Happy Death Day 2U (2019) Poster

Way Better Than I Expected
ymyuseda27 February 2019
Rating 8.4/10 Surprisingly entertaining !! It definitely worth a watch. This film isn't perfect and is possibly quite unoriginal but it's still tons of fun and puts a fresh twist on the concept. The characters are likable and the humour is brilliant at times. It's just lots of fun and excitement. Very enjoyable !!
242 out of 314 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An Impressive Sequel, Magnificent Work From Landon, Rothe and the Crew
CANpatbuck366416 February 2019
Happy Death Day wasn't my favourite movie from 2017 but it was in my top 10 and it qualified as the biggest surprise of that year for me. It was a solid slasher movie with a lot of funny material and a unique take on the time loop concept. The trailers for Happy Death Day 2U didn't deter me from seeing it but it looked like they could be repeating the successful formula from the first one. What may be the most surprising part of Happy Death Day 2U is the fact that other than providing a recap of the first movie, so little of it is recycled. This isn't a horror movie, its a science fiction/comedy mashup with horror and romance elements thrown in. It not only works but it works so well that it rivals the first one in execution for me. They broaden the scope of the movie and it switches genres. I can't think of another sequel (I'm sure there has been somewhere, I just can't think of one off the top of my head) that boldly chooses to go in a completely different direction. It not only makes that choice but it succeeds at it completely. The best part is that 2U is that while it is inventive, it retains a lot of what worked previously. The sense of humour carries over and there's more than enough funny material to go around. I laughed a lot throughout it was key that they kept things light to keep the pace up.

The movie choosing to change things up was the biggest surprise but the wonderful development of the characters was just as impressive. Tree's development into being a better person was a highlight of the original Happy Death Day, it added an interesting dynamic to the story. Tree continues to grow (no pun intended) and I have to hand it to writer/director Christopher Landon for developing the characters further with new aspects without just repeating the same arc. With Tree facing the same scenario but with many changes, the characters are the same yet completely different and it keeps things intriguing. While 2U was funny there were also some emotional moments that were very heartfelt. I liked how the original included the evolution of Tree's relationship with her dad, they double down on that in this one with the surprise inclusion of someone from Tree's past. The genuine joy that comes out of that realization for Tree and the pain that it causes later had a lot of pathos that you wouldn't expect from this type of movie

Jessica Rothe's second performance as Tree is a fantastic work. 2U requires so much varied work from her doing physical comedy to involving drama and she pulls it off handily. She's outstanding here and I really hope she's on her way to bigger things because this is a great follow up performance. Almost the entire supporting cast returns and they all perform capably. Rothe and Israel Broussard still have a lot of chemistry as Tree and Carter, and their relationship has some sweet moments scattered throughout. I liked that they gave both Rachel Matthews and Ruby Modine different things to do as Danielle and Lori. They both were fun to watch. I also thought Phi Vu was better utilized in this movie as Ryan, it was cool that they took a minor character from the first one and expanded on his part. Vu's performance helped make that a solid choice.

I'm sure plenty of people will be complaining about the genre shift and tonal change from the first entry in this potential franchise and while I did have to adjust but it didn't bother me. I only had a few complaints when it comes to this movie. Just like the first one, they border on having too many twists when they're wrapping up. I liked all of them but the movie wants to bring a lot of new elements in at the end and the final 15 minutes feels a little overstuffed. They also jam some of the more juvenile bits of humour in the very beginning and the very end of the movie that can feel a little out of place tonally.

