American Sniper (2014) Poster

Good ol'Murican propaganda
davidec2320 January 2015
When American Sniper first came out I ignored the film thinking that it was the usual war propaganda Hollywood delivers once a year.

After it received a couple of Oscar nominations I got a little curious and decided to go watch it. I am a big of Clint Eastwood and appreciate most of his work as a director, I am aware of his right-wing views and as I sat down in the theatre I was expecting a very patriotic story on the war in the Middle East.

But what I got was 2 hours of pure biased war propaganda. The story is supposed to be about a war hero, but what we get is a ruthless southern who kills "bad guys" because he saw some terrorist attacks against his country on TV. Not once are the his intentions questioned by either the character himself or others. The entire film just follows a one-track minded perspective on a "just" war. There is no morale to the story, there are no grey areas where the viewer is allowed to have an opinion and decide for himself what is right and what is wrong.

Now if this was satire, it would have been brilliant. The story of a redneck cowboy who after seeing some footage on TV about terrorist attacks decides he needs to protect his country by enrolling in the Navy and killing 150 people over 5000 miles away from where he lives, and without the slightest hesitation. But unfortunately it was not.

It is actually quite sad to see how low American cinema has stooped. The fact that people might actually believe this crap (and most Americans do) makes me lose hope for the future of a once great country.

There was a time when Hollywood war movies raised important questions on the righteousness of war (such as Full Metal Jacket, Thin Red Line, Apocalypse Now) where the viewer was given the clear picture that all war, justified or unjustified, is wrong.

Nowadays most war movies are just commercials to get the American public behind the idea that invading a foreign country is a God given right.

The fact that it got nominated for the Academy Award just shows how much a once acclaimed award is quickly becoming a pat on the shoulder to the most politically correct motion picture of the year.
1,473 out of 2,492 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is a disgrace of a film
Qrobur13 January 2015
First, let me say that Eastwood's direction, Cooper's acting and the screenplay are all competent. Were this film a wholly fictional account of a warrior with special skills put in the service of his comrades it would be quite serviceable, though no more than that.

However, here was an opportunity to show the complexities of a man hailed as an American hero; and by complexities, I mean the thoroughly odious aspects of Chris Kyle's character. The man enjoyed killing people, regarding his targets as savages, and he bragged about killing looters in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina - even if he didn't, because we don't know for certain, what kind of man declares proudly his murderous inclinations? In short, he was far from a good man. Dismally, you would never know this from the simple-minded depiction of him as an all American Hero in Eastwood's film.

Likewise, there is not a shred of awareness in the film that the US involvement in Iraq might have been illegal and was certainly catastrophic for the Iraqis. The film's approach is to display every Iraqi man, woman and even child as intent on murdering "good" American troops and therefore deserving of their fate, both at the end of Kyle's rifle and under the boot of American troops generally.

I don't know what Eastwood was thinking when he made this film. Perhaps he saw an easy way to make money by appealing to the misplaced patriotism of some Americans. What I do know is that this is a disgusting film.
1,925 out of 3,290 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Anyone remembers Nazi Sniper from "Inglourious Basterds"?
aneslazimovic27 January 2015
Let me start by saying that "American Sniper" has portrayed the true face of Americas great brainwashing weapon called "Hollywood".

As in the movie "Inglourious Basterds" where Dr Goebbels, Reich Minister of Propaganda in Nazi Germany from 1933 to 1945, has been given a right to direct a movie for Fuhrer himself, a national pride performance which depicts a war hero, German Sniper killing 300 "enemies" in three days. Now switch the roles with Clint Eastwood as a director, Fuhrer as a Americas high elite of nowadays, and Nazi Sniper as an American Sniper Chris Kyle.

A big irony this movie is, and as such it shows how much effort will American Movie Industry give in order to brainwash its own people.

Pathetic.
1,072 out of 1,974 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
American Garbage
Bolesroor19 January 2015
"American Sniper" is one of the worst movies I have ever been forced to endure. It is simplistic propaganda masquerading as an award-worthy story. There is no story.

American kid Chris Kyle is good at shooting so he uses 9/11 as an excuse to join the Navy SEALS and kill Iraqis. That's it. That's the whole movie. Clint Eastwood's one-dimensional direction shows Chris as some sort of American hero, even though any sane human will at least question the cold-blooded murder of men, women & children in a morally ambiguous war. I'm still not sure how Iraq was responsible for 9/11.

