Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me (1999) Poster

Better than the first one!
Xophianic12 February 2000
Some people don't think AUSTIN POWERS: INTERNATIONAL MAN OF MYSTERY was worthy of a sequel. Some think there should be a large series of AUSTIN POWERS movies, like the infamous Bond movies. Trust me, I'm kinda sick of everyone doing impressions of Austin Powers and Dr. Evil, (and I do one fine Dr. Evil if I do say so myself, even though both are easy to impersonate), but I thought AUSTIN POWERS: THE SPY WHO SHAGGED ME was even better than the first one. So if you asked me if there should be a series of AUSTIN POWERS movies, and I wasn't so sick of all those impersonations, I might say "Yeah baby!"

Austin Powers (Mike Myers) is sent back to 1969 by Basil Exposition (Michael York) to stop Dr. Evil (Mike Myers) who has stolen Austin Powers' "mojo" and plans to build a giant laser on the movie and destroy all major cities on Earth. In the sixties, Austin Powers meets Felicity Shagwell (Heather Graham), who is just as sexy and hip as Austin is. Scott Evil (Seth Green) is still trying to work out things with his father, even though Dr. Evil has turned his attention to his clone in 1/10 size, Mini-Me (Verne Troyer). Number Two (Robert Wagner, then Rob Lowe), Frau Farbissina (Mindy Sterling) and Mustafa (Will Ferrell) all return to help Dr. Evil, in addition to Fat Bastard (Mike Myers), the disgusting, overweight, Scottish henchman.

Let's face is, Austin Powers has never been about plot. Considering that this movie is basically a spoof of OUR MAN FLINT and the JAMES BOND movies, the plot is pretty entertaining and funny. The giant laser on the moon was great, obviously spoofing MOONRAKER, in addition to many other movies of its type.

The acting in this movie is all very good. Mike Myers does a great job playing three very different characters. Heather Graham beats the crap out of Elizabeth Hurley (not literally in this movie, but how cool would that be) and is way sexier in my book. Seth Green and Mindy Sterling are great, especially when together. Will Ferrell was one of my favorite performers and characters in this movie. Robert Wagner is good, but his role is taken over by Rob Lowe after they go back in time. Lowe does an unbelievable job and is almost exactly like Wagner was as the character. Michael York does a fairly good job too. There are some great cameos by names like Clint Howard, Tim Robbins, Rebecca Romijn-Stamos, Kristen Johnston and Jerry Springer.

Unlike in AUSTIN POWERS: INTERNATIONAL MAN OF MYSTERY, there is great character development. This first AUSTIN POWERS movie did a good job laying a foundation for these characters, but this movie really set them off. Dr. Evil stole the show, which is great because he is obviously the best character. Austin Powers, Number Two and Basil are about the same as in the first one. Felicity is way more interesting and sexier than Hurley was. Frau is much more interesting in this movie, as is Scott who is still saying "Why don't you just kill them?" to his father. Mustafa, who you might not even remember from the first one, is hilarious in this movie. Mini-Me was fun, but in the next AUSTIN POWERS movie, it shouldn't revolve around him as much. Fat Bastard is my least favorite character and I hope he isn't in the next AUSTIN POWERS movie.

Go see this one, you won't regret it. It sure won't win any Oscars, but it's one of the funniest movies of the year. Turn your brain off and enjoy it!
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Mr. Mojo rising
mic check11 May 2000
Austin Powers is one of those movies that has become MORE popular as time wears on. Austin's slang has worked its way into the lexicon and everything from the redhot video to the Austin Powers Penis Enlarger is on sale and raking in meeeeeelions. When news of a sequel hit the streets, fans freaked. It's safe to say that AP2 is rivaled only by The Phantom Menace as 1999's must see.

The wait is over.

The second-most anticipated movie of 1999 finally comes to theaters. We're ecstatic to report that AP is a friggin' laugh riot, as Myers and crew have strung together another brilliant collection of one-liners and over the top, sometimes horribly disgusting, sight gags. The follow-up to 1997's video hit has Austin heading back to the 60s to track down his mojo, stolen by one of Dr. Evil's comically evil hapless henchmen. What's mojo? A multi-colored, stringy looking mess that makes Austin irresistible to the ladies. But the plot isn't so important. This is the Austin you know and love, only this time he's even more raw and hardcore.

