Emergence (TV Series 2019–2020) Poster

(2019–2020)

I miss this show!
danbaig21 February 2021
I'm so angry this got canceled. It was a fantastic show & deserved better!
20 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cancelled, pretty soon we will boycott you.
ZinQ11 September 2020
I will anyway, nothing that comes out now, stays. Constant cancellations. Not one thought goes to your viewers only the state of your bank balance.
21 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loved it ! Oh, wait, it's been cancelled after one season...
permaculture-4588512 October 2020
And another good sci fi series bites the dust. Is sharknado doing well ?
19 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great original drama
muamba_eats_toast23 July 2020
So refreshing a great sci-fi drama kept me hooked from beginning to end. Great character development and story. Great pacing and was set up perfectly for season 2 such a shame it has been cancelled. Fortunately the majority of the main issues are solved by its conclusion so not to big a cliffhanger if you're worried by that. Highly recommend.
19 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
First Episode Was a Knockout
bshaef-3422927 September 2019
This episode is undoubtedly the best network (ABC,NBC, CBS) show I've seen in a long, long time. No wisecracking moms, precocious kids, kindly old grandpa, surly ex-husband, just a darn good story that woke me up and held my attention to the very end. I'm a sucker for this kind of story (unexplained aliens) and the writers played it to the hilt. Also, the actors were good. I hope this show lasts for a good long while. Its as good as anything I've seen on FX. The writers have thrown down the gauntlet, now its up to them to follow through.
112 out of 141 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is a great show!
nancy-793-2288794 August 2020
Intriguing and well acted. Had me hooked from the first episode.
8 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loved it.
denvadavies6 November 2020
Give it a few episodes to get into it as I was a little confused at first, you have pay attention. I really enjoyed it though and saddened to hear it wasn't renewed as it had a lot of potential for an interesting second season!

Allison Tolman is fantastic in this also it has to be said.
18 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
ABC coulda held on for another season...
jdluv4 October 2020
Much like Clea DuVall, Alison Tollman needs to be in a lot more than she's been given. She speaks with quirk and wit, with a rapid fire delivery only Lauren Graham used to possess. She's lovely to watch, from a beauty standard and an acting one, with an expressive face that draws you in, and keeps you captive and loving it.

Emergence could have been her takeoff, and it should have been. Here Tollman is in a heroic role and playing the everywoman. Her maternal motives are clear and never wavering on any moral angle. In fact, primarily the rest of the cast are to deal with the moral implications this show raises, while Tollman is driving the boat on nerve and emotion. It's such a treat!

The series itself, as a stand-alone season, is impressive in that it takes a concept told a hundred times and finds the other hundred ways that story could be told. This one season feels so much like three, with so much plot packed in, but the viewer is never lost or questioning why Tollman is making the decisions she is. That's a testament to the writers as well. Solid dialogue in every episode, along with great editing, keeps this jam-packed show moving at a quick pace.

It might only have enough for a one-day binge, and it might leave you absolutely yearning for more, or just more of Tollman, but Emergence is American science fiction done well, and done right.

It even goes so far as fix the Haley Joel Osment quandary from AI: how far can you stretch one child actor's wonder and innocence far enough it won't totally ruin what you're watching?

The answer: Tollman, and really good writing.
33 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
OK Computer
southdavid23 July 2020
I watched "Emergence" all the way through, on its recent run on UK TV, understanding that it was likely cancelled already, a fact that was confirmed around two thirds of the way through. If I'm honest, although I did enjoy some aspects of the story, at just thirteen episodes the premise was already stretched to breaking point.

Jo Evans (Allison Tolman) police chief of a small coastal town, responds to a crash of a light aircraft and discovers a young girl, hiding nearby, who seems to have been in the plane but is completely unharmed. She takes Piper (Alexa Swinton) back to the Station but senses something is amiss with a couple that appear to collect her. Chief Evans ends up taking Piper home, and making her part of the family, but the secrets about Piper history make a her target for several individuals and organisations.