I was a huge fan of the first Happy Death Day and if you made me pick I still think the first one is a better stand alone film. But Happy Death Day 2U is wildly creative, the script is really sharp and Jessica Rothe proves how wonderfully versatile she is in another great lead performance. People always complain about sequels just being carbon copies of the original or that the plot is recycled or how originality in movies is dead. I was blown away by how Landon and his team were unafraid to blaze a different path with the continuation of this potential franchise and give the audience something fresh to chew on. If you're stuck on having another slasher movie, this might not be your cup of tea but I can't recommend this highly enough. If you enjoyed the first one and can keep an open mind, go see Happy Death Day 2U.
167 out of 230 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sometimes it's better not knowing how the sausage is made...
KingKongKyle14 February 2019
Sometimes it's better not knowing how the sausage is made. The first Happy Death Day was a fun little slasher flick that never took itself too seriously and was thoroughly entertaining for what it was. The sequel, Happy Death Day 2U, tried to provide explanation to the phenomenon that befell Tree in the first film. It all involves a science project gone wrong and a bunch of time-looping sci-fi mumbo jumbo that isn't nearly as smart as the movie thinks it is. This should be a franchise where you can just turn your brain off and have a good time. Instead, 2U wants the audience to think. That's the big mistake. Most of the "science" stuff makes little to no sense, and making us think about it only makes us realize how convoluted a mess this story is. I won't even get into the eye-roll worthy plot conveniences that have to exist for the film to even move forward in some spots.

Another issue is this isn't a horror movie. There may be a couple short scenes that lend themselves to horror, but this is much more so a sci-fi story, a far cry from what we started with in the first movie. Also, the movie reaches a satisfying ending place, but then decides to not end there and throws in a ridiculous "heist" movie at the end. Why not? We're already watching a horror-comedy-scifi-romcom?

Now, it's not all bad. The movie does keep moving at a steady pace and most of the characters are entertaining (even if they aren't particularly engaging). The sub-plot about Tree's mom feels genuinely heart-felt and gives the movie a little emotional weight. There's plenty of decent laughs throughout. And, as in the first film, Jessica Rothe seems to be having a ball in the lead role. There's also a mid-credits scene to suggest we're gonna expand this universe even more. And while I'll welcome a third movie in this fun franchise, I wish the writers would understand that more isn't necessarily better. Sometimes keeping it simple is best. 6/10
159 out of 219 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Enjoyed it very much.
reneenielsen128 April 2019
Loved the first movie because the actors did a fantastic job meshing slasher and comedy. This sequel, while not as intense as the first, still was highly entertaining. It's not Citizen Kane, but this genre isn't supposed to be. The acting again made me laugh all the way to the very end while still holding the "who is the killer?!" suspense with all the alternate realities.

The actors make these movie-especially the lead actress. The cast are believable in an unbelievable setting and blend well together.

It's a fun popcorn movie for sure.
38 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not as good
Dave_0525 April 2019
Unfortunately this movie is not as good as the first one. I really enjoyed the first one but this one is nowhere near as entertaining. I am shocked how its rating is almost the same as the first movie.
91 out of 135 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I loved this crazy movie!
Rainbowbeany13 February 2019
Quick review. I recommend watching the first one as closely as you can to this one. This one picks up right where it left off. The cast pops with some side characters coming to the front of movie. Great scares. This movie will literally give you all the feels. Jessica Rothe and Rachel Matthews are perfect in this movie! This movie takes you on such a wild ride that you will want to ride again and again! I plan on seeing at least two more times before it leaves the cinema. Also stay for the post credit scene you won't regret it!
116 out of 176 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A sequel too far
Leofwine_draca11 December 2019
I thought the original HAPPY DEATH DAY was a mildly enjoyable spin on the slasher movie, the GROUNDHOG DAY of its genre perhaps. Sadly, this quickly-shot sequel is one that already stretches a thin premise too far. I did like the sound of having one of the original movie's supporting characters involved in his own separate story, but it soon transpires that this is just a way in; after half an hour we're stuck in a virtual reprise of the first movie's plot, albeit with less horror, more science fiction, and a ton more (unwanted) comedy too. I found Jessica Rothe's shrill performance one of the worst things here; she overacts considerably throughout and the director never seems confident enough to rein her in a little. The plot is meandering and jumps from genre to genre without ever being particularly interesting. They should have left things alone after the first film.
35 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Surprising - Better than the First!
MovieMan62813 February 2019
Quick Review. Thought the first Happy Death Day was decent (7/10) but this sequel was surprisingly really good and better than I expected. It expanded on the universe and the characters from the first one, while introducing a few new ones. I'm a big horror movie fan but I was okay with it losing some of the horror elements as it makes the most sense for the continuation of the story. The characters already know the drill, it's not really a "scary" situation for them anymore, nor should the filmmakers try to force it for the audience. I don't think it would have worked if they went that route.

