Reviews

2,225 Reviews
Digging Up the Past
17 September 2019
"Tommy Jarvis" (Thom Mathews) is back and this time he is intent on making sure that "Jason Vorhees" (played by C. J. Graham) is not only dead and buried but that he will never return to kill and terrorize innocent people again. So one dark and stormy night he and his friend "Allen Hawes" (Ron Palillo) escape from their mental hospital and drive to the cemetary where Jason is buried with the intent on exhuming the body and then burning it to ashes. Unfortunately, Tommy gets a bit carried away upon seeing the body and after driving a metal rod through Jason's chest causes a bolt of lightening to strike it-returning Jason back to life! Although Tommy manages to escape his friend is not so lucky and from that point on Jason has only one thought in mind-to return to what was formerly called "Camp Crystal Lake" to continue his reign of death and destruction to a new group of counselors who had long thought that he was dead. Now rather than reveal any more I will just say that I thought that this film was slightly better than its predecessor due in large part to the plentiful action scenes and some traces of humor here and there. Admittedly, I had hoped for a bit more suspense but all things considered I was reasonably satisfied with the film and for that reason I have rated it accordingly. Slightly above average.
A Marriage on the Rocks
16 September 2019
This film begins with a wealthy British man by the name of "Arthur Anderson" (Michael Craig) driving to his house and discovering his wife face down in the swimming pool. So after taking the body upstairs to the bedroom he and his maid "Felicity Downing" (Miranda Campa) dry off the body, change her clothes and then call the police. A couple of days later, Arthur is charged with murder due primarily to the fact that this was the third wife he has had in three years and all of them had died leaving him as the beneficiary of their insurance policies. However, with only the fact that drugs had been found in her system and no proof as to whether he had anything to do with it, he is subsequently acquitted. Not long afterward he hears a noise in his yard and upon going to check it out sees a stunning blonde woman by the name of "Julie Spencer" (Carrol Baker) swimming in the same pool his wife had drown in not too long before. After a brief conversation she leaves but soon after that they begin to spend more time together which eventually leads to marriage. Unfortunately, there is much more to Julie than meets the eye and soon the two of them become deathly suspicious of one another. Now rather than reveal any more I will just say that this film starts off exceedingly slow and maintains that pace for quite awhile afterward. Fortunately, the mystery and intrigue pick up about two-thirds of the way through and partially redeems what otherwise could have been a rather boring movie. All things considered then, while this wasn't a great mystery-thriller by any means, I suppose it was okay for a rainy day and for that reason I have rated it accordingly. Average.
Casablanca (1942)
One of the Best Films Ever Made
15 September 2019
With the Nazis having already occupied France and conquered much of Eastern Europe, a stream of refugees desperately attempt to get to America by embarking on a tortuous path which includes getting to the small city of Casablanca in French Morocco and from there to Lisbon. However, as difficult as it is for these refugees to actually get to Casablanca, their travel is further complicated by the fact that nobody is allowed to take the daily flight from there to Lisbon without the written permission of the corrupt Vichy French police commander by the name of "Captain Louis Renault" (Claude Rains). So quite often these refugees have to wait for quite a long time and this-in and of itself-creates even more of a financial and logistical hardship upon them. So in an effort to find a solution to their problem or temporarily forget about their troubles, many of them flock to the most popular nightclub there known as "Rick's Café Americain" which is owned by a tough and worldly American expatriot named "Rick Blaine" (Humphrey Bogart). Yet, even though he is quite successful in Casablanca, he finds it hard to find any great happiness due to a previous romance which devastated him a year and a half earlier. However, things take a sudden turn for the worse when a famous anti-German activist named "Victor Laszlo" (Paul Henreid) walks into his nightclub-and with him is the woman who broke his heart that bleak and rainy day in Paris. Now rather than reveal any more I will just say that this is not only my favorite movie of all time but is also considered to be one of the best films ever made with a number of movie stars possibly turning in the best performances of their careers. I especially liked the chemistry between Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman (as "Ilsa Lund") along with the performance of Dooley Wilson as Rick's loyal companion "Sam". Be that as it may, I believe that this is one of the very few films that each and every viewer ought to see at least once and for that reason I have rated it accordingly. A classic in every sense of the word.