I feel like a show like this gets made every year at the moment, high concept, expensive pilot but unable to really touch the zeitgeist enough to make a lasting impression. "Emergence" very much is that. It's alright, but nothing more - it soon became something you could watch whilst looking at your phone and not miss anything too important that you couldn't catch up and, though I won't spoil the bigger premise of the show here, as I said, I think that they had already tapped out most of the story by the season's conclusion.

The primary reason I stuck with the show though was the cast. Tolman is great, as she was in the season of "Fargo" that she did, she sparks well with Donald Faison, who plays her ex-husband and Enver Gjokaj, who joins for the second half of the run as an FBI agent. Clancy Brown is as magnificent as always as Tolman's father too.

It's just all a bit too played out, and stretched too thin to maintain much interest.
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So so good.
tmccheyne5 October 2020
It's a damn shame that this was given another two series at least. It is great. All the characters are lovely and believable. Fell in love with this family. So annoyed that I won't see them again.
11 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Superb, why cancel?
magsno13 August 2020
One of the best new syfy series for a long while. Why on earth would they cancel this? So much future eps in it and really gripping!!!!
17 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bring it back, please.
ivyonsaiho2 October 2020
So sorry to hear it has been cancelled!!! I really love the cast a lot....
24 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pleasant surprise
mstv-126-62334825 September 2019
I usually do not like tv series with convoluted conspiracy themes. However, this series is pleasant with many positive attributes. The hero is very untraditional: a white divorced woman with an African American/Canadian ex husband who looks after her father. She is also chief of the local police. There is actually a story to follow with minimum of unnecessary violence and redundant special effect. I look forward to the next episode.
61 out of 82 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good start
nancyldraper25 September 2019
(Initial impressions) I was intrigued by this show from the very first promo. Having just watched the pilot, I'm looking forward to this season. This is a SciFi mystery with a maternal centre (so if you can't suspend disbelief or if you are looking for a scientifically rational show, this may not be the show for you, but I'm holding out hope). The premise is interesting. The writing is good. The characters are have the potential for depth. Allison Tomane speaks volumes in the stillness between her words. Young Alexa Swinton is definitely holding together innocence and the unknown. I'm giving this series a preliminary 7 (good) out of 10. {SciFi Mystery}
21 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Almost Lost Me
lindashadowland9 October 2019
The first two episodes were pretty good, but also a little meandering and confusing. So I decided to give it one more shot and watched Episode 3. They've got me now. No spoilers but the real premise became clear in this episode. It brought it up from moderate to pretty excellent in one episode. In my humble opinion good syfy can be hard to find on TV series. If they haven't grabbed me by the 3rd episode I'm out. Three may seem too many to some, but I try and remember a lot of really excellent TV has started out a bit wobbly, so they get 3 chances. Try that on this one, I suspect you'll find it worthwhile.
33 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cancelled??? Nooooooo
vwvoyager22 May 2020
Figures a quality show that's interesting and they ax it. I really wanted to see where it was going.
9 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
ABC DONT SCREW THIS ONE UP
dyaeck9 October 2019
The first two episodes were the setup to make u wonder, but the third just opened the door to what could be Pandora's box. Please ABC don't give up on this one and everyone else give it a chance to let it soak in. This ones gonna be special.
55 out of 65 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
As good as I expected
AdrienneGrayceMusic2 October 2019
The previews looked really good, but the show itself was even better than the previews showed. Stop comparing this show to others. Its nothing like anything I've seen before. Its hard when a child is the lead character because the acting has to be flawless in order to keep me interested. However, the little actress who plays PIPER does just that! She plays the part wonderfully. The show has enough mystery, and action to keep me entertained and wanting more. It also has a excellent cast, which is why i can give this show 10 stars hands-down.
13 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Promising
pietclausen26 September 2019
The pilot was enjoyable and mysterious, the promise of a good and interesting plot. We will have to wait for next week to see further developments. So far, so good.