So the new sci-fi/time travel direction that this film takes, with a good dose of humor and heartfelt moments, surprisingly worked for me and maybe it's because I didn't see it coming. It's not perfect, I would give it an 8.5/10 if I could. The ending was a bit much but overall it was a really fun and enjoyable movie, better than the first in my opinion. I'd highly recommend checking it out, especially if you're a fan of the first. (Unless you are looking for a more serious slasher film, in that case, I think you'll be disappointed.)

Curious to see what Happy Death Day 3 will be like and if it will have yet another new tone different from the first two movies.

Happy Death Day - Slasher/Comedy Happy Death Day 2U - Sci-fi/Comedy/Drama Happy Death Day 3 - ???
155 out of 244 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Perfect sequel
JokersHideout19 February 2019
Perfect sequel to an innovative horror comedy. Wonderfully balances comedy, slasher-horror, science-fiction & heart-filled drama Plus Jessica Rothe delivers a dedicated performance which makes the experience all the more richer. Stay during the mid-credits for a hilarious epilogue
70 out of 110 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Happy Death Day Does It Again
fmovie13 February 2019
This is how you do a sequel. What an absolute thrill ride this was and I hope they do a third movie to cap off a decent trilogy. Don't go into this expecting full slasher either because the first movie wasn't a full slasher.
90 out of 150 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Surprisingly Entertaining!
antoniopicon16 February 2019
Entertaining, fast paced, and really funny. And also a good amount of Back to the Future references. It definitely worth a watch.
60 out of 105 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not as good as the first film.
BA_Harrison16 February 2019
Seen the first film? Of course you have, but if it's not fresh in your mind there could well be moments in this follow up that'll seem a mite confusing. The whole new scientific explanation for the Groundhog Day phenomenon certainly takes a bit of following and a lot of swallowing: the convoluted time travel exposition covered in the first half of the film travels at breakneck speed and doesn't make a whole lot of sense. And let's not forget about the overall uneven tone, the film frequently veering from its horror roots into sci-fi and absurd comedy territory. It's quite a departure from the original, and to be quite frank I don't think that it was very successful.

A hot mess of a movie for the most part, the chaos that unfolds is reasonably fun for a while despite the preposterous story developments. Unfortunately, the repetitive nature of the plot eventually takes its toll, and the final act really labours the point, taking its merry time to wrap up proceedings in a not too tidy fashion. The cast are fine and do what they can with the material, but the slapdash script and seemingly random approach taken by director Christopher Landon ultimately makes for a disappointing sequel.