Two Assassins and a CIA Agent Caught in the Middle of a Gang War
14 September 2019
This film begins with an agent for the CIA by the name of "Betty Lee" (Sibelle Hu) investigating a counterfeit operation in the United States and discovering that it originates somewhere in the Philippines. The scene then shifts to Japan where an attractive woman named "Amy" (Yoko Miyamoto) is in the process of seducing a high-ranking mob boss and then assassinates him while he is sleeping in bed. Around the same time, another beautiful assassin by the name of "Ilene" (Maria Jo) is equally busy killing a number of mobsters who are in the process of conducting a business meeting in Hong Kong. What essentially follows is that, unknown to each other, both assassins have been hired to kill a man by the name of "Charles Wong" (Chung Lam) who controls both the drug trade and the same counterfeiting ring that Betty Lee is currently investigating. But what neither Amy nor her unknown fellow assassin Ilene realize is that once their target has been eliminated their orders will be to kill one another so that there will be nobody left to identify the person who ordered the hit on Charles Wong. Now rather than reveal any more I will just say that this was a confusing low-budget action film which featured plenty of shooting and acrobatics but was rather weak in both character development and dialogue. To be sure both Yoko Miyamoto and Maria Jo were pleasing to the eye but the constant action became rather tedious at times. That being said, while this wasn't necessarily a bad film for the most part, it could have used a certain amount of fine-tuning here and there and for that reason I have rated it accordingly. Slightly below average.
Pretty Cool (2006)
Somewhat Crude and Cliched
13 September 2019
"Howard Duckell" (Will Burke) is an ordinary high school student who dreams of being irresitable to women. But on one particular day this becomes a problem when he wakes up late and realizes that he is about to miss his high school graduation. So upon hurrying out of the house he literally runs into a pretty girl by the name of "Tiffany Granger" (Alexis Thorpe) and knocks her over. Apologizing profusely he then barely makes it to his ceremony only to realize that his grades weren't quite good enough to graduate and in order to obtain his high school diploma he will have to attend summer school. Naturally, this conflicts with his plans to get to know Tiffany better so he decides to break into the high school principals office to change his grades on the computer. However, upon doing so he accidently hacks into a top secret Eastern European computer program which transfers psychic powers into his brain which gives him the power to read people's minds and control their every word and deed. Needless to say, he is initially delighted to have such abilities but he begins to have second thoughts when things get totally out of control. Now rather than reveal any more I will just say that I thought this film had promise but quickly became a bit too crude and clichéd for my tastes. That is not to say, however, that there weren't so humorous moments here and there but overall I didn't think it quite fulfilled its potential and for that reason I have rated it accordingly. Slightly below average.
Coyote Ugly (2000)
Coyote Average
12 September 2019
This movie begins with a young woman named "Violet Sanford" (Piper Perado) having made the decision to quit her job at a local pizzeria and leave her home in New Jersey to try her luck being a songwriter in New York City. Yet even though she has thought about this move for years things don't go nearly as well as she had planned-and then things get much worse. It's at this point that she meets a grill cook by the name of "Kevin O'Donnell" (Adam Garcia) who does his best to help her out even though he has few connections in the music industry. Unfortunately, that being the case, she gets tentatively accepted for a job dancing and bartending at a raucous bar known as Coyote Ugly which causes her life to change drastically from then. Now rather than reveal any more I will just say that this was an uneven comedy-drama which had both good points and rather weak ones as well. To that extent, both the acting and the comedy were mediocre but the plot was interesting and it kept my attention for the most part so I suppose I shouldn't be too critical about it overall. That being the case, I have rated it accordingly. Average.
Branded (1950)
A Successful Deception
11 September 2019
This film begins with a gunslinger by the name of "Choya" (Alan Ladd) escaping from some men who intend to lynch him for killing a friend of theirs in a gunfight. Although he manages to escape two bystanders by the names of "T. Jefferson Leffingwell" (Robert Keith) and "Tattoo" (John Berkes) find him camping in a cave and offer him a certain proposition. Essentially, they tell him of a young boy who was kidnapped from a wealthy family 30 years ago and since he fits the general description they ask him to ride to this ranch owner and claim to be his missing son. To help with the impersonation he is given a tattoo on his right arm which resembles a birthmark that the young child had. However, what he doesn't expect is the outpouring of love given to him by this family when he successfully deceives them-and this begins to gnaw on his conscience from that point on. Now rather than reveal any more I will just say that, although it started off rather slow, it developed rather nicely after that and kept my attention all the way until the end. Admittedly, there were some parts toward the end which could have been condensed a little but it was still a pretty good western all the same and I have rated it accordingly. Slightly above average.