It's clear that Myers was given a much larger budget to bring his vision to the screen after the runaway success of Austin Powers on video. The sets in Spy are much more vibrant and huge, the effects (yes, effects) are top-notch, and the pacing is completely nonstop. I had a perma-grin stuck on my face through the whole thing and will need to see it again just because the audience drowned out some lines with laughter.

Here Kitty Kitty Kitty Spy picks up with Austin taking a trip in a time machine back to the smashing 60s where, as we all know, he is a sexual dynamo. The time travel bits can get confusing, but as Basil Exposition of British Intelligence says, "Just sit back and enjoy yourself." Back in the 60s, Austin quickly draws the attention of his nemesis Dr. Evil. The hilarity begins as a patchwork parade of moronic henchmen attempt to wipe out Austin.

Still, the best reason to shell out your cash is that AP2 is clearly Dr. Evil's movie. If he's your favorite, you're in luck. Most important, we see him get some.

The film does lean a bit too heavily on gags from the first flick and some of the "Yeah, baby" schtick grows old fast. (When your Mammy starts saying "Yeah, baby," it's clearly tired, right?) Still, fans of the original will feel right at home with the budget destructo devices, the horrid teeth, and the clumsy bumblings of Austin himself. In a summer full of high concepts and big budget, AP2 is just the ticket.
27 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
More inevitable cheekiness from Myers
S.R. Dipaling21 April 2007
The follow-up to 1997's Austin Powers:International Man of Mystery was probably not a certainty form the get-go:if I recall correctly,the first Austin Powers was NOT the smashing success of a box-office film that many involved initially imagined,and had it not been for a strong reaction from video and DVD renters,the franchise may've stopped at one. Since I happened to enjoy the first one(saw it on video BTW),I can honestly say that while the sequels seemed to have depreciating value,I'm still glad that Myers and company went ahead with the follow-ups.

Now acclimated to the '90s,Austin(Myers,who else?)is about to settle into wedded bliss when he's attacked in his honeymoon suite by a legion of Fembots,given marching orders by a refugeed Dr.Evil(Myers,see previous ref). It seems that Evil's back trying to destroy the free world,this time with the aid of a time machine of his own making. Of course,the British secret service ALSO has a time machine(of course),and Austin races through time to stop Evil's plans,this time with the help of one Felicity Shagwell(Heather Graham,beautiful,sexy,game,and yet somehow out of her element here),an American NOC agent from the year 1969.

A whole series,moving almost in waves,of sight-gags,verbal plays and yet more homages to Bond and Bond-type movies of the '60s,basically keeps the continuity of the original going seamlessly. Much of the cast from the last movie-- particularly Robert Wagner as the chief Hench,Seth Green as sullen son Scott Evil,Mindy Sterling as Frau FArbissima,Michael York as Basil Exposition and Will Ferrell as Mustafa the Assassin(who must be asked the same question THREE times in order to get information. One of my favorite gags from the movie)--are back,supplemented by Rob Lowe as the younger Number Two,Verne Troyer as Evil's identical clone,one-tenth his size and Myers again as Fat Bastard,a Scotish assassin with a violent temper who weighs a metric ton(I think I'm paraphrasing there),among others. Cameos by(among others) Burt Bacharach(as from the previous film)and Elvis Costello are added to give the film it's small slice of romanticism. Jay Roach returns to direct this one,and he,as usual,is near transparent in allowing Myers(not only star and co-producer but also screenwriter)to pretty much take this film as high,low,far,close,loud,soft and whatever as he fancies. While the original's flavor seems to be getting steadily diluted by the "franchise effect" of sequels(in other words,the effect that kind of makes a movie more of a "product" than a piece of entertainment),it still has the same sass,cheeky humor and fun to keep it quite enjoyable.
11 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Slightly better than the first
MinorityReporter24 September 2005
I believe that the general consensus is that the first Austin Powers movie is the best of the bunch. I happen to disagree (as you can probably tell from my one-line-summary). I feel that the second film actually improves on the first film by adding a few new characters and generally cutting loose on the humor making it even more bizarre and funny than in the first film. I don't expect people to agree but at least hear me out as to why I think the second film is better.

