It's Complicated (2009) Poster

Its simple, really
Philby-325 February 2010
"It's Complicated" is pretty simple, actually. Successful Californian food store owner Meryl Streep has been happily divorced from her former husband Alex Baldwin for the last ten years, but on a trip to New York to attend their son's graduation, she starts an affair with him. He happens to have re-married, to a younger woman, while she becomes involved with her architect Steve Martin. Will Meryl and Alec get back together again, or will she set off into the sunset with Steve. ​What will the children think? Do we care?

Well, not a lot. The lifestyle depicted is one in which everything is perfect, especially the cast's complexions. There are no human imperfections depicted, unless you count lust. All the characters, with the partial exception of Meryl, are stereotypes – people from Advertising land. In real life things are much more complicated.

That said, this is a superior piece of its type and it passes the watch test (I didn't look at my watch while viewing it). True, I could watch Meryl reading the phone book, and yes the dialogue was witty and the set pieces funny, and I had some guilty enjoyment from all the affluence. But really it was all too sweet, like Meryl's chocolate cake. Alex Baldwin does a passable LA lawyer while Steve Martin seems to be in the wrong movie.
52 out of 68 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Very disappointing
selffamily8 July 2010
Wondered what this would be like - after all Mama Mia was dreadful, and even though I'm in the target group for loving it (over 50, woman etc) I found it sad and overindulgent. My first impression on seeing the family house was of the clutter, and then I spent much of the film being aghast at what surgery has done to a couple of the main characters. I haven't see Alex Baldwin in anything for years, and he's very good. But what is the matter with people? why did the main character need permission from her psychiatrist to shag her ex-husband - or anyone? Why were the three adult kids so wimpish? Why didn't they all just suck it up and get on with life? Why do rich people park their cars so far from their houses and get wet? I couldn't help wondering how the Brits would have produced this - or the Australians. A much funnier picture, I'd be bound, and with less angst. Message to the producers - we're not all children out here, needing stuff to be spelled out letter by letter; a bit of subtlety is OK. I see now why I don't watch many modern movies from America - they have become unbearable.
15 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Meyers Best...Streep sexy at 60
Clayton Davis10 December 2009
In the best work of her career Nancy Meyers presents the funny comedy, It's Complicated starring Meryl Streep, Alec Baldwin, and Steve Martin.

This fast-paced, smart comedy is everything in a mature work that didn't succeed with films such as Something's Gotta Give. Meyers creates three authentic characters with sympathy and everyday qualities that make them identifiable and first-class writing genius.

The film tells the story of Jane (Streep), who's ten year post-divorce from Jake (Baldwin), who left her for a much younger woman, hasn't necessarily become water under the bridge. Trying to find some type of happiness in her later years, she meets Adam (Martin), a sensitive architect, who is designing her new kitchen and has had his fair share of divorce stories in the past. But when attending their son's college graduation, Jane and Jake find that everything is as simple as it once seemed.

The cast here is one of the best ensemble works of the year. Meryl Streep is naturalistic and in top form showing her sexier side at 60. Streep shows that she can still create a character from scratch and make the woman as real as anyone walking down the streets of New York City. It's one of her funnier turns in years.

Alec Baldwin, in one of his best performances to date, shows immaturity and careless can get you far in a film. Showing top comedic work, Baldwin seems in the hunt for Oscar recognition. His charm and magnetism is quite surprising as we haven't seen him give a performance this funny ever, not even in his hit sitcom "30 Rock." Steve Martin, who I have found overdoes his comedy in some of his later years in film is in control and utterly enjoyable. Martin shows a sensitive side reminiscent of his works in Roxanne and Parenthood, and finds an audience cheer with empathetic tendencies can get you right back to what you do best. It's a return to form for Martin.

John Krasinski, who plays Harley, one of Jane's daughter's fiancée, is totally hilarious and drives away from the comedy we once found funny in his "Jim" on NBC's hit sitcom "The Office." Krasinski, in many ways upstages some of the veterans on film as he steals a lot of the spotlight. Krasinski is an outstanding talent to watch out for in the near future as he branches out into more demanding roles.

It's Complicated couldn't have succeeded without Nancy Meyers finally showing what good writing can do with the right people, time, and effort put into place. It's the work of her career and she remains a dark horse for an Oscar nomination for Best Original Screenplay. Though the film will definitely appeal to an older generation, the younger can appreciate the zeal and comical dialogue shared between the players. The film does run a bit long and loses some of it's spark in the finale act, but it's pure entertainment and a must-see of the holiday season.
114 out of 169 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not Even Close To Complicated
DKosty12323 June 2013
This script was mailed in from a writer having a mental block.

The plot is about as simple as any romantic comedy ever written.