An Entertaining Film in a Grade-B Sort of Way
10 September 2019
This film essentially begins with a young woman by the name of "Sally Reynolds" (June Kenney) inquiring about an ad in the paper advertising a job for a receptionist at a small doll manufacturing company in Los Angeles. From what she is told by the dollmaker, "Mr. Franz" (John Hoyt) the previous secretary had left rather abruptly and even though her instincts warn her against accepting the job, she becomes convinced by his entreaties and does so anyway. Not long after that she meets a traveling salesman by the name of "Bob Westley" (John Agar) and they soon become romantically involved. However, upon accepting his proposal of marriage and agreeing to quit her job and move to St. Louis with him in a few days, they discover that Mr. Franz does not like the idea at all and things begin to happen that neither her nor Bob could ever quite imagine. Now rather than reveal any more I will just say that this was a movie which turned out to be quite different than what I was expecting. To that effect, while it might qualify as a SciFi-Horror film in the technical sense, there really wasn't much horror to be found here at all. Likewise, there wasn't very much suspense either. Even so, this was still an entertaining film in a grade-B sort of way and for that reason I have rated it accordingly. Average.
To Russia with Love
9 September 2019
While on an extended vacation in Soviet Russia, a publishing company manager by the name of "Bartholomew 'Barley' Scott-Blair" (Sean Connery) is approached by a mysterious person named "Dante" (Klaus Maria Brandauer) who seems unusually interested in his anti-nationalist philosophies. Although both flattered and intrigued, he gives it no mind and eventually returns to home in Portugal to continue his work. Not long after that, however, a Russian woman by the name of "Katya Orlova" (Michelle Pfeiffer) approaches a colleague of Bartholomew's named "Nicky Landau" (Nicholas Woodeson) in Moscow and gives him a manuscript to pass on to him. Not knowing how to get in contact with Bartholomew, Nicky hands it over to the British government who suddenly realize that they have in their possession a portion of the entire Soviet nuclear capabilities. Needless to say, this suddenly becomes a matter of great importance and Bartholomew is soon coerced into tracking down Katya in order to find Dante at all costs. Now rather than reveal any more I will just say that this film had an extremely complex plot which was difficult to follow at times. There were also some rather slow scenes here and there along with a noticeable lack of suspense and action as well. Even so, Sean Connery performed in an excellent manner and all things considered I thought that this was a reasonably enjoyable spy movie and have rated it accordingly. Slightly above average.
End of Days (1999)
Running from the Devil
8 September 2019
As the millinium comes to a close "Satan" (played by Gabriel Byrne) inhabits the body of a man in New York City to seek out a specific woman by the name of "Christine" (Robin Tunney) who is capable of producing a male offspring for him. Christine, on the other hand, has no idea how her life has been carefully orchestrated by Satan's followers in preparation for this event. Meanwhile, the Catholic Church has been split into two factions with one side wanting to kill Christine to prevent the apocalypse and the other with the more high-minded goal of relying upon their faith to do what is morally right. Caught in between these groups is a security guard by the name of "Jericho" (Arnold Schwarzenegger) and his partner "Bobby Chicago" (Kevin Pollack) who were initially responsible for guarding the man that Satan then possessed in order to carry out his carnal ambitions. And in no time he quickly discovers that there are things happening in the world that defy human understanding. Now rather than reveal any more I will just say that this film had an interesting plot and-coupled with a solid cast-should have been an incredible success. Unfortunately, the director (Peter Hyams) chose to focus too heavily upon action and special effects rather than horror or mystery and produced a much more mediocre product than it should have been. But sadly, that's Hollywood in this current day and age. Be that as it may, although this film wasn't nearly as good as it should have been, it wasn't terribly bad and for that reason I have rated it accordingly. Average.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Onna batoru koppu (1990 Video)
A Japanese Version of Robocop
7 September 2019
This film begins in a futuristic setting in Japan at nightclub where two rival gangs are about to engage in a gun battle. All of a sudden four individuals wearing army uniforms enter and proceed to kill all of the gang members there. As it so happens, these four people belong to the enforcement branch of another highly organized gang known as "the Cartel" and are tasked with destroying all of their competitors. The scene then shifts to a young woman named "Kaoru Okoshiba" (Azusa Nakamura) and two male companions who are congratulating her for finishing second in a recent tennis match. Not long afterward, she also becomes a victim of the Cartel but before dying she requests that her body should be donated for a procedure in which she will transformed into a cybernetic being who can then administer justice. Six months later with New Tokyo plagued by lawlessness as a result of the Cartel a new force for law and order arrives-Lady Battle Cop. However, the Cartel isn't unnecessarily worried as they also have a powerful humanoid robot of their own named "Amadeus" (Masaru Matsuda) who appears to be even more powerful. Now rather than reveal any more I will just say this film was a poorly made, low-budget, Japanese version of "Robocop" which suffered from a poor script, weak acting and even worse action scenes. Truth be told, it was painful to watch at times as the same scenes kept being repeated over and over again. That being said, I was not at all impressed with this film and for that reason I have rated it accordingly. Below average.
