IMDb > This Is 40 (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
This Is 40

This Is 40 More at IMDbPro »

Page 17 of 26: [Prev][12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [Next]

Judd Apatow can do no wrong...

Author: porshia-carter from United States
3 September 2013

This movie was different from it's predecessor Knocked up but had a lot to offer. Judd Apatow made this a funny yet serious film that was good for red box rental. Now don't get me wrong I love Judd Apatow, but most of his films are longer than needed. In this is 40 The cast went so well together you felt as though it was a real family. There was an equal amount of laughs, bad parenting, good parenting, "why is this happenings?" and "Paul Rudd is perfect" moments through out the film. The focus was strictly on Paul Rudd and Leslie Mann in this prequel it was not tied into Knock- up. Apatow focused on the 2 characters in knocked who had been there done that and are so unstable they are stable. This film was not suppose to be a slap silly comedy, yet a funny insightful good film that makes though who can relate lighten up and those of us who aren't 40...expect the well, expect-able.

Unfocused Plot but Brings Apatow's Usual Brand of Funny

Author: brando647 from Spring Hill, FL
19 July 2013

THIS IS 40 is director Judd Apatow at his most scatter-brained. Whereas Apatow's production company has influence over most of the most successful comedies to come out of Hollywood in the past decade, Apatow himself has only actually directed four feature films and his movies are getting progressively more unfocused with each release. His first feature, THE 40 YEAR OLD VIRGIN, stands as one of my favorite comedies of all time and KNOCKED UP (the sort-of prequel to this film) was a lot of fun while simultaneously bringing a lot of heart. But then we were given FUNNY PEOPLE and it didn't quite work as well as the first films and now we have THIS IS 40. I don't mean to say that THIS IS 40 is a horrible movie or offensively bad or anything. It's funny and it's got heart, just as we've come to expect from the writer/director. It's just, as a film, the movie feels like it's all over the place. It has it's central unified theme running throughout the movie about coming to terms with age and how life will eventually kick you in the teeth while you struggle to make it through in one piece while growing from the experience. The problem is that the movie just floats from one sequence to another and it doesn't feel cohesive at all. As the movie moves from one scene t the next, it doesn't feel dynamic. It's comes off to me as more a string of related skits or gags tagged together with a central message but no rock-solid plot.

What bothers me most is that THIS IS 40 goes out of its way to incorporate as many parenthood/middle age gags as it could. Mammograms and prostate exams, screeching teenagers and how parents just don't understand, dieting and sex…everything that's been joked about in regards to middle age are thrown on screen whether it was inherent to the plot or not. The story of the movie is incredibly simple when you boil it down: Pete (Paul Rudd) and Debbie (Leslie Mann) are turning 40 and Debbie isn't handling it too well. For starters, she refuses to acknowledge her age and prefers to rather pretend that she's perpetually stuck at the age of 38. She's come to a point where she's obsessed with improving the couple's quality of life, forcing Pete to adhere to her diet requirements while sneaking away for the occasional secret cigarette. She wants a perfect life and, as time is catching up with her, she's wondering if she's not has happy as she should be at this age. Pete couldn't care less that he's approaching the big 4-0; he's more concerned with his failing record company that is hinging it's success on a reunion album for 70's band Graham Parker and the Rumour. If this album fails, it will most likely lead to financial ruin for Pete and he can't bring himself to tell Debbie about it. Everything in THIS IS 40 boils down to one basic problem in Pete and Debbie's lives: communication. Boom. There, just diagnosed their problem and it didn't take more than two hours to get it across.

That's right…the movie is nearly two and a half hours. Apatow has always been a little long- winded with his movies, but sometimes it's OK. The unrated version of THE 40 YEAR OLD VIRGIN was hilarious and nearly as lengthy, but it doesn't feel it. FUNNY PEOPLE and, now, THIS IS 40 do. I believe it all comes back to Apatow cramming in every little middle age gag he could, while piling on unnecessary subplots. As funny as Albert Brooks and John Lithgow are, did we really need an entire subplot devoted to Pete and Debbie's relationships to their fathers? We could've cut a solid 30 minutes from the film but dropping the subplot that, really, doesn't have that much to do with coping with age. Sure, Albert Brooks and his role as Pete's mooching father were used to compile more financial problems on the family but it could've been simplified and cut down.

I do need to give this movie credit…it is funny. It delivers plenty of laughs and will definitely resonate with anyone going through their own mid-life troubles as well as anyone coming close. I'm a little more than 10 years from experiencing my own mental breakdown at 40 but I imagine Apatow, who has always had a knack for portraying family life on screen, has it nailed here. Paul Rudd and Leslie Mann have the same great chemistry they displayed in KNOCKED UP, and the supporting cast here is fantastic. Even Megan Fox. I don't think I've had a positive thing to say about Fox since her debut as "hot girl" in TRANSFORMERS but Apatow is playing to her strengths here as Desi, the hot clerk in Debbie's clothing store who may or may not be stealing from the store. Lithgow and Brooks, as useless as their characters are to the central plot, are as great as you'd expect. And Melissa McCarthy even drops in for a quick cameo as an angry mom that gets into it with Pete and Debbie over her son's cyber-bullying.

