Parents GuideAdd to guide
Showing all 18 items
|MPAA||Rated PG for thematic elements, some language and brief smoking images|
Sex & Nudity
- A man says to his brother, who has called a free mixed race woman an "exotic flower," "One samples the exotic flower on the cotton fields of the Indies," suggesting that white men should use black and mixed race women for sex and abandon them; the man speaking approaches the woman on a lawn at a hedge and grabs her arm hard, hurting her, grabs her chin and mouth in one hand, then below frame, grabs her crotch area as she grimaces tearfully and gasps and then frees herself and walks away.
- The heroine talks with her love interest at a party. He grabs her and forcibly pulls them both away from other characters' views. This is because the man is afraid to damage the woman's reputation by being seen together because the man is of a lower social class. The woman is startled but not upset. They sensually gaze at each other. Her breasts heave because of the fashionable low cut dresses she wears.
- The heroine and her love interest kiss passionately.
Violence & Gore
- We hear that the captain of a slave ship chained together hundreds of slaves who were becoming ill, having first ushered in illness by refusing them water and passing by eight ports of call where water was available to the ship; he ordered the chained people pushed into the ocean, where they sank and drowned, and then submitted a large insurance claim for their loss, the claim being more profitable than their sale at market.
- Many scenes of character yelling.
- A drawing on a pamphlet depicts the head and neck of a black slave with a heavy chain and barbed wire around his neck.
- Although slavery is discussed constantly, no slaves or slave conditions are shown except in drawings.
- 2 mild obscenities, 2 derogatory terms for African-Americans.
- Stereotypical references to slaves, slave owners, the rich, bigots, snobs, men, women, the British, the French, Quakers and male gold diggers.
Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking
- We see several men and women drinking glasses of wine at a long dinner table.
- Men drink wine in the drawing room after a dinner.
- A waiter pours champagne at a garden party (no one drinks.)
- A dark pub scene shows men who drink tankards of ale.
- Ceramic cups of an unknown beverage sit on tables in a meeting room and one man picks up a jigger-sized metal cup and sips what may be an alcoholic beverage.
- A man says that an alleyway used by smalltime merchants is full of blind drunks.
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- There is a brief implied sexual assault when the main character is physically threatened by a young man from a titled family.
- The main character is subject to regular and repeated discrimination, being referred to as a 'negro' and a 'mulatto.'
- The film contains some disturbing descriptions about the treatment of slaves.