Middle aged husband with kids dumps old wife for younger model. Starts having more kids and then realizes maybe he had made a mistake as the young one is making him unhappy.

Then he meets his ex-wife for a weekend of fun like they have not had in years.

Of course there is a third wheel who is romancing the Ex. The kids are wondering who is craziest.

I vote for the script writers.

They must have been nuts to write this trash.

Maybe they should watch something complicated to find out how simple and awful this one is.
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Conflicted about "Complicated"
cliffgold-125 December 2009
I am conflicted about "It's Complicated." As you would expect, the acting is impeccable. Three exceptional actors (Queen Meryl, 30 Rock's Emmy winner Alec Baldwin, and Steve Martin) ply their craft perfectly. She is Jane, a late-50s divorcée, luxury bakery owner, and mother of three grown kids. Jake (Baldwin) is the cad of an ex-husband who remarried a much younger woman, Agness (played by Lake Bell) but who remains close to the kids and even to Jane. Martin plays Adam, the architect who has designed Jane's dream home addition, which includes the kitchen she always wanted (a nod to her turn as Julia Child in Julie & Julia). When the whole family goes to New York for the youngest child's graduation, the chick flick begins. The kids go off to a party, leaving Jane to dine by herself in the hotel restaurant/bar. Jake is there alone, too, since his wife and her precocious son conveniently stayed home when the kid got sick. Surprise! Jane and Jake end up drinking and eating at the bar, having a good old time and landing in the sack. The PG bedroom scenes are the best in the movie.

As the trailer depicts, the two start an unusual affair, she feeling guilt, he having second thoughts about his new marriage. Jane confides in her best friends (played by all-star veterans Rita Wilson, Mary Kay Place and Alexandra Wentworth), who are totally superfluous to the film, and her shrink, all of whom encourage her to pursue her indiscretion. Enter Adam, a wild and sensitive guy, as the nice guy Jane needs. He and Baldwin are polar opposites. By now, we all know where the film is headed.

So what's not to like? Plenty. Writer/director Nancy Meyers hates philandering men. Fine. So why is Jane's character painted so sympathetically? She's doing the same thing to Agness that broke up her marriage and sent her into a 10-year skid. Meyers, who also directed chick flicks "What Women Want," "Something's Gotta Give," and "The Holiday," lets the movie lag for almost 20 minutes in the middle. I wanted to scream: Move it along! The film doesn't hit its stride until 75 minutes in, propelled by an unlikely scene where Jane and Adam share a joint and make fools of themselves at a party. Lastly, just when you think the movie is going to give you an unconventional ending, it doesn't. I adore the actors, like the genre, bought the premise, and ultimately was disappointed.
64 out of 93 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Let's Have More of This!
papacorn25 December 2009
I would give It's Complicated an 11 if it were possible! There isn't anything I would change about this movie. Meryl Streep and Alec Baldwin have a chemistry that I'm willing to beg and plead will go on. I want to see more of this duo. My direct request to Nancy Meyers is "keep these intelligent scripts coming." This story is an antidote to all the stupid stuff that's being shoveled out of Hollywood. Give us more of this! It's Complicated has both humor and pathos. Steve Martin plays a great foil to Baldwin's character. He's attractive and vulnerable. Streep has a genuine dilemma of riches with these two. If she would have to choose, how could she? In different ways, equally appealing, these guys wear their hearts on their sleeves. And before all the male moviegoers say, "ugh" and cross it off as a "chick flick," note that men in the audience laughed as hard and loud as women. "Hilarious" honestly applies to this film. The script is tight. The supporting cast is very natural. Jim Krasinski, is especially good in his role as son-in-law. An important note, it's rated R, so leave the kids with a sitter. Treat yourself to a movie that won't bring you down nor insult your intelligence. You'll delight in what fine actors can do when all the ingredients are there.
110 out of 176 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Has its moments
moviesleuth22 January 2010
Nancy Meyers is famous for tapping into a largely ignored market: middle-aged women. She acknowledges that women don't cease to exist after they grow older than Jessica Alba (anyone older than that loses their sex appeal in the eyes of movie studios, and that's the only thing that keeps audiences interested in these sorts of movies).

I am not a member of this market. However, I am open to movies to which I am not a targeted member. That, and I love Meryl Streep. I have seen Nancy Meyers' previous effort, "Something's Gotta Give," a movie that started out okay, but ended up being an overlong disaster that I hated. Still, this movie sounded promising, especially with Streep, who has never made a bad movie, so I checked it out. While it is certainly better than "Something's Gotta Give," it is nowhere near a complete success.

