The Mauritanian (2021) Poster

Sad but true story about Guantanamo Bay.
outlander25 February 2021
I think The Mauritanian gives a very insightful look at the extent governments will go to coverup how the treat prisoners. Here in the United States and other countries around the world. Doing all that can be done to get false witness against anyone. The end does not justify the means, which is something brought to light in this movie. This is a true story from the story told in the book Guantánamo Diary, written by Mohamedou Ould Slahi. It tells of his experiences in Guantanamo Bay. Maybe one day we will learn to treat each others as humans and respect deserved until the facts are proven.
263 out of 315 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Guilty Until Proven Innocent...
Xstal2 March 2021
... but even then you're still guilty, because somebody has to pay, so it might as well be you! If it wasn't for people like Nancy Hollander we wouldn't have the outstanding Tahar Rahim to thank for portraying, through an award worthy performance, the unbelievable injustices endured by Mohamedou Ould Slahi. Unlocking some of the not so secret secrets behind the incarceration of the innocent, the torture and torment of the unfortunate, the proximity in time and space to a place you probably call home reinforcing the impact of lessons seldom learnt and the overwhelming ignorance of those entrusted to protect us when given carte blanche to do so.
194 out of 234 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A story that should be told
raysa-4266613 March 2021
This is my first imdb review and for a good reason.

Because of the review rating, I was hesitant to watch this film, you see I've spoiled my way to 7.5 or above.

But this is more than just the acting, this is a story that should be known. Awareness can lead to change. It can help us grow in our understanding, and can hopefully lead action.

Please watch.
70 out of 82 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An Oscar Film
alkitbe-8647525 February 2021
Wow, really amazing and inspiring film. True story, Great acting and wonderful cinematography. Tahar Rahim must be nominated for the Oscars as best leading Actor!!
228 out of 282 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mindblowing
atractiveeyes3 March 2021
This movie is just mindblowing, heavy and so important. The true story is so sad but also interesting and important. The movie portrayed it so nicely; the screenplay is great and so is the storytelling. Performances are all superb specially by Tahar Rahim who gives an Oscar-worthy performance. The Mauritanian is a nice decent important well crafted biography. A must see.
120 out of 158 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A much better film than the recent "The Report"
somf25 February 2021
A lot of great talent make this a particularly riveting film. No punches are spared when it comes to how incompetent and inhumane Rumsfeld's policies were at Guantanamo. I criticized The Report for being too visceral in trying to make its point. This film had some very disturbing scenes as well but they were much more effective. You actually cared for the characters in the film. The Report and the Mauritanian make the same points, but where the Report was dry with little character development, The Mauritanian tells a fascinating personal tale.
110 out of 148 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sobering
alan-4672 April 2021

Now read that again:- After 9/11, the USA caused Mohamedou Ould Slahi to be removed from his homeland and transported to the Guantanamo Bay detention facility, where he was kept for 14 years and two months, undergoing extreme forms of interrogation (amounting to torture), then was eventually released, never having been charged with any crime due to lack of firm evidence.

How much impression did reading that make on your emotions? I guess not a great deal.

Now go and see this movie to help you imagine what it must have been like. Whether or not it's a true reflection of both sides of opinion, it's a sobering watch. Sometimes, the written word just isn't enough - thank heaven for good movies.
39 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
powerful straight story
SnoopyStyle15 August 2021
Mohamedou Ould Slahi (Tahar Rahim) gets picked up by the Mauritanian police after 9/11. It's the start of his odyssey to Guantánamo Bay. Three years later, New Mexico defense attorney Nancy Hollander (Jodie Foster) gets recruited to be his lawyer. She is joined by junior associate Teri Duncan (Shailene Woodley). Meanwhile, Marine lawyer Stuart Couch (Benedict Cumberbatch) is recruited to be the prosecutor to give the prisoner a death sentence. He is eager for the job after losing a close friend in one of the planes. Former classmate Neil Buckland (Zachary Levi) is involved with the interrogation.

