Parents GuideAdd to guide
Showing all 21 items
Sex & Nudity
- Explicit sex
- Several instances of men raping women, and at least one of a woman raping a shackled male prisoner, are shown, usually with little or no nudity.
- Many episodes contain sex scenes with nudity.
- There are multiple versions of this show. The one that originally aired on the History Channel and the Blu Ray version. The original History Channel version is completely censored for nudity. The Blu-Ray version contains nudity.
- In season one there is a scene where rollo rapes a young slave
Violence & Gore
- Violence is present in most episodes.
- The worst scene is the first Blood Eagle execution. Although you barely see anything of the act, the sound effects perfectly describe what is happening. The second Blood Eagle execution is extremely graphic and disgusting but it lacks the tension from the first one.
- In many scenes you only see the bloody, gory aftermath.
- A hand is chopped in half. Graphically shown.
- There are frequent moderately violent scenes and occasional extreme violence, for example a man's lungs are cut out of his back and placed on his shoulders in a punishment ritual.
- A man is tied to a pole. A woman approaches him, pulls a knife, and cuts off his penis. This is not shown but it is made clear what is going on.
- During battles, raids, and assassinations throughout the series, people are beheaded (the bloody aftermath is shown), slashed, stabbed and shot with arrows, sometimes with bloody results.
- Throughout the entire show there have been only two uses of the f word in season 2.
- Profanity is sparingly used. "Bitch" is said once in Season One. A man is called "son of a whore" in season Two. A few uses of "piss".
Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking
- The Vikings (including twelve-year-old boys) drink ale on occasion.
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- The battle scenes can be intense, and much tension is present in some scenes. The main character and his older brother are both very aggressive and displays sometimes disturbing behaviour. There is a scary looking leeper who works as the shaman of the vikings.
- In the first two seasons there is a definitive tension between the Christian Priest and the Vikings religious beliefs. This causes some uncomfortable vibes in some situations. The battle between what one believes, what is tolerated, and what one may sacrifice (in terms of beliefs) is fairly intense in some episodes.
- In season 1 a man occasionally has a vision of a grim reaper-like apparition of the pagan cheif god Odin. A man has a dream about how he found his adolecent son murdured. Their bodies are shown. (Episode-specific details have been deleted. Only provide series or season details. Episode specific items should be added to the episode.)
- Season 2 has a character who likes to carry with him the skull of his wife who was murdered by his enemies. Most of the other characters display open discomfort and are disturbed by this behaviour.
- Strong depictions of sex (including 2 rape scenes) and violence, as well as some language and drinking in the extended version.
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- The torture and death of Ragnar Lothbrok is very prolonged, brutal, and EXTREMELY emotional. He is horribly beaten, has his face graphically cut, has a hot piece of metal placed on his torso, and is finally dropped into a pit of snakes.