Reviews

2,268 Reviews
The Hunter Becomes the Hunted
5 January 2020
This film essentially begins where its predecessor left off with the renowned assassin "John Wick" (Keanu Reeves) being hunted by every hit-man and bounty hunter in the world who are eager to collect a $14 million reward put out for his violating the sacred principle of killing someone at a Continental hotel. Additionally, the fact that this person was a high-ranking member of an elite council known as the High Table also adds to his predicament. In any case, alone and heavily out-manned and out-gunned, John Wick realizes that instead of being the hunter he has become the hunted and that in order to survive he will have to defy the heavy odds and kill everyone that comes against him-and that number is staggering. Now rather than reveal any more I will just say that this was an entertaining movie for the most part but-unlike the two films before it-it lacked both character development and an in-depth and realistic plot. Likewise, I thought Halle Berry (as "Sofia") was badly miscast as well. Even so, while I don't believe this film was nearly as good as its predecessors, I thought it was still worth watching and for that reason I have rated it accordingly. Slightly above average.
Baby Driver (2017)
A Car Thief Struggling to Pay Off a Debt
4 January 2020
"Doc" (Kevin Spacey) is an unscrupulous criminal with an appetite for large sums of money which he satisfies by crafting elaborate robberies and then assembling a team to carry out his schemes. So when a skilled car thief by the name of "Baby" (Ansel Elgort) steals his car containing a bag full of stolen loot, Doc is not one to simply let it slide. To that extent, Doc demands that Baby reimburse him by becoming his getaway driver on a set number of future bank heists to make up for his lost revenue. Left with few other satisfactory options, Baby agrees and anxiously awaits the day his debt will finally be paid in full. Unfortunately, in his greed Doc has become too reliant upon Baby and doesn't want to let him go so easily. Now rather than reveal any more I will just say that this was a decent action film which consisted of solid acting and a pretty good cast. It does, however, lose some momentum toward the end but even so I enjoyed this movie for the most part and for that reason I have rated it accordingly. Slightly above average.
A Good Film for Its Time
3 January 2020
This film essentially begins on the island of Martinique just after the Germans occupied France with a deep sea fisherman by the name of "Harry Morgan" (Humphrey Bogart) taking a tourist known simply as "Johnson" out in his boat to catch swordfish in the Caribbean. Accompanying him is an old friend named "Eddie" (Walter Brennan) who suffers from alcoholism but is intensely loyal to Harry in spite of it all. Since America is not currently at war Harry prefers to stay clear of the local politics in order to concentrate on his business. Unfortunately, when Johnson is accidentally killed in a gun battle between the Gestapo and the French Resistance, Harry soon finds it increasingly more difficult to remain neutral-especially since he has now become suspected of working for the Free French and is harassed as a result. Now rather than reveal any more I will just say that this was a good film for its time which benefited from the acting performances of Humphrey Bogart and to a lesser extent that of Walter Brennan and Lauren Bacall (as "Marie Browning"). Having said that, however, although this film doesn't quite compare to some of Humphrey Bogart's better efforts, it is still decent enough in its own right and for that reason I have rated it accordingly. Above Average.
A Decent Film but Rather Unrealistic
10 December 2019
While on their way to Washington D.C. to receive a medal for their bravery in combat one of the soldiers by the name of "Sergeant Johnny Drake" (William Prince) decides to get off of the train taking them there and desert. Puzzled about this his colleague "Captain Rip Murdock" (Humphrey Bogart) decides to follow up on this and goes to Sergeant Drake's hometown down south to find out more. Unfortunately, once he gets there he discovers that his buddy has been killed and this from that point on he becomes determined to find the people who did this and bring them to justice. What he doesn't count on, however, is falling in love with the same woman Sergeant Drake left the Army to find. Now rather than reveal any more I will just say that this was an interesting film which featured good acting from both Humphrey Bogart and Lizbeth Scott (as "Dusty Chandler"). That said, however, it wasn't very realistic and for that reason I have to rate it a bit lower than I normally would. Average.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If at First You Don't Succeed...