As I said a few new characters have been added to the roster and we get to see some older characters in new and exiting ways. The best addition to the character rooster is Mini-Me, Doctor Evil's clone, played brilliantly by Verne Troyer. Not only is he hilariously funny but he also brings out a different side to Doctor Evil which I found to be extremely funny. On a related note I found Doctor Evil to be much more interesting as a character in the second film than in the first. Probably because the Austin character had to be established in the first film. Second there is the addition of Fat Bastard, played by Myers himself. A lot of people have responded negatively to Fat Bastard but I found him quite funny in a very weird way. Mike Myers definitely took a step up the weird ladder when he came up with him. Elizabeth Hurley is written out of the script very early in the film and instead Heather Graham is introduced as Felicity Shagwell. Heather Graham is not as strong as Hurley was as Austin's love interest but she remains nice as eye-candy and what can you expect more than that. Seth Green pretty much reprises his role from the first film. Nothing much to come after there. The supporting cast is pretty much the same as in the first film except this time we get to see Number Two in a young version played by Rob Lowe who does an uncanny imitation of Robert Wagner. Mindy Sterling and Michael York returns in their respective parts as well. There are also quite a few cameos in the film. Including Tim Robbins, Woody Harrelson, Rebecca Romijn-Stamos and many more.

The film still spoofs Bond obviously and the title in itself is of course a reference to The Spy Who Loved Me and once again I find that no-one does it better than Myers. After the success of the first I think they gave Myers free reigns because a lot of the stuff in this film is pretty far out. An example could be the hilarious fight between Austin and Mini-Me and an equally funny scene in a tent. I won't reveal any more than that. Another thing is that the overall effects seem much more polished this time around which is probably also caused by the success of the previous film.

The story is pretty much non-existent which I found to be an improvement over the previous film which actually attempted to incorporate a story rather than just be all out fun.

All in all I think it is a matter of taste. Either you prefer the first or you prefer the second but you should definitely give this film a try just for the heck of it.

All in all

25 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
An inferior sequel, more successful, but lacking the dry wit of its predecessor.
Silverzero7 February 2003
POSSIBLE SPOILERS

The Spy Who Shagged Me is a muchly overrated and over-hyped sequel. International Man of Mystery came straight out of the blue. It was a lone star that few people had heard of. But it was stunningly original, had sophisticated humour and ample humour, always kept in good taste, and had a brilliant cast. The Spy Who Shagged Me was a lot more commercially advertised and hyped about.

OK I'll admit, the first time I saw this film I thought it was very funny, but it's only after watching it two or three times that you see all the flaws. The acting was OK, but Heather Graham cannot act. Her performance didn't seem very convincing and she wasn't near as good as Liz Hurley was in the first one. Those characters who bloomed in the first one, (Scott Evil, Number 2 etc.) are thrown into the background hear and don't get many stand-alone scenes. The film is simply overrun with cameos.

In particular, I hated the way they totally disregarded some of the scenes in IMOM. When they killed off Vanessa at the start and had Basil sat that he knew she was a fembot all along. What was the point of that? They killed off Number 2 in the first one, and now they bring him back with no explanation whatsoever. This is supposed to be a spy-spoof, I don't think any of the characters even hold a gun in the film. It just goes on a trail, further and further away from the point.

The new characters are very unwelcome. The whole Mini-Me `make fun of my size' joke gets old very quickly. Fat Bastard is just a lame excuse for gross-out humour. In total there's about two or three good jokes. The rest are either tasteless or rehashed from IMOM.

If this were the first movie of the series then I'd probably be easier on it. But the series started on a note of dry wit and then plummeted down to a level of gross out humour. So I say, only watch this film if you haven't seen its predecessor, because The Spy Who Shagged Me is one ultimate disappointment.
9 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Yeah, Baby!!! This is one of the funniest friggin' movies of all time
Kristine28 July 2002
I know it sounds silly, but I just think this is one of the funniest movies I had ever seen. Maybe I was just in a good mood or something, but I was a little surprised by the rating of just 6.5 because I knew a lot of people who enjoyed the movie as well as I did.

