Jingle Jangle: A Christmas Journey (2020) Poster

Lighten up...it's magical!
Tvandesteeg15 November 2020
Grab the family, get comfy & enjoy great singing, acting, sets, & animation. The people that rated this low apparently need more movies like this in their lives. It was beautiful, clean and added a bit of magic & belief which is what we all need this Christmas. Wonderfully over the top - I highly recommend watching!!
174 out of 239 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A treat for your eyes and your soul.
and_shove_it_up_your_butt14 November 2020
What a magical movie!!! The colors!! The costumes!!! The singing!!! The sets!!!! The magic!!! It's a cross between The Wiz and Greatest Showman. I enjoyed every minute and will surely watch Jingle Jangle every Christmas holiday going forward right alongside Polar Express and Elf.

Jingle Jangle is such a pure, heartfelt movie. You will enjoy it.
167 out of 248 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Cinematic Spectacle
lamkin-8987214 November 2020
Far beyond the usual Netflix Hallmark-style Christmas films, this one is high budget and very well produced. The musical numbers are fantastic and the costume design is marvellous. It's a tad cheesy and more than a little absurd, but the plot is solid and it's very charming.
89 out of 130 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I cried my eyes out
sparou14 November 2020
I am a sucker for a good Christmas film, and a good underdog story. This one hit all the right notes. Yes, there are tooth-achingly cheesy moments-what would a good Christmas film be without those? But more importantly, when this movie hits your heartstrings, it really hits HOME. I was sobbing in the best, happy-cry way at multiple points, and when everything ties up with a bow at the end, it feels so truly well-earned. This captures the real meaning of Christmas-it's definitely going on the once-a-year Christmas film rotation.
127 out of 191 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What is wrong with all the haters? It's lovely
EmoEl22 November 2020
Some people just have to spew hate but don't believe them. This is a WONDERFUL ADDITION to my list of 'watch every year' holiday movies with LOVELY ORIGINAL MUSIC and fun dancing. The cast's musical talent is off the charts and I love that it shows little girls as brilliant, and mathematical. I am so happy for my two young grand-daughters to have Journey to identify with.
99 out of 155 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Magical Christmas Musical
pingalingo14 November 2020
Such a magical uplifting Christmas movie. Music elements make it even better. Just what is needed at this special time of year. Great cast, great acting, lovely story, great music, brilliant dancing and that extra touch of magic.
79 out of 131 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Negative Reviews Are People with NO Imagination
musicalfreakgurl24 November 2020
I went in blind with this movie. I didn't watch the trailer. And I was pleasantly surprised. I love musicals hence my name. I adored some of the songs in the movie. The STORYLINE is EASY to follow if you pay attention. The people giving it negative reviews must be ADHD or just plain miserable and unimaginative. How can you say Felicia Rashad is crappy actor? What about Forrest Whittaker? Come on now. They are film veterans, y'all need to go back to bed and get back in on the right side.

The story essentially is about family and believing in yourself when all hope is lost. The impossible is POSSIBLE if you have faith in your ability. And don't forget to ask for help when you need it the most! How hard is that to follow? Don't listen to the negative people!

Watch it for yourself. Absolutely fantastical and purely for people with hearts!
73 out of 127 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Jingle Jangle all day y'all!!!
treakle_197821 November 2020
What a great Christmas musical comedy!! Filled with great performances, songs, characters, cinematography and direction. Definitely worth a look!!

Tim Treakle
46 out of 79 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Broadway production plus the magic of CGI and filmmaking
trinaboice13 November 2020
IN A NUTSHELL: This jubilant movie is a breath of fresh air. If you love musicals, you'll love this. If you don't, step away. It feels like a colorful Broadway stage play but it's even better because of the magic of technology and filmmaking. The movie was written and directed by David E. Talbert featuring a mostly African-American cast. It's not the typical Christmas show, but it will definitely get you in the mood for magic and wonder. Thank you to Netflix for saving 2020 with all of the awesome content this year and for inviting me to screen this movie early!

TIPS FOR PARENTS: This is entirely family-friendly entertainment. Yay! Little girls, especially, are going to love this. When your kids have a hard time with math, just remind them about the "square root of possible."

