to mention outstanding "gotcha" moments and spooky special effects.
184 out of 249 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Supergood naturally
boo_4ever18 April 2006
Supernatural is gonna draw the obvious X Files comparisons so we might as well get them out of the way now. Its stars are an intrepid duo who travel across America encountering all manner of paranormal phenomena and mythological creatures. It has a lot of ex-files staff too which is apparent if you have watch both shows pretty closely.

Supernatural isn't as smart as The X Files , nor is it as cleverly written. The X Files was ahead of the time in many ways and is still unique in others, in that it was a mature drama which took its subject matter very seriously. It managed to blend sci fi and the paranormal skillfully so that you almost didn't notice the seams. Supernatural in a way is like The X Files - lite. It knows what it is and I think is a more focused show then its predecessor. From the get go it lays it out to you that it is situated in a world where ghosts, demons and witches really do exist. Once that is established its on with the show and there is no looking back whereas the X Files constantly had the viewer questioning and thinking about what he was seeing and hearing. Where The X Files was the thinking mans science paper, Supernatural is a camp fire ghost story.

Which is more then fine by me. As a lover of ghost stories myself Supernatural makes for fantastic viewing. Its strongest points are its atmosphere and visual imagery. The storyline surrounding the brothers relationship to their father and to each other is in its fledgling stages and will no doubt become stronger over time. Already though it is fun to watch the interplay between Dean and Sam. being the older brother in a family of two myself I find myself sympathising with Dean. Not just because of that but also because I find his personality something I can relate to. His is very Mulder-like in his often whimsical approach to situations. The other brother Sam I find downright annoying at times with the overplayed teen angst.

As for the story lines themselves this is Supernaturals weakest point. So far in the first series Supernatural has a basic structure which rarely changes - brothers drive into town, weird things (usually deaths) happen, brothers use fake ID's to find out about the demon / witch / ghost just in time to save the Hot Chick of the Week(tm) wash, rinse, repeat. If it continues Supernatural is in danger of burning out real fast. However in latter episodes there looks to be some sort of mythology developing which should hopefully complicate things. The fathers connection to their mothers death, Sams visions, the Meg demon etc.

Having just criticised the story lines I have to admit I love their themes. Each week focuses on a different legend such as the woman in white, bloody mary, vampires etc. Each handled very well and with a surprising amount of knowledge. You can tell that ghost story telling is a real labour of love for the creators. It also introduces a lot of lesser known legends such as the wendigo, shrika etc. Someone is doing their homework and I cant wait to see what creatures appear in later episodes. The references to other supernatural shows such as the x files and ghostbusters is an added treat for fans of the genre. As is the classic rock soundtrack. My god someone has taste. Its like they reached into my mind and put down all my favourite past times on celluloid. Well the ones that can be viewed by under 18's anyway. I wouldn't say Supernatural has "made scary sexy". I would say its made scary cool again. If only I could be cool again too. Maybe I would be if I had a Chevy Impala too.

All in all an excellent new series dripping with humour, atmosphere and chills. Here's to series two!
265 out of 367 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
American folktales and urban legends
celticrose-120 September 2005
I liked this show and I disagree slightly with the person who says they need to come up with original "ghosts". All of these are things that are rooted in folklore and urban legends. I think it's interesting to see how they'll explore these. Some of this is familiar yes but I'm drawn to see how they learn about each "creature" and the best way to overcome whatever they come across. It's a neat show that explores some of America's famous legends with a duo of brothers who are searching for their father and the "thing" that killed their mother. It would be neat for it to come up with new creatures but to explore the well known ones is a good way to start the season, to slowly introduce people to the otherworldly aspects of America. I recommend this show for anyone who enjoys supernatural tales and folklore.
19 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Excellent production team
starbuckscout-115 September 2005
I saw the pilot last night and was very happy with the production team. David Nutter, who was involved on the X-Files- hence giving Supernatural that "X-Files-ish tone" is a fantastic director. He is a veteran of this field having directed X-Files, Roswell, Dark Angel, Smallville, Disturbing Behavior, Millennium, etc. One of the producers, McG, has produced The OC, and has directed both Charlie's Angels movies. Jared and Jensen are placed in roles they are familiar with, Jared is playing Sam, a character who seems to be a tougher version of Dean, his character from the Gilmore Girls. Jensen is playing Dean, a character who is extremely close to being a human clone of his sarcastic character from Dark Angel, Alec. Opening a WB show with such great effects scores big with me- not giving anything away, the special effects are what Nutter and his team are capable of. Sarah Shahi as a guest star was icing on the cake. The only problem I see with the show is the fact that it is not geared towards the main demographic of the OC and Gilmore Girls (which airs in the time slot before Supernatural) and it may turn away a group of older viewers who may really enjoy it. As long as they don't call it the "teen X-Files" or "Buffy meets Twin Peaks" it will be fine. Trying to make Roswell be the next "Buffy" ruined the show, and it would be a shame to ruin Supernatural.
134 out of 183 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
My new favorite show
ringwench13 October 2005
I am completely in love with this show.

