The Walking Dead (TV Series 2010– ) Poster

(2010– )

1,279 Reviews
Ever since Negan its going downhill
kythia13 November 2017
This show used to be good, very personal, sometimes a bit melodramatic, but always filled with strong characters and interesting story arcs.

However, ever since the Negan plot started, this has changed. Built up as a super villain who radiates domination, he instead turned out to be a harmless rocker who switches between "nice uncle from next door" to "bat swinging psycho killer" whenever the script demands it.

Negan was supposed to surpass the Governour in terms of cruelty and malice, but in my opinion he doesn't even get close. The Governour had charisma, style, and above all, a real reason for all his experiments; his daughter. We still don't know why or how Negan came to be.

Season 6 was full of chest-pounding and inevitably doomed plotting by the heroes, but it was still fun to watch them descend into mass murder. Especially Carol had incredibly intense moments.

Season 7, after the reveal of Negan, turned out to be a super slow recuperation with the nice uncle coming over for spaghetti. They tried to show how he controls his people with rules and by burning them and so on, but overall it was a super tame story with "Soon(TM)" all over it.

Instead of fixing that in season 8, they now bury the show in one action episode after another. And its not the somewhat smart action we saw in earlier seasons, but 80's style A-Team nonsense action. Cars are bullet sponges, ammo is thrown around like its World War II, a .50 caliber machine gun mows down 50 people with ease but can't hit one dude in a Jeep, and there is no stopping to all the shooting. Even when people are having a quiet moment to talk, you hear often hear shooting in the background.

We rarely have those epic Daryl moments anymore, Rick has become a a hollow shell of a leader, Carl seems to be on vacation. Several other iconic characters were lost and have been replaced with cardboard gunmen.

The Walking Dead needs to stop playing World War Z, cease its nation building, and return to what made it great. Everyday survival by interesting characters in a hostile world.
299 out of 370 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
From Zombies and horror to Steven Seagal and guns.
contact-7667618 November 2017
I've been watching this since 2010. I LOVE zombie movies. Dawn of The Dead is my favorite. Back in the early 2000 there were several great zombie movies. Nowadays they are awful. More guns, empty characters, and explosions plus bad scripts than anything else. How in the world TWD transformed into a Steven Seagal movie? I remember the beginning was so thrilling … suspenses, a story, characters that you cared about, scary zombies. But after season 3 or 4 everything turned into guns and people fighting people. Cheap scripts, retarded dialogues, poor CGI. Take any episode from season 4 on and you can broadcast it on a cheap TV station as "action" movie. No one would tell the difference.

Right now you cannot care about any character. Bad actors that play as much as the trees in the background die by the dozen by each episode. Flashbacks and "emotional" (dumb) dialogues want to make us care about someone. But you can't. Zombies do not matter anymore, only rarely when they suddenly matter. It is either this image of them as "pests" most of the time, or lethal killers out of a sudden. I am sick of watching a cheap action movie that has nothing to do with a zombie movie. A zombie movie was a zombie movie because of the thriller surrounding this worldwide catastrophe of people turning into these creepy and horror things. That was the MAIN factor. TWD has nothing to do with that anymore.

If TWD would have kept 4-5 main characters and presented their struggle to live in this horror world full of zombies, then that could have been a great series. But even that has to stop. The only reason TWD continues is money. That's all. They make more money off the show. Why do you think the action happens in forests and zombies are mainly seen in packs from distance? Because it is cheap. No need to pay for shooting in a town and pay for complex CGI, a forest is perfect.

So. I loved this series but now I think it is the cheapest garbage out there. Honestly I don't care what happens anymore so I'll finally give up. Last episode "Some Guy" did it for me. I just could not bare anymore. I don't care who dies, who lives, because there is no story, no character, nothing intelligent about this series, nothing to watch.

Garbage.
415 out of 539 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bring back Frank Darabont
RedMars201725 October 2017
As Season 8 begins, this has gone from 10/10 to 1/10. Terrible. Absolutely terrible.

I was hooked on Walking Dead for its first 5 seasons. It was some of the bravest drama on television. It wasn't afraid to kill off main characters when their deaths heightened the drama.

Then came seasons 6 and 7 and suddenly it morphed into The 100 With Zombies. and now on the pilot ep of S8, it's become as badly written and inconsistent as Fear The Walking Dead. That takes some doing. Self-sabotage? I'm not sure, but surely some of the cast must read these scripts and think, "WTF has happened to this show?"