THEMES: "We wait for no tomorrows!" - Don Juan Diego (Ricky Martin) "The square root of impossible is the possible in me!" - Journey ( Madalen Mills) Obstacles Possibilities Be who you're meant to be "If you believe, it's all possible." - Grandmother (Phylicia Rashad)

THINGS I LIKED: The musical score by John Debney is spirited with fun variety. I don't know if little girls around the world will stop singing songs from Frozen 2 but these songs are really sweet. Every singer in the cast blew my socks off. The songs perfectly fit the scenes and feel like they belong to the story. The lively singing and energetic dancing are delightful. It reminded me of the joyful movie The Greatest Showman , which is quite a compliment because I absolutely love that movie. The talented cast includes charismatic performances by Forest Whitaker, Keegan-Michael Key, Hugh Bonneville, Phylicia Rashad, Justin Cornwell, Anika Noni Rose, and even Ricky Martin! Madalen Mills is absolutely adorable and fantastic. Her voice is pure and she's definitely got some acting chops that will surely grant her a great future in films. Do I smell Disney in her future? Who else wants Phylicia Rashad to be their grandmother? Yes, please. I thought the toy matador was so fun and I wanted to see more of him. He's voiced by none other than Ricky Martin! I love how the live-action movie was intertwined with animation. There is a cute snowball fight scene that used local business owners and shops as Extras in Norwich, England where the scene was filmed. Charming set design and production. I didn't know Keegan-Michael Key or Forest Whitaker could sing! Wow! Nice! Forest Whitaker actually sings three times! John Legend recorded the song "This song" and stated, "As a father, I jumped at the chance to be involved with a holiday film that's both inspirational and inclusive, a film with a great message where my kids can see themselves reflected on the screen." He wrote some of the other songs and produced the film as well. Some really great CGI. The costume design by Michael Wilkinson is extremely vibrant and detailed with fun touches. Keep watching during the closing credits for some more cute images that match the job titles of the crew.

THINGS I DIDN'T LIKE: The lips don't always quite match the singing. All of the songs are good but they're not all memorable. Some cheesy, overacted, cliched moments. It's hard to tell where the story is supposed to take place...USA? Europe? England? The new toy toward the end of the movie looks an awful lot like Wall-E. There are a LOT of plots crammed into the story.

FUNNY LINES: * "You can throw roses at my feet later." - Don Juan Diego (Ricky Martin)

"Ok, back to me!" - Don Juan Diego (Ricky Martin) "Well, you hurry back as slowly as you can." - (Forest Whitaker)

INTERESTING LINES: "It's not stealing when you borrow indefinitely." - Don Juan Diego (Ricky Martin) "What makes you think you can get it work?" - Edison Latimer (Kieron Dyer) "Because there's nothing that says I can't." - Journey (Madalen Mills) "The magic isn't just in what you've lost. It's in what you still have." - Ms. Johnston (Lisa Davina Phillip) "A child with an imagination always belongs." - Jeronicus (Forest Whitaker "Never be afraid of what you can see. Only be afraid if you no longer see it." - Jeronicus (Forest Whitaker)

You can see the rest of my review on my Movie Review Mom YouTube channel and website
65 out of 120 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pretty aesthetics, but very mediocre story
patrick00000011115 November 2020
It looks pretty and feels magical, but thats about it. The movie seems to want to check to many boxes at once and ends up forgetting to do the most important thing: be a good story. The story is rushed and not unique, the personalities feel completely fabricated and dialogs unrealistic. This movie is probably fun for very young children, but thats about it
128 out of 249 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Magical Christmas movie
BlueIrisDaisy22 November 2020
Absolutely wonderful Christmas movie. The costumes and sets are just stunning, brilliant actors and singing, the songs and choreography catchy and entertaining without being cheesy. Lovely cosy colourful movie to watch at any age.
30 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A very good movie!
thijsottens21 November 2020
I love this movie!! So much Christmas magic and a beautiful story!! Yes i cried too
34 out of 59 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Incredible!
a_emmons1314 November 2020
This was incredible! The story was so good, whether you're a kid or adult. Ignore what others say about trying too hard.
51 out of 94 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just lovely
toalaj14 November 2020
Great story line. Great actors. Beautiful staging with eye popping colors. Amazing singing and wonderful songs. Broadway on TV! I loved it. Not quite a Christmas movie, but What a great way to start the holiday season.
51 out of 94 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Kids fell asleep... 2 hours is just too long
cruzarts-7394616 November 2020
Looks amazing, sounds fantastic; and the costumes are nothing short of glorious. But this film needs to head back to the cutting room and loose about 30 minutes.

with John Legend as producer, it's no surprise that the voices are impressive. The musical numbers and choreography top notch.

The combination of digital animation and live action is seamless.

But this film feels heavy and by the end of it, we were carrying kids to bed.
78 out of 150 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
LOVED THIS MOVIE!
sue-carbonaro13 November 2020
I just adored this movie from start to finish. I'm a huge fan of stage musicals and this definitely gave me a stage-musical feel all the way. The story's very heart-warming and I the message in it is even better - nothing's impossible when you believe it can be done. We lose so much of this feeling when we grow up that we most often lose our way and this clearly demonstrated this belief. Back to the film though - the sets were absolutely breath-taking, the music was fantastic and uplifting, the singing was truly awesome and the dancing was exceptional - the cast was fabulous too - it was a breath of fresh air to see such a fabulously diverse cast.