I had barely heard about this show before it aired. I think I remember it being briefly mentioned in an article about new fall shows, but as soon as I read that it was going to be airing on the WB, I didn't give it a second thought.

After the first episode aired, a friend of mine who shares a lot of my same tastes in TV told me that I should check it out. I was skeptical, but it was being rerun in a couple of days so figured it wouldn't hurt to give it a chance.

And boy am I ever glad I did! This show is everything I've ever wanted in a TV show. It's suspenseful, the characters have depth, it's funny without being silly, it has a touch of campyness (but not enough to be ridiculous). Not to mention that the two leads are quite easy on the eyes! The strongest element of the show by far is the two leads, Jared Padalecki (Sam) and the phenomenal Jensen Ackles (Dean--who is easily one of the most compelling and likable characters I've seen on TV in a long time). They play brothers who had been separated for a few years when the search for their missing father brings them back together. They grew up hunting supernatural beings with their father so they travel across the country fighting evil things that get in their way.

Dean and Sam have excellent on screen chemistry and a dynamic that really works for a show like this. It's important for a show like this, with only two leads (and really no supporting characters yet) that the two leads be interesting and complex enough both together and on their own to keep people interested in the show. The creators have hit the ball out of the park with Dean and Sam.

Dean and Sam each bring their own strengths and weaknesses and each have their own crosses to bear. Dean still remembers his mother (who is shown in a flashback being brutally murdered by an unknown evil force) who died when he was a small child so he understands the reasoning behind his father's crusade. Sam is haunted by the death of his girlfriend (coincidentally--or not--killed in the exact same manner as their mother) which was the catalyst for him joining Dean in the search for their father, in the hopes that Dad has found out something more about whatever killed the most important women in his life.

Every episode has a "Evil-Thing-of-the-Week" so to speak which the boys must discover and figure out how to kill. Most of these things spring from myths or urban legends (ie. the wendigo, Bloody Mary).

I was very pleasantly surprised with this show, and after only five episodes, I have to say it has surpassed the many other shows I enjoy and is now #1 on my list of favorite current TV shows.

It has a nice old school X-Files feel to it (not surprising, since several people who worked on X-Files created and write for this show), which I absolutely love, as X-Files is definitely my all time favorite show.

If you like the paranormal and want to see great characters you can really care about, check out "Supernatural", I guarantee you will not be disappointed.
28 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
best show in years!
hdbhood25 April 2008
This is the kind of show that everybody has been waiting for! I have been watching this show since the very first episode and I have noticed that all this reality s*** out now is getting to be more and more obnoxious but it's nice to know that a show like this is still running! The horror and suspense actually gets to me, in a good way of course. You would not expect to become nervous while watching a TV show, but this one knows how to start suspense and end suspense within an hour and make it absolutely amazing. The special effects are always fantastic and the script always has me on the floor laughing, well not literally. Jensen Ackles and Jared Padalecki are one of the best teams I've seen in a very long time! They play off each other very nicely and not to mention the fact that they are both extremely attractive. Although if you are thinking about starting to watch this show now, I'd take the time to check out or even purchase the first 3 seasons, the show is so much better watching it from the beginning as compared to starting it mid 4th season, as with most shows.