We have Austin Powers and he's back and funnier and nakeder than ever! Despite some recycled jokes, they still get a laugh when he's walking through the hotel butt naked and only certain objects cover him. When Dr. Evil escapes the giant dummy in space and heads back to Earth, Austin alone must go on his mission alone since we find out Venessa was a fembot. We have a new addition to the family with a miniature replica that is 1/8 the size of Dr. Evil he calls "Mini Me". Mini Me is just so cute and he wants to kill Scott. Scott and Mini Me just steal the movie from this point on. Dr.Evil decides to go back into the 60's and take over the world by aiming a "lazer" at the moon.

Austin must now go back in time back to the 60's and finds his sexy assistant, Felicity played by a very beautiful but pretty bad actress Heather Grahm. Together they must find and fight Dr. Evil before he makes over a trillion... oops! I mean a billion dollars! There is another addition of a villain, Fat Bastard, despite most of his gross jokes, you except him into the Austin family.

Like I said, there are recycled jokes, but that doesn't keep you from laughing and having a good time. Just let go and learn to have fun with the movie. Come on, you have got to admit that #2's death was just great and so funny! Let's get the rating up, it deserves better than a 6.5! I think Austin fans will enjoy this shagadelic movie!

33 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Recycles old humor, but still fun...
Cephyran4 October 2004
The Spy who Shagged Me - not a title you'd expect to garner much respect, but this movie does okay. With Austin Powers 2 we see the arrival of such characters as Mini-Me and Fat Bastard, who inevitably help steer the sequel way from completely recycling every joke used in the first film. However, there is still that overlap, so a lot of the humor comes off a bit stale and tacky. There is virtually no end to the plot holes, inconsistencies, and various irregularities, but that is often a big part of the humor of the Austin Powers movies - making direct fun of the spy genre, as well as themselves.

And, on a personal note, Heather Graham is by far more attractive than Liz Hurley, and she flaunts it with great respect for us, the juvenile minded male audience. Overall, I'd consider this sequel about on par with the original, not in any specific details, but in all-around entertainment value.
27 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me
Coxer9915 June 1999
Hilarious return to the international man of mystery with this non stop laugh ride of a film with Myers doing it again as Austin, Dr. Evil and a new character named Fat Bastard. There are many funny moments in the film especially the Scott/Dr. Evil episode of Jerry Springer and the emergence of Mini-Me, perfectly played by Verne Troyer. The laughs are constant. You'll laugh so hard, you'll have a headache when you leave the theater.
12 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Will Film Buffs Like This ? ...
Theo Robertson23 May 2004
... Yeah baby yeah

I didn't watch the original Austin Powers INTERNATIONAL MAN OF MYSTERY down to the fact that there's been more than enough Bond spoofs made over the years like those movies in the 1980s that starred Roger Moore . What ? they were actually official Bond movies ! Oh dear , I honestly thought they were spoofs and how do you spoof a spoof ? CASINO ROYALE tried it and failed while those movies that featured THE MAN FROM UNCLE are so dated they're almost unwatchable and lets not forget those awful Matt Helm movies . Come to think of it a comedy like THE PARTY that pokes fun at 1960s youth counter culture also feel very dated a surrogate Bond figure transported from the 1960s doesn't hold much appeal to me baby

However I was very surprised as to how much I enjoyed THE SPY WHO SHAGGED ME down to the fact it's far more sophisticated than I expected . There's umpteen references to other TV shows and movies that IMDb die hards can enjoy . There's an edition of THE JERRY SPRINGER SHOW ( Complete with bouncers Todd and Steve ) which could have easily have been a proper edition than a send up , there's a set stolen from crap 60s series THE TIME TUNNEL , a scene stolen from THE ISLAND OF DOCTOR MOREAU , a fight scene very reminiscent of the dog attack from THERE'S SOMETHING ABOUT MARY . I could go on listing all the movie and TV connections but I won't bother except to say that the plot of this movie is merged with the plots of YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE and MOONRAKER