For two seasons now, intelligent characters have done dumb things. Negan has been bulletproof. Rick can shoot a zombie at 100 metres, but can't shoot Negan with a machine gun at 10m.

Zombies now just walk past fallen people. The priest was never in ANY danger. In S1-5, he would have been eaten alive.

This episode has THE MOST COMPLICATED plan - of luring hundreds of zombies for miles toward the Saviors' hideout - when they could have just used guns.

Bullets are in short supply, but that doesn't stop the good guys wasting thousands of them shooting at a building.

Negan is now a bullet-proof cartoon villain who spouts poorly-written T shirt slogans to bore people off the idea of shooting him. Even the Priest, armed with a rifle, can't be bothered to aim it. Despite being brave enough to escape a zombie hoard, the priest is now frozen with fear as Negan steps out of the shadows.

Rick's dream sequence! Why are we now relying on dream sequences to instill some mystery into the drama? You could add a laugh track to that dream sequence of Rick waking up as an old man it wouldn't seem out of place on Saturday Night Live.

TERRIBLE. Another 15 episodes of this. To think what it used to be and what it has become.
152 out of 195 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Show is dead.
deckblack28 February 2018
Since season 7 the show has slipped in the trash. The writers are just idiots.
238 out of 311 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
They killed this show...
szeregowieclucas13 February 2018
I use to be big fan of this show. I really liked seasons 1-6 but last good episode I have seen was s07e01 since then it is more and more boooooring...All season eight so far (I'm on s08e08) is just terrible. It's barely watchable to be honest. The Walking Dead have so much potential...it is very sad to witness what they done to it and how it is being murdered now.
216 out of 291 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Adios TWD!
manolo-webmaster12 December 2016
They've lost me, the producers have lost me. How many times can they recycle the same plot? This is no longer humanity vs zombies, this is humans vs humans with a unnecessary dose of violence and twisted psyche, all for the sake of maintaining ratings and milking the cash cow. The writers creativity have been depleted for a few seasons now, there has been no direction, no gradual learning, no story development. All the physical moving around is just the illusion of story to mask the fact that there isn't a story being told at all. The show isn't going anywhere. I have stopped watching, and I feel liberated from this burden of a show. TWD has slowly decomposed into a gross, unintelligent TV show. Who keeps making gas, electricity... but then there's no radio communication... What happened to the military, the government, smart people, common sense... I understand the appeal for certain demographics, but I, for once, demand more from entertainment than this garbage, good bye!!!
325 out of 444 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
review for season 8
christopoulospan14 November 2017
Something is wrong with season 8. The walking dead is my favourite TV show but first 4 episodes could be just 1episode or half! Even images/photography and atmosphere look different...its like there is another director or something cheap .Writing is silly and boring...Negan,one of the most interest vilain, they manage to make him seem boring. I don't know maybe they decide to take it really slow but is not good idea. And doesn't look nice also..
133 out of 183 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's dead
thomasgreuel28 October 2017
I suppose it still has a lot of fans, but TWD has become incredibly dull and boring. Some reasons:

The objective is to kill Negan. In every episode there are dozens of opportunities. He hands over his bat to his enemies, multiple times his enemies are having him at gunpoint. Not even his own people like him, in fact one of his lieutenants states that they want him dead and that he is just one person. Yet they create elaborate plans because people forget to pull the trigger at the right time or they only bring one bullet to a fight. It's painful to watch.

The characters are dull. You don't care for any of them. Even if Rick died I would not give a damn. There is no one I really root for or sympathize with. I guess Daryl is still cool (because he is mostly silent), but even the superbad Michonne is now in a relationship, minding the children. No more zombies on a leash.

Great ideas being wasted: So there is this cool armored, spiked zombie that Rick has to fight. Awesome. How would you do it? You show the thing. You show its power and have people talk about how dangerous he is (maybe he used to be a pro wrestler). You let one of Rick's group fight it and lose spectacularly. You bring out Rick. He shudders, is about to lose but then turns things around and triumphs because Rick is superman. How do they do it? Rick dances around this thing a little bit, pierces his own hand on its spiked head (who needs hands, in the comics he only has one anyway), then Michonne suggests throwing garbage at it. Rick throws some pillows. Monster falls. Victory. Underwhelming.