Clint tries to humanize our hero by tacking on a subplot about Chris's wife, but this storyline- like the rest of the movie- has NO conflict. Chris meets his prospective wife at a bar, dates her, marries her, impregnates her and starts a family with no trouble whatsoever. Why are we watching this? In the meantime our hero goes back to Iraq to blow the brains out of more women and children, and he doesn't seem to lose any sleep over his work.

Back home Chris gets accosted in a Jiffy-Lube by a fellow veteran, and the sequence plays more like a romantic meeting than a heartfelt tribute, as the appreciative vet stares at Chris with moist, dewy eyes while licking his lips. Either way, Kyle is unmoved and displays no emotion. Why are we watching this again?

Sienna Miller as Chris' wife cannot stop touching her belly to remind us that she's preggers. The straps of her fake pregnant belly are visible beneath her bra straps. At one point she hands Chris their child and it is very obviously a lifeless, motionless doll. Why are we watching this?

If you're looking for any type of character development you won't find it here: Chris Kyle is portrayed as a killing machine without any discernible personality. A fellow officer raises the question of why Chris carries a Bible. "I've never seen you open it," he says, and the issue is dropped there. Does Chris believe in God? Does he not? There is no internal life whatsoever.

Bradley Cooper does his best to instill this cardboard cutout of a character with some depth, but all he manages to do is say "Um…" in a Southern drawl before he speaks every line to remind us that he is indeed from Texas. He meets his brother at an airport and the scene is a crime against acting: there is no connection, no exchange, no conflict. Suddenly Chris decides he wants to come home from the war and stop killing people. He does. Then he is killed by a fellow soldier and Eastwood leaves us with TV footage of the real Chris Kyle's funeral: six SUV's driving down the road while a couple people hold signs. Why?

Why was this movie made? What is it supposed to say? Why is this man special, or significant, or evil, or great? Why are we supposed to care about any of this? Why are we watching this?

The good news is: you don't have to.

GRADE: D-
709 out of 1,315 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I don't get it...
LiamCullen619 February 2015
This is a fantastic movie. I do not understand why so many people are rating this film 1/10. I, personally, didn't want the film to end.

This film is not a "disgrace" it is not "laughable" and it is most certainly not "propaganda". Get over yourselves.

IT'S A MOVIE. And a very good one at that.

Rather than list all the qualities which this film has, I'm going to explain to you what happened at the end of the film.

When a movie comes to an end and the credits start rolling, everyone typically gets up and leaves right? Well NOBODY did. And there were at least fifty people watching this film in the cinema with my friends and I. Everyone remained seated until the closing shot on the casket with the many, many badges pounded into it. Only then did people slowly begin to rise, yet nobody uttered a word. The theatre was SILENT. And there were annoying pre-teen girls present and even they were speechless.

The acting is stellar, the film tells an enthralling story, and this film is downright shocking. It perfectly demonstrates the effect war has on people.

I don't care if the real Chris Kyle was a brutal human being: this is a movie. You judge a movie based on the quality of the story, not upon the person or story that it is based upon.

If you want to see an action-packed, phenomenal and moving film this year, then go watch American Sniper.
109 out of 190 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
clint hits the target with American sniper...
imizrahi200211 January 2015
it was extremely 'even'. nothing seemed overplayed. well balanced storytelling. as someone else wrote, best war movie i've seen in years...and while we're at it, best clint movie in a few outings, as well... i agree that the ending is a bit sudden. but there was no reason to drag it out, either... i don't feel it lingered on any one dynamic of what would be expected from a film like this...not TOO much violence or proselytizing/flag waving or lingering on casualty horrors... it doesn't, on the other hand, turn away from any of the ugliness, either... i thought bradley cooper did a great job in the role. the changes he gradually instilled into the character were subtle but present. it's as well done a war movie as i'll ever need.
384 out of 717 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best war film in quite a while and Bradley Coopers best performance to date
WalterSoprano8 January 2015
I am so glad I got the opportunity to see this film early. Clint Eastwood has made yet another fantastic film but this time making his mark on the war film genre and he did it well. The story follows Chris Kyle a navy seal sniper claimed to be the deadliest sniper in military history with a record of over 160 confirmed kills. There is a lot to like in this war drama and now I will elaborate.

To start off I will say that this film deserves at least a Oscar nod for Bradley coopers portrayal of Kyle. Unfortunately the competition is to tough this year for cooper to win but I'm sure this film will get a nomination or two at least. The film not only has very intense scenes of war but also very intense scenes of what can come of war.