The aforementioned elements will certainly appeal to the film buffs while the bad taste jokes will appeal to the teenage market . I wasn't all that taken with the character of Fat Bastard or the fart jokes or the scene with " This coffee tastes like sh*t " but it's refreshing to see a movie comedy that does try to mix post modernist sophistication with gross out humour , JAY AND SILENT BOB STRIKE BACK probably tried this but totally failed . Also naming characters with double entrede names like Felicity Shagwell and Robin Spitz Swallows might be crass but film fans will remember the Bond movies also had similarly named characters like Miss Goodthighs ( " So I can see " ) and Plenty O Toole ( " Of course you do " ) so I guess this is also an amalgamation between schoolboy humour and sophistication

THE SPY WHO SHAGGED ME is hardly Oscar material but is very entertaining
16 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Man With The Golden Pun
Bill Slocum20 October 2007
The first Austin Powers movie was a shot-in-the-dark comedy Michael Myers pretty much made for himself and a few friends, little imagining the fuss it would spawn. This time, Myers and his alter egos set out to build a middle-brow entertainment franchise. At least they got the money part right.

After spending the first movie adjusting to life in the 1990s, superspy Austin Powers (Myers) is pulled back into his native 1960s to save his mojo from the evil Dr. Evil (Myers), who has stolen it with the help of traitorous Scot Fat Bastard (Myers). Will Austin save his mojo, and not incidentally, the world?

While not as satisfying or clever as the first Powers film, "Spy Who Shagged Me" does make you laugh, especially the first time you see it. Fat Bastard is a terrific new addition to the Powers tribe, a nasty self-worshipping slob who wears a metric ton and has an appetite that is boundless, morally as well as physically.

"Listen up, Sonny Jim, I ate a baby!" FB declares. "Baby: The other, other white meat!"

Also great is Verne Troyer as Dr. Evil's stunted replicant, Mini-Me. Troyer's tiny stature makes for a good initial guilty laugh, but Troyer throws himself into the role with the same kind of abandon and hidden talent Myers employed in the first film. Mini-Me's confrontations with Dr. Evil's biological son Scott (Seth Green) is an entertaining subplot throughout.

Myers himself is a bit of a mix. As Fat Bastard, he is about as funny as he's ever been on screen. As Austin and Dr. Evil, he's a little too much too often. Dr. Evil seems to be after laughs from the MTV Music Awards crowd, mocking rap videos and repeating old gags like telling Scott to be quiet (this time with the catch phrase "Zip it" rather than "Shh...") Austin is a grab bag of catch phrases, interspersed with the occasional double entendre, like when his latest lady, Felicity Shagwell (Heather Graham), notices he activates his apartment lights by clapping his hands.

"When did you get the clapper?" she asks.

"November, 1964, Dutch East Indies, shore leave," he replies.

Graham is beautiful to look at but a bit of a damp noodle otherwise, which goes for much of "The Spy Who Shagged Me." Sure, you have the clever set design, costumes, and music that the original "Austin Powers" had in spades, but the heart of the enterprise is missing here. Austin throws off one after another of his merchandise-ready puns, and it's hard not to enjoy it in fitful bursts. But it doesn't linger like the first film.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Myers tries too hard
mickey dripping15 February 2000
The concept was ok but hardly original. The acting was plastic. But the real spoiler was that there was only one joke and a grubby one at that. This is a film for fourteen year olds who have been let out on their own for the first time. Don't dare to watch it with your kids.
13 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Funny But Nasty 'R-Rated' Look At The Stupid '60s
ccthemovieman-127 February 2006
I get a perverse kick out of the other deliberately-stupid humor of these "Austin Powers" movies. They are extremely bright and colorful - photography- wise, but full of dark comedy moments as well as light-hearted slapstick. Best of all, they poke fun at the ludicrous 1960s lifestyle, particularly in England. Many people may think they glorifying the hedonism of the period, and maybe that's the case, but find it more of a satire and see it that way.

What I don't like, however, is the rating of this film and the others as PG-13. How typical of sick Hollywood, pandering these and the other Powers movies to the teen crowd. They are filled with nothing but sex, sex, and more sex. Even the term "shag," is British for "f--k." I mean, they don't even try to be subtle anymore. Rate it R, stick to it, and let the adults have fun with all the innuendos, puns, cleavage, penis jokes, and general pagan lifestyles of the 1960s.