Absurd ideas. Two words: CGI tiger.

After how many years zombies still move without feeding? Bullets and fuel are infinite. Most food still comes from finding cans.

Characters' roles change without reason. Eugene was always the most useless person in the group. But in season 7 he switches sides and suddenly becomes the science mastermind who gets things done.

It's awfully crowded. There are so many groups now in a 30 mile radius: Alexandria, Kingdom, Hilltop, Saviours, Garbage People, Women in the Woods. Rick and Michonne even stumble upon some golfers.

Stormtrooper gun training - in the final gunfight they all shoot at each other from short distance for minutes. Many without any cover. Yet no one in the group is seriously harmed.

Talk is cheap - and that's why they do it so much. It seems they had one idea in season 7. Kill two major characters. The rest was just chatting.

The worst things about Negan are his monologues. Please, no more. Just give me the bat to the head.
155 out of 217 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What a shame!
sadotay6 March 2018
When The Walking Dead first began, it was an overwhelming experience. A great show which kept me on my toes, always craving more. Several other people I know were following it and loving it too. That lasted till about the beginning of the sixth season. The last couple of seasons have been absolute crap. The scenarios and situations have become a lot dumber, the pace has become a lot slower, the characters have become a lot less credible, and the acting has deteriorated considerably. I continued to watch it hoping that it would somehow manage to resume expressing the quality which it had produced in the first few seasons, but at this point I am no longer expecting it to actually become worth my time and attention anymore. I've been literally dragging myself onwards for at least a couple of seasons now. They had created a gem of a show and then they managed to ruin it and turn it into real low quality mediocre garbage. What a shame!
73 out of 103 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Please kill them all and end the (viewers) suffering
isto-vilhola-872-32289627 February 2018
Season 8 reviewes have been around 6.5 and it's generous. I really liked first 4 seasons but then happened something. The storyline became ridicilous "Bold and Beautiful" - type show. Today this is one of the worst shows in television. And it seems they are gonna run another year!?!! I'm starting to hate the actors and all this is not their fault. Please let all characters die NOW.
127 out of 186 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
2018 review
martinm-0434020 March 2018
I used to like this and watched all episodes until season 7, every new season characters seemed to become dumber and dumber with each episode. plot being constantly recycled - killed 1 bad guy, only to be replaced with another bad guy. their resources seem to be endless - whos making all the gas/ammo/food all the time? what about the virus that creates zombies? everything seems to be forced in this show and just made to randomly fill in blank pages with some nonsense for next episode and to milk as much money as possible from a clearly dying series.
80 out of 114 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An all-out bore season finale:
glenndonnelley-9881310 April 2017
The Walking Dead has reached an all-time low. I can't even express in words how disappointed I am with the season finale. It is without doubt the worst season finale we have seen to-date: absolutely nothing happened, nothing! How on earth did it take Negan 50 minutes to get to Rick's front door?! And, not only did nothing happen, but it rendered the entire season a complete waste of time. Episode after episode, we watched Rick salvage supplies and weapons for this attack; only to see such an anticlimactic ending. It was absolutely pathetic! It's easy to see why the rating for this show are the lowest they have been in five seasons! People are so sick to death of being jerked around, episode after episode... If this is how their first attack against the Saviours was always going to end, it could have happened 5 or 6 episodes into the season. It's so disappointing! I used to love this show. It was once the best show on TV, hands down. What happened? It peaked, and now its slowly dying a horrible and painful death, and destroying its cult following. I wouldn't even give the Walking Dead 3 (out of 10) stars now. It's become so mind numbing boring, it's hurting my head. It's seriously circling the drain. Rick spent half a season preparing for this fight, only to be is betrayed by the Scavengers. The second after it happened, I thought, WTF?! Two steps forward and another ten steps back. This is what this show has become now… The season finale could have made up for the entire season, but instead, it was worse than the season itself. And, tell me, what's going to happen in the next episode: Negan is going to walk in again and take all their guns – again – which will put us right back at square one. So did anything happen this season? NO. Could the Walking Dead get any worse? I DON'T THINK SO. Are people losing faith in this show? YES! JUST READ THE REVIEWS ONLINE. Even my girlfriend, who is a hard core fan, tuned out half way through the season finale... The series has become so boring now, it needs to end before it becomes the worst shows on TV. From seasons 2-5, every episode finished on such an amazing cliff-hanger, and you had no recourse but to watch the next and the next and the next, and so on. Now, it's so far beyond redemption, I'm done!! I thought the Walking Dead crashed and burned over 2 seasons ago, but I held in there, hoping against hope, it would make a bounce back but all I have experienced is utter shame and disappointment! My loyalty to the Walking Dead, only stretches so far, and I have reached mine.

