IMDb > I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Page 1 of 24:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

love...but not in love

Author: life_as_a_decoy from United States
9 March 2007

Last night I went to a screening of this film and didn't know what to expect. I have to say this is the best Adam Sandler comedy since Happy Gilmore. It seems that with this new comedy duo that Sandler got his magic back. This story is about two firefighters in Brooklyn who have been best friends for what seems like forever. Larry Valentine (James) is a single dad trying to raise two kids on his own and Chuck Levine (Sandler) is a notorious playboy who has a new girl(s) every night. When Larry tries to change his beneficiary from his late wife to his children he finds out that the process would take a long time. Because he's a firefighter, and worries that he could go at anytime, he wants to make sure his kids will be OK. After a traumatic incident he feels even more pressure. When he finds a loophole in the system, he asks Chuck to be his domestic partner. Throughout the movie their relationship is under fire and it's up to their attorney, Alex (Jessica Beal), who believes they're gay, to save them from criminal charges. They try to keep their relationship a secret but it eventually gets out that they're a couple. Everyone they know starts treating them differently and they are witness to the discrimination homosexuals face on a regular basis. Little do they know, when they defend themselves, they defend gay people in general. Dan Aykroyd plays their Captain at the fire house and is also their voice of reason. Steve Buscemi plays an inspector who is sent to their house to catch them at their game. There are numerous cameos, by some of everyone's favorites, and they show up at some of the most random times making their appearance in the movie that much funnier. When I left the theater I felt like a did 100 crunches because I was laughing so hard. It didn't drag, and it didn't get overly sappy, at any point. Some of the jokes are stereotypical, but it's the first time most of them have been on the big screen so it was fresh humor. I sat next to my gay friend through the screening and I've never seen a man laugh so hard in my entire life. So, for all you people who think this movie will be a bash at homosexuals, I say watch the movie and then make your opinions. I enjoyed this movie so much that, when it comes out in July, I will PAY to go see it with my friends.

Give it a go

Author: ctron1 from United Kingdom
19 August 2007

OK it is full of stereotypes, yes the movie does old jokes, it is fairly predictable and we have seen it before. The crucial question is this – is it funny? The simple answer is yes. My wife wasn't enthused about this one, but she laughed heartily. For a comedy to be any good you need to laugh out loud at least 6 times. I think I laughed about 10-12 times. Some of the scenes were set up really well and the comedy acting was superb.

OK the plot is unbelievable and a little silly, but it's a comedy! Give it a go. If you love meet the parents, dumb and dumber, there is something about Mary and Kingpin, you will enjoy the show. If you have a cinematic bypass and love politically correct left-wing tripe – then this one isn't for you. Its as simple as that!

Another instance of critics missing the point

Author: Christopher Smith
24 July 2007

Gay jokes have always been staple of Adam Sandler comedies. It goes with Sandler's juvenile, boyish sense of humor. As far back as his "Saturday Night Live" days, Sandler has been serving up gay jokes left and right. It was only a matter of time until Sandler decided to extend his love of gay humor to feature length. What's surprising is how well I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry actually works. I've often said the best movies are the ones that have a point for existence. When millions are being spent, there should be a reason. Most of Sandler's pictures have had a message, however small they be. Billy Madison made it clear to its young audience to stay in school. Click made it painfully obvious that family is important. Now 'Chuck and Larry' comes with a message about tolerance and acceptance. I wasn't going to write a comment about 'Chuck and Larry', but after reading the critics' extremely venomous reaction to the flick, I think that they miss the point. Many have labeled it hypocritical for wanting to laugh at gays while standing up for them. Honestly I think the critics who say that had their minds made up about the film before they viewed it. The characters making homophobic remarks and jokes are seen as ignorant and unaware. True, there are stereotypes present, though most of them are stereotypes that the characters believe to be true. I found Brokeback Mountain to have just as many if not more stereotypes than are present here yet that was intended to be a serious drama.

80% of the jokes in 'Chuck & Larry' work the ones that don't are simply due to pacing. There's about ten more minutes of fat that could have been sucked out of the running time. Luckily, it's nowhere as dreadfully long as the Knocked Up was. However, I do wish that the film shared Knocked Up's R-rating (trims were made to make this a PG-13). There are times when the editing is extremely obvious and distracting, which took me out of the scene at times. Here's hoping for the original cut to be released on DVD. Somehow I doubt that it will. As satisfying as 'Chuck & Larry' is, seeing it as intended would be more fulfilling.