A Good Performance by Demi Moore
6 September 2019
"Marina" (Demi Moore) is an attractive young woman who lives on an isolated island off the Carolina coast and is both single and-as it turns out-clairvoyant. So that being the case, one day she becomes overjoyed with a vision she receives which has her future husband coming to the island on a rowboat. Sure enough, not long afterward she finally gets to see the supposed man of her dreams in person and he turns out to be nothing like she had imagined. But being convinced of her vision she marries "Leo Lemke" (George Dzundza) and goes off to New York City with him. Yet even though she tries to be the best wife possible she finds it difficult to keep her visions to herself and that's when things get extremely interesting to everyone living around her. Now rather than reveal any more I will just say that this was a pretty good comedy which kept my interest from start-to-finish. Admittedly, it had some slow scenes here and there but it definitely had its moment and I thought that Demi Moore played her role to near perfection. Be that as it may, I thought that this was a refreshing, little comedy and have rated it accordingly. Above average.
The Stuff Dreams Are Made Of
5 September 2019
This film begins with a private detective named "Sam Spade" (Humphrey Bogart) interviewing a new client by the name of "Ruth Wonderly" (Mary Astor) who asks him to track down her missing sister who has somehow become involved with a dangerous and unseen man known only as Floyd Thursby . As it so happens, Sam's partner "Miles Archer" (Jerome Cowan) arrives at that moment and decides to take over the case personally. That night Miles is shot and killed--and since Sam is having an affair with his partner's wife--he becomes the leading suspect. And then when Thursby is shot and killed hours later he also become the primary suspect in that murder as well. It then becomes apparent that Ms. Wonderly-who has since disclosed that her real name "Brigid O'Shaughnessy"-hasn't hasn't quite told Sam the entire truth and he soon finds himself involved in a complicated scheme concerning an extremely valuable statuette known as the Maltese Falcon--and the people looking for it will stop at nothing to get their hands on it. Now, for those who might not be aware of it, this film is practically identical to the 1931 version starring Ricard Cortez in the role of Sam Spade and Bebe Daniels as Ruth Wonderly. And even though the earlier version was quite good, this one is even better with Peter Lorre (as "Joel Cairo"), Sydney Greenstreet ("Kasper Gutman"), Lee Patrick ("Effie Perine") along with the aforementioned Humphrey Bogart and Mary Astor excelling in their individual roles. Again, while I liked the Maltese Falcon of 1931, this particular movie is a pure delight in every way and for that reason I highly recommend this film to all viewers and have rated it accordingly. A true classic in every sense of the word.