As I started to talk about the effects that were portrayed as far as life after war well that's probably what I can talk about the most. For a comparison I will use the hurt locker, it's a good war movie about a man who also like Chris Kyle has a preceding reputation, however he is known for a large number of bomb disposals while Chris Kyle is known as a legend due to his notoriety for kills confirmed. So there's a great similarity there however even though I really enjoyed the hurt locker I have to say American Sniper portrayed a lot of things the same and better, for example the hurt locker didn't portray the effects of war on a person as well as this one did.

There is much more I could compare between the 2 films and I also can't say a lot without spoiling much. If you have a anticipation to see it and don't let the film get over hyped you should be able to enjoy it as much as me or maybe even more than me. There is some things I'm sure some will have problems with but I don't think that will effect most people. In conclusion Coopers performance is one not to miss and neither is this film which I believe is the best war film I've seen in quite a while which may even be years. I hope this is useful and you can enjoy the film like my self. Thanks for reading and enjoy the film.
258 out of 476 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Top-Notch Directing and a Marvelous Lead Performance
Michael_Elliott10 February 2015
American Sniper (2014)

**** (out of 4)

Thrilling, tense and dramatic telling of Chris Kyle's (Bradley Cooper) rise from a cowboy without much direction in his life to becoming the deadliest sniper in U.S. history.

Director Clint Eastwood has made countless great movies in his career and even tackled the war drama in brilliant fashion with LETTERS FROM IWO JIMA. This film here could have been clichéd in so many ways but thankfully a director with such masterful direction can take a familiar story like war and its impact on someone and make it feel fresh, tight and original. Since movies began, the war genre has been one of the most popular and they continue to pump them out yearly so trying to find a fresh way to tell a story is always a challenge but Eastwood and company really pull it off.

American SNIPER is certainly about the war but it's main focus is telling the story of this American hero. The main goal of the screenplay is to show people what a special person Kyle was and balancing his personal drama and the war stuff was so wonderfully done that both story lines contained some real drama and one wasn't overshadowed by the other. I think that's the most accomplished thing Eastwood does here. Making sure that the war at home is just as intense as the war in Iraq. Another major plus is that, on a technical level, the film is flawless as it contains some of the year's best cinematography, a touching music score and some of the best sound effects out there.

The wartime scenes are all shot extremely well and I think the best thing about them is the feeling the director shows in the fact that these men are really in a trap not knowing where the next bullet is going to come from. The scenes of Kyle doing his job were full of tension as were the scenes where we get more gunfire. There's a sequence early on, highlighted in the trailer, were a kid possibly has a bomb and this here is perfectly handled. The ending is also incredibly intense and the terrific editing here really helps build up the tension of the combat zone.

What really pushes the movie from the opening scene to the very last is the terrific performance by Cooper who turns in his greatest work to date. I'm not sure how many people could have predicted that Cooper, who was mostly playing comedy roles, would turn into such a fine dramatic actor but he's turning into one of the most dependable actors out there. He's simply wonderful here and manages to really come across as a tortured person. The film shows Kyle from various points in his life. His wild younger days. His rise through the Seals. Of course, some of the most talked about scenes deal with the depression and anxiety that starts to set in. We've seen many actors deal with the "struggling vet returning home" and Cooper manages to bring a real depth to the character.

American SNIPER isn't going to end up being the best movie on 2014 but it's certainly a very impressive film. Technically it's quite sound and Eastwood once again proves why he's one of the greatest director's out there. As for Cooper's performance, it's certainly a terrific one and overall this is a great film that leaves the viewer with a lot to think about and be thankful for.
76 out of 131 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A beautifully well crafted action movie by the great Clint Eastwood
bbickley13-921-5866426 December 2014
Good work on Bradley Cooper's part as well, putting on the weight and getting into character to play Chris Kyle, a sniper for the navy seals who did four tours in Iraq protecting his fellow troops by being a legendary shot. the Movie explores Kyle having to deal with a rival sniper who was keeping him from doing the job of protecting his troops and having to deal with coming home to his wife and kids feeling that his mission was incomplete.

Old man Eastwood mixed action, drama and humor in a way only a legendary filmmaker could put together. The man still has the ability to tell a compelling story.

Bradley Cooper showed a range that is more Oscar worthy than what he did in Silver Linings Playbook.