Still, Happy Death Day 2 U is so silly at times that I can see it gathering a cult following, even though, if truth be told, it's not all that good.
72 out of 130 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the dumbest movies you will ever see
louthewerewolf26 February 2019
There's a plot point in this movie where the lead character cannot decide if she should sacrifice her mom's life so she can date some random guy she's known for less than two weeks, or let her mom live and not date the guy she literally just met. Like, yeah, choose the new guy over your mom's life. There are plenty of mom's in the sea! Boyfriends are forever! And that's just the tip of the stupidberg. The science behind everything is so cartoonish. At one point, the scientist who invented it even tries to kill his other timeline self in order to stop the device from going off. That's right, he resorts to murdering his other self instead of, you know, just explaining things TO HIMSELF. But wait! There's more stupid! The timelines now get changed so much that the killer is now someone else. And this is where the movie will really piss you off most. With the first killer, the motivation worked, but with the new killer, the motivation is so paper-thin, it's like the writers had to pick someone so they rolled some dice. And if you're here for the horror, guess what? The real horror is finding out this is secretly a feel-good, rom-com. Not even kidding. The (actual) killer is rarely even in the movie. If you must watch this movie, get a bunch of friends together so you can at least share some laughs while you all make fun of it.
124 out of 245 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awesome Follow Up for Fans of The Original.
matdog32114 February 2019
I am a huge fan of the first film. In a wave of cashgrab horror movies that spill out every year the first film felt like a lot of care was put into it. The characters were likable, the suspense scenes were excellent, and the comedy aspect didn't sour the movie. Moving on to the sequel though, audiences can expect a much more comedic tone than the first with the who-dun-it aspect being thrown to the backseat and the character's relationships being put in the forefront. That doesn't necessarily make the movie boring or without suspense. With it's sequel, our protagonist Tree finds herself in another dimension where not only she is targeted but her friends as well, and if she wants to get out of the loop again she must figure out a way to survive the day along with her friends or they will be gone forever. This change in plot causes a lot of suicide in Tree's limitless lives, more so than an actual killer getting the job done. This might sour some viewers that are expecting another campy slasher that the first film executed well for a PG-13 film, but personally, I saw it as a huge character arc that Tree is now capable of handling the killer by herself, but uses her loop as an advantage to save others from being dead forever. It was impressive to see even minor characters return for this film just for the sake of skipping plotholes since the day resets to the day we are familiar with in part 1 towards the second act. Without spoilers, just to name a few returning minor characters there are scenes with the asian sorority sister, the doctor Tree was having an affair with along with is wife, and even Tim, the boy interested in Tree that has a secret revealed in part 1 that I won't spoil if you haven't seen. Which brings me to another point, I strongly suggest renting the first if you haven't seen it, and would also recommend for a rewatch just to recap everything. The movie does a fine job of doing that in a small scene, but when the day resets in THIS movie, some things are different. And you might not catch them if you don't remember the movie that well! I thought they were fun, dedicated twists that kept loyal fans of the movie intrigued. And with this amount of detail put into the sequel, I can safely say the movie was handled with just as much care as the first. The makers of this movie, including Director Christopher Landon, clearly have these characters and this world stored in a place in their heart. The secondary characters like bitchy Danielle, Nerdy friend Ryan, and even new characters that are crucial to Tree's storyline, all are handled perfectly with it's script and development from the first that make it a somewhat nice reunion to see them again, like a good season 2 of any show. And this goes without saying that Jessica Rothe AKA Tree is brilliant here. Jessica carries Tree's character and the rest of this movie on her back with her level of emotion and comedic timing. There are quite a few heart tugging scenes that would definitely fall flat if it wasn't for Jessica Rothe displaying such raw emotion for a campy Rom Com Horror. Having said that, Happy Death Day 2U is short on scares, but that's not to say there aren't suspenseful scenes, because there are (the hospital chase scene with Tree and Lori for instance is one of the films best scenes) but if you walk in expecting a thriller/horror comedy, you will be disappointed to see that the movie plays out like a Sci-Fi comedy, masked as a horror film. Which, is why I have to give it 8 stars instead of 10. I think the movie would have benefitted if it had left science out of the franchise all together. Because of the scientific aspect, the film asks the audience to believe certain things that just make things too far fetched to handle. And once the film unravels as a sort of Back To The Future knockoff rather than a Groundhog Day one, this shoves the potentially iconic babymask killer to the back for Tree and her multi-dimension subplot to fully take over. But, overall, having these Back to the Future comparisons doesn't hurt the film. This movie did what any good sequel should, and that's to tell an original story without jumping the shark, and I think the film managed to make use of it's 1 Hr and 40 min run time perfectly, because not once was I bored. In fact, I had a blast seeing it. But I might be biased because some people in fact, did not like the original at all where as I helmed it as a favorite of that year. So with that I say, if you didn't like the first Happy Death Day, Happy Death Day 2U won't leave you feeling happy.
36 out of 64 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
As enjoyable if more than the first. The same but also very different. Almost like an alternate universe(HA!).
mulcahyj-0754528 February 2020
Lots of negative reviews here. Some of which come from people who liked this movie but didn't like this. Some of those because of the change in direction. If it was just a repeat of the first that would have upset them because of repetition. In a movie about repetition? Others didn't like the first one anyway. That surprised me as they watched this. Do they like repetition or not? Sorry. Couldn't resist that. Others didnt like the fact the genre completely changed. I was expecting it to be more of the same and was very surprised it wasn't and was done so well the change of genre I didnt even think about as the film was so engrossing it was not an issue for me at all. But we are all entitled to our opinion. I didnt expect the first film to be any good but really like it. Expected this film to blow it but was great fun for me. If you haven't seen the first film I would advise you strongly to watch it first. The quick catch up at the beginning is not going to be enough to anyway near understand this. The plot is full of holes and lack of logic. Doesnt matter one bit firstly because it moves so fast and is such fun it doesnt give you the chance or the willingness to dissect so you sit back and enjoy. Secondly the first was also full of plot holes and logic but also for the same reasons it didnt matter. Some reviewers, without giving spoilers, didnt seem to fully grasp that the characters action didnt effect other characters in they way they thought. You need to have a basic understanding in how the theory of infinite dimensions work. But that is understandable because it is quite a mind blowing concept or theory anyway. But I digress. Fast paced. Excellent acting. Great script. Great direction. Slightly less tension than the first film but more decisions to be made by the characters against an increasing run against time and odds and with mysteries to be solved as quickly as possible. My score of 8/10 is quite a high score for me to consider for any. But for the type of film it is it is a very good one of them I found.