25 November 2019
This film essentially begins with a young woman giving birth to a child in a makeshift prison where she has been held against her will. As it so happens, the woman is none other than "Jamie Lloyd" (J. C. Brandy) who was kidnapped at the end of the preceding film and the baby she is delivering has been fathered by "Michael Myers" (played by George P. Wilbur) and soon to be sacrificed by a Druid cult who has kept Jamie alive for 6 years for that specific purpose. But before their plans can be realized Jamie manages to escape with her newborn son and flees in a pickup truck in the direction of Haddonfeld, Illinois with Michael and his Druid followers right behind. Now rather than reveal any more I will just say that this particular installment of the Halloween franchise turned out to be somewhat confusing due in part to poor direction and also the fact that an alternate version was released after the first one tested poorly before a selected audience. So some scenes were deleted in favor of others which subsequently changed certain parts of the overall story-to include the ending. Yet as bewildering as much of this is-while neither of the two versions were terribly bad-both could have used a bit more suspense and for that reason I have rated them equally. Slightly below average.
Hook (1991)
Rekindling the Innocence of Youth
24 November 2019
Orphaned as a young child "Peter Banning" (Robin Williams) is adopted and grows up to become a stressed out corporate lawyer who eventually completely forgets his childhood. Not only that, but because of the demands placed upon him he also neglects his own two children in the process. Then one night in London while visiting his wife's grandmother "Wendy Darling" (Maggie Smith) his two children are kidnapped by a mysterious person who calls himself "Captain Hook" (Dustin Hoffman) and leaves behind a written note telling Peter to come and get them-or else. Not long after that a pixie named "Tinkerbell" (Julia Roberts) appears and not only tells him that he is actually Peter Pan but subsequently takes him to Neverland to bring back his lost youth and rescue his two children in the process. But before any of this can happen he has to come to grip with the facts and only his imagination can bring back his memories in order to save his children. Now rather than reveal any more I will just say that this was a cute fantasy movie which can be enjoyed by the entire family. Admittedly, there are some rather slow scenes here and there which drags things down a bit but overall it was still a good film for the most part. I especially liked the performance of Dustin Hoffman and Raushan Hammond who enlivened each scene they were in. That being said, even though it had it's flaws and its detractors, I still found it to be entertaining in its own right and for that reason I have rated it accordingly. Slightly above average.
When a Modern Young Woman Meets a Traditional Young Man
23 November 2019
This film begins with a modern-but very spoiled and arrogant-young woman named "Cheon Yeong-soo" (Jung ah-Park) who lives in Seoul and because her father is quite rich thinks she can do whatever she wants. She is also quite beautiful and this makes her extremely popular as well. Then one day a young man by the name of "Lee Jeong-do" (Jin woo-Park) accidently picks up her cell phone by mistake and thinking that he did so simply to ingratiate himself with her, decides to humiliate him and teach him a lesson. Yet, even though she tries every trick she knows to get him to fall in love with her, nothing seems to work. Not only that, but she soon becomes quite attracted to him instead. But what she doesn't know is that Jeong-do comes from a very influential and traditional family who live quite a distance from Seoul and upon finally meeting them is she totally unprepared for what happens next. Now rather than reveal any more I will just say that this was a cute romantic-comedy which kept me guessing from one scene after the other. Naturally, being a foreign film I may have missed some of the nuances here and there but I still managed to enjoy it for the most part and have rated it accordingly. Slightly above average.
Tedious and Lacking any Real Humor
22 November 2019
This film begins in Moscow with a beautiful blonde spy by the name of "Tania X" (Beverly Lynne) in the process of seducing a Russian official and afterward photographing top secret documents while he is asleep. Although he awakens and catches her in the act she manages to extricate herself out of the predicament and returns to her headquarters with the film in hand. As it turns out, Agent Tania works for a secret American intelligence service under the acronym of B.I.K.I.N.I. which specializes in obtaining classified information for security purposes. Not long after returning from her mission in Russia she is given an assignment involving an unknown organization which is jamming intelligence communications and subsequently departs with only one slim lead which might help her in her mission. What she doesn't know is that from that point on her investigation will become even more intricate and dangerous than she ever would have imagined. Now rather than reveal any more I will just say that while the overall plot had promise the fact is that the writers and director (Fred Olen Ray) failed to fully develop it further. For example, although Beverly Lynne was definitely attractive and her acting abilities were adequate enough, the decision to have one soft-core sex scene after another every 5 or 10 minutes along the way seriously degraded the overall production values as a whole. Likewise, the cheap costumes and sets coupled with some rather dull humor didn't help in that regard either. That being said, those viewers looking for something that is almost X-rated might find this film somewhat appealing but otherwise it's not really worth the time and I have rated it accordingly.