Fun With Chuck and Larry

Author: Chrysanthepop from Fraggle Rock
9 July 2008

Dugan's 'I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry' starts off like a typical Adam Sandler comedy with the usual lame jokes, but things take off when Kevin James steps in. Parts of the film do remind one of 'Three To Tango' but it has its own jokes and is quite an enjoyable comedic flick. It rests on a thin plot that is lifted by the chemistry between the actors. James and Sandler are supported by a hilarious cast, which includes Ving Rhames (like you've never seen before), Steve Buscemi, Dan Akroyd and Rob Scheider, that provides some excellent comic relief. Jessica Biel has never looked better (what a body!). Child actor Cole Morgen is remarkably talented. And of course Kevin James and Adam Sandler are great. While the film is full of fun and laugh-out-loud moments, fortunately it's not offensive in any way, considering the theme. It's quite pro-gay. Overall, this is a fun film. If one is in search of something light and some laughter, 'I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry' is a recommendation.

Much better than I expected

Author: shootingstar562
23 July 2007

I saw this movie yesterday with my boyfriend, my best friend, and another male. Several minutes into the movie I turned to my best friend and whispered "What have these guys dragged us to?" and rolled my eyes at the movie that I assumed would be another hour and a half of male oriented comedy. I was way wrong. Half an hour into the movie my sides hurt from laughing, and by the end I couldn't stop smiling at not only the humour, but the surprising good moral taught by this movie.

What begins as lame humour accompanied by nearly naked women, quickly turns into a heart-warming comedy about friendship and the definition of love. Not to say it doesn't still have a fair bit of goofiness and humour, because there's definitely a lot of that too; hilarious movie in my opinion.

I ended up being so glad we had chosen to attend this movie. When I saw the previews weeks before I hadn't even considered going to see it, but now I'm happy I did. Hilarious movie, great actors, and a cute message hidden underneath, what more could you ask for?

The 700 Club couldn't come up with a better piece of gay-bashing

Author: 3s2m from North Carolina, USA
13 March 2008

Is it possible to claim to support marriage rights for same-sex couples and still be homophobic? After seeing "I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry" the answer is yes. Two heterosexual Brooklyn firemen (Kevin James and Adam Sandler) file a domestic partnership claim so that one of the men can protect his children in case of his death, him being a widower. In spite of the specious setup, the opportunities for a charming farce were all there, but Sandler (and director Dennis "as an actor I was who they got when they couldn't get Bruce Dern so I now direct bad comedies instead" Dugan) mucked it up with a bunch of lame jokes and condescending stereotypes of gays.

The woman (Jessica Biel) who advises Chuck and Larry to beware of a fraud investigation is a heterosexual woman with a flaming queen for a brother. Everyone at the AIDS benefit is a voguing, prancing flamer dressed in costumes that would make Elton John squirm, and when anti-gay protesters crowd the outside of the building where the event is held, only Adam Sandler and Jessica Biel's characters have the courage to stand up to them at all. In another scene, the mailman hits on one of them. What's worse is Kevin James' character's effeminate son. Apparently because he wants to try out for the school musical and can dance, he must be gay.

This is not an issue of political correctness, which I abhor. In fact, I don't mind gay jokes that are funny. But there's a line between jokes about homosexuality and making fun of gays, which this movie crosses like it was the finish line of the 100 yard dash. This film's message is apparently that "gays are sick freaks, but let them get married anyway." That is a profoundly anti-gay message. SInce GLAAD approved this film just as they also approved the patronizing BS of "Will and Grace" and "Queer as Folk", they ought to change their name to the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Intellectual Honesty. Adding insult to that injury, the film's funny moments are too few and far between.

What's perplexing is how Barry Fanaro, a former writer for "The Golden Girls," a classic 1980s sitcom which had a few episodes about non-stereotyped gays, got into this mess. I guess Lifetime Network's been stiffing him on residuals and he's sick of Ramen Noodles. There is also an embarrassingly bad performance by Rob Schneider as an Asian justice of the peace. In fact, I'm more offended by this than Mickey Rooney's character in "Breakfast at Tiffany's;" at least that film could use the excuse that it was 1961, but there's no excuse here. That the untalented Schneider is half-Filipino does not make it better. And how did Dan Aykroyd or the obnoxious David Spade get involved in this bigoted debacle? With all the SNL alumni in this vomit-inducing garbage, I guess I'll be watching MAD TV from now on.

An Average Comedy

Author: treeskier802 from United States
27 July 2007

This film is basically an average comedy. You can poke a lot of holes in the plot and there is a lot of stupidity. Yet, there are some parts that make you laugh out loud. This is an entertaining film, but your own sense of humor should dictate whether you want to see it or not.

Sandler and James play New York firefighters. The basic premise is that Kevin James' character finds a loophole in the system so that if he marries Sandler, his children will easily get his employee benefits. Without a wife, his children would be held in limbo by the state for a while before they get any benefits. This, of course, is a stretch, but since it is a comedy you just kind of go with it.