Jane (Meryl Streep) is a divorced mother of three, and an empty nester. Years after her divorce, she's finally gotten her life back together (or at least she thinks she does). However, her life is going to get a little...complicated. Her ex, Jake (Alec Baldwin) has just realized that he is still in love with Jane, and they ensue in an affair (which, ironically, was one of the reasons why they divorced in the first place). At the same time, she's also attracted the attention of her architect, Adam (Steve Martin). Now Jane has to balance these two romances out, and complications ensue.

Meryl Streep is widely recognized as one of the greatest actresses alive (and in my opinion, one of the best who ever lived). Yet with 13 Oscar nods, she hasn't done much in the way of comedy. She got a taste of it in last year's "Mamma Mia," but with this film, she gets to do some scenes that are openly funny. And she shows everyone that she can be just as successful in a comedy as a drama. Many of the film's comic scenes wouldn't be as funny without her. Her co-stars, Alec Baldwin and Steve Martin, are no stranger to being funny, and Streep manages to keep up with them. Speaking of, Baldwin and Martin are on the same level as Streep. Baldwin is equally good in the comic scenes as well the dramatic scenes, and so is Martin (surprisingly...he hasn't gotten much chance to do drama. Hopefully, this performance will signal a change, because he's got some good dramatic chops as well as comic aptitude). Had this film been better directed, they could have been looking at some Oscar nods. Special mention has to go to John Krasinski, because even though he became famous for the ultra-understated humor of "The Office," he is also great at more energetic humor too. Lake Bell has little to do than be a post-trophy wife that is often referenced, but not seen.

Nancy Meyers may have tapped into the market for middle aged women, but she's only at the top because she's the only one in it. Meyers is not an especially great screenwriter or director. The dialogue is nothing special, and her direction is flat, which renders the drama more inert than it should be. The comedy only works because of the actors, not Meyers; this should be construed as a compliment to Streep, Baldwin and Martin, since the comedy is not adequately set up. Many of the plot points exist because Meyers is trying to follow the formula of "romantic comedy," even if what happens doesn't make sense.

If you like Meyers' films, it's a film to check out. If not, I don't think its worth your time.
51 out of 80 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Standard issue Nancy Meyer comedy, with one outstanding performance
LilyDaleLady14 February 2010
If you've seen one Nancy Meyer comedy, you've basically seen everything she has to give -- posh interiors, a sympathetic 50ish actress, older women having hot love affairs, posh interiors, menopause jokes and did I say posh interiors? There IS one reason to see "It's Complicated" rather than the others, and that's Alec Baldwin; once a bland pretty boy, he has matured into a sharply funny leading man. Most of us know his work from "30 Rock". He's downright hilarious here, bravely baring a pudgy body and letting it all hang out. Many of his scenes are laugh out loud hilarious.

Otherwise, honestly this film reminded me of the kind of "women's movie" my mom and grandma liked -- 40s and 50s stuff, often starring heroines like Jennifer Jones or Lana Turner, as long-suffering mature ladies, going through various angst, and getting to fall in love with Rock Hudson or Cary Grant. The settings and costumes were always very lavish, and those films were a kind of fantasy outlet for ordinary homemakers of that era, reassuring in their message that you too could look this glamorous at 40 plus, you too could live in a Hollywood dream castle and be adored by a handsome (yet mature) fella.

I guess I thought women, through feminism and jobs and the last 40 years had outgrown this stuff, but apparently not. "It's Complicated" is a straight throwback to that sort of movie, with the addition of a bit of humor, some pot smoking and nudity.

A lot of people have mentioned the over-the-top art direction, and frankly, it is so intrusive that becomes more important than any other element of the film, which is problematic. (If Baldwin wasn't there to generate some laughs, it would be ALL the film is about!) There is nothing in this story that could not have been told in a trailer park, a middle-class bungalow or a (believable) upper-middle class suburban home. But Meyer's (herself obviously a Hollywood mega-billionaire) can't picture ANY OTHER setting than super-wealthy California. The sprawling Mediterranean home, picturesquely set on acres and acres of land, complete with pool and vast Martha-Stewart-on-steroids garden is just not believable for a divorcée putting 3 kids through college. Unless, of course, they are mega-billionaires. And if they are, that pretty much removes them from the sympathetic category entirely for audience, which I think is why the film feels cold and why even if we laugh, we feel nothing when the ending meanders off, with no clear resolution or romance.

It's especially annoying in a time of severe economic downturn to show a heroine whose major issue and ambition is vastly enlarging the already ginormous designer kitchen in her giant mansion; frankly I think most of the audience is wondering, as I was, what exactly she could have thought she was missing in a room that ALREADY was larger than most people's living room, already had marble counters and Viking range and Sub-zero fridge. It's obscene actually, in the way of banksters and Bernie Madoff; ostentatiousness for it's own sake.