I feel all the series has done, is pumped up the Saviours so much, when in reality, their nothing more than pussycats. They're not nothing interesting. They're not impressive. They're not even scary. They're just bullies; like I haven't seen that a million times on TV before. There the most uninteresting villains we have seen in the Walking Dead to-date. Moreover, Rick should be able to eat Negan for breakfast, after taking out the Governor and the Terminus Cannibals, Negan is nothing more than a wimp compared to them – but instead, we're objected to extremely bad writing, with no end in sight, when the stars of the show should be the Wolves. I feel it's the equivalent of Rick taking out the Avengers, bring down the Justice League, only to be brought down by Gargamel and the Smurfs. I don't even put the Saviours in the same league as Rick; well, the Rick we loved before season 5. The Wolves on the other hand, they could have been Rick's match. Their deranged, intelligent, psychotic, completely insane, reckless, with the blood lust of a serial killer, and their all-out terrifying – these are the villains we want to see in a zombie apocalypse. Instead, we're forced to watch a bunch of hillbillies, who run around, thinking their hot sh*t; all held together by Negan, who should be dead like 10 times over by now. Like recently for example, Sasha and Rosita had a sniper rifle and a nice cozy spot outside Negan's front door. All they had to do – is wait, patiently – for a nice, clean shot to kill him. They had all the time in the world. No one knew they were there, they could have camped there for the next month, but instead, they gave it like 2 minutes, and then decided to charge in like fools to get themselves killed; and worse yet – Sasha then decides to kill herself… You don't come that far in a zombie apocalypse only to check now. Any arguments against this point is only encouraging bad writing – it's as simple as that. It would have made more sense for Negan to have just killed her, and enhanced his profile as a villain…

And, finally, the all main characters (Rick, Michonne, Daryl, Carol, etc.) have all gotten soft or old – victory against the Governor and the Terminus Cannibals has defeated them. There not even the same characters anymore. They're not tough. They're even cool anymore. They're completely lost their edge... it's like I have tuned into a random episode of the Road-runner, and he is being picked apart by Wild Coyote, and thinking, what happened? Up until now, Rick and his team have worked as a single unit – they've been strong, sharp, surgical, organized, and above-all deadly... But ever since their meet the Saviours, they've been stumbling around like idiots. Negan hasn't even seen a glimpse of what Rick is capable of yet, and he always seems to catch Rick with his pants down. You know, enough is enough… Get your sh*t together people…
129 out of 190 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Zzzzzzzzzombies.
neilcrossland24 October 2017
At the conclusion of the 1st episode of series 8, the enthusiastic TV link lady said "Well. Wasn't that worth the wait!". Well. Actually, no it was not. I've done with TWD. No more. Enough! The dream sequences. Eh??? Awful. And how many more golden opportunities to kill Negan are going to present themselves And weren't the combined groups reduced to having a gun and bullet count in series 7. All of a sudden they've got 1000's of rounds to squander. And squander them they did, because they didn't get any of the saviours as far as I could see. Incredibly dumb and dull.
86 out of 124 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Getting through season 7 was a nightmare!
ednk21 April 2017
I was such a fan of this series. Season 1 with the opening scene from Rick in the hospital and meeting the first zombie. Epic TV!

But like all good shows, the fun get's out of it pretty soon. It was like in season 3 that the boring and dreadful story telling became more and more visible. Getting through season 7 was really tiresome. I actually gave it up almost.

I didn't read the comics or the books, so I can't tell you if the series is portrayed very close to the original. But I can say that the endless dreading of certain plots feels like the episodes of Lost (older series).

Also the characters have evolved in a not so good way. In season 7 it feels like everybody is reading his script from a board standing next to the camera. And the endless, endless talking of the character Negan. Don't get me started on that failure. Always trying to make tension and telling who cruel he will be, but almost never anything happens. Disregarding some scenes with killing of characters.

I'm sorry, I think I'm off the show now. I'll watch the trailer for season 8 and maybe look into the first episode, but then it has to change it's pace and better story telling.