The Cost of Doing Business with a Brutal Dictator
21 November 2019
Having just returned from a mission in the Far East, a mercenary by the name of "James Shannon" (Christopher Walken) is contacted by a man named "Roy Endean" (Hugh Millais) who asks him to go to the West African country of Zangaro to assess the overall stability of the country. As it so happens, Zangaro is controlled by a ruthless dictator named "General Kimba" (Ilario Bisi-Pedro) who has essentially closed his country off from all foreign business. As a result Roy Endean wants to know if it is possible to overthrow General Kimba and put in his place another person who will be more amendable to his business interests. Although Shannon doesn't particularly like Roy Endean he accepts the assignment and travels to Zangaro posing as a bird watcher. The problem is that General Kimba has spies and informants everywhere and getting the information that Roy Endean wants may prove to be more difficult than either of them imagined. Now rather than reveal any more I will just say that I enjoyed this film due in large part to the acting of Christopher Walken and the gritty depiction of life in a third-world country ruled by a psychotic despot. Admittedly, there are some scenes toward the end that seemed a bit over the top but all things considered I thought that this was a pretty good film for the most part and I have rated it accordingly. Above average.
Texas Terror (1935)
A Case of Mistaken Identity
20 November 2019
After a shootout with some outlaws leaves his best friend dead, "Sheriff John Higgins" (John Wayne) is so emotionally distraught he decides to tender his resignation and heads out west to live a solitary life as a prospector. It's during this time that he befriends an injured Indian and carries him back to his tribe for medical attention which earns him the gratitude of the chief by the name of "Black Eagle" (William Wilkerson). Not long after that he then witnesses a stage car being robbed and after chasing off the bandits responsible recovers the stolen loot as well as rescuing the sole female passenger who just happens to be the daughter of his best friend. Unfortunately, she mistakes him for one of the bandits which complicates things even more for everyone involved. Now rather than reveal any more I will just say that this was a decent western which suffered from a poor script, unsophisticated action scenes and a very short running time (approximately 51 minutes). Having said that, however, I have always believed that it isn't quite fair to compare a film made so long ago t0 those produced in modern times and as a result many of these issues should probably be discounted to some degree. Even so, this was by and large a grade-B film by any standard and for that reason I have rated it accordingly. Average.
Bats (1999)
Genetically Modified Bats!
19 November 2019
This film begins in West Texas with a young couple who have driven out to a secluded place to talk when a nearby passing train unleashes a furious swarm of bats upon the unsuspecting teens. Not long afterward an expert in animal zoology named "Dr. Sheila Casper" (Dina Meyer) and her assistant "Jimmy Sands" (Leon Robinson) are rushed in from Arizona to the town of Gallup, Texas to help the CDC to eliminate these genetically modified bats from spreading a contagious virus to others of its species before they can multiply out of control. Now rather than reveal any more I will just say that this was a fairly typical "nature gone wild" film which suffered somewhat from its lack of horror and suspense. It does, however, have some decent action here and there bolstered by good special effects which tends to make up for some of those faults just mentioned. Likewise, both Lou Diamond Phillips (as "Sheriff Emmett Kimsey") and the aforementioned Dina Meyer performed adequately enough for me to rate this as about average.
An Assassin Turned Bodyguard
18 November 2019
This film begins with a mob boss by the name of "Michael Anthony Palermo" (Mike Marlow) appearing in a church as the groom waiting to be wed to his new bride. Unfortunately, things don't turn out as planned when he is gunned down by an assassin at the alter who then escapes in a hail of bullets. Not long after that the assassin, who goes by the name of "Quinn" (Dean Paul IV), has a meeting with an intermediary known simply as "Ragland" (Brandon Smith) who hands him another assignment in which he is to kill a Russian drug courier named "Tasha" (Lana Antonova). Quinn accepts the contract with little hesitation at first but when he learns that he has been deliberately misinformed about his target he begins to have second thoughts-and this leads to trouble for everyone involved. Now rather than reveal any more I will just say that I bought this movie in a bargain bin at a truck stop in Amarillo, Texas and promptly forgot all about it until recently. Having now seen it I can say that, even though it is clearly a low-budget production, it wasn't too bad all things considered. Admittedly, some of the sets were rather cheap looking and none of the actors really stood out. But it managed to keep my attention for the most part and for that reason I have rated this film accordingly. Average.