So after James saves Sandler's life, Sandler agrees to go through with this. This is where the gay jokes ensue. Add in Ving Rhames who is a gay firefighter who comes out of the closet due to James and Sandler and also add in Jessica Biel as some eye candy who Sandler badly wants to date and you have all the ingredients of this comedy. Rob Schneider is funny playing an Asian minister. This movie is pro-gay I would say, so it shouldn't offend homosexuals, and Schneider is part Asian, so I guess he is supposed to be off the hook for making fun of that ethnic group. Anyway, all the jokes are supposed to be in good fun, but some people might get offended. If you are the type of person who gets offended easily, then you probably should avoid this movie.

Some nice cameos in the film and the soundtrack is largely comprised of known gay artists.

I saw this in the theater with my girlfriend. You would probably be smart to avoid the pricey theater tickets and wait until this comes out on DVD. This is not going to be a classic comedy and is not close to one of Sandler's best. At the same time, I don't think that it is an awful film either. Rating 6 0f 10 stars.

May I have my cake and eat it please? Oh, no need to worry about the taste.

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
13 July 2009

Chuck and Larry are buddies and fellow fire-fighters in New York. They are very close and would do anything for one another so, when a problem with Larry's pension arrangements comes up that can be solved by entering into a civil partnership, Chuck agrees to pose as his "husband" in order to solve the admin problem. Sadly a high profile fraud case in another state means that the "couple" are under scrutiny from obsessive investigator Clint Fritzer and must play their roles to the full. Hilarity naturally ensues but can everyone also learn a lesson as well?

It dismays me to hear people praising this film for its "sensitive handling" of the subject of homosexuality and the way it challenges bigoted thinking on the subject – such thoughts can be found in the comments section on this site and they dismay me because sadly to some viewers this film may be the nearest thing to "discussion" on homosexuality that they have had. In this way maybe one could make a case for this film being an effective but blunt tool for the mostly teenage male fan-base of Adam Sandler to be "reached" and "educated" by giving them what they want in terms of crude humour and broad stereotypes but then also leaving them with a message that will teach them the error of their ways. It would certainly be nice to say that but one cannot help feel that this is not the reality and that, rather than using the crude stereotypes as a vehicle to deliver a message to a traditionally homophobic fan-base, the film is actually using the message to facilitate lots of homosexual stereotypes, jokes and clichés.

This is what the film does throughout – it wants to have its cake and then also get to eat it. So, spoiler alert, it turns out that homosexuals are people too. Apparently (according to the film) it is NOT OK to treat them differently and exclude them from things and anyone who does, well, y'know what, ell, turns out those that are do are the real jerks. That is about as sophisticated as the message gets but that is perhaps to be expected and for the target audience maybe that is challenging enough. Unfortunately for the wider audience or casual viewer it will come off as little more than patronising and not make up for the fact that the majority of the film flies in the face of this. What the rest of the film does is draw laughs from the fact that two straight characters have to "be gay" – which of course means all the stereotypical stuff that we all know. So nobody wants to pick up the soap in the shower (because all a gay man needs to be aroused is the sight of someone's ass), disco music is played, finger-snapping is everywhere and so on. Fortunately it is sporadically amusing and provided me with a few chuckles whether I wanted to give them up or not. It is not THAT funny though and the casual viewer will mostly just let the brash, obvious humour wash over them without it doing much.

The cast buy into it well though and do their best to sell it. Sandler is his usual rather annoying self and does his best to prove he cannot act by being the usual "irresistible to women" thing rather than the "creepy man-child" that he would be were his character real. James comes off a lot better I'm not really seen him before although he probably does fit TV better than films but he does have a good comic presence and also does OK with coming over more of a regular guy. Loved Ving Rhames in it – sending up his tough guy image while Buscemi, Aykroyd and a few others are amusing in support. Biel has an amazing body and that is pretty much what she is asked to do – be in underwear and look stunning, both of which she effortlessly does but nothing else comes forward.

This film is not the awful piece of comedy that some critics have said but it is a simple, stereotypical comedy about homosexual clichés that tries to justify it by having a very basic message that most people should have already learnt in the 1990's. While some may praise the film for having this message I find it more concerning that people still see this message as somehow "worthy" rather than "d'uh – of course". Some laughs help it through and Sandler's fans will enjoy it despite the "message" but for the casual viewer it is just another clumsy and crude Adam Sandler film.