Another pet peeve, though by no means unique to this film, is showing working-age adults who seemingly do not ever have to go any sort of work, and just "hang out" all day long, having long meaningful talks, drinking wine, etc. It's as if the scriptwriters literally have no idea how people spend their time. For example, Baldwin is supposedly a partner in a law film, but never goes in to work or has a case, but can have hookups with his ex all day. Streep supposedly runs a chi-chi bakery, but never has to go there, and can hang around her home cooking lavish meals all day (2 hints: professional cooks and bakers usually get enough of cooking and cleaning at their day job AND bakers start baking in the wee hours of the morning -- do you think those hot croissants materialize by themselves? -- so sex in the bakery would be problematic to say the least. Both jobs involve insanely long hours!) It's also sloppy that the decor of Jane's (Streep)mega-mansion is precisely like her daughter's house, her shrink's office, or even the hotel the lover's meet in. Bland, opulent "California Casual". There is no attempt to really define character or show a personal style; how many 25 year old girl's want a home that looks EXACTLY like their mom's? Basically, this gives the film the flat, overly well-lit look of a premium shelter magazine, like Architectural Digest or House & Garden.

Good for selling "chotchka's"; not so great for a 2 hour film. In conclusion, wait for cable or a Netflix rental, then enjoy Baldwin's performance.
13 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Garbage
lukalele15 June 2010
Saturday night... movie night with the girlfriend. She wants to get a film I've never really heard of called It's Complicated, from the description all I see is that it's a romcom. I suggest some other films saying that I'm not really in the mood for another romcom, as there seems to be one released every week lately, they're all so formulaic and we seem to see them all.

Needless to say 5 minutes later we were sitting on the couch, settling in to watch It's Complicated.

Giving in once again does have certain advantages, as I warned her that my objections to seeing yet another romcom gave me license to pay it out, if it came to that. Unfortunately for this film, it did.

As much as I respect her as an actress, all that Meryl Streep touches doth not turn to gold, and as much as I like Alec Baldwin as a comedic actor from the likes of 30 Rock, he cannot save this film. There is nothing to like about the characters, no development at all, they're all unconvincing, unrealistic, ultra-successful, perfect people with perfect lives. Even the situations they get themselves into are perfectly 'complicated' (damn that title), and you know it's all gonna come out perfectly in the end anyway. Don't expect any surprises here. I respect the filmmaker trying to present the romcom from a different angle (middle-age), but it quickly becomes as typical and predictable as the rest, especially with Streep's character behaving the way she does you're quickly forced to forget the different angle presented here that the film had going for it.

Baldwin's character is a terrible misogynist, but that's OK when you present his new trophy wife as a b*tch (played by Lake Bell, totally overshadowed by the better acting talent on offer here just as she was in Boston Legal) with a horrible movie-child, clashing terribly with the too-perfect grown up children Streep and Baldwin's characters had when they were first married.

Streep's character is the most insipid, self-indulgent, shallow character since Carrie Bradshaw. She's impossible to like. For 5 minutes at the start of the film we're presented with a few scenes making it blatantly obvious how alone she's become, 2 minutes after that problem solved, she's in bed with her punch-in-the-face persistent ex-husband Baldwin (leave aside any indication of why they got divorced in the first place, save for a few gratuitous hints that are meant to be quickly forgotten) after giggling like a schoolgirl at the nauseating crap he spouts to get her into bed, which of course leads to the 'complications' the film's title suggests when she meets Steve Martin, the 'perfect guy' you know she's going to end up with. Hard to feel any sympathy for her. I was waiting for her to ask one other character how they were, how their life was going, anything. None of that. She basically plays a 60 year old totally self-absorbed teenager, again giggling like a schoolgirl with her fleeting friends about the sex she's having with her ex in one painful scene.

Steve 'not funny any more' Martin might have been a guy who by the looks of him 15 or 20 years ago was going to age gracefully, but unfortunately he has not let that happen. His face looks like it could melt at any moment, not one wrinkle to be seen, for me taking away any credibility his character might have had. Don't let him near that baking oven, Meryl! We could have a scene akin to the classic facemelting one at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark. Actually, it might have been entertaining to see what would've happened to Steve's face had he gone too near a heat source.

Add to this a forced performance by John 'Jim' Kraszinski, I love him in The Office but here he ironically seems to be presented as a comic relief to all the 'serious' stuff that's going on, and also add to this a terribly contrived scene at a party where the oldies get 'soooo wasted' off one or two puffs of a joint, a scene which ends up falling totally flat and just gets annoying, and you have a film I really had trouble sitting through.

I hate films that give the viewer no credit whatsoever. We're just supposed to accept a lot of things when we watch certain comedies for the sake of a few laughs. This is certainly one of those. No laughs (for me anyway), bad dialogue, unrealistic characters that are impossible to like or relate to in any way, predictable plot, annoying children... doesn't get much worse than this.