Director Kevin Macdonald delivers a clear-headed dissection of the case against Mohamedou who is known here as The Mauritanian. The power of this movie comes from a straight forward telling of his story. I am uncertain about portraying the torture but somehow it has to be laid down on film. I would consider a less direct approach to give the audience some space. There are a few lines of dialogue that I wish Nancy would say. The performances are beyond reproach. All in all, this is a powerful truth seeking missile of a film.
26 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Taut true tale well told and acted
richard-196714 February 2021
This film about the true experience of Mauritanian Gitmo prisoner Mohamedou Ould Slahi carries off a painful story that reminds us that Guantanamo is still there, still with prisoners.

Excellently acted by the principals, most especially a wonderful Tahar Rahim, this film is timely - coming years after many of us have almost forgotten about Gitmo. The scenes in the prison are exceptionally well realized.

One flaw is that Shailene Woodley's character, the junior lawyer, is poorly drawn, is present before dropping from sight until the end, and doesn't give Shailene much of a chance to do anything with the role.
81 out of 117 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
At the film's core is outrage
nancyldraper3 March 2021
This is a difficult movie to watch or write a review on. At the core is outrage. Those who don't want to believe that such outrageous things could be done by their beloved country and those entrusted with its values and justice will deny its assertions to protect the vision they hold as sacred. Others will raise their fist and proclaim they fight for the right of those abused and violated. Both sides will claim they know the truth. I am not surprised by man's inhumanity. Indeed, my faith calls it original sin. The difference being, I believe we are all capable of it. But my faith also believes in deliverance and hope, responsibility and the power of redemption. This film does a remarkable job of representing this man's story. The performances are flawless. The storytelling is compelling. The warning is important. For those reasons, I give this film an 8 (well told) out of 10. {Drama}
72 out of 104 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Underrated
evanston_dad13 July 2021
I had modest expectations going into "The Mauritanian," a screen adaptation of the book "Guantanamo Diary," which blew the whistle on the U. S. treatment of prisoners of Guantanamo Bay. Usually, if a movie as Oscar-baity as this one fails to receive a single nomination, it's because it's not very good. So call me pleasantly surprised when I discovered the film to be the exact opposite.

To some, "The Mauritanian" will likely be too heavy handed. It's one of those liberal Hollywood diatribes (and I say this as a self-identified liberal progressive) that can be too much even for those who've already bought what the movie is selling. I might have been turned off if I'd been in a different mood when I watched it. But sometimes, the commitment of the people making the movie can overcome its excess earnestness, and that was the case for me here. Among the usual Liberal Activists = Good, U. S. Government and Military = Bad tropes, the film does try for some nuance in its characters. Jodie Foster gives a sensational performance as the attorney dedicated to freeing the film's protagonist, played in an equally wonderful performance by Tahar Rahim, and we're allowed to see that she's unlikable and conflicted. Likewise, Benedict Cumberbatch, as the prosecuting attorney, is introduced as what we're sure is going to be a macho Southern military goon stereotype, complete with unacceptable accent, but the movie subverts our expectations and shows that he's capable of letting personal and patriotic feelings be outweighed by humanitarian ones. Granted, the film does none of this elegantly or delicately, but I just appreciated a story that at least attempted to populate a liberal/conservative issue movie with characters that are more than easy ciphers. The film could probably be criticized as yet another white savior story, and those criticisms would be justified. But it's a damn good one.

Shailene Woodley rounds out the cast as Foster's assistant, and she's excellent as well. The director is Kevin Macdonald ("The Last King of Scotland"), who has a knack for making blisteringly entertaining movies out of gruesome true event subject matter.