A film about Adam Sandler trying too hard to look manly

Author: KineticSeoul from United States
2 November 2009

This is a film where Adam Sandler literally tries too hard to act manly and cool. This is a very stereotypical movie with a lot of gay jokes thrown in, and has some sexist images of women. Charles "Chuck" Levine (Sandler) and Lawrence "Larry" Valentine (James) are veteran FDNY fire fighters. And during there routine Chuck almost gets killed and Larry saves his life. Soon Larry realizes he has difficulties naming his children as primary beneficiaries in his life insurance due to the death of his wife. So in order to get his benefit he needs to get married. Larry asks Chuck to enter a pretend marriage with him after Larry read a article about domestic partnerships. Chuck declines at first, but is reminded of his debt to Larry so he agrees. The main highlight of this film is when Alex McDonough(Jessica Biel) is thrown into the mix, who play Chuck and Larry's lawyer. I however disliked Adam Sandler in this movie, he just tries way too hard to prove he isn't gay in this film to point it gets a bit annoying and he is like banging every girl that crosses his path in this one, yeah firemen get girls but c'mon. At times it had it's moments and had some funny jokes but it really drags and don't know how to quit. I think it would have been awesome if Chuck and Larry eventually found out they are gay for each other cause Chuck is a sleazy gay character, but I doubt Adam Sandler would do it since he has such a high image of himself which I realized after I finished watching this movie. Basically the film is about Adam Sandler trying really hard to look manly, while there is a bunch of stereotypical gay jokes thrown in. Jessica Biel was really hot and attractive in this and is the main highlight of this film and finds herself in many situations in her underwear. Which is the main point, but her assets is a nice touch, so I can't complain.

Insulting to everyone who's not a white male, but to to the gay community most of all.

Author: mimi_murlough
14 August 2010

I went into the movie with very low expectations, having read about how awful it was with regards to gay stereotypes. But what I didn't expect was for everyone who isn't a white straight male to be stereotyped. There were only two men who weren't white in the entire movie; one was an Asian caricature to a degree that I thought was extinct since the fifties, and the other one is the only black guy on the force – so of course he also doubles as the huge scary (crazy) guy. He's notable becomes a double offense when he, form the moment that he comes out of the closet, turns into a mincing sissy. This is supposed to be comedic, because can you imagine a big black guy who isn't scary? Or a black guy who I gay? What a hoot! The movie also suffers from rampant misogyny, depicting every single woman as a first class idiot who's naturally all over Chuck.

Mind you that this trait has nothing to do with Chuck being handsome, charming or anything else. In fact, his way of seduction is to mock and insult his target, then expecting them to obey his every command (which they incredibly do). He's not just this way to women either, in fact he constantly makes homophobic comments and treats his so called best friend like dirt, including turning his plea for help down without as much as a thought and having sex with his maid in his bed, while Larry's still in it and mere minutes after Larry clearly described how hard it was for him to let anyone sleep on his wife's side. Then there's the treatment of the issue at hand, of course. Apart from the raging stereotypes, it's as if the writers have no idea how homophobia works. The supposedly progressive lawyer asks the "couple" who is the chick – a question that is one of the parade signs of ignorance on homosexuality. Then she asks him out on a "girl day", basically trying to turn him into the gay pet cliché. The main characters themselves also continue to look slightly panicked in the presence of gay men, even as they go through a supposed character development.

As bad as this, or even worse, is that this movie about homosexuality is completely devoid of homosexuality. Really, there is no same sex love or attraction going on here at all except in the last five minutes or so. And then it's only a quick wedding between the two most prominent gay characters (as in the only gay characters with more than one line), who never even been shown on screen together before that. Even a fake kiss between the leads is avoided at all costs and treated like something absolutely horrific! Not to mention the often cited assurances of their heterosexuality in the form of an avalanche of female conquests and a dearly beloved wife respectively. Adding insult to injury, all the homophobia that we get to experience is directed against two straight men that are rather homophobic themselves – it's all just an act, so if they do feel hurt it's not on a personal level.

With the contradictions I've mentioned earlier, it seems like the purpose for this movie isn't to deal with homophobia, but to make straight men the heroes of gay people á la every mighty whitey story in history. Think about it; they never actually did anything to gain their heroic status. They were exposed as a fraud and then loads of people wanted them freed because… I don't know. I really don't. They have done nothing for their community aside from punching an anti gay activist in the face. If this is really enough to gain iconic status in spite of everything else, I can't see it as anything short of degrading the community to make Chuck (Larry is nothing but a sidekick, really) look like a hero with minimal effort. This is a minority that has claimed enormous improvements in their treatment these past fifteen years, who turn major cities into sanctuaries for diversity for a week of the year, and that at least in the US has rioted multiple times when the authorities went a step too far against them. But in this movie they don't dare lift a finger unless a straight man or woman takes the first step. And just like that, there goes the last drop of credibility that this train wreck of a movie might have had.

This is where some might wave my concerns off as sensitive and say that this isn't relevant to comedy. But fact is that timing, acting, or even Larry's rather sweet character can't save this movie after all the misogyny, homophobia, racism and what not that it's built upon. If you're not a white and mildly homophobic male, chances are that the continuous insults will ruin the fun.

Page 1 of 24:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]