A Submarine Commander Seeking Revenge
4 September 2019
Having already lost one submarine under his command by depth charges from a Japanese destroyer, "Cdr 'Rich' Richardson" (Clark Gable) has been relegated to a desk for over a year in Pearl Harbor anxiously awaiting the opportunity to redeem himself. So upon learning that another submarine command position has just opened up, he leaps at the opportunity to take it even though the current executive officer "Lt. Jim Bledsoe" (Burt Lancaster) had been promised the job previously. Needless to say, while this angers both Lt Bledsoe and the loyal crew of the submarine, what upsets them even more is the fact that their new commander seems obsessed with returning to the exact same location where he lost his first submarine-and has since become a graveyard for several others as well. Now rather than reveal any more I will just say this is a very solid submarine movie which has an interesting plot and some good suspense throughout. It also featured two strong performances by Clark Gable and Burt Lancaster. That being said, this is a fine submarine movie and I recommend it to those viewers who might be interested.
Ticks (1993)
Enhanced by Steroids and Feeding on Blood
3 September 2019
Having experienced a severe trauma in the forest as a young child, a teenager by the name of "Tyler Burns" (Seth Green) is forced by his father to confront his fears by going on a wilderness retreat in a wooded area of California. With him are several other teenagers who have issues of their own and who might also benefit from this excursion. Unfortunately, what the counselors, "Charles Danson" (Peter Scolari) and "Holly Lambert" (Rosalind Allen) don't count on is the fact that the area they plan on camping out at is being used by a couple of nefarious marijuana growers who are using synthetic steroids to enhance their product. That being said, not only do they not like outsiders, but the chemicals they are using also has the undesired effect of triggering growth in certain insects--most notably ticks. And as these ticks reach monstrous size this creates problems for all concerned. Now rather than reveal any more I will just say that I was not at all impressed with this film for several reasons. First, the special effects used was more comical than frightening and this tended to lessen the horror rather than enhancing it. Likewise, the suspense was rather tepid and the plot featured one clichéd scene after another which also lessened the overall effect as well. In short, although I liked the performances of Seth Green, Rosalind Allen and Alfonso Ribeiro (as "Darrel 'Panic' Lumley"), there were simply too many weaknesses in this film for me to rate it any higher than I have. Below average.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Out of Reach (2004 Video)
Tracking Down Human Traffickers in Poland
2 September 2019
This film begins with a retired CSA agent by the name of "William Lansing" (Steven Seagal) enjoying some peace and quiet in a wildlife refuge area with few outside distractions. However, when a young Polish orphan that he was sponsoring by the name of "Irena Morawska" (Ida Nowakowska) mysteriously stops writing to him, he becomes concerned and decides to travel to Poland to investigate the situation. To his dismay, he soon discovers that Irena has been kidnapped by a sophisticated network of human traffickers who know how to use their connections to remain hidden from the law. Additionally, it's also at this time that some former colleagues appear on the scene with a serious grudge to settle with him which then complicates things even further. Now rather than reveal any more I will just say that this was a rather strange crime-drama which suffered from an uneven plot and poor direction. To that extent, while I typically like Stevan Seagal films, I must say that I was somewhat disappointed with this particular one and for that reason I have rated it accordingly. Slightly below average.
Gloria (1980)
On the Run from the Mob
1 September 2019
This movie begins with a man named "Jack Dawn" (Buck Henry) attempting to escape with his family from the mob in New York. As it so happens, Jack was an accountant for the mafia and had secretly kept a book which detailed all of the illegal transactions carried by his boss. Incensed by the fact that he might be planning on handing the book over to the police, the word is out that Jack and his entire family are to be killed immediately. Realizing his predicament Jack convinces his neighbor named "Gloria Swenson" (Gena Rowlands) to take care of his young son "Phil Dawn" (John Adames) for a short time while he can figure out his next move. Unfortunately, no sooner does he give Phil to her then some hitmen arrive and proceed to kill everyone except Gloria and Phil who manage to escape. Not only that, but Phil has in his possession the book which the mob is desperate to get their hands on. From that point on both Gloria and Phil become fugitives in a city with numerous mobsters intent upon retrieving the book and killing both of them in the process. Now rather than reveal any more I will just say this this was a decent crime-drama made better by the excellent performance of Gena Rowlands who played her character to near perfection. Having said that, however, there were more than a few repetitious scenes which made things seem a bit redundant at times. Even so, I enjoyed this film for the most part and I have rated it accordingly. Slightly above average.