Fever Pitch (2005)
Not a Homerun but a Cute Romantic-Comedy All the Same
17 November 2019
Ever since the day his uncle took him to Fenway Park as a young boy, "Ben Wrightman" (Jimmy Fallon) has been Red Sox fan. And thanks to his uncle bequeathing him season tickets upon his death, Ben never misses a home game and is devoted to them from early spring to late fall. Then one winter day he meets a young woman named "Lindsey Meeks" (Drew Barrymore) who is almost the complete opposite of him and they both fall in love. What Lindsey doesn't know, however, is the fanatical devotion Ben has for the Red Sox and this creates a huge problem for their relationship from that point on. Now rather than reveal any more I will just say that this was a cute romantic-comedy which benefited from the good chemistry between the two of them. Admittedly, there are some slow parts here and there and the humor isn't as sharp as it could have been, but even so it was an okay film for the most part and for that reason I have rated it accordingly. Average.
A Good Film Depicting the Horrors of War
16 November 2019
This film begins with a young man named "Ba Do" (Toi Lam) who temporarily leaves his wife "Sau Xoa" (Thuy An Nguyen) and young child living in the swamps of the Mekong Delta to join the local Viet Cong forces fighting in that region. As it so happens, the American military coincidentally makes the decision to clear that exact area of all its inhabitants which subsequently increases the Viet Cong's determination to maintain a presence there even more. Needless to say, this has a direct impact on both Ba Do and Sau Xoa as they struggle against both hostile military action and the challenges of living such a difficult environment as well. Now rather than reveal any more I will just say that-despite the limited budget and the lack of any well-known actors--this is as good a film about the Vietnam War as any that have been produced as it manages to capture hardships experienced by the people who lived in that area during this time. Admittedly, although it neglects to showcase the cruelty inflicted by the Viet Cong on anyone who refused to cooperate with them, given the political climate within Vietnam after the war that probably goes without saying. Be that as it may, despite the faults already mentioned, I was impressed with this film and recommend it to those viewers interested in a movie of this sort and I have rated it accordingly. Above average.
In Search of a Princess in the Borough of Queens
15 November 2019
As the sole heir to the throne of the African kingdom of Zamunda, "Prince Akeem" has a problem in that his father "King Jaffe Joffer" (James Earl Jones) has arraigned for him to be married to a young woman he has never met. And even though his bride is certainly beautiful enough, as his wedding date approaches he becomes even more uneasy. So when he is finally introduced to her at the royal engagement ceremony he decides take matters into his own hands and talk to his father about the situation. However, rather than cancelling the wedding-as Prince Akeem had hoped-King Joffer only partially relents and allows him to travel abroad for a month or so to "sow his royal oats" before returning to wed his prechosen bride. What the king doesn't know, however, is that Prince Akeem has a totally different idea in mind in that he plans to use this time to find his own wife. And although he has never been there he decides that there is only one place to go to find such a mate worthy of a throne than, quite naturally, the borough of Queens in New York City! Now rather than reveal any more I will just say that I enjoyed this film due in large part to the acting of both Eddie Murphy and Arsenio Hall (as his loyal friend "Semmi") who played their parts in a thoroughly amusing manner. On that note, it should also be mentioned that the two of them also took on several additional roles which were equally hilarious in their own right as well. In any case, those viewers interested in a good comedy might want to check out this particular film and I have rated it accordingly. Above average.
A Secret Society with a Devilish Plan
14 November 2019
This film essentially begins in at a Swiss laboratory with scientists producing three canister of the highly explosive compound known as anti-matter. Not long afterward, however, one of the scientists is murdered and a canister is stolen. Meanwhile, in Rome, it is reported that Pope Pius XVI has died and upon his burial a papal conclave gathers to select a new one. But just prior to this solemn event, four of the most influential cardinals are kidnapped with clues pointing to a secret organization known as the Illuminati as the likely suspect-and their plan is to destroy the Vatican using the stolen canister of anti-matter. To prevent this the Vatican sends a secret envoy to Harvard to enlist the help of "Professor Robert Langdon" (Tom Hanks) who specializes in ancient symbology and might be able to decipher some of the clues left behind by the Illuminati. Now rather than reveal any more I will just say that, although this sequel to "The Da Vinci Code" had more action, the conspiracy theories were even more absurd than in the original film and this tended to weaken the overall story rather than strengthening it. That being said, while this wasn't a terrible film by any means, it wasn't something a person could take seriously and for that reason I have rated it accordingly. Average.