Last, but not least, another series going down the drain after a couple of seasons. Too bad (again).
75 out of 109 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My honest perception
danv8020027 August 2011
So after reading the review "An honest perception" I felt like I needed to write my own review. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. However, that being said I have to disagree with the reviewer.

So here are the reasons I like the show.

First, character development, this is not usually a very big trait in the Zombie genre. If you only watched 3 episodes, this is a big part of what you watched. They take the time to give you a slight background of the characters, a chance for you to get to know them. For those of us that are big fans of the Zombie genre it gave us a chance to think "Who would I be?" in this situation.

Second, the story doesn't follow a straight line. This was a point of contention in the other review. I personally like the multiple story lines. It keeps things interesting and keeps it from becoming a boring show where I can foresee how everything is going to turn out. And before anyone says it…YES I know this is based off a graphic novel. I haven't read it and will refrain from reading it for a while.

Third, the zombies look and act pretty bad ass. The make up is done great, not a bunch of CGI which is so common in today's world. So anyway…if you aren't a fan of the zombie genre to begin with then yeah, you probably aren't going to get why so many of us love the show. However, I think most fans of the genre will love this show.

So in closing, for those of us who love the genre, It's a weekly dose of zombie apocalypse.

For those that aren't fans of the genre, when the zombie apocalypse happens and you don't know what to do…don't come crying to me and my friends…you'll just slow us down.

On second thought…you may come in handy in case we need to make a hasty retreat…
357 out of 576 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Even if you think you do not like this genre WATCHTHIS
arizonamatt127 October 2012
I only recently was talked into watching the first episode by my Daughter as I avoid the Undead, Ghost, Vampire genre. I was blown away! I could not stop watching and had to get EVERY episode! They made 6 episodes year 1 and about 12 year 2, at 42 minutes an episode the entire year 1&2 run time is around 12 hours total and COULD RUN AS ONE 12 HOUR MOVIE, and you would still not wanna leave for popcorn. The end of each episode left me dying for the next one, The writing is incredible, the character development amazing and don't suppose you know who will live or die here cause you will have no idea. The quality makes it seem as if all other series are quaint and boring. I find myself thinking about the next episode every day. VERY WATCHABLE; VERY ENTERTAINING; GREAT GREAT SERIES!!
375 out of 608 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What happened?
dinolitonjua28 November 2017
My true rating started with 10, then by season 6 - an 8, then the seasons after...2

I thoroughly enjoyed this show from the beginning until Negan showed up, and to lose one of the most enjoyable character was devastating. I'm not sure what exactly happened, but it just turned a 180 to absolute stupidity for all casts. I can't even stand any of them anymore. I cringe at the thought of this show. From the love I had at the beginning to hate, yes hate...from season 7 and up.

There has be numerous amounts of time Negan could have been taken down, hurt, killed. But it seems that the show just wants him to talk, talk, talk, talk, talk, talk...blah blah blah (stretch out the show writers, stretch it out). And for all the other casts, "what do we do? what do we do?"

They have stretched out this series for far too long, and it shows with horrible writing, battles/deaths, and new uninteresting characters. The show has become an insult to my intelligence. I have no love for any character at this point and hope they would all die, except for perhaps Daryl.

There is nothing more they can do to revive this show, even after and finally killing off Negan. I mean, I can't even imagine how they would bring back an interesting story. Most of all the strong characters are dead. The smart one's? well...there's really not much there...anymore.

I feel this show should end here, season 8. Goodbye, you've had a good run, but not good enough.
59 out of 87 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wake up AMC, season 8 is terrible!
dcmarin19 March 2018
Snooze fest. This show used to be great now it's....NOT. What s disappoint.
56 out of 83 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best new series 2010?
hbg_kille22 October 2010
First heard about this show a few weeks back. Since I love zombie-movies I had to see what this was all about. At first glimpse I was a little skeptic, but the trailer convinced me otherwise.

I just watched the first episode and it matches all my expectations and MORE! I loved movies like Dawn of the Dead(new version), 28 days/weeks later, I Am Legend etc. This series is just like that, it's zombies/monsters but still very realistic.

The way the plot is presented is very entertaining, but not very surprising. The acting is top-notch and very believable. A drawback with TV-series is that the effects are usually quite tacky. However, here it's quite the opposite. Everything looks very realistic and honestly quite disgusting, in a good way.