Overall, this is one movie that will remain a favourite of mine for years and years to come <3
63 out of 119 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I loved it so much I cried
jamietambor13 November 2020
Every moment of this movie was incredibly enjoyable to watch. From the set to the costumes and the wonderful actors. I had a smile on my face the entire time.
47 out of 87 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hallmark found dead in a ditch.
eelen-seth13 November 2020
The diversity and talent of the cast and dancers, in combination with stunning production design, original animated transitions and world-building make Jingle Jangle the Christmas musical-fantasy classic unlike any other. Wow, David E. Talbert, wow.
60 out of 116 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Visually stunning but trying waaaaay too hard
darthsteele-3933813 November 2020
Children and most adults will probably love this film. It's got everything but in my opinion a little too much of everything. If you enjoy the greatest showman then you will recognize the similar music and choreography right off the bat. For me this movie is way too sugary, over the top and cliche without any real sincerity.
129 out of 267 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Jingle jumble
mweaver-1040120 November 2020
This is a jumble of movies you've already seen. It's Wonder Imporium meets short circuit meets Christmas carol meets polar express. It has beautiful sets and a good cast but it's just a thrown together fruitcake of played out themes.
98 out of 200 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Visually amazing, but lacking....
wschafer8129 November 2020
The costumes, hair, sets all AMAZING! I liked the story and premise too. The child actors are great, Journey and Edison. The songs however....torturous to sit through. I actually had to fast forward through many of them. They are not catchy nor inspiring. They actually take away from the movie. They should have cut 50% or more of them and shortened the movie to 90 minutes. The movie is over 2hrs long. I found myself pausing it several times and going and doing other things it was so hard to sit through.
50 out of 97 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
All shimmer, no shine
actaction5 December 2020
In the filmmaker's want to create a universe, he neglected the plot (ie what happens in said universe). There's a lot going for the film: some amazing singing, toe-tapping lyrics, some good choreography, dazzling cinematography, set design, editing. You can tell they really tried to make something special and had no limits to get it. That, though is likely the problem. Limits make creatives cunning and conservative with their resources, it leads to re-writes & redesigns & trimming of the fat. Here, you can tell it has no limits and thus an inexperienced filmmaker is let loose, you can hardly blame him for not grounding the idea in originality or complexity. This is obviously a simple child's tale, there's no problem there. Nobody expected this to be The King and I or Sound of Music in subtext, but the characters too often stop everything to sing a full song, when that song has little to do with furthering their character or the plot. When it does, the plot inches forward in a very slow, predictable and tired way. There is more fun when the young cast is going on then when we flash forward. At least the young brooding toy maker has a Phantom of the Opera darkness that is fun and matches well against the bright Christmas backdrop. However, as soon as we go to the later times CGI characters, not unlike the plastic ones in the early days of cinema (90's Flubber or Small Soldiers comes to mind), take over the direction of the scene but aren't likable enough to care about nor dislikable enough to care about either. They are flat, the whole film falls flat, is hollow, too simple for a mega spectacle. It reminded me of the terrible La La Land, in which everybody in Hollywood thought was brilliant, but my family and I kept waiting for it get started, unable to engage with. I love that they have an all black cast, black filmmakers... totally about time to do so... but this film wasn't the right one to invest in creatively. The production was up to being the best Christmas movie of the season, but the story and delivery simply didn't deserve the attention. I hope Netflix and other continue to invest in black cinema, just with better scripts & more interesting deep characters... even in a musical, even for kids, this fell flat.
12 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So torn!
Gilmoregirl-5934027 November 2020
The first and last 15 minutes were wonderful. The opening number was so promising and it went downhill from there. I adore Christmas movies, but this started dragging 20 minutes in until nearly the end.

I did LOVE the representation and choreography and costuming and sets. But the story and Pace totally lost me-they should've shortened it and cut some songs. It had so much potential to be much better.
25 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Too much and not enough
sigurdhoeyan16 November 2020
Feels like netflix wanted a bunch of things in this movie, but this resulted in little time for each keyword. There was no time appreciating any relationship and decisions. When the characters lack motivation and logic as well the movie becomes lackluster.
72 out of 150 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fantastic sets.....terrible script....terrible music
nwsts15 November 2020
I'm not a fan of musicals, but I can give 10 stars if done right, like Frozen. On the plus side, this one does have the best sets I've seen in a long time and Forest Whitaker does a great job with his character. But the dialog and story are very weak and the songs are not inspiring at all. If I had it to do over again I'd skip this movie.
100 out of 218 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.