It was nothing but enjoyable from beginning to end. Worth watching.
502 out of 954 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Intense, Emotional, Controversial and yet Engaging
nick-sultana1 February 2015
When it comes to true story films, there are times where film-makers try to add more or less into what really happened in the event being told. In this case, Clint Eastwood's American Sniper has already contracted not only positive acclaim but a stir of negativity and controversy that surrounds the way Kyle was really like in life. Some say he had lost his mind in the war for peace while others say he was caught up in the emotional aftermath after service but Eastwood has stated that his film is "the biggest anti-war statement any film can make," and said that "the fact of what war does to the family and the people who have to go back into civilian life like Chris Kyle did"

What AS tells is the true life figure Chris Kyle who served as the American military's 'lethal sniper' who has made more kills in his duty of tours during the Iraq war period after 9/11. It chronicles how Chris became a true American to protect his homeland and the aftermath of serving his tours when he came home to his small growing family, leading up to the final hours of his life.

Pros:

+ Bradley Cooper's portrayal of Chris Kyle is indeed a new height for his career, he gives a performance that can be described as gripping, tense and at times

+ The action sequences are all done well, but at times it can be tense, violent and confronting for some.

+ The emotional connection between the main character and his family, that the final scene that will either break you or make you undecided.

Cons:

• The controversy that surrounds it, it can make the film an exaggerated lie or truth to what Kyle was like in reality but again it is showing what war can do on people on the front-line and home.

OVERALL: Despite the controversy it has gained by writers , the film is indeed a strong acting showcase for Cooper while leaving audiences both open and more aware of the effects of war on human kind. Go in with an open mind and see for yourself for what you would think that made Chris Kyle a 'lethal sniper' for this country. If you had liked The Hurt Locker, Zero Dark Thirty and Machine Gun Preacher (not a war film but somewhat similar to Kyle's story) you will enjoy this.
333 out of 627 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If you haven't seen it, see it!
maz_knight18 January 2015
I have never done a film review before but after seeing American Sniper I thought i would share my views on what a brilliant film this is.

American Sniper is a biopic about the "legend" Chris Kyle (played by Bradley Cooper). Kyle starts the film as a wide boy cowboy, but then realises that he wants more from life and joins the American Seals. As this is happening he falls in love with his wife to be Taya ( Sienna Miller). This is where you start to see the beauty of the film develop. His love and passion for his country, and his endless-love for Taya is portrayed perfectly from Eastwood.

Kyle ends up doing four tours in Iraq with over 1000 days in service, away from his wife, and the three children that came over the 5 years. Out in Iraq Kyle become known as a "legend" with his deadly aim with the sniper rifle. You see Kyle become ever close with his comrades. It was rumoured that the Taliban put a bounty on Kyles head of $180,000, you can only imagine how deadly his rifle was. After each tour you see Kyle with his family and you can see that Kyle is struggling to deal with civilisation, becoming very jumpy and hearing noises that he had in Iraq. This is shown in a few teary scenes between Taya and Kyle. Some very heart wrenching moments. This showed what any military personnel would go through when tore between love and duty of serving their country.

The film ends with Kyle getting honourable discharged and starts to rebuild his life with Taya and the children. You can get the tissues out for the last scene!

I am ashamed to say that I didn't know this was a true story before watching this film. This is news that should be heard worldwide, not the latest selfie taken by the Kardashians...
296 out of 556 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
American Sniper Review
Allen_The-Shep_Shepherd16 January 2015
My Thoughts:

You would think that we would get tired of these war movies depicting life over in Iraq and Afghanistan but when they come together in a movie this good it is easy to see why we keep coming back for more. This is easily one of Clint Eastwood's best directed movie. And then we come to Bradley Cooper, he has always been a face in Hollywood but I think this movie shows that he has some serious acting chops. I know he was a Hollywood A lister before but this movie shows that he is more than just a pretty face to look at when he is on screen. I would like to see him in more of these drama type roles. Even though I did like him as Rocket from Guardians of the Galaxy.

We follow Chris Kyle's life starting with a brief glimpse of how he grew up and what he did before joining the Navy and the SEALs. We then follow Chris through Basic Underwater Demolition/SEALs (BUDs) training. To him finding and marrying Taya (Sienna Miller). But what this movie really focuses on is the time Chris Kyle spends between four tours of duty in Iraq to the time spent between them at home. Chris seems to thrive while over in Iraq, he is in his element and knows what needs to get done. Chris is in a war between himself and an Iraqi Sniper that wants the glory of taking down the Legend that Chris Kyle has become over there. When at home though he is faced with a family he barely knows and trying to get reacquainted with them, too dealing with the mundane day to day life.

I am sure there is some things that the movie doesn't portray correctly be it due to the missions still being classified or to wanting to protect some of those people that are still active and out there protecting us. But the movie does capture what it is to be a man going off to fight a war in another country and then trying to come home and dealing with not only with your day to day life but also trying to put behind the war. Luckily in this day and age Veterans do have avenues to get help and work through it. And Chris once he got his feet under him was an advocate of trying to help those returning Veterans get a hold on reality and get back to living that normal life they had before going of to war.