THIS IS 40 is a good enough time. I could easily recommend it to anyone looking for some laughs. I think Apatow is going to have to buckle down with his next movie and regain his focus because these last two movies have been all over the place, but Apatow at his weakest is still better than a lot of comedies at their best.

Bad comedy

Author: Reem Dagher from Lebanon
21 June 2013

I wouldn't say this was the worst movie I've seen, but I could say it's the worst comedy I've ever seen. this movie was a collage of scenes that had nothing to do with each other, events were literally unrelated. Basically, there was no story to tell or to follow and no characters you could relate to or maybe they didn't give us a chance to relate to them. I experienced zero emotion during the whole movie I kept on watching cause I owe it to cinema to better itself! Comedy is insane, I always enjoy it but here, in this movie, it was all about sticking scenes together trying to make it funny, the movie had a purpose, but it certainly did not fulfill it. The subject was interesting, see, a story about trouble with time, growing up, and aging should be told in a much more graceful meaningful way and since it's a comedy you would think at least...it's funny! It was simply not. This movie is a waste of time, if you want to watch it make sure it's because you want to rate it, though I hope other raters agree.

Is getting older really that scary? Still, it was better than Knocked Up.

Author: TinyDanseur27 from United States
18 June 2013

I was pleasantly surprised to find that I ended up liking This is 40 a lot better than Knocked Up. It focused on how Knocked Up's supporting characters Pete and Debbie deal with their two kids, trouble with their parents, and trouble with their jobs, as well as coming to terms with getting older. It was both hilarious and really sad in a way.

Paul Rudd (Pete) and Leslie Mann (Debbie) are great together in my opinion. I really got into their love/hate relationship in this movie. They really captured the frustration of the transition to being middle- aged. What I found amusing was that they frequently complained about losing their attractiveness in the movie. Well, in my humble opinion, I think that both Paul Rudd and Leslie Mann look really great in their 40s. I will consider myself quite fortunate if I look half as good as they do when I'm their age.

Supporting actors Jason Segel, Megan Fox, and John Lithgow were pretty enjoyable. Megan Fox played the "hot girl" of the movie. I'll admit I am growing tired of people ooing and awwing over how hot Megan Fox is. Personally, I don't see it. Leslie Mann's real kids Maude and Iris Apatow played Pete and Debbie's kids in this film (as well as Knocked Up). I thought that was pretty neat. I think it'd be fun to do a movie with your mom, directed by your dad (Judd Apatow). They weren't half bad either!

This movie did kind of freak me out a bit. It made getting older look scary, like there are so many unavoidable conflicts that will just come up through the years: financial difficulties, troublesome children, loss of passion in your relationship etc. I understand that this movie is a dramatization of real life. Still... it made me want to think twice before entering into domesticity, and to work real hard at it if/once I do.

I wanted to like the movie

Author: Wundt from United States
17 June 2013

I started watching this and after half way through, turned it off and watched something else instead. I really thought I would like this movie, since I am its target audience: 40 something, married, kids, etc. I could relate to almost everything this couple are going through... except I couldn't because most of their 'bad' luck was self imposed. In the end, all I could think was, "they are idiots".

Example... $15,000 goes missing from her store and she does nothing but complain about it. No small business owner can afford to lose $15,000 and they would have ripped that store apart looking for that money. She is also never at her store, she if she really was a small business owner she would be there all the time, not just show up when convenient.

I can cite similar examples about him. His business is also struggling yet we almost never see him working. They may have to sell their house to pay their bills... but still run off to a resort to stay in a $1000 a night suite and order hundreds of dollars in room service. All he has to say is, "Honey... things are tight right now, we are waiting to see how this album sells, lets hold off on spending any more money" and the problem would be solved.

Finally, the dialog... No one talks the way these people talk. Perhaps it is an LA thing? I don't know.

I liked "Knocked Up", and thought this would be similarly interesting and sweet. Instead, I found people who just weren't compelling. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, thinking back to the "Knocked Up" movie, I remember these characters as being sad and depressing in that movie.

Loved it

Author: ehstars-707-78820 from canada
9 June 2013

I enjoyed every minute of this film, the wit, the comedy, the awesome characters and a lot of how things really are, at least when I turned 40 any way. I liked this film so much that I must have watched it 10 times now. I can really relate to Pete, especially when he's on his bike rides with his Trek road bike and wearing all of the Live Strong clothing, I bought my first high end road bike at around that age trying to personify myself as a star athlete that I never was, and at the same time eating cupcakes behind the backs of others, too funny. I really liked Debbie's character as well, a 40 year old woman that doesn't really know how hot and sexy she really is, inside and out. I feel sorry for the negative critics for this film, maybe you'll finally get it when you turn 40, in 15 or 20 years.