All in all, if you aren't watching this show, you are missing out!!!!

(you're not allowed to shout in your comments in this, but I want to shout in a good way! It won't let me!!)
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One to watch!
jp54715 September 2006
It's a mini horror movie every week. Supernatural brings American urban legends into your home each episode. All those stories you told around the campfire as a child come to life in this explosive TV show. From the exceptional writing to the awesome soundtrack, this TV show is a step above the rest. I love seeing the dynamic between the brothers, Sam and Dean. It seems that no matter what has happened in the past, family is family. I imagine this show is a production nightmare. There are so many great special effects, it's like being at your local cinema. And you can't forget that car. A '67 Impala that the brothers travel the country in. With the classic rock tunes blaring on the cassette player and the roar of the engine, this car is hot! Overall, I think Supernatural is one of the best shows on TV. My only concern is them running out of good material. I mean there are only so many urban legends. However, I've heard they've got the first 3 seasons pretty much mapped out, so at least we can have a few good years, right.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
not bad - looking forward to more
jamiemd7 September 2005
Just saw the preview on Yahoo of the first episode and it was better than I anticipated. There are a few new series this fall with the same idea (aliens/supernatural phenomena/mystery encountered by a pair of sleuths) so it's hard to say if this show will set itself apart. Remember that "E/R" and "Chicago Hope" were two hospital dramas that debuted on the same night, at the same time, on two different networks (if you said "what is Chicago Hope?" then my point is made.) Jared Padalecki, of "Gilmore Girls," is a familiar face who gets a chance to toughen up his image a little. The first episode sets up some mysteries to be solved over the season but also has some immediate gratification. No spoilers here ~ you'll have to watch it yourself. It's got a bit of an "X Files" feel to it ~ we'll see in future episodes whether they can keep the stories as interesting while giving the talented lead actors something meaty to work with.
137 out of 210 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
disappointed
rubee6667 December 2015
What the F*** is going on with this show?? This show isn't rolling downhill anymore, it's being sucked into a void of crap, i'm at the point where i just skip to the end of the episodes just to get the info i need to understand the actual plot of the season. If you had asked me 3-4 years ago about this show, i would rate it nr. 5- 6 on my top 10 list, but now, i'm now i don't even know why i watch it. Season 1-5 was good, original, got me exited and made me wanna watch more, but now you can tell the show is reaching so far and trying everything to fill out the seasons, every bit of stuff they can find, they will put it in. Bringing in old characters, old monsters, new cursed objects that kills people or make other people kill people.. yes i just watched the one with the masks, and i tormented myself into watching all of it, in case there was info i needed for the next ones. I'm sorry if i seem like a party-pooper, but when they bring in the darkness, and turns Crowley into a dad, then it's clear that they are really running out of stuff to use. If you are going to try this show out, then watch season 1-5, that's the good stuff, what comes after is starting downhill slowly, slow enough for you not too notice at first. But stop after season 10, there is no good reason to continue, pretend it's over, and have a small happy memory of the show. good luck.
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Perfect Show-Supernatural sends thrills and chills
somme229 May 2006
SUPERNATURAL is a fantastic show that gives fans thrills and chills every episode, and it also delivers an interesting story line that captures the viewer and hooks them for the next episode. The main characters, Dean and Sam Winchester, are as different as night and day but they are united by family loyalty and the goal of vanquishing the demon that murdered their mom. They are joined by their dad, a man who had devoted his life to killing demons and searching for the killer of his wife and putting an end once and for all to the horrors that plague mankind.

I really enjoy the plot lines that the show delivers. All the ghosts, demons, vampires-they are all characters that push the brothers to the limits and test their endurance and loyalties. Every SUPERNATURAL episode has allowed me to see character development within the Winchester team.

The show knows how to grab viewers attentions. The show plays out the Winchester vendetta well and intermixes it with other events and problems. The show has also created very likable characters in the Winchesters. The creators and writers have made sure that people relate to Dean and Sam, and they have made them complex and intriguing.