Similar to "High Noon" but Lacking the Intensity and Suspense
13 November 2019
After his family is murdered by a ruthless outlaw gang, a man by the name of "Larry Delong" (Randolph Scott) accepts a job guarding a stagecoach line in a certain part of the country under the firm belief that he will be able to find and kill the people responsible. However, in the course of his search for them he accidentally falls into a trap by that same gang and is almost killed. Fortunately, during his time in captivity he learns of their plans to lure a posse from a nearby town on a fruitless search in order to facilitate their plans to rob the bank. Wanting to warn the citizens he then rides into that town but to his surprise the people there mistake him for one of the outlaws which results in him taking shelter in a store while a mob gathers all around with the intention of lynching him despite his warnings meant to protect them. Now rather than reveal any more I will just say that this was a rather odd film which resembled the classic western "High Noon" in many respects. It doesn't, however, have the same level of intensity or suspense and as a result I have rated this film accordingly. Average.
An Elaborate and Diabolical Insurance Scheme
12 November 2019
This film begins with a dead body found on the banks of the Thames River in London. And because there have been several other bodies found in that area within the last eight months, Scotland Yard has appropriately opened an investigation into these incidents. The next scene shifts to an insurance company run by a former physician named "Dr. Feodor Orloff" (Bela Lugosi) who, because he has been rejected by the medical association in that country, has made his living providing life insurance to certain people in need of it. What these people don't know, however, is that Dr. Orloff has concocted an elaborate scheme to collect on the insurance policy in the event that something should happen to them-and that they are destined to become his next victim found on the Thames. Now rather than reveal any more I will just say that this was a rather odd horror film due in large part to the abbreviated nature of the scenes. Even so, Bela Lugosi performed quite well in his diabolical role despite the overall limited production values and for that reason I have rated this film accordingly. Average.
A Good Mixture of Humor and Action
11 November 2019
This film begins with three heavily armed brothers by the names of "Brick Oodie" (Clayne Crawford), "McQueen Oodie" (Travis Fimmel) and Lincoln Oodie" (Daniel Cudmore) entering a house inhabited by drug dealers and killing everyone there. Much to their chagrin, right after killing the last person there they realize that they accidentally targeted the wrong address. To make things even more interesting, there happens to be a witness named "Celeste" (Eva Longoria) who subsequently goes to the three brother's home and offers them $25,000 for them to kidnap her adopted son "Rob" (Thomas Brodie-Sangster) from her former husband "Carlos" (Billy Bob Thornton). What she fails to tell them, however, is that Carlos just happens to be a very well-connected drug dealer who never lets a grudge go unanswered. Now rather than reveal any more I will just say that this film had a good mixture of humor and action which helped to pass the time rather well. On the other hand, more than a few of the scenarios were much too over-the-top which detracted somewhat from the overall effect. Even so, I enjoyed it for the most part and for that reason I have rated this movie accordingly. Slightly above average.
When Paranoia Leads to Panic
26 October 2019
Having recently developed heart trouble a middle aged man by the name of "George Z. Jones" (Barry Sullivan) is confined to a bed at home while his wife, "Ellen" (Loretta Young) takes care of him. As it so happens, he has a good friend by the name of "Dr. Ranney Grahame" (Bruce Cowling) who also checks in on him from time to time as well. Unfortunately, as George becomes more ill he begins to become extremely suspicious that his wife and Dr. Grahame are not only cheating on him but are also devising a plan to kill him in order to collect on his life insurance policy. So to counter this scheme he writes a letter to the local district attorney and then tells Ellen all about it once it is mailed. Realizing the implications and the impact that this would have on her Ellen becomes emotionally distraught and desperately tries everything in her power to get the letter back-which only makes her situation even worse. Now rather than reveal any more I will just say that this turned out to be a fairly good film noir all things considered. Admittedly, there were a couple of scenes where I thought that Loretta Young over-acted a bit but even so I enjoyed this film for the most part and have rated it accordingly. Slightly above average.
A Low-Budget 70's Film
25 October 2019
This film essentially centers around a middle aged man named "Big Jim" (Gerald Richards) who is married to a woman by the name of "Melody" (Linda Cook) but cheats on her at every opportunity. As a result, Melody is often left at home and has become quite lonely because of it. Then one day one of Big Jim's hired hands named "Sam" (Edmund Genest) comes to the door and this presents an opportunity for her to get out more and expand her horizons. Unfortunately, Big Jim doesn't like the idea of her spending any time outside of the house and things become even more strained between them than they ever were before. Now rather than reveal any more I will just say that this was a cheaply made film which suffered as a result. To be totally fair though, the acting wasn't too bad and the plot made up for the poor camera work to a certain degree so all things considered I have given it the benefit of the doubt and rated this low-budget film just slightly below average.