Mike Myers does a good job playing several over-the-top roles. Sometimes he's better off saying nothing, just opening up his mouth with that stupid grin and horrible teeth. That usually gets a laugh. The other two Powers were better because this was too mean-edged and too profane.

I would imagine that Myers and the Austin Powers films in general were either loved or hated by whomever is viewing it. I get a lot of humor out of these because I don't take them seriously and look at it more as making fun of the moronic attitudes of the late '60s more than anything else. Great fun....for adults.
17 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
uggghhhh.... so how is this funny? It's depressing!
Michael A. Martinez11 January 2000
If I had merely 1/600th of the monstrous advertising budget of this film, I think even I could have made a better movie.

Relentlessly annoying, badly written, unfunny movie stars Michael Myers (not the Halloween one) basically making an ass of himself the way he does best. There are a total of two funny moments in this film (one a lengthy reprisal of the Jerry Springer show, though overdone; and another involving a guard idiotically jumping into a pool of magma). Other than that, the humor is moronic, repetitive, and obnoxious. Many of the Myers's monologues seem as though he is coming up with his dialog on the spot, particularly in the case of fat bastard. It's mind-boggling how even Will Farrel's cameos wasn't even funny. Is this what cinematic entertainment is coming to? Had it the micro-budget the script deserved, this film would have been forgotten long ago.

Of course this movie made a lot of money, even though it was directed with all the stylistic panache' of Ed Wood and Bruno Mattei, though far less humorous than any of their efforts.

One more thing - what was Michael York doing in this movie? I felt sorry for such a great actor being reduced to such a minimal cameo, though Charles Napier was just as much a victim in this film. One can see in them the same embarrassment that Richard Harris felt as he "acted" in Tarzan The Ape Man, which was twice the film this is.
7 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Waste of time
patterrain2228 June 2005
This movie is devoid of value. Just a lot of disgusting, vile scenes in a deplorable attempt at being funny. The "humor" is sickening. Everyone, except the people who profited, would be better off had this movie not been made.

If this is the best director Jay Roach can do then he needs to finds himself another occupation.

I bought the DVD because Heather Graham is in the movie. But her acting talents are wasted. I'm going to dump this movie as fast as I can find a buyer. It's not worth buying, renting, owning or watching.

A waste of Mike Myers talents too. Any of Heather Graham's other movies will provide more entertainment than this foul piece of film making.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
mostly good, but one scene was unnecessary
Lee Eisenberg25 May 2006
"Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me" was mostly really funny - with Austin continuing his face-off with Dr. Evil - but the stool sample scene was unnecessary. Still, the rest of the movie was a hoot, especially all the slang names for the spaceship. Some of the things in these movies, I wonder how they're able to come up with, especially some of Mini-Me's gags. All in all, it's a movie that you're sure to love, particularly with the Jerry Springer scene and all the associations with world events.

Fat Bastard. What a name! And of course, the character in the next movie had an even wackier name.
10 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Austin Powers: The Sequel that Gagged Me
bhicks5623 November 1999
AUSTIN POWERS: The Sequel that Gagged Me

Mike Myers isn't as funny as he would like to think he is. Sure, I liked the first Wayne's World movie, but after a second viewing I found the only two times I laughed were at Dana Carvey as Garth.

The first Austin Powers was a comedic improvement, giving us a close enough funny send-up of British spy movies (not Bond exactly) of the 60s. He even made the 60s hip again! Sort of.

But while that was clever (sort of), he takes all the jokes and puts them in this rehash sequel. He tries to add new things to "laugh" at but can only come up with the snore-causing joke of Fat Bastard (using his old SO I MARRIED AN AXE MURDERER Scottish accent, slightly better than his English one) and Mini-Me, the best part of the whole movie. But Mini-Me is like the personification of one joke. He's a sight gag.

Director Jay Roach takes too much advice from Myers and keeps on-and-on-going jokes in his movie that make you want to strangle somone (preferably Will Ferrel in a tedious skit that lasts longer and grows more stale than his burning-body bit in the first one). The jokes try to challenge SOUTH PARK and the Farrelley Bros. in grossing out, but it misses what the other two don't. Brains. Wit. And ultimately laughs. I'm sure some of the kiddies will enjoy this dreck, but they also enjoy ERNEST GOES TO CAMP, for God's sake. And hardcore fans will probably dismiss the whole thing as fun just to have the unneccessary franchise around.