But if you intend to watch this film you need to watch the first one before. But if you intend to watch this film you need to watch the first one before. But if you intend to watch this film you need to watch the first one before. But if you intend to watch this film yo.....MY LORD! IT IS HAPPENING TO ME NOW!!
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Still a fun movie but could have made some different choices
mr_bickle_the_pickle22 February 2020
I have mixed feelings on this one. A lot of is just as fun as the original. Like it was definitely an entertaining watch for me, but I think the setup for the film is what brings it down. It starts off with Ryan now experiencing the same day, so the movie makes you think he is going to be the focus of the film. He is not. Even when the Sissy (his time manipulator machine thing) breaks and they all get zapped, I thought maybe they will all be thrown into a loop together...they dont. It just happens to Tree. Also, during this setup Ryan comes across another version of himself and that never gets explained. Where did he come from, how did he cross dimensions (I mean when Tree gets stuck in another dimension time loop, she doesnt come across herself). It just gets completely dropped and forgotten about. So I feel like they could have taken the chance to do something different with the film, but instead it quickly becomes the same as the first again. Which again, isnt horrible. It is fun. Just could have been different. Also, Tree gets to a point where she comes to the conclusion that she "cant have it all" and makes the decision to go back to her dimension. But once she *SPOILER* realizes that the killer isnt actually after her in this world....why cant she stay, have her mother back and still get Carter? I mean, she knows Danielle is cheating on him. Its not like thats a relationship that is going to last. She could have it all. Maybe it would have been better if the killer was going after Carter or her mom, so she really had to make that decision of one or the other. But oh well.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing
jackfrings13 February 2019
After I've liked the first part, this puts it on again. In addition to many new scary scenes, the second movie also have a kind of "Back to the future." The story about tree is in this part amazing revised and brings many surprises
59 out of 112 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent sequel with creative writing, but...
TopDawgCritic11 March 2019
Excellent sequel with surprisingly creative writing mending nicely with the first film, but it just wasn't as entertaining or suspenseful as the first one. Felt a little longer that its 100 min run-time compared to the first film that was almost the same run-time but breezed through. Still impressive writing, directing, acting and entertaining. 8/10 from me.
32 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Absolute garbage!
jamesmclean196316 February 2019
Enjoyed the first one immensely. But this is up there with Space Camp as one of the worst. 10/10 ???cmon.........!!! The scene with the girl dressed as a blind french woman trying to retrieve a set of keys was truly toe curlingly bad. One of the worst scenes ive ever seen in a movie and totally desperate.
116 out of 243 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Jessica Rothe does it again...wow!
2001ASOfan15 February 2019
Discovered the original "Happy Death Day" accidentally in theaters during its initial run when looking for something to see and half-heartedly choosing it, only to be wowed and thoroughly entertained. My best friend and I both agreed it was one of those under-the-radar gems you are lucky to find only once in a great while. While the entire cast's game performances added up to an entertaining whole, lead actress Jessica Rothe's all-in performance was the revelation. The script had her juggling horror, comedy (not to mention slapstick physical comedy), drama, and rom-com genres, sometimes switching between them in a moment's time, and she made it seem effortless. This was a character you came to truly care about and root for. When we saw the trailer for this sequel we were hopeful, but, frankly, the trailer was so frenetic we thought they might've gone too far, risking losing the balance of the original. Happily, that's not the case. While "Happy Death Day 2U" does go for broke in continuing to juggle so many genres you think it can't possibly hold together till the end, it does, and the character Rothe created only grows even more sympathetic and appealing. We found ourselves rooting for her even more, and, once again, came away dazzled and thoroughly entertained--and hoping for another sequel to come!
24 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
HAPPY DEATH DAY AGAIN AND AGAIN
huntsmanlock13 February 2019
Let's say this! You won't want to leave the theater after this movie there's lot of heart, laughs and enough to keep you invested.
45 out of 89 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
LOVEE iiittt!
englulua13 February 2019
I swear i could literally hug and thank all the cast/ crew right now! It is soooo gooood I enjoyed it much! I could watch it over & over again!!!! I just wish there would be another third one ;( !!!
45 out of 90 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't bother. Coming from a fan of the first movie.
nch-3577014 February 2019
I loved the first movie, I knew i had to watch it from the trailer months before it came out. It was a lot more fun, and it also kept you laughing but interested.