SUPERNATURAL is a great show that hopefully will be on TV for a long time. Every episode offers interesting plots and characters. That is why I hope that the Winchester clan continues hunting ghosts and saving lives for many years to come.
22 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Something Wicked This Way Comes
Girish Gowda19 April 2010
I have been a fan of 'Supernatural' for 5 years now and the series is still as awesome as it first started. It is about two brothers, Sam Winchester and Dean Winchester's journey to find their father in the first season. From there it goes through fighting with the 'yellow-eyed demon' to Dean going to hell in the third season and then my most favourite season 4 when Castiel enters. Castiel passes through every demon shackle spell and drawings in the whole building and comes to Dean to say 'I am Castiel, I am an Angel of the Lord'. You wouldn't believe the chills that gave me, the hair on my skin stood up. The 5th season is about the impending Apocalypse, the battle between good and evil with Earth as their war field. The atmosphere this show has is downright chilling and it compels the viewer to get hooked.

Sam and Dean are contrasting characters. Sam is the younger brother of Dean. He is calm, innocent and good-hearted. But, some situations make him the bad guy. Dean is the cool one, he kicks back on the couch with a beer in one hand and a hot chick in the other hand and seemingly doesn't give a damn if the world ends or not. He is the guy who takes the risks. They con people, do credit card scams and cheat at pool to pay for their food and shelter. But despite their differences, the brothers have an unbreakable bond between them and they will fight till death for the safety of each other. 'Safety' being not going to hell after they die. This is what makes them so great, their chemistry is there for everyone to see. Angel Castiel is an excellent addition from the 4th season, he made the show so much more awesome than it already was. The characters make you care for them so much that you don't want to miss a single moment of their journey.

Dean is a vessel of archangel Michael and Sam is the vessel of the fallen angel, Lucifer. So, now every demon hunter in the country want Sam dead, before he can accept Lucifer's offer to take over Sam's body. There are also many allies for the brothers as the series continues. This is a very different show from others as it deals with a different demon every episode and the main story also continues. You never get bored as the special effects are awesome and even the actors who play the demons are very good.

The show isn't all gloom and doom. In fact, it has many humorous moments. Also it doesn't hurt when you have two good actors who are also good-looking. I haven't seen X-files as I was just a kid back when it ended, so I don't have a yardstick to compare this show to, as many of the IMDb users here seem to compare to. Therefore, I think this is the best supernatural show ever that I have seen. The strong point of the show is also the visual imagery which is a treat for the viewers and the background score. Also it gives real legend stories every episode, like the bloody mary, vampires, zombies, hookman, ghost insects, scarecrows, evil children, basically every legend and scary story you have ever heard and not heard. The car, 1970's Chevy Impala is very cool.

Buy the DVD's if you still haven't seen the show, as each episode is exciting. There is always something new brought to the table by the excellent screenwriters. Why are you still reading my comment, go and watch Supernatural, The Most Thrilling, Awesome and Coolest Show Ever :)

14 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A future cult classic , spot on acting and writing
thewhiteladyofrohan11 May 2006
A great show that makes up for the loss of a number of greats. The TV seemed incredibly dull following the loss of x-files, Buffy, angel and dark angel. Only Charmed remained and lets face it thats really not been up to it's one brilliant standard. The supernatural (no pun intended) and sci-fi fans were running out of things to watch.

Thankfully along came Supernatural.

It has the x-files mystery to it , with the hot young characters of Buffy and Angel, with the emotional curiosity edge of Dark Angel all mixed together. The acting and the writing is spot on. The show has the perfect balance of supernatural and relationship elements.