Grade: A.
18 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Goosebumps
umarbashir2132 March 2021
This film deserves an oscar. Man, what a movie. Cant even imagine what he went through. Sure we have heard what had happened in there and sthere still detainees there, but to see it through the lens is something else completely.
71 out of 106 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
These fellas r the brothers of Joseph Mengele n Shiro Ishii.
Fella_shibby9 March 2021
In 1967, Martin Seligman, a Ph.D. student in psychology, conducted an experiment that involved delivering electric shocks to dogs in various states of restraint. The goal was to assess whether inescapable pain could condition an animal into "learned helplessness," whereby it simply accepts its fate.

Thirty-five years later, the then United States government drew inspiration from this experiment in its approach to interrogating terror suspects.

But it was the United States judicial system n few good men that gave the suspects a fair trial n justice.
38 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Heartbreaking injustice
ianslater-5486614 April 2021
Not only in the subject matter but how has Tahar Rahim been overlooked by "the academy" for his incredible performance?! Absolutely astonishing.
23 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My heart is very heavy
Gordon-111 May 2021
This is a very very powerful film, that brings a very dark page of history to light. My heart is so heavy from the horror I saw. When the credits rolled, I didn't want to stop the film. I'm amazed by how he keeps his positivity, or even the will to live through years of darkness.
23 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Needed to be made
jrwygant25 February 2021
Excellent. Great acting. Great script. This is a movie that needed to be made. I have seen Tahar Rahim in the 2009 French film "A Prophet." He is an incredibly convincing actor.
85 out of 135 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Astory needing to be told
Saiph904 April 2021
Whether he is guilty or not is not important, but the West cannot claim the higher moral ground while we imprison and torture without trial. The USA has bombed houses around the world who have been killed by association. They have simply been in contact to someone deemed a terrorist. The story is superbly acted and will leave you angry at what is being done. This is a compelling story of a man plucked from Africa and being tortured to obtain a confession, thankfully there are people in America who stand up for peoples right, in Britain we are drifting and presently they are trying to ban protests that cause annoyance, we need voices that cause annoyance.
19 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Eye opener.
LmH826 March 2021
Eye opening, the book has to be on your list, its on mine. Brutal but a must see for us all I reckon. Very well done, no fluff straight to it. Obama and Biden should hang their heads in shame forever more.
48 out of 77 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An interesting drama film !
dm-3008412 February 2021
You probably will cry while watching this film , amazing act , edit , soundtrack , exact script and directing 👌
67 out of 111 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing movie...
Thanos_Alfie6 July 2021
"The Mauritanian" is a Drama - Thriller movie in which we watch a man named Mohamedou Ould Slahi trying to convince the U. S. Government that is innocent. He was detained and imprisoned without any charge and now with the help of some lawyers he will fight for his freedom.