Black Widow (1987)
A Beautiful Woman with Deadly Intentions
31 August 2019
This film essentially begins with an extremely wealthy man being found dead in his bed. Since the autopsy couldn't find any evidence of foul play his newly married wife "Catharine" (Theresa Russell) naturally inherits all of the money. This strange death is later followed by yet another wealthy man dying in his sleep as well. And then another-to the point that a young agent for the Justice Department by the name of "Alexandra" (Debra Winger) becomes suspicious and begs her boss "Bruce" (Terry O'Quinn) to let her investigate the possibility that each of these men were murdered. Not only that, she also believes that it is highly likely that they were killed by the same person. Now rather than reveal any more I will just say that this was a decent film which had an interesting plot and two talented actresses in Debra Winger and Theresa Russell. On the flip side, however, I must admit that the film lacked any general suspense and had a couple of scenes which weren't very realistic. That said, while I don't consider this to be a great film by any means, it was still entertaining for the most part and for that reason I have rated it accordingly. Slightly above average.
The Bodyguard (1992)
A Bodyguard in a Difficult Situation
30 August 2019
Having recently resigned from the Secret Service, a bodyguard by the name of "Frank Farmer" (Kevin Costner) is offered a high-paying job protecting a musician by the name of "Rachel Marron" (Whitney Houston) who has recently received several serious threats upon her life. Although initially hesitant, he eventually decides to check out the situation as a matter of courtesy and is thoroughly appalled by what he finds as not only is her security greatly inadequate for the task at hand but her carefree lifestyle makes things even more difficult. Yet, despite the fact that it goes against his better instincts, he reluctantly accepts the security position-and it's then that he discovers just how precarious the situation really is. Now rather than reveal any more I will just say that this was a decent film with an interesting plot and a nice twist at the end. Along with that, I would also like to mention that this film received several awards and nominations with most of them pertaining to the musical abilities of Whitney Houston rather than her acting abilities or that of Kevin Costner. To that point, although both of them were panned by the Razzie Awards, I personally didn't think that either of them deserved this criticism. That being said, while this certainly wasn't a great film by any means, it was still entertaining for the most part and for that reason I have rated it accordingly. Slightly above average.
Hot Cars (1956)
A Basic Crime-Drama
29 August 2019
"Nick Dunn" (John Bromfield) is an honest, hard-working man who does his best trying to support his wife, "Jane Dunn" (Carol Shannon) and their extremely ill newborn son. Then one day things take a turn for the worse when he is subsequently fired from his job as a used car salesman after telling a customer by the name of "Karen Winter" (Joi Lansing) the truth about one of the vehicles. Needless to say, this puts him in a bind as the bills are quickly piling up and he has no money left to pay them. Things begin to change, however, when he learns that Karen has recommended him for a job at another used car lot and after talking to the owner "Arthur Markel" (Ralph Clanton) he is not only hired but also discovers that he will now make even more money than before. What he doesn't know, however, is that there is more to this used car lot than he was initially told and in order to sell the cars he will have to put his integrity on the line as well. Now rather than reveal any more I will just say that this was a rather basic crime drama which suffers from an unremarkable script and a general lack of suspense. Having said that, it wasn't necessarily a bad film by any means and for that reason I have rated it accordingly. Average.
Easy A (2010)
The Problem with Telling Lies
21 August 2019
Although "Rhiannon" (Aly Michalka) is her best friend, a high school student by the name of "Olive" (Emma Stone) cannot stand the thought of going with her on a camping trip with Rhiannon's parents. So unable to think of any other excuse, Olive concocts a story about having a date with a college guy for that very weekend. Naturally, being a close friend, when Rhiannon returns she demands that Olive tell her everything about her date. This leads Olive to invent yet another story about losing her virginity in order to make it seem more appealing. This then creates a new problem as their conversation is overheard in the female restroom by a sanctimonious gossip named "Marianne" (Amanda Bynes) who then proceeds to tell everybody in the school. As a result, Olive quickly gets a reputation for being a promiscuous tramp which subsequently intrigues all of the guys-but infuriates all of the girls. Naturally, hormones being what they are, things take on a life of their own from that point on. Now rather than reveal any more I will just say that this was a cute comedy which started off reasonably well but then slowed down a bit before the end. Even so, I thought Emma Stone put in a pretty good performance overall and for that reason I have rated this film accordingly. Slightly above average.