This movie is an emotional roller-coaster and is going to take you on a journey. So be prepaid to have your heart strings pulled and maybe a Kleenex or two with you when you see this. Especially if you are like me and did not know Chris Kyle's story before seeing this movie.

My Recommendation:

A Must See.
308 out of 580 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fantastic - Views On The War Aside, A Great Movie
gonzo_don13 January 2015
I spent 27 years in the US Army, was in Operation Desert Storm (the original), was vehemently opposed to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, and thought this movie was one of the best military/war movies I've ever seen. The realism was there, Bradley Cooper was phenomenal, the angst of a soldier during battle was portrayed brilliantly, the decisions we ask kids to make are real and they were realistically shown on screen, and as this film makes clear--war isn't a walk in the park. Anybody who thinks Bradley Cooper is a flash in the pan is sadly mistaken; this guy is the real thing. Martin Sheen in Apocalypse Now, Charlie Sheen in Platoon, and now Bradley Cooper in American Sniper. You've got to go all the way back to Gregory Peck in Pork Chop Hill or George C. Scott in Patton to get even close to an actor that gave a better performance in this genre. I saw it twice. Couldn't get through it the first time and had to walk out- -I got so damned furious at George Bush, Dick Cheney, and Donald Rumsfeld for murdering all these innocent kids I couldn't watch anymore. Once I got past that I went back to see it again and trust me--it's phenomenal.
646 out of 1,247 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of Clint Eastwoods finest directed movies!
magnus78011 January 2015
The movies is about Chris Kyle's home life and military career with the US Navy as a SEAL sniper. The movie has some intense moments, containing violent and disturbing scenes. The movie doesn't portray Chris as a Rambo figure but rather a man that deals with the problems all soldiers have to face both overseas and at home. Clint Eastwood who is in his mid-eighties, shows us he still has it, directing an amazing film. The movie tells Kyle's story the way he told it in the first book. Overall, American Sniper is a great movie that has all the components, that make a movie great. For anyone who is a war film enthusiast, this is a movie for you. To those who call Chris Kyle a murderer and baby killer, I believe you fail to understand what soldiers sacrifice to protect our liberties and keep us free.
308 out of 581 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bradley Cooper bulked up his shoulders and took on a very difficult role that etches him on the list of "Great Actors" as he plays the real life character of Chris Kyle.
jaclyn-144-75958310 December 2014
(I hope I can get through this review without tearing up)

Viewing this movie in the theatre is different than usual. While you walk in and grab your seat, you may feel that everyone around you is anticipating the same thing ... a powerful story about a powerful man with a powerful purpose. That's a lot for a movie to live up to.

I believe you will walk out of the theatre with many thoughts after watching American Sniper ... and one of those thoughts will be that Bradley Cooper gave unwavering respect to Chris Kyle, his family, his fellow SEALS, his country and the movie industry. He bulked up his shoulders and took on a very difficult role that etches him on the list of "Great Actors" as he plays the real life character of Chris Kyle. Simply put - he was believable. His look. His accent. His Texas strut. His dip. His eyes. Watching the film you can clearly see what I assume to be parallel of what Kyle experienced on the battlefields abroad and at home. I can only hope the Kyle family and friends feel the same, as Cooper's acting appears to be a beautiful tribute to a "Legend".

While Clint Eastwood didn't break any ground with direction, I do believe he was a perfect choice for this film and did an incredible job telling Kyle's story without putting politics on the screen. This is a rough story to watch no matter your political views ... war is hell on all sides. If Eastwood put politics in the film I believe the audience would have lost the purpose of the piece. This is a movie that liberals, conservatives, libertarians, and "I-don't-knowins" can appreciate.

The best movies make you walk out of the doors seeing the world a bit differently. American Sniper gives an eerie look into a world that we, as Americans, are so far away from. Many of us don't know death like this. We don't know what it's like to face the mental and physical challenges our troops face during war. We've never been in the middle of a sand- storm fire fight. Eastwood, his crew and cast provide us with a small glimpse into what our troops face overseas and stateside. After seeing the movie inside an enormous mall, it was a bit surreal to walk out to an Urban Outfitters and Apple store full of Christmas shoppers. American Sniper will push you outside of everyday life to tell you a story that will stir your head and your heart.

Personally, American Sniper brought many emotions about the courageous servicemen, women and their families that have touched my life. Over the years I've had the honor to work with the American Veterans Center (AVC) in Arlington, VA, who host the National Memorial Day Parade and Wounded Warrior Experience among other great events. Some of the veterans who starred in American Sniper have also shared their story during AVC events. If this movie inspires you to learn more about these outstanding men and women, please check out AVC.