Avoid at all costs.
52 out of 82 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Review: 2 thumbs up
Lwind5424 October 2009
Congratulations on a film that is truly funny and well done.

Divorce is tough; relationships after divorce are sometimes even tougher; laughing about it is key to getting on with life. Saw this movie at a post-production screening in Thousand Oaks CA on Wednesday, October 21. The welcoming crew said we were the first audience to see this movie.

Alec Baldwin (Jake) was perfectly scripted and his physique makes the movie funnier. His scenes in the fertility clinic, on Jane's (Streep) bed with a laptop; and as a 'sexpot' were rolling on the floor hilarious. Steve Martin as a serious and considerate architect was also well-casted. Even as serious as he was most of the time, we laughed at his lines and situations. Meryl Streep: what can I say? Always classy, always professional. Even in funny situations. Jake and Jane's kids were great (especially the future son-in-law as he tried not to "spill the beans" and choice of pajamas).

I'm over 50 and would be interested to hear what people under 30 think of this film. Two thumbs up!
88 out of 147 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Rich white people working through problems all the while being rich and white
Wes Lambert6 May 2010
The set-up for "It's Complicated" seemed promising - middle aged woman (Meryl Streep) who thinks she has her post divorce life figured out finds herself "the other woman" when she starts an affair with her ex husband (Alec Baldwin). Meryl Streep does all things well including comedy and Alec Baldwin is the perfect fit for a character who is full of himself and conveniently self delusional. Throw in Steve Martin and John Krasinksi (who mines comic gold each week on "The Office") and I was expecting a diverting 120 minutes. Instead this movie irritated me continuously for 2 hours. What went wrong? I am going to cut the actors some slack and lay the blame at the feet of director and writer Nancy Meyers. She tends to write movies that have a thin veneer of neurotic self-entitlement. Sometimes it works or is at least tolerable as in "The Holiday" but here she lays it on a bit thick. Streep's Jane is the type of woman who has feng shui'd her life into submission, watches "The Hills" with her daughter, and makes ice cream when she can't sleep ( funny, all I get are bags under my eyes). Her romantic dilemma is a choice between two men - an architect who lost his wife to another man on a couples bike tour of Italy and the ex who lives under the twin threat of his younger wife's fascist ovulation schedule and a demon step-child. Cliché on top of cliché that eventually eclipses the acting.

Speaking of acting. What a waste to have Jim Krasinksi in this movie. His role as Jane's future son-in-law is to wince, shrug, smile and sigh. Note to Nancy Meyers, facial expressions and body language are only the beginning of emoting and not the final product. Last note and then I will stop beating up on the movie, I promise. I don't know what Jane's three adult children are supposed to represent but they are harpy, over emotional and creepy in a Stepford sort of way. As a child of divorce I can tell you I would've ended up in therapy if anyone ever suggested snuggling in bed with my adult siblings as comfort from a divorce that happened ten years prior.
14 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Nauseating
ferdinand19328 October 2010
The scene where Jane (Streep) confesses all to her adult children who are all tucked under a bed sheet, beside each other, wide eyed, and shocked, summarizes everything that is awful with this movie. It is both immature and weird. Adults behaving like children - or adolescents - is what happens throughout this predictable and mind numbing experience, and is why it is so banal.

The terrain of divorce and romantic/sexual love could be engaging and witty, with real adult dialog and intelligence, but Streep's Jane giggles like a little girl; she reacts to the men rather than be the agent of her life, and the male characters are like archetypes from a supermarket self help guide.

There is nothing original or intelligent happening here. Instead it is replete with Baby Boomer sentimentality, incomplete emotional development, and worst of all, lacks any dramatic sparkle.
42 out of 67 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A good romantic comedy is a rarity...
jemps91811 February 2010
It's Complicated is simply enjoyable. A good romantic comedy is a rarity, so who better than rom-com specialist Nancy Meyers (The Holiday, Something's Gotta Give, What Women Want) to write and direct yet another? Jane (Meryl Streep) and Jake (Alec Baldwin) have been married for ten years and divorced for fifteen, but while attending their son's college graduation sparks fly between the old flames. But Jake's still married to the much younger Agness (Lake Bell), and Jane's architect and fellow divorceé Adam (Steve Martin) remains an interesting and sensible possibility. This puts everyone on a roller-coaster ride of what-ifs, which includes Jane and Jake's three grown kids.

It's a treat to see excellent actors delivering the laughs, especially when it looks like they're having a great time, too. In particular, John Krasinski (The Office) stands out in his supporting role as Harley, Jane and Jake's future son-in-law, who accidentally finds out about the affair before everyone else. Streep shines, as usual, while Baldwin eases into his newfound role of go-to comedy guy since his career-reviving 30 Rock success. The usually slapstick Martin surprisingly turns in a more toned down performance, which is a relief.