This movie however, was a bit all over the place. There were too many ideas. I checked my watch a few times wondering when the end was coming, which is not good! The trailer gives off the slasher vibe, yet it's more time travel meets emotional family film. There were so many characters and plots that there was no main focus.

In my opinion, 1 great idea and character is far better than 20 average ideas, and if you don't know how to merge different genres, don't.

In the alternate reality with her professor and his wife being the killers trying to kill Lori? It just didn't work and was totally OTT. At least Lori's plot in the first film worked really went and was believable.
52 out of 108 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Rules. This movie freaking rules!
Francesco_Adam21 February 2019
I liked the first film. It's a clever idea for a horror film, and over all I would say decent.

But wow! This sequel manages to take the films concept, and go even further, get a little bigger and more crazy. I was completely entertained from start to finish. Really love the cast, it feels more like a group ensemble this time. The story some how finds a crazy balance of being a fun, drama, horror, mystery film, and it's all those things and more and it totally works.

I had a blast with this. Better than the first film. Totally would recommend it.

P.s. It is essential that you watch the first film before seeing part two.
16 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Uniquely fresh
donepudisrikar16 February 2019
Happy death day 2U somehow managed to capture the same plot of it's predecessor, and yet keep it new. Even with a predictable twist, the journey there kept me at the edge of my seat. Hopefully we will see another sequel from one of blumhouse's better productions.
16 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.