American Sniper also reminded me of the bravest people I know -- Lance Corporal Nicholas Erdy and his family. Much like you see on the screen, the Erdy's sacrifice and love for our country is the stuff superheroes are made of.

To the Kyle family, Erdys, all veterans, servicemen and women, and their families ... thank you for your sacrifice and courage. Your stories inspire us to strive for love and peace. To Eastwood, Cooper and the American Sniper team ... thank you for clearly putting your heart into this important American story. Bravo.

Bottom line - the Chris Kyle Story - American Sniper - is a must see.
555 out of 1,070 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bradley Cooper Gives One Of The Best Performances Of His Career.
lwood2817 January 2015
American sniper is probably one of the best war films I've seen since Saving Private Ryan. Now I would probably won't consider this a war film because it mostly focuses on one character. One of the most recent war films that I really enjoyed last year was Lone Survivor. Now I thought that movie was really good but it was just handle very overly dramatic. I think this is probably one of the best performances Bradley Cooper has given in his career. I also think this is Clint Eastwood's best movie he has directed since Gran Torino. The action scenes were handled very well and it felt real. One problem I had with the film were the supporting characters. Now the acting for them were good but it's just you never get to know most of them their just there for the main character. The story is mostly just learning about one character. There really isn't that much to say about this film but if your a fan of war films then I would highly recommend checking this film out.
280 out of 527 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Powerful and Poignant
JFitzStudios4 January 2015
I can't remember a movie in the last decade, that was as riveting and captivating as "American Sniper." I kept seeing the trailer on TV and when I finally went to see it, I was already jacked-up...and it delivered.

A+ Script A+ Director A+ Lead Actor A+ Supporting Actors A+ Cinematographer

I don't give a flying crap about anybody's politics when it comes to making movies. If they're great films, they're great films period. I've been in the film Industry for 33 years and I was deeply impressed with Eastwood's take on a story of constant moral dilemma, vs Patriotic duty.

Here's a guy that was motivated to defend our world and country against Psychotic Terrorists killing innocent people all over the world...while living on the edge of fatherhood. The inner conflict and balance of creating such a powerful reality, was right on the money.

Eastwood, Cooper and the screenwriter made a great team...which eventually became a great film.
393 out of 752 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Brutal and Powerful; American Sniper ranks among the best of the year
trublu21519 December 2014
American Sniper is Clint Eastwood's harrowing take on Chris Kyle's life and his service in the Navy as a SEAL sniper who killed nearly 200 enemy soldiers. The film is relentlessly violent and disturbing but honors the life of the late Chris Kyle in a very admirable way. It doesn't show this man as an invincible legend, it shows him as a mere man with a heart and soul that are clearly broken due to his sacrifice for his country. Bradley Cooper delivers the best performance of his career as Chris Kyle. Cooper didn't merely bulk up for the role, he became this man without any hesitation and doesn't hit a false note. Clint Eastwood proves that he can still deliver a phenomenal film even in his mid-eighties. It isn't only impressive for his age, but American Sniper is an impressive film in general. It doesn't wallow in classic war film clichès, it tells Kyle's story the way he told it in the book and while some creative liberties were taken in telling the story regarding pacing, it is an excellent film. It isn't an all out war film like The Hurt Locker, it is a heavy drama with plenty of gut wrenching scenes both on and off the battle field. The most interesting part of this film is the parallels between Kyle's life as a sniper and Kyle's deteriorating life state side. It is an interesting dynamic to add to a film like this and echoes past films from the 70s such as Coming Home and The Deer Hunter. On a technical level, American Sniper sores with great cinematography that is a bit more colorful when compared to Eastwood's past films and excellent sound design. You see every wound and hear every gunshot with realistic velocity. It is a truly great cinematic experience. Overall, American Sniper is a great film that will tug at your heart strings much like last year's Lone Survivor and even goes one step beyond that film and gives us grade A entertainment with grade A acting. It stands as one of the best films of the year.
538 out of 1,041 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Superb Any Way You Judge It
ba_bam_bam16 January 2015
I honestly believe every American should see this film. If after viewing you aren't filled with a sober reverence and feelings of gratitude then shame on you. This is the quintessential film surrounding the war on terror from the point of view of those that served and even their families. I've read a review by a former Navy Seal (Brent Gleeson) that says it best… "The way the film was directed coupled with outstanding performances by Bradley Cooper, Sienna Miller and the rest of the cast made for a heart wrenching and deeply accurate portrayal of the external and internal battles our service men and women face. Not to mention the even greater sacrifices made by the families and loved ones back home."