Hate Story 3 (2015)
A Mystery with Good Potential but in Need of Better Execution
19 August 2019
This story begins with a rich businessman by the name of "Aditya Diwan" (Sharman Joshi) and his beautiful wife "Siya Diwan" (Zareen Khan) officiating at the inauguration of a new hospital. As it so happens, Siya had previously had a romantic affair with Aditya's older brother "Vikram Diwan" (Priyanshu Chatterjee) but things didn't turn out very well as he died in an airplane accident and their unborn child miscarried. Even so, Siya is now quite happy and her marriage to Aditya is very strong. However, things begin to get very strange when another rich businessman by the name of "Saurav Singhania" (Karan Singh Grover) invites the two of them to his home where he tells Aditya that in exchange for a large sum of money he wants Siya all to himself for one night. Needless to say, this infuriates Aditya who angrily storms out. But what Aditya doesn't know is that Saurav is prepared to go to incredible lengths to get what he wants. Now rather than reveal any more I will just say that this film started out incredibly well but started to lose its momentum about halfway through with the plot becoming more and more ridiculous as it went on. To be fair, Zareen Khan was certainly quite attractive and I liked the manner in which the mystery behind Saurav's reasoning for wanting Siya was kept secret until the very end. But even so, the weaknesses mentioned earlier were much too obvious to be ignored and I have rated this film accordingly. Average.
Super Size Me (2004)
A Reckless but Informative Experiment
18 August 2019
In an effort to discover the effects of a fast food diet a man by the name of "Morgan Spurlock" (played by himself) decides to eat nothing but McDonalds meals for a month, 3 times daily. Prior to this, however, he visits several doctors and records all of the necessary data pertaining to his health along with information concerning nutrition. He also decides not to exercise during this experiment. Now, while this was certainly not a scientific experiment in the classical sense, the overall end result after this 30-day period was definitely an eye-opening experience and one which I believe everyone in America could learn from. At the same time, however, I also thought the entire concept was more than a little reckless and not something anyone should consider duplicating. Be that as it may, I found this documentary to be both interesting and informative and for that reason I have rated it accordingly. Slightly above average.
An Uneven Comedy Saved by the Presence of Mamie Van Doren
17 August 2019
This film essentially begins with an exotic dancer by the name of "Saxie Symbol" (Mamie Van Doren), a used car salesman "Joe Lynch" (Paul Gilbert) and a male fashion model named "Bruce Bernard" (John Cronin) living together in a spacious house in an effort to save money on the rent. As it so happens, each of them also have some emotional issues that need to be worked out so in order to once again save money they decide to hire an unemployed method actor by the name of "Tommy Noonan" (as himself) to act as a conduit of sorts for each of them in front of a psychiatrist named "Dr. Myra Von" (Ziva Rodann). Needless to say, when Tommy assumes three separate identities at her session, Dr. Von becomes convinced that this strange case of schizophrenia is an excellent opportunity for her to advance her own career and soon the entire world becomes fixated on the problems of this poor man. Now rather than reveal any more I will just say that this film turned out to be a terribly uneven comedy which had potential but lacked the necessary depth to really stand out. On the flip side, however, Mamie Van Doren definitely stood out and in my opinion elevated this film to a certain degree by her beauty alone. That being said, while this certainly wasn't a great comedy by any means, it had its moments here and there and for that reason I have rated it accordingly. Average.
Gran Torino (2008)
Clint Eastwood at His Best
16 August 2019
Having recently lost his wife a retired automaker and Korean War veteran named "Walt Kowalski" (Clint Eastwood) is angry at the way the world around him has changed. For starters, the economic situation in his hometown of Detroit has not only devasted the livelihoods of everyone around him but a massive influx of Khmer refugees into his neighborhood has also changed things as well. To that extent, he simply wants to be left alone. Unfortunately, when he catches his young next-door neighbor "Thao" (Bee Vang) attempting to steal his pristine 1972 Gran Torino, he suddenly becomes more involved in the neighborhood than he could have ever imagined. Now rather than reveal any more I will freely admit that Clint Eastwood has starred in a couple of rather weak films from time to time. Fortunately, this is not the case here as he delivers an excellent performance in this particular film. Admittedly, I didn't care for some of the language and would have liked a slightly different ending, but all things considered I consider this to be one of the better movies for that year and I have rated it accordingly.