Another missed opportunity.

Author: sweating101 from United States
17 May 2013

Before I start I'd like to say I love Judd Apatow's comedies. One thing is he knows a lot of good comedic actors who help in delivering his material. If there is one thing that he does is that his second acts usually divert away from the rest of the movie, i.e. the Las Vegas scene in Knocked Up.

This Is 40 as you know is the sort of sequel to Knocked Up, and this time we follow Pete and Debbie, Allison's sister and brother-in-law and their families. The storyline goes deeper in their frail marriage and livelihoods that was only touched in Knocked Up. Debbie tries her best to keep her family together, while trying to incorporate new age ideas. Pete on the other hand comes off as the cool bro. Even at forty years old he still has no idea how to talk to women, including his own wife and daughters. Sure he's funny but when it comes to his family he defers always to Debbie.

Debbie is having problems with turning forty while he sees no big deal to it. In the meantime their daughters are growing up and becoming mature to themselves and to their parents toxic relationship. Pete's having trouble with his business and father, and Debbie is having trouble with her husband, kids, father, and herself trying to let go because she always needs to be right.

The good is the stars and the supporting players, including Albert Brooks as Pete's dad, Robert Smigel as his friend, Chris O'Dowd as his employee, Melissa McCarthy as an upset mother mad at Debbie and Pete, and John Lithgow as Debbie's absent father.

Where the movie loses it for me is about the same place Funny People lost it for me. Somewhere after the hour and twenty minute mark Apatow always brings up a conflict and a situation following as to how the main characters go about it. In Funny People this part happens when George is feeling better and decides to keep using his illness to get together with the one that got away. This plays for twenty or so minutes until another conflict arises and then after that the movie goes back to it's original pace.

This is 40 does the exact same , and as always features the woman upset and the man acting as an idiotic sixteen year old. "No thought process needed because I'm a man, whatever bro." Can a man act this stupid and revert to his younger days of ignorance? Yes, but not the way Apatow makes it play out. It works better in Funny People because George is despicable from the get go, but I still think it was pointless and went nowhere.

All in all the actors are great, but the movie drags around the final act and goes on and on until the resolution. It starts off strong, spills the milk then gets some paper towels to clean the mess. I still like it enough to give it a seven. But I wish someone was around to tell Judd Apatow to pull it back a bit. To me The Forty Year Old Virgin is still his crowning achievement, and he's still producing and making good work. Just a swing and a miss on this one though

this movie is absolutely perfect for 40 year old men

Author: Srinag S.M from bangalore
8 May 2013

i think the movie is quiet good as it really shows how people are so in- different and in secure these days. paul judd is too good. jude apatow is great . it is a nice movie.

i would have really aprecited if the other chraraters in knocked up movie are also present. jason,seth, jonah are all missing

ryan song at the end is very nice. i mean this movie really better than all the UN realistic crappy movies which come in cinemas.

i love all jude's movies. they hilarious and funny.

the kids are adorable.

i really like the scene where she argues that her age is just 38 years

Like a series of 3 minute sitcoms

Author: Gordon-11 from Earth
29 April 2013

This film is about a married couple's real life troubles, both at home and out of home.

"This Is 40" has a funny beginning, while towards the middle drama sets in. It shows parenting challenges, intimate relationship problems and financial woes, which are not usually seen on screen. It is interesting to watch the story unfold, as it is filled with situations that slightly older adults can relate to. One thing I find suboptimal is the piecemeal fashion of the plot. It is like watching a series of 3 minute sitcoms, as the situations are not really related to each other. We get to see one funny situation and then another, but there is really little connection between them. Overall, "This Is 40" is a fairly entertaining comedy, but it could have been a little shorter.

Getting to grips with aging

Author: Roland Jakobsson (rolandddd) from Sweden
25 March 2013

For a Judd Apatow film, laughs are surprisingly few and far between as the director aims for something a little different than his usual films. This is 40 follows Pete and Debbie's (Paul Rudd & Leslie Mann) everyday lives and also the lives of their two daughters.

The plot is episodic, and the lack of structure means that a lot of the events in the movie just happen haphazardly. But I guess it is one of the things Apatow wants to show us, that life sometimes just happens, without much structure at all, so I can understand that.

What is really good about this movie is that is has a strong theme, the struggles of adapting and adjusting to getting older. It shows in how Debbie lies about her true age and how Pete struggles financially as a record company owner who tries to promote bands from the 70s not realizing that people don't buy records at all anymore. Pete and Debbie's quest to keep up a facade of coolness while their teenage daughter points to the obvious, that they're not, is sometimes painful to see but I think it works well in the movie.

To sum it all up, the movie retains some of Apatow's trademarks such as the crude humor and colorful language, but to tell the truth it really isn't that funny, and the running time of over two hours is a good 20 minutes too long in my opinion. Well worth watching but I predict it will be quickly forgotten.