I liked this movie very much because it was based on true events, it had a nice and very interesting plot, and some outstanding interpretations. The direction which was made by Kevin Macdonald was simply amazing and he presented very well and very careful this sensitive case. He also succeeded on presenting his main characters very well without confusing the audience with all the dates and the locations. The interpretation of Tahar Rahim who played as Mohamedou Ould Slahi was simply outstanding and he made the difference. Some other interpretations that have to be mentioned were Jodie Foster's who played as Nancy Hollander, Shailene Woodley's who played as Teri Duncan and Benedict Cumberbatch's who played as Stuart Couch. Finally, I have to say that "The Mauritanian" is an interesting, in tense drama movie which I highly recommend everyone to watch it because I am sure you will learn a lot from it and you will also understand even more.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
14 years of hell....
CinemaSerf1 April 2021
Tahar Rahim and Kevin MacDonald have come some way since their first collaboration on "the Eagle" (2011). This one sees the former - Mohammed Ould Slahi - incarcerated, without charge, by the American authorities in Guantánamo Bay. His case comes to the attention of attorney Nancy Hollander (Jodie Foster) and together with her colleague Teri Duncan (Shailene Woodley) they fight tooth and nail to secure his release. Benedict Cumberbatch is their opponent, the formidable and honourable Col. Crouch, and as the story unfolds both parties begin to appreciate the extent of the atrocities being carried out. Rahim is super. His portrayal demonstrating startlingly well the extremes of human endurance - of body and spirit - as Hollander works tirelessly to secure his release. There have been a spate, of late, of these style of films that point the finger squarely as successive US administrations who use the rule of law as/when and if it suited them - regardless of their red or blue politics - and this poignantly delivered documentary-style film uses dialogue potently (and sparingly) as well as flashback and actuality-effect photography to gradually (OK, maybe a bit too gradually) depict the backstory of this young man - whom, so far as we know is guilty of nothing at all - really sensitively and powerfully. This is not a film that sees much actually happen in any traditional sense, and if you have read any of his best selling "Guantánamo Diaries" then you will know just how this legally protracted story concludes, but as an assessment of a state's attempts to systematically dehumanise a man; and of the blind obedience of some of it's servants in-so-doing, it is a compelling film to watch that cannot fail to leave a nasty taste in your mouth.
17 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mouvie of the year
babahemine12 February 2021
It is a great movie that you will cry when you finish watching it. A wonderful performance by Jodi Foster and Taher Raheem. I am very good. I advise everyone to watch the story.
62 out of 108 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another scandal from the USA, the land of the free...
deloudelouvain27 June 2021
Movies based on true events are always more interesting to watch and when it's a story like this one you can't help it to have very opiniated emotions. It's another (yes there are plenty) scandal coming from the land of injustice (even though they think they are so rightful whilst the opposite is much more accurate). The land of freedom and justice, of opportunities, where people are treated like equal no matter what your religion or skin color is... That's how they like to portray their country. If you tell yourself a lie long enough you might start believing it. The Mauritanian is a powerful movie with excellent actors. Tahar Rahim did a great job playing his character and so did Jodie Foster. It all starts a bit slow but as soon as you get into the story you can't take your eyes of the screen. Guantanamo Bay, another enormous scandal everybody knows about by now, another scandal where nobody had to pay the price for their wrongdoings, a scandal where the only ones that paid a very high price are the innocent. It's not a movie that will leave you with a pleasant feeling, but it's for sure worth watching. To me one of the better movies I watched this year, or even in the last decade.
16 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A must watch
knoxy-963574 April 2021
This is one of the most powerful and inspirational films I have ever watched.

The American government should be ashamed of themselves.
16 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
'In Arabic, the word for free and the word for forgiveness is the same word'
gradyharp5 September 2021
A very timely release for THE MAURITANIAN - the 20th anniversary of the 9/11 attack coupled with the controversial withdrawal of troops and civilians from Afghanistan as that twenty year long war ends. Finally we are offered insight into the Guantánamo imprisonment of 'suspected initiators' of terrorism through this true story as offered in Mohamedou Ould Slahi's book GUANTANAMO DIARY written in 2015.

Kevin Macdonald directs this well-written screenplay (Michael Bronner, Rory Haines, Sohrab Noshirvani) that places before us the tragic treatment of detainees at the prison in Guantánamo. The gifted actor Tahir Rahim (A Prophet, The Past) brings a stunning performance as Mohamedou, facile in English, French, and Arabic, and grows into the role so well that he captures not only the right to be released as innocent after 14 years of torture and misery as an uncharged detainee, but also our hearts and minds. He is championed by his lawyer Nancy Holland (Jodie Foster) assisted by her associate Teri Duncan (Shailene Woodley). The testy prosecution attorney Lt. Colonel Stuart Couch (Benedict Cumberbatch) is ultimately able to unlock the files that reveal Mohamedou's innocence and has the courage to bring this into the courtroom at last

The entire cast is excellent, including the prisoner's family, and even the guards mistreating Mohamedou are convincing in their depiction of the horrors of the prison, and the musical score by Tom Hodge incorporates music of both sides of Mohamedou's life without overwhelming the film. This is a difficult film to watch because it is true - and still happening! But this is an important film for all of us to experience and then strive for correction of this dark and ugly problem.
13 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.