I dont even want to mention poor Heather Graham (who hasn't really acted since SWINGERS, TWO GUYS & A GIRL and her breakthrough BOOGIE NIGHTS) wasting her time in the middle of this mess. She plays a bimbo blond, whose only interest is, apparently, to have sex with god-awful ugly men. Her IQ is right at the level with the rest of the movie. It's a shame too, because at least the first one had Elizabeth Hurley (who gets snubbed here) pointing out how sexist and dated that is in the 90s. Apparently the cliche is back in effect again. They might as well have evil Russians and dim-witted Chinese characters here also.

The first one was at least a hit-and-miss, but this thing, whatever you want to call it, is a miss-and-miss, unless, of course, the target is its foot.
8 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
It's shagadelic baby
SRVHS17 September 1999
This is one great movie. To me, to make a good comedy movie you need to make it very funny, and have a cast of lovable zany characters. If you have all that then you got a great comedic movie on your hands.

A main thing you need is slapstick humor. In a scene from the movie Austin and his trusty sidekick Felicity Shagwell are in a tent being watched by Dr. Evil's guards. Austen is down on his hands and knees doing exercises while Felicity is checking their inventory. Since there is a light in the tent it sends their shadows to the outside of the tent where it looks to Dr. Evil's guards that Felicity is reaching in and taking things out of Austin's derriere. The funniest part is when accidently sets of a smoke bomb (if you understand what they were trying to show). Meanwhile, any scene with Fat B@#$%&d is a laugh riot. Especially the scene where he explains that babies are the other other white meat.

Another good aspect to a great comedy is a cast of crazy characters. Mike Meyers is great as the swingin' Austin Powers, The maniacal Dr. Evil, and as Fat B@#$%&d the one metric ton Scotsman. Other great characters in the movie include the pint-sized maniacal Mini-Me Dr. Evil's 1/8 sized clone, and Scott Evil the punk son of Dr. Evil. They all are incredibly cartoonish players who are great when they interact with each other.

From this Frickin' rotating chair that I sit in I can definatly approve of this movie. They have fantastically funny jokes that leave you rolling in the aisles. Along with side-splitting off-the-wall characters. This movie has everything you could ever ask for. It's sp funny that you will want to see it as many times as you probobly saw Titanic.

by, A.J SRHigh
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Complete 180 Turn From the Original
duke3322 October 2001
I thought the first Austin Powers was one of the funniest movies i have seen in ages. An intelligent satire of the whole James Bond motif, with several take-offs that were direct pot shots at the bond movies.

But, when the sequel came out, I just had a nagging feeling that there was no way it could be half as good as the original. And, boy oh boy, did they really miss the mark on this one.

My first feeling when watching this movie was that Mike Myers had a bunch of jokes in his head, and he wrote them down. Then, they tried to tie them together with a loosely knit storyline. The result is that most of the jokes are not funny, and the story seems to wander quite a bit. Also, all sense of james bond satire is gone, save for a few scenes at the end.

Overall, i was very disappointed in this one. I sincerely doubt i'll shell out the money to see AP3 when it comes out, after this debacle.
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Same tired old jokes recycled
Kneumsi17 January 2001
Did you like the first Austin Powers movie with it's rip off belaboured jokes and simplistic humour? Did you? Do you want a complete rehash of the first movie lacking any originality and recycling the same tired old jokes for a second go-round? If so, then this is the movie for you! Although your time might be better spent studying for your GED or something, many Genetic Defectives and complete idiots who don't recognise a beaten dead horse when they see it have flocked to this horrible movie, and have laughed because they felt they were supposed to. Be a part of the many faceless Austin Powers imitators out there, and say goodbye to the opposite sex. You are pitied!
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A good film for the study of bad film making.
Jamie Clay3 January 2000
First of, I did enjoy the first AP film, so it's not like this didn't have the potential to entertain me. When this film was in the theaters, I was warned by a friend as to how bad it was and for that reason I waited until the video release to see the film. I'm soooo glad I did.