It's wonderful to see intelligent lead roles still being written for mature actors that doesn't exclude younger audiences. The story and characters have broad appeal; the dilemmas remain relevant regardless of age and so are the punch lines. It's Complicated is ironically comforting in its effortlessness.
34 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Good movie, worth watching.
PWNYCNY19 January 2010
From time to time Hollywood comes up with a surprise product and this movie is one of those surprises. This movie was actually good. It had an actual STORY. The movie is a comedy but has its serious moments too. Meryl Streep was great, Steve Martin was toned down in a support role, but the real star is Alex Baldwin whose presence props up this movie and transforms it into a good if not great cinematic work. As much as the director tries to make this movie a Meryl Streep vehicle, Mr. Baldwin steals the show. This has to be his best movie in years, maybe in his entire career. He is a combination of amusing, charming, and serious and whenever the movie starts dragging a "dose" of Mr. Baldwin is enough to get it back on track. What a wonderful performance by an excellent actor. Parts of the movie are hilarious, such as the bedroom scene with Ms. Streep, Mr. Baldwin and Mr. Martin (it's not what you think it is) but generally the humor tends to be at the level of chuckles instead of guffaws. Good movie, worth watching.
34 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Wonderful Romantic Comedy, Best in Years
pickleb2 January 2010
Almost a ten for me. 53 year old male who prefers romantic comedy to action-adventure. This film had a wit and a appreciate of today's woman that made the film very slice of life for me. Beautiful scenes, hilarious wit and almost slapstick. This film is not for the prudish but is by no means obscene. Just great adult fare and Meryl Streep can now do anything. This year she has been Julia Child, Mamma Mia and now the Other Woman. I'd want her back too. Bravo, Nancy, Bravo.

I have never enjoyed Alec Baldwin, but he was light and funny in this film and the pairing really worked. Steve Martin's role was purposely a little flat but he did underplay things well.

John Krasinski is a true scene-stealer. Like Streep, with just a knowing glance or a facial expression, he causes laughs and audiences will just enjoy him.

Best romantic comedy since Something's Gotta Give. Baldwin is no Nicholson, but this was a better script and Streep has no match.
45 out of 73 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Familiar story with a simple flow
Buddhika M H10 February 2010
Well for a start this a familiar story to most movie lovers I guess. Divorced couple going through hard times in their new lives, coming together because of some family get together, refreshing their relationship and so on….. But should say its not anything boring, it has some real moments and good laughs.

Well after years of separation of separation much have changed. Maybe after all they have changed into the people they always wanted each other to be ? (This too seem to be the point most similar story movies trying to capture as well) So its all about decisions, there are also other factors such as their children, new partners, careers etc.

About the story of the movie I'm not going much into detail as it might ruin the movie for you. Well talking about the acting senior actors/actress do OK. Alec Baldwin & Steve Martin do a good job. But sometimes younger group seems to go over the top with over acting. Well maybe its not that bad, maybe its just me. Also when watching the movie all characters seems to be given with strict orders of what kind of stereotype he/she is. Especially the minor characters; for example take Harley - funny man in charge of comical department of the movie, Gabby – innocent/childish daughter, Adam - geeky architect , Agnes – evil woman (which is bit of a twist really, because after all she is the legal wife of the main character, who's having the affair with the 'good' woman).

One reason I watched the movie was its said to be a good comedy, and happy to say it really is. Even with serious events, there are few laughs around. Sometimes its obvious that comical part is bit detached and added artificially to the story. But it really tickles, so Harley has done a good job.

All in all as I said it's a familiar but interestingly done story, hilarious moments, good acting from the main lot. Even though the title says 'Its Complicated' movie it self is just an ordinary. ;) So in conclusion it's a good movie to watch.
15 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
It's Stupid
Rubicx21 December 2010
Why was the crap even produced? Why would Meryl Streep even lower herself and do this? Did she need money? Not even bad TV is as bad as this movie, where the storyline is basically sex. I have to add ten lines to have my review accepted, so here it is: it's stupid, it's pointless, it's dumb, it came out of Pottery Barn and Crate and Barrel, it's talky, it has no value, no meaning, dreadful writing, cliché, worthless, silly, cutesy, blah, blah, blah. Since the movie will be quickly forgotten, with good reason, I don't even have 10 lines to write about it, because it's not even worth 10 lines. Blah, Blah, Blah, which is basically the dialogue of this movie. Am I at 10 lines yet? Yuck. Dreadful movie, despite the "stars."
27 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A flop by Nancy Meyers
Stefano Fiore17 December 2010
The first thing wrong with the movie is the title. "It's complicated" is a lousy title. Weak. Indicative of what the movie will be.

