American Sniper (2014)
Parents GuideAdd to guide
Showing all 27 items
|MPAA||Rated R for strong and disturbing war violence, and language throughout including some sexual references|
Sex & Nudity
- A few moderate sexual references and missing scenes throughout.
- In a conversation, a man says he'll use an item to "get laid" and then there is talk about a slutty woman who was known to "suck" a lot of men.
- Two men walk into a house, and find a man and woman getting dressed (sex is implied). His shirt is off. She has on daisy dukes, and a short tank top, which reveals entire midriff. Several references are made to sex.
- A woman wearing only a bra and panties approaches a man and they start to kiss. He then carries her to another room. It is implied they have sex. They are later seen under the covers presumably naked.
- A pregnant woman in her underwear sees herself in the mirror and feels the shape of her body with her hands (non-sexual). A man approaches, they talk and kiss.
- A woman stretches her foot under the table to reach the groin of the man sitting across. This is just a brief teasing gesture, then she moves across to the other side of the table, sits on his lap and they kiss.
- A man jokingly tells a woman to remove her drawers. They kiss and she states she's not wearing any.
- A man pulls a woman into the shower where he's bathing and she shrieks. No nudity is seen.
Violence & Gore
- A man gets shot in the right side of his head. He is still alive and is rushed to a field hospital. His eye is very red and he has a big wound on his chin that bleeds a lot.
- We later see the man who got hit in the face, laying in a hospital bed, back in America. He says he can't see anything.
- Extremely disturbing violence and bloody images.
- A young boy punches another young boy in the face during a playground fight. The attacked boy's older brother intervenes and punches the assaillant repeatedly, bloodying and bruising his face.
- A man threatens to whip his boys with a belt if they become bullies. Later on, another man almost does this to a dog.
- A man threatens to torture a young boy with a power drill. He later does so by drilling a hole in his leg (mostly offscreen). We hear the kid scream and cry for his father. The man holds up the drill bit, covered in blood and tissue and then drills a hole through the kid's skull, and, as his father comes running towards his son, the man along with a few other bodyguards shoots his father. However, the scene is mostly in quick cuts, so most of the actual violence is offscreen, outside of the father being shot and the grieving mother afterwards. We do see the man begin to drill the boy's head, though, the scene cuts away here. While this scene isn't super-graphic, it's accompanied with sound effects and is disturbing and quite hard to watch.
- The body count is high in this film: multiple people are shot with bloody results and they fall to the ground. Most of the deaths in the movie are similar to this and a few are somewhat graphic (one can see the bullet entering the bodies and blood splattering around the characters).
- In one scene, a group of seals walk into a building where a mutilated man is chained to the ceiling. Blood is shown around the room and human organs as well as a severed head are seen on a shelf. This is rather disturbing.
- About 115 F-words and its derivatives
- Some other uses of "shit" and "ass" and quite a lot of religious profanities. Multiple uses of "god damn", and multiple uses of "Jesus Christ." Basically non-stop profanity.
Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking
- A few instances of drinking (beer or shots of whisky), most notably during the scene in which Chris and Taya meet for the first time.
- Taya throws up after having drunk too much.
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- There are some scenes of war violence and violent behavior towards children, including children getting sniped at, and a flashback of two children getting violently and brutally beat up.
- The scene where Chris prepares to hit a dog with his belt (due to his PTSD) can be frightening. However, Taya stops him before he can do so.
- In one scene, the TV is showing the World Trade Center being attacked on September 11.
- The scene where a terrorist uses a power drill to threaten and eventually kill a child is very disturbing and very intense. The scene that takes place in the Butcher's torturing place is really disturbing as well.
- All scenes involving street combat and the graphic deaths that ensue are quite intense.
- A man violently bangs on a glass window at a hospital while screaming at a woman to tend to his crying daughter.
- The ending can be a bit emotional.