I can't wait to watch the next episode!
520 out of 866 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Superb. It's about time
kidgloves30 October 2010
Lets get this out of the way straight away THIS WILL BLOW PEOPLES SOCKS OFF. Im not kidding. I know people here are attracted to this genre for various different reasons but i'd like to think we all share some connection when zombies are involved. For me its the post apocalyptic scenario. I don't particularly need the gore element but it has its place when used well.

In Darabonts take on the apocalypse, you are there. The world is dead and rotting. The military have lost the battle. You wake up with Rick in this new world and get to explore it with him. Its the exposition of the pilot that will probably put the gorehounds off and lead to some small criticism from others. Personally, i want to see that. I want to know how society responded to the phenomenon.

Those who have read the comic books here know that Kirkmans trick is to get you attached to the characters, like you know them intimately, then kill them off. Here Darabont uses the same trick but not how you would expect nor with who you would expect.

Im personally invested in this series already. God knows what it will do to the average TV viewer. Im also not a particularly emotional person but i don't mind admitting that i was close to tears on a couple of occasions. There you go. I've said it. Just don't tell anyone.

I cant say enough about Frank darabont after watching this. He understands what this genre is all about and, more importantly, he understands Romero's zombie world. The zombies are Roamers and lurkers. They act how they should and you do feel sorry for them. This is explored really well. They are a small threat but in groups all riled up and hungry. Well, you know the rest.

The score is also outstanding. Very understated but poignant. The cinematography is worthy of a movie and the camera moves a lot. I cant recall any shaky cam which some people here seem to despise.

Kirkman, Darabont and AMC have come up with the series we have been waiting years for. Long may it continue, and you know what? I think it will. The balance is perfect between a horror film, TV show and intelligent drama.

Oh and btw. Keep getting people onboard with this. Co workers. Non zombie lover friends. Anyone. They wont think you're weird. They'll thank you. The Lost crowd are going to lap this up.
584 out of 977 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
You wouldn't judge a boxers entire career on his last two fights
stevenrotherforth1 November 2017
The Walking Dead

I think the title of this review sums up TWD pretty accurately. What started out as a decent prospect then worked its way up through the ranks to become TV show champion of the world. But the last few seasons for me became slow, predictable and lacked the punch that the earlier seasons would week after week knock you out with. Like an aging boxer this show doesn't really know where to go and what to do anymore. So it keeps trying to do what it did in its youth but to lesser effect. Is it time to hang up those gloves?

For anyone unfamiliar with the story TWD is about a group of people trying survive a zombie apocalypse. What becomes apparent is that you should fear the dead but fear the living even more. It's dog eat dog, or in most cases human eating human. Survival of the fittest. While the show started out very promising and over its eight seasons developed a bunch of characters that you will truly begin to care for, the show seems to have lost its way and has become almost as clumsy as the dithering dead that walk the Earth. During the shows entire run ( I'm currently watching season eight as I write this) there has been some truly magnificent television. Some great storytelling, nail biting, riveting moments that shocked.

Characters come and go and the long run time of each season helps us get to know each character thoroughly. They became almost like family members. So when one of them does meet their demise it's upsetting. There's been some great villains and foes along the way too. The Governor and Negan being most memorable. Negan played by Jeffrey Dean Morgan being probably the best thing about the more recent seasons. There's characters that have conflicting views. Shane played by Jon Bernthal being a good example. This show tugs on all the emotions. There's pain, anger, fear and despair. There's also the well timed piece of humour here and there to show that despite all that has happened to them these people are still human.

The production value of this show is of very high quality. Only the odd piece of CGI occasionally lets the side down. Particularly the CGI flames used instead of practical effects. This is odd as the practical and makeup effects in this show are second only to Game of Thrones. Prosthetic makeup effects are Oscar worthy. Can a TV show get an Oscar? I don't know but if it can this show definitely should. Zombies are brought to life, if that makes any sense by some truly wonderful makeup design. Animatronics are very realistic giving the whole show a level of authenticity usually associated with a high budget Hollywood blockbuster.