Update: Four episodes in and it's becoming more exciting and better, now qualifying for a rating of seven!
15 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Episode 3 made it all better
marclashart16 October 2019
I won't tell you why, you have to watch for yourself, but the first two episodes were ok, just ok. I would say like a 6, maybe a 6,5. Tha third episode was about a 8,5. Real improvement. No super powers, but cool science stuff. I hope they keep this up because now it is getting interesting. So give it a shot, not just for the first two episodes.
30 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Decent Sci fi show with great actors
heykateforever28 September 2019
I don't usually write reviews until I have seen at least 5 episodes of a new show. But with Allison Tolman and Owain Yeoman in it, this show knocked my socks off! Not having seen Ms. Tolman since her excellent turn in Fargo, this was a real treat for me. Both me and my husband watched the show, then we watched it again because I wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything. The story is not exactly new or fresh, but the actors are splendid and the story compelling. Also, it is a show you can watch with your kids maybe eight years and older. I can already tell it isn't preachy PC nonsense and hopefully will stay just entertainment; a show you can lose yourself in for an hour to get away from the chaos of life. I had to mark two stars down because it is so new, it's hard to say whether or not it will go off the track in future episodes.

The story is extremely interesting. A plane crash on a beach in the middle of the night. The Police Chief (Allison Tolman) goes to investigate. The only thing nor destroyed into pieces is a young girl, perhaps eight or nine years old, walking around dazed. The Chief takes the girl under her wings and brings her home. That's when we begin to realize this child is no ordinary child. Think telekinesis and disappearing people. It caught me at 100%! Now THIS is my kind of show. I will update this review later to reflect whether or not it continues to keep the excellence going. But Allison Tolman has a way about her that makes you like her a lot. I love that about her. And so far, I am loving this show. Cannot wait to watch the full season! Please check it out!
28 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great show, wrong platform
TheReel143 February 2023
Don't you hate when an amazing show goes on the wrong platform. This is actually a very good show with good characters and performance. I can see it going darker and darker but what I love is the softness and gentleness to it too. This would be so good on Netflix and Amazon then Disney. I know there isn't a season 2 but I wish there was. There is worse rubbish out there on platforms these days then this. I love all the members of the family as well. HONESTLY really good and storyline is good too. Sad to see it end but hoping someone out there gives it a chance and renews it. It wasn't ready for consumers 2 years ago but I am sure it will be now.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the most underrated shows I've seen
leahcsykes5 January 2021
There are some movies and shows out there that are undeniably brilliant. Things you see and say, "yep, that's one of my favorite shows now." Admittedly, this was not one of those shows for me. I watched it a year ago, and I was pleasantly surprised that it was good. That was it.

I recently learned that it was canceled and decided to give it a rewatch. After watching it again, I was sad. I actually really thought it was good and was surprised it hadn't gotten good reviews. So I want to put it my two cents.

Without spoiling too much, this show reminds me of stranger things, but it is absolutely a whole different game. It takes a story that is inevitably a bit complicated and plays it out over 13 episodes. The pacing in this show is some of the best, with each episode feeling like no time is wasted, and every scene we see something new or interesting.

It is absolutely one of ABC's best recent shows and even if there are one or two plot holes by the end the execution makes it well worth a watch.
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing show!
jtungsten1627 September 2019
I loved the first episode of this show! The characters are interesting and the whole look of the show is amazing. Definitely the best new show of the fall.
24 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Finally something other than a reality or a tear jerker on TV!
calibnv25 September 2019
First of all let's get this out of the way, reviewers who said this is like Stranger Things, need to rewatch Stranger Things. No preteens running around towns. No get a long gangs hiding out in their treehouse.

This show does bring into the premise of something weird is happening, but with anything else that's pretty much the start of a good mystery. What I like so far is that they are not trying to force feed you the plot or it's characters. From the start the flow of the show is on point, it drags you in and gives you many small parts to keep you intrigue, and then throws in a small twist and at the same time, the heroine feels real, not just placing another sex sale character in a sheriff outfit. This show has a lot of potential and I hope they get in more depth on each subcharacters, not just the main ones. Finally something to watch that doesn't require a tissue or fake reality love!
76 out of 103 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.