I would rate it shear perfection had they spent more time with his recovery and angst driven road back once he was stateside. This is easily one of my top five films of the year.
279 out of 532 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Real
camelot_1992-212-95340814 January 2015
We saw an Advanced Screening of American Sniper last week, and it was awesome. This movie was directed by Clint Eastwood and you can see his hand in it. It's not flashy, and it tells the story without adding to it like Hollywood tends to do with all war movies, especially ones about the recent wars our men have served in. You feel like you know at least a portion of what a sniper and his Seal team went through while serving in the Iraq War. But, most importantly, it also tells the story of an Extraordinary Man, a true American Hero, who devoted much of his life to his country, taking multiple tours to keep "his men" safe, and to protect his country. What an extraordinary movie. I can't say enough about it. Everyone should see this movie. See what this man did for our country. I would also recommend staying through the credits. All the film shown during the ending credits is from actual newsreels. An excellent movie. I wholly recommend it.

Unlike other Hollywood takes on our soldiers, and the war in Iraq, this movie just tells the story. No fluff, no hidden agendas, it just tells the story of who this man was and how much he did for our country. You can tell this movie was based off a book by someone who actually had fought and lived this life. It's very real, and thankfully the book wasn't ruined, like so many are, by embellishments.

It doesn't have the flashy coolness that studios tend to do when portraying our Navy Seals.It's cool to see that, but then you almost feel like what you are seeing is not real, inaccurate, just a Hollywood version of what our Seals do. Then the other extreme is the hidden anti-war agenda that is always being pushed. This movie just tells the story and after seeing it you feel like you know what it was like to be a Seal in Iraq. What clearing door to door for insurgents is like and what snipers do for not only their units, but for our country as well. How important they are in our fight against those who hate freedom. This story also shows what sacrifices spouses make in order for their men to be away fighting for their country. It also to me shows the best example of the hyper awareness that occurs and can't help bought be brought home when you have to be on guard constantly when deployed in a hot zone.

I honestly went into this movie thinking there was no way Bradley Cooper could portray Chris Kyle, but was totally wrong in my assumptions. He didn't just portray this larger than life hero, he becomes him. Truly amazing piece of work.
300 out of 574 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Epitaph of Great American Hero is Eastwood's Best Film
AudioFileZ9 January 2015
Few times does a movie remain entertainment yet tell a deep truth, American Sniper manages just that. If one wanted a recent definition of a American Patriot hero it's effectively brought to life by the masterful direction of Clint Eastwood. This movie will be his crowning achievement in a much celebrated career. Such a feat could not be accomplished with just any story however. The life of Chris Kyle, and what he stood for, makes a perfect synergy.

Bradley Cooper's amazingly real depiction of a "complicated, yet simple Texas cowboy" breathes life into a story surrounded by the darkness of war. It single-handedly makes that phrase "The Greatest Generation" as one that didn't end after WWII. It wouldn't be a stretch to say Coopers got a lock on best actor after seeing the film.

American Sniper is rare in that it feels brutality honest yet palatable. While folks such as me led a very normal life stateside men just like Chris Kyle were laying everything on the line for the very belief of good we were enjoying. One can't help but feel humbled by what these men accomplished. War is the worst of humanity without doubt, but within war the best of America often rises above both evil and politics. Chris Kyle was assuredly one of the finest examples in all of American history of such and American Sniper is a fine testament of which we all can be proud. See this movie for any number of reasons, but take away the best we as Americans stand for.
169 out of 317 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Heads will explode in the "hate America first" crowd!
jpark415 January 2015
Read many of the negative reviews of this movie, and you will see the venom of a twisted political agenda. You will see words like "redneck", "sociopath", "Christian baby killer", and "nazi", along with many an anti-Christian, anti-southern US, and anti-US in general comment. I do believe that many of the people writing these types of reviews have not even seen the movie, and are essentially acting upon a Pavlovian reflex to hate and curse all things pro-American-yes; this crowd's handlers certainly have their drones well trained. While it is true that Eastwood has handled his directorial duties with a more subtle hand in the past, this is a well-directed, well-acted effort that deserves its Oscar nominations, but will probably not win the biggies. Chris Kyle's story is compelling and gut-wrenching, poignant, sad, and uplifting. Bradley Cooper deserves the best acting nod. While modern-day Hollywood loves to spit out blood, gore, ultra-violence, and soul-rotting perversion for every taste, all in the name of "entertainment" (ala Rome before the fall), nothing offends that community and its supporters more than a non-satiric, non-revisionist, look at a subject like patriotism, family values, or any theme based in Judeo-Christian morality. I mean, these are the people who want to allow Roman Polanski, a sick pedophile who drugged and then sodomized a thirteen year old girl, back into this country so that he can once again practice his "craft", when he should be smoking in hell-just like all the ululating terrorists Chris Kyle sent there.
235 out of 449 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Something is scrapped and that hurts.. a lot.
I don't understand all the negativity about this movie. It's a Clint Eastwood movie. That means that something happens and that something hurts. Inside you. Eastwood is not exactly the kind of filmmaker who delivers flat drama. A certain fact - the war this time - is presented as an excuse to present an interesting, layered character, crossing borders to transform. Well, that happens. And it hurts... We stay with this guy, this sniper. We stay with him till we feel suffocated to the point of wanting to leave the cinema. The camera is on him, without no mercy. Through his eyes we see the concept of 'defending your country' go down the drain, But without moralizing one single moment and without being disrespectful to those who believe in this concept and who go there to do that job.