From the very first scene the movie struggles to look like SOMETHING'S GOTTA GIVE but it isn't. Everyone here is so unreal, fake and so successful! It doesn't make sense.

Another big problem is the casting. Where on Earth did Nancy Meyers get the 3 kids of Baldwin-Streep? I think I could look at their pictures for hours, go out on the streets and meet them and I wouldn't recognize them! Insignificant. The moment they are off the screen I already forgot how they look like. In the extras of the DVD of SGG Nancy Meyers praises herself for having casted Amanda Peet (the daughter of the Diane Keaton character) because "Amanda looks like a daughter". Instead in this movie the children of Baldwin-Streep look like 3 idiots and that's all. Detestable.

Is is a little hard for the audience to believe that Baldwin-Streep are having so much sex if on screen they don't even kiss each other on the cheek! Nicholson and Keaton did a great jog under that aspect in SGG. In the extra of the DVD all the actors were happy about how "great" everyone was and how much fun they had shooting the movie. I need Katherine Hepburn here: "show me a happy set and I will show you a dull movie".
16 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
It's insulting
chandra3314028 December 2009
Meryl Streep and Alec Baldwin play a long divorced couple. He is remarried to a much younger woman with a kid who will make you justify infanticide. They end up in bed together in NYC, then they continue their affair back home. In the meantime, Jane is being pursued by a nerdy architect, played by the unfailingly white-haired Steve Martin, while Jake has to put up with his wife efforts to have another baby. Everybody is white, successful, wealthy and well-mannered even in extreme circumstances. Jane owns a thriving bakery and even her employees are all white, no trace of god-forbid Hispanics, so common in California. Jane and Jake have a young son and two whiny daughters, who seem to have an idyllic relationship with their parents, no matter what. The setting is glossy, the cast amazing, the dialogue atrocious and the pace slow. Everything is so dipped in syrup it's disgusting. Nancy Meyer never again.
39 out of 66 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
It's Just Awful
cinemafrank2 June 2010
I was completely dismayed by the storyline of this movie, but at least I thought it was written or produced by some overly-gross vain and insecure Hollywood male. To learn it was written by a woman! I almost puked!

If disbelief, shock, and horror were the emotions you wanted to evoke from your audience, Nancy Meyers; then congratulations, you did your job brilliantly!

The word on the page never skips far from its author, and I shudder to think people may actually think this way.

This story lacks ethics, reason, the dream state, or a celebration of nature, to name but a few.

Nature was actually portrayed as a plastic prop, and came across quite contrived, a second thought and stand in.

Neither a comedy or tragedy, neither reality or a dream, the viewer failed to be surrounded by the mists of the dream state, those mists are what strike the viewer at the core, never really leaving them, even when the credits have rolled.

The protagonists actions felt devised rather than natural, no real motive, each scene and its characters should have been naturally occurring by the cause and effect of events, but instead felt rather forced. Reason was left out, with nothing left to fill the vacuous space left behind (such as fantasy, or that dream state mentioned previously).

Ethics, well, this was the elephant in the room. None of the characters in this movie made a strong case to either live with or without ethics, and as the plot revolves around affairs and cheating on your spouse, the choice to ignore it is most puzzling.

This movie wasn't grey, or black and white. This movie wasn't sophisticated, charming, subtle, or endearing. This wasn't the worst movie, or best movie I've ever seen. It was an addition to the mediocre landfill of not even a could've been.
10 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
shallow and self-indulgent
David Wells31 January 2010
What a stinker of a film! As lazy, sentimental and self-indulgent as its vacuous central characters, it centres on a divorcée played by Streep, tempted to hook up again with her (now remarried) ex played by Alec Baldwin. Good performances by Streep and Steve Martin as the other man in her life are still not sufficient to generate any really sympathy for these over-privileged and self-absorbed individuals. Had they done so then a conclusion that leaves their relationships unresolved would have been a frustrating cop out - as it is one is just glad to escape their company.

Imagine a weak Woody Allen, without Allen's wit or intelligence and you will have an idea what to expect. Best avoided.
10 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Sell Out Nancy!
njmollo9 January 2010
Something's Gotta Give is a classic. It's Complicated is the exact opposite.

If you want to see a forced and contrived movie, then this is it. The lives of these people are shallow, materially abundant and extravagant. They are not forced to think on any level that might appear familiar with most people on the planet. These characters are all totally unconcerned with sordid reality and so live aimlessly in a world of Hollywood fantasy.

Unfortunately, the cast bring with them the baggage of their "real" Hollywood personal lives. Alec Balwin can act quite well, especially as a villain but his 'real life' verbal abuse of his own daughter made his character in this movie impossible to take. We know he is not a nice guy, so stop trying to convince us otherwise. The question I asked was should Alec Baldwin be left alone in a room with a child or even a woman, for than matter?