Instead of getting a continuance of the whimsical original film (Like the Wayne's World Series), out dumped a sad display of bloated, poorly edited and tired adolescent humor. The original film only had a couple of gags that ran too long (like the evil laughing scene) but in this visit to the world of AP, almost EVERY gag goes on for too long and dips way too DEEP into the toilet to try and be funny.

There were no genuine surprises of creativity in this film. Almost every joke is predictable and flogged to death. (read that they might have been improved with more aggressive editing) The only moment the movie produced a good laugh for me was when they did the cut to: sequence where various people are spotting Dr. Evil's rocket in the sky. (but even that was just a old joke dusted off, but done well) Of course, to stay true to form of beating a dead horse, they had to DO IT AGAIN at the end of the film. (sigh)

One of the few good moments of the film are the few where Rob Lowe is doing his Robert Wagner impersonation, but that is hardly reason enough to view this film.

If you want a reason to watch this film, consider it a good lesson in bad editing, comedy timing and over merchandising. The blatant product placement and plugs may have been a poke at the Bond films but it smelled more like the real thing than parody.

I would ONLY suggest you watch this AP entry if you like to study bad films (like I do).

-survivor.

ps: It scares me to think of the box office this film did, only because it will no doubt inspire others to produce more crap like this. IF they do a sequel, we can only hope it will be more like the original film.
Well Below Average
gcs-226 July 1999
A movie not worth seeing. Truly a waste of scarce resources. A sad commentary on the current state of the cinéma, and, perhaps more so, on its patrons.

The character known as "Fat Bastard", is a disgusting character who serves no plot function other than to remind us that it was we who chose to see this film, and for that choice we should be punished.
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Even worse and more obvious than the first
Wayner504 June 2006
This is even more stupid, filthy and disgusting than the first Austin Powers movie. Michael York would be better off working the midnight shift at the 7-11, selling pencils on the corner or holding a "Will work for food" sign, it's more dignified than trying to inject any talent or class into this cesspool of a movie. Mike Myers, please use your considerable talent in something other than this crap. You've been great in "Wayne's World" and "Shrek". Mike will do anything for a laugh, whether he gets one or not, and here he gets none. The brainless, obvious, dirty and disgusting puns are matched only by the scene in which Powers drinks liquid sewage. That pretty much describes the whole sorry mess. How did this excrement make money? It gets one star, but should really get zero.
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
If this trash is funny then so is a severe dose of dysentery.
KEITH-LANCASTER25 June 2002
If you think this is funny then you will relish the idea of being told that you have been diagnosed with decomposing legs. This jerk Myers is possibly (How about Martin Short) the lousiest "comedian" I have ever seen. Last night I watched one of those classy British comedies To The Manor Born. Tonight I attempted to view this garbage. I could`nt believe that there are people who think this is funny, I`ll bet their craniums are full of air. ABSOLUTE TRASH. Maybe his stint on Saturday Night Live contributed to his excursion into the realms of idiocy.
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Getting too old for potty humor.
Bill N13 July 1999
I have finally reached middle age. I went to Austin Powers 2 with high hopes. (I did not see the first movie, but loved the commercials, etc.).

The sex jokes in this flick (OK, I realize now that IS the movie) were in such bad taste I couldn't stand it and walked out 10 minutes before the end. This is the very first time I have ever done this. The potty humor and sexual innuendoes did not strike me as funny.

I have enjoyed other "dumb" comedies ("Dumb and Dumber" come to mind) but the endless sexual jokes got old in a hurry. How anyone could get a laugh at someone drinking feces is beyond me.

I also could not believe this movie was rated PG-13. There is no way I would let my 12 to 14 year old see this movie. The scene in the tent was the last straw for me.

I usually don't take the time to comment, but I had to. I have nothing against Mike Myers. I enjoyed him even before SNL, but I certainly am NOT looking forward to the third installment.

I know I should have gone to Star Wars for the second time. Oh well....
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Silly movie for the indiscriminating viewer
Dale-5029 June 1999
This low budget film seems excessively foolish and apparently geared to the younger or teen generation. Those who enjoy this movie are obviously very easy to entertain.