We just see a man, being destroyed, and that's it.

A pro-war-movie.... ?? Come on..
36 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
First time giving an 1/10 on IMDb
dreamuzik20 January 2015
With great expectation on a highly Oscar-Nominated movie staring profound actor Bradley Cooper, which turned me down so much after witnessing a movie with empty perspective but only self-ego of American.

On the angle of movie production, this is very old-school war movie style, there are nothing new but tedious street gun fighting in this movie. If you want to find exciting war movie elements, save your money and time, just rent "Saving Private Ryan" or a much better sniper movie "Enemy At Gate" home. The emotion part of a soldier is not touching in the movie, people would not drown a tear with this unlikeable character.

And the story telling is what turned me down so much. It showed the news cut of 911, and then the army goes to Iraq instead of Afghan? What's the sense of it? Every middle-east Muslims are terrorists? The way to protect your home and family is by invading innocent people's home? The aim of the sniper is revenging over the death of friends, and the goal is execute one single sniper and then killing a bunch of armies by direct bump into their base and returned home save and sound with some scratch? How heroic and how vainly it is.

American invaded Iraq twice with non-justified reason, and there are still people like Clint Eastwood evilize middle-east country and rationalize the invasion of Americans who tried to profit through making war? For God sake it took such a long way to end the second ridiculous Iraq war, stop trying to persuade people that American is always right.

Please stop promoting movies which makes the world away from peace and wasting people's time. It's also disgusting that Oscar giving it a ticket to best motion picture, please don't promote the movie which tore the world apart.
740 out of 1,492 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Keep Both Eyes Open
ThomasDrufke16 January 2015
Bradley Cooper is simply one of the elite actors working today. He has now been nominated for 3 acting Oscars. It's debatable whether or not he was better than other actors this year, I will judge that once I have seen all the films, but he is definitely Oscar worthy in American Sniper. But he's not the only great thing about this film. Clint Eastwood does a great job directing and the editing and special effects are top notch. It's one of the most intense films I have seen this year and so I have no problem with some of the nominations this movie received.

It's really just an incredible story. At times the film can be heartbreaking. Almost half of my theater walked out weeping. I didn't cry, but man was this a tough one to watch. The fact that all of this (presumably) actually happened just makes it that much more difficult. One of the key scenes from the trailer begins the film and it sets the tone for just how intense it will be. Eastwood didn't really hold back on the brutality of killing over a hundred people, and the aftermath of what it does to a person. I initially thought the back and forth between the tours and his family life would take away from the experience but it really didn't. Sienna Miller did a very good job of giving us that emotion without overdoing it.

Bradley Cooper bulked up and also brought the emotional gravitas it takes to lead this type of film. Chris Kyle gets literally lost in fighting this war that he doesn't realize how much this is negatively impacting his family and Cooper perfectly portrayed that. I also don't know if I have seen PTSD better displayed than it was here. Of course I wouldn't actually know how that feels but I do know that the subtly with which Cooper portrayed it was very effective. They also didn't make this person out to be too much of a hero. I appreciate that they didn't take killing this many people lightly.

I also agree with the way Eastwood decided to end the film. Without spoilers I don't think there's any other way you could have served the film and it's real life characters better. American Sniper is a difficult film to watch, but it's one of the better ones this year.

+Cooper's multidimensional performance

+Story structure

+Eastwood's directing

+Doesn't hold back with the top notch editing

8.4/10
128 out of 241 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.