Jared Padalecki and Jensen Ackles have finally escaped they're supporting roles they so brilliantly performed in Gilmore Girls and Dark Angel. They get to prove how well they can act and play the brothers brilliantly. The show has started great and will no doubt become another cult classic, lets hope it gets a number of seasons to give it the credit it deserves. It's definitely one to watch and I certainly recommend it to all fans of any of the above shows.
20 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Good but don't go after season 5
paolozavatta20 February 2016
This show was created with 5 season in mind by Kripke. From season 1 to season 5 it will be an awesome ride to a big finale: a story well told with a start, a development and a well thought ending. It's dark, sometimes funny but mostly the right kind of horror with some Neil Gaiman writing in mind. After that you mostly get fandom seasons, boring story arcs that will bring you nowhere, repetition of the formula you have seen before but in a less clever ways. To me is just not good writing. Single episodes can be OK, but overall it should have ended with season 5. 10/10 from s1 to s5. 6/10 from s6 to where I stop watching and caring (s9 or 10, i can't remember).
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Excellent for the first five seasons
ProfessorChaos3323 April 2015
I am a very big fan of Supernatural. I started watching it one year ago, and there were times where I would watch an entire season in day or two. The topic is obviously supernatural, and it all starts with two brothers trying to find out what killed their mother. First 5 seasons are brilliant. It was scary like it should be considering this is a horror series, it had suspense, the plot was very interesting and it was really a show I loved. It had a lot of typical monsters like ghosts, demons, angels and vampires, but it also had some legendary monsters from mythology and folklore like Bloody Mary. Also, the comedy in the show was brilliant. But after five excellent seasons, I feel like the show has been going downhill. There were some funny episodes, but my problem with this show is that it has lost all the scary suspense it has had. I am still watching it though, because I do want some closure to all of this. So, if you are new to this and haven't seen it, take a look. You won't be sorry, and who knows? Maybe you will even like the seasons 6- 10 more than I do.
Fantastic
switchfootlova5 May 2006
I love the show, i think that it is fantasatic! i love the supernatural/horror/thriller genre and i have been waiting for a good quality TV show that fits this genre to come along and its finally here! The two brothers, the cute good boy and the hot bad boy, travel around America in search of the supernatural. trying to track down the beast that killed there mother many years ago they encounter many exciting unfathomable monsters and also come across some of the classic urban legends. The two brothers are fantastically casted to compliment each other and are a fantastic on screen pair. i would highly recommend this on the edge of your seat TV show if you have a love for the supernatural or even if you just like to watch Jared and Jenssen do there thing on screen!
Supernatural review
rubydreamer1 January 2006
I've only watched a few episodes, but this show shouldn't be disregarded as just another WB made-for-teen shows. Yeah it actually makes sense most of the time. The plot isn't stupid or completely outrageous and makes you want to barf all over the carpet. Sure the two main characters are extremely good looking, but the characters (while they might be a bit stereotyped) are interesting and fun to watch when they have the brother bickering going on. It has some great lines too...at least I laughed. It has some scary moments,some suspenseful ones and some just really f-ing cool ones.

Yeah I definitively recommend it. It sure ain't "normal" teen show and thank the heavens for that. The only thing i'm worried about is if they try and make the show more appealing to the more shallow and weak little girls of our generation. I'm soooo f-ing tired of all these Mary-Sue like chick personas with flat stomachs and just begging for people to save them.

I must admit the show is flawed in many ways, but the flaws aren't so apparent and the show is still excellent even with them.

You! Go watch SupernaturaL RIGHT NOW!
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the smartest shows on television.
zactac13 June 2010
"Supernatural" is a purely clever show with great acting and a story to keep eyes on the screen at all times.

The show is about two brothers Dean and Sam Winchester who are "Hunters" who go around killing supernatural beings who threaten the lives of humans. We see how Sam wants a normal life but when a demon kills someone close to him he goes with Dean to find their father and kill the monster who killed his loved one. During their search they find out there's more to this than meets the eye. So now as the show progresses the two brothers have to deal with the truth of how its all connected and find someway to save their relationship before it becomes to late.

One of the reasons the show works is because a key element to the show is the comedy and wit of Sam and Dean's sibling rivalry. With the combined sensitive side of Sam and the rough and sometimes annoying side of Dean they both blend in perfectly to where you could almost believe these two are actually brothers. Its not just the comedy that makes the show its also the insight of how two brothers are re-building their relationship after all the trials they go through together. With the combined elements of horror, mystery, drama, action, and the tale of two brothers, makes this show a winner in every sense of the word.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this