A criticism I do have is that the show doesn't look and sound as good as it should. As a High definition experience the picture is often grainy with no vibrancy. Maybe this is intentional to show the grubby broken down world that the show is set in. Sound doesn't seem to immerse as well as it should. While I'll admit that it isn't bad it just doesn't sound as involving as some other big budget TV shows. Overall TWD is a superb show. One that will go down as a classic. It may have fallen slightly from grace over the latter years but it still remains a 10/10 experience and one that you should definitely check out.
35 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Same thing every episode
rboyd9426 February 2014
I quite enjoyed Season 1 of The Walking Dead, then I sat through a boring Season 2, after about 4 episodes of Season 3 I gave up.

The Walking Dead is the same thing every episode, some boring people either kill zombies or get killed by them. That's it.

I did not like one single character, I understand that it's a zombie apocalypse, but they moan all the time and none of them have any personality. Joffrey from Game of Thrones is the boy you love to hate, but Carl from the Walking Dead is the boy you just hate. The boy thinks he's God's gift but he is actually useless. He struts about with Rick's over sized Sheriff's hat on that is too big for his head and he just looks ridiculous.

The main problem with the show is the fact that I did not only not care about any of the characters, but I actually hated them, each one is more annoying than the last and they are so boring. For some reason Darryl is a fan favourite character. He is a scruffy hillbilly and I honestly think the only reason why people like him is the fact that he has a crossbow.

The only reason why people watch this show is because so many people watch it and it is an excuse to be included in a conversation. A repetitive plot filled with bland characters. The only reason to continue watching is to hopefully see Carl get ripped to shreds.
102 out of 160 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A gradual decline into mediocrity
willcolesy16 October 2017
The first season was great, very slick and well acted. Since it has gradually declined into a constant regurgitation of the same old plots and ideas. I found the last season almost painful to watch. Like watching a once beloved pet struggling to walk, knowing that it was time for them to be put down. The writers should be frankly ashamed of what they have made of a once good show.
56 out of 84 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Oh God WHY!
raikonnen_arc15 November 2011
How to describe the characters and writing of this show. I think 'stupid' or 'idiotic' might cover it. The entire concept of the show, the idea itself is fantastic, unfortunately the writing staff have monologue'd the show into oblivion.

Without revealing too much, characters are repeatedly told not do to A, B or C, and then go ahead to do either A, B, or C with nasty consequences. Characters show barely any worry at the impending doom they may have, and don't seem to care until a zombie is actually in their eyesight. They continue with their mundane 'before' lives until in peril, then run around in circles flapping until one of the two 'saviors' go and do something about it.

Things that any ordinary everyday person would identify, and immediately correct are overlooked for multiple episodes.

Season 2 is contrived and under-budget, which can be seen with a 4 or 5 episode stint in the same location, I have no idea where the millions for these episodes were spent, maybe they are keeping it for later!

I have hope for the show, hope the writers gen up and kill a couple of major characters off. Give us something to worry about, make us care about more than one character. Please, save the show.
308 out of 523 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Boring Dead
car-4340919 March 2018
My wife and I had been huge fans of the show but the last two seasons have been painful. Nothing happens. Nothing is resolved. Negan and his gang are boring. Cars get shot at but the bullets leave no marks. "Security" people are wearing Nerf chest protectors. Somehow Maggie is in charge. Rick is useless. The show, im sure wishes they never introduced Rick's daughter because they've no idea what to do with her and neither does Rick. What's the purpose of the guy who speaks like Shakespeare and who would follow him? How did the woman at the dump forget how to speak properly?? "We go now, you here not stay" What? Seriousy? We never thought Carl would die. A whole episode of him sweating and panting. We were begging him to die. We applauded when he finally shot himself. It was so dragged out. For the love of God, we've never looked at the credits, but assumed that the former writers from the first 5-6 seasons were fired and replaced by high school kids. Its clear that the show has run out of ideas for plots. This last episode was hilarious. Rick somehow had plotted Negan's course through the city streets and was able to T-bone his Dodge Charger and run him down in his 1998 Ford Explorer. Then they fight it out and Negan gets really, really mad because Rick set Lucille on fire and tried to break it. "Noooooo, dont you touch her!" cries Negan. And of course Negan lives another day or maybe he didn't. We don't know. We had enough. Oh wait... how about the frumpy lady with glasses who traded "knowledge" for records & "Pickles for Midge" hahahahahaha! Good deal Maggie!! We were thinking if the show added canned laughter every time the actors read their lines, we'd totally consider following the show! The Walking Dead has "Jumped the Shark".
43 out of 65 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.