One Last Battle for an Old Devil Dog
24 October 2019
This film begins with a Marine Gunnery Sergeant by the name of "Thomas Highway" (Clint Eastwood) sitting in a jail cell pending his release for being drunk and disorderly the night before. Not long afterward he is given a transfer to another base where he is assigned to a reconnaissance platoon in need of serious repair due to a severe lack of discipline. To make matters even worse for him, his new commander, "Major Malcolm Powers" (Everett McGill) has already formed an immediate dislike for him due to an incident between GySgt Highway and a friend of his at another location and is determined to make his duties as difficult as possible. Now rather than reveal any more I will just say that this was a good film which suffered somewhat due to the unnecessary coarse language and a couple of unrealistic action scenes. Even so, Clint Eastwood performed in his usual solid manner and for that reason I have rated this film accordingly. Slightly above average.
Definitly One of the Last Installments to the Franchise
23 October 2019
This film essentially begins with a young woman by the name of "Elizabeth Marcus" (Julie Michaels) attempting to take a bath in a cottage at Camp Crystal Lake and being attacked by "Jason Voorhees" (Kane Hodder). Fortunately, she manages to escape and runs out of the house and into the woods with Jason in hot pursuit. Suddenly, lights appear as Jason discovers that the woman has lured him into a trap by FBI agents who fire their guns at him with deadly accuracy which results in his body being ripped to shreds. Not long after that, his body is taken to a morgue in Columbus, Ohio where a coroner is tasked to perform an autopsy. While doing so, however, Jason's evil spirit manages to possess the coroner's body and from that point on Jason resumes his murderous rampage once again. Now rather than reveal any more I will just say that this film incorporated more of a supernatural theme than its predecessors and it worked to a certain degree. Admittedly, it could have used a bit more suspense and better character development but it managed to keep my attention for the most part and for that reason I have rated it accordingly. Slightly above average.
Key Largo (1948)
A Soldier Fighting Against a Notorious Gangster
21 October 2019
This film begins with a former army major by the name of "Frank McCloud" (Humphrey Bogart) traveling by bus to Key West and stopping off at a hotel in Key Largo to visit the family of a soldier who served with him in World War 2 and died in combat. However, upon entering the hotel where the family lives, Frank is surprised by a group of men led by a notorious gangster by the name of "Johnny Rocco" (Edward G. Robinson) who had been deported several years earlier and has now returned to the United States to carry out an illicit business transaction with another gangster from Miami named "Ziggy" (Marc Lawrence). But before Ziggy can arrive to complete the deal Frank has to somehow manage to keep himself and the family he came to visit safe from not just Johnny Rocco and his men but also a hurricane which is headed right in their direction. Now rather than reveal any more I will just say that this was an enjoyable crime-drama for the most part but it suffered to a certain extent by some overacting-especially on the part of Claire Trevor (as "Gaye Dawn") and Lionel Barrymore ("James Temple"). Even so, both Humphrey Bogart and Edward G. Robinson managed to keep things interesting and for that reason I have rated it accordingly. Slightly above average.
Betting It All
20 October 2019
This film takes place in the city of New Orleans with a young gambler who goes by the nickname of "The Cincinnati Kid" (Steve McQueen) having beaten everybody in the area in 5 card stud. So when he is informed by his good friend, "Shooter" (Karl Malden) that the country's best player named "Lancey Howard" (Edward G. Robinson) is coming to New Orleans, "the Kid" (as he is know to the locals) becomes extremely anxious for the chance to prove to everybody that he is now the best. Unfortunately, it's at this same time that he begins to experience some difficulties with his girlfriend "Christian" (Tuesday Weld) who has become frustrated with his inability to commit to their relationship. At the same time, Shooter's wife "Melba" (Ann-Margret) also creates problems by constantly trying to seduce him. Now rather than reveal any more I will just say that this is one of Steve McQueen's best films ever made as he performs his role to near perfection as do all of the other actors just mentioned. Likewise, the colorful setting of New Orleans certainly helped to a great degree as well. All things considered then, I enjoyed this film and recommend it to any viewers who might be interested in a movie of this type.