Steve Martin also brings some newly upholstered baggage to the proceedings. I was never engaged or convinced by his performance. In fact it was creepy in its egregiousness. Why? ...because I kept wondering what the hell has he done to his face?

Don't actors know that their faces and the character that builds in them over time in the way of wrinkles and sags are essential, even normal and certainly nothing to be ashamed of?

The world of Meryl Streep's character is a very small one and also inward looking. Yes, she works in a trendy well-stocked restaurant of plenty but this is tagged on as an excuse for her affluent existence. In "reality" she only has her family and some girlfriends that appear briefly, so no wonder she ends up in bed with her x-husband. Even the love-interest of the architect has to enter her world to be considered as lover material.

This film is life-style aspirational propaganda particularly aimed at North America. Are we watching Streep and her sorry situation or her kitchen and wishing we had one just like it.
37 out of 65 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Sickening bourgeoise tosh
davidgduncan30 April 2010
Actually, the film started off a lot more enjoyable than I thought it would be, but sickening bourgeoise tosh it is none the less. If your parents are 65+ and are the boring middle class, never really did anything exciting kind, then they'll quite like this movie. For me, someone that's got a bit of class about them, this is tosh of the most exquisite kind.

And why so, you ask. Oh gosh, don't allow me to bore myself by discussing the extremely weak narrative of this "story". Divorcees have an affair, and it gets complicated. That's what we got from the trailer and the title, and there ain't much more to it.

So what of the acting. It has Meryl Streep, Alex Baldwin, Steve Martin and the "funny" guy from The Office (US). Funnily enough all of these actors have one thing in common, they're all over rated. And there was another star in the movie too, not quite sure if the credit should go to Colgate or McLeans but it certainly was the act of smiling. The Office guy being particularly guilty of this. I wish I could get paid millions for pulling an inane smile for a few on-screen minutes. What kind of schmucks do they take us for? Of course the other actors pail into insignificance, as does the whole film after the first 30 mins, at which point it simply becomes as unwelcome as your second bout of piles.

Good production values, awful everything else, unless you love smiles and schmaltz. And if you were hoping that any of the main actors may live up to their reputations / bank balances, they don't.
17 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I wanted to like it, but ...
brian_dines3 March 2010
I was honestly looking forward to seeing this movie. I liked the cast and the premise based on what I saw in the trailer. The idea of 50- somethings rediscovering love is a novel idea for a film.

But the film was terrible, contrived and more predictable than anything I'd seen in years. It made "You've got mail" seem like a Tarantino film. There wasn't one ounce of truth or honesty in this film. It was pure Marshmello Fluff from the start, touching every possible clique out there. Meryl Streep's character was tossed aside for the younger woman who turns out to be a b**ch after she marries Alec Baldwin's character. Meryl has a nice, tight (all white) circle of girlfriends who encourage her affair. The kids are all perfect, but are confused by the re-engagement of their divorced parents. The whole pot smoking scene was milked dry of any element of humor. How could one joint last so long and get so many people high?

Even though a film is a piece of fiction, it still must be true. The emotions, the dialog and the characters must be in some way reflect something real and honest.

A good example of that is the film my wife and I enjoyed the following night on TV -- "Gross Pointe Blank". It's also a Rom-Com, and although the plot is more preposterous, nearly every character and conversation rang more true than anything in "It's Complicated."

I left the theatre without laughing once.
11 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not so complicated, more like silly
gradyharp28 April 2010
Nancy Meyers wrote and directed this film about a strange form of adultery - a form that she condones because the adulteress is the 60ish divorced mother of three and the 'victim' is the pretty young 2nd marriage gal that the husband of the 60ish woman left her for and so that must be some kind of justice....Make sense? Well it seems so to Meyers whose long string of 'feminist movies' (Father of the Bride I & II, Something's Gotta Give, The Holiday, What Women Want, The Parent Trap, etc) writes in her script. The story here is a rather silly overlong joke about the affair between a divorced man and woman, with a family of kids thrown in for comments, and a gaggle of chatty girlfriends who make the situation seem palatable. But 'IT'S COMPLICATED' works on one level: Meryl Streep takes on yet another role that challenges her to step into a character and make her credible and as usual she is a delight to watch. She is aided by Alec Baldwin as her ex-husband/lover and Steve Martin as a wannabe boyfriend. Streep's peppery gaggle of girlfriends have most of the entertaining chatter - especially fine work from Rita Wilson, Mary Kay Place, and Nora Dunn. But in the end the plot seems to waste good talent. Nancy Meyers may be doing the Feminist Movement more harm than good.

Grady Harp