Grind (2003) Poster

(2003)

Blue Crush meets Road Trip with Skateboards
mwendel28 January 2004
Take Blue Crush and Road Trip to the asphalt with boys instead of girls. The movie is an entertaining over-the-top story about four friends who decide to make the summer more interesting by trying to live the dream of becoming pro skateboarders. Their path to potential stardom is one full of roadblocks of all shapes and kinds. Don't look for any award winning performances here, but do look for some good laughs and some good and great skateboarding sequences.

Mike Vogel, Vince Vieluf, Adam Brody and Joey Kern provide acceptable performances as stereotype characters sticking to the molds they have been given. Their performances are not bad, nor are they great, which allows the movie to be very watch-able - I don't think you'll be cringing because of poor acting, as you might have in other films. There are a lot of cameos (some good, some bad) in this movie - Randy Quaid, Christopher McDonald, Christine Estabrook, Bob(cat) Goldthwait, and Tom Green are the most recognizable ones.

If you like skateboarding and you're not going to be watching with too critical of an eye you'll enjoy the move even more than most. It's a watch-able, enjoyable movie. Hey, I didn't check my watch once to see if its almost over yet! Enjoy!
14 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Grind - brainless fun
ysman-112 September 2005
I saw this movie on satellite with no preconceived notions. No it's not War & Peace but it was plain goofy fun like a cross between a "Road" picture & "Animal House". People who criticize this movie for not taking skateboarding seriously have totally missed the point. This movie could've been about ping pong & I still would have enjoyed it for what it was. Brainless fun. So if anyone is looking forward to basically shutting their brain down, but still getting a couple of cheap laughs I recommend this movie. It is NOT for young children. Some of the humor is "raunchy" but nothing anyone over the age of twelve hasn't heard in the school yard. It has a fairly basic moral (never give up) and not all the women in it are eye candy. Perfect for the demographic it was aiming for.
18 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Some pretty funny stuff.
furiousneon24 August 2004
I picked this movie up for like 4.99 on DVD at a rental place nearby..and i have to say it was worth it. Although im not a big fan of skateboarding or the X-Games as a whole..i enjoyed this movie. It was pretty funny. It goes by at a steady pace and the characters all have a pretty good chemistry with eachother, especially considering that the lead roles are all newcomers. There are a few notable cameo's(Bam Margera, Tom Green). The story itself isnt anything great. It's not original or anything, but it still seems pretty fresh. Its funny through out and considering that im not a skateboarding fan and i enjoyed it, Id recommend this to anyone. Its some pretty funny stuff.
25 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nothing Spectacular, Except for the Skating
Stoli_Raz_N_726 September 2005
This film is just plain fun. The story isn't anything spectacular, but the skating is sick, the babes are all top shelf, and the main characters are just four guys having fun. Their adventures are enjoyable, and the show is slathered with multiple layers of humor and style. Of course this isn't going to be on any critics' top ten lists, nor will it win any awards anywhere, but the extraordinary films that wind up in those categories often have little to no replay value - once you've seen them, they're pretty much done. "Grind" is a film that's so enjoyable, it's easy to watch it over and over and over again. I've already seen it eight times.
13 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
great movie
DaniiBabii72813 March 2005
I've seen this movie many times and ill watch it again. I absolutely love it! The first time i watched this movie was at my friends house and hes a skater so i thought i would be bored to tears with another skateboarding movie, but i was totally wrong its funny and interesting! You might think you wont like it if you don't like skateboarding but i don't like to skate and i still loved this movie. The characters are wonderful skaters and great actors and the plot is hilarious! Even thought i don't know anything about skateboarding i still understood the movie and there were even so people in it that i knew like bam margera and Ryan sheckler. You will fall in love with this movie - not asleep!
17 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I think it's great
sgreenwald-127 October 2005
I agree with another comment that the critics shouldn't have torn this movie apart like some others! It wasn't all that bad. There were those random parts that you don't think should be in there, but it is a funny movie that you can never get sick of!

The crowd that I believe the film is aiming for are those struggling athletes or skaters. There is supposed to be a little more struggle than what they put in, but it isn't a drama, it's comedy. Mike Vogel played his part well, along with Adam Brody. Most of the skating was stunt men, but there were those little scenes where the actors would actually have to skate! These actors actually took plenty of training to learn how to pull off the skating.

This is a movie that you can watch with your friends over and over again and never get sick of!
7 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The best movie.
scotty427 March 2006
This movie talks about 3 guys who love to skate and don't know what they want to do in life.The main character decides to go on a skate tour and looks for pros to give his (skate) video.I think this one of the best comedy-skateboard movie I ever seen! Why? Cause the guys in the movie are funny and if you love skateboarding you'll probably love this one. You can see a lot of different skate-pros in the movie. My favorite part is when they start dancing in front of BAM and thats funny! And it shows that you don't have to go to school to end up pretty well so take a peek at the movie and then you'll tell me about! Also if you want to start skateboarding you could probably learn from them!I like how the actors play the scenes and especially Adam Brody because he one of the greatest actors of the new generation.He also plays in The O.C and he is freakin good skater.
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Skaters apparently have nothing to look forward to...
jjgoard21 October 2004
Uh, people who gave this a ten: I get that you're into a hobby that only marginally interests most other people. So am I. (Don't ask.) But do you really think that a much better skating story couldn't easily be made? I would think, at least, it would really upset you that there was no attempt at all to blend the stunt double shots with the actor shots. Couldn't those actors even learn to do some basic tricks?

Almost no laughs. For lots of hot women, I can go online and see them wearing a lot less. For skating, I can see the real skaters doing it. This is as (1) as it gets, kids.

Helps me bring down my IMDb average, too.
11 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great
chelzm22 January 2005
I think that Grind was a great movie! A lot of people don't like it but you usually have to be into the content of a movie to enjoy it. I am really into skateboarding. It is awesome! It's my favourite thing to do so I guess that's why I like the movie so much! When I first heard of it I thought that it was going to be a crappy movie. But when I actually saw it...I loved it! Mike Vogle is so hot too! So that might have made me more interested in it. But the movie is still great! I love it! The actors are great and the storyline is good as well! I also like how it has real skaters in it like Bam and Tony Hawk! I really look up to Bam! He is an awesome skater! I love him! He's like...my idol!
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It was at least entertaining....
virogenix20 November 2004
OK so maybe this was not an Oscar performance by well, anyone. But really, let's face it, there are worse movies. And, yeah, it entertained me while it lated. So while I can't say that this will be on my top ten favorites by any standards, I guess it wasn't so bad. The cameos of Bam and Tom Green were decent. And any movie with clowns and midgets can't be totally terrible, right? The music didn't totally suck. There was "Gross Humor", which I personally like. The ending was a bit campy. To be honest, it would take a real moron not to follow it totally it was so transparent. On the whole, I say watch it. It is a good there is nothing better on flick. It won't totally bore you because it is fully devoid of anything worth learning.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beware!!
Manon_117 November 2004
Probably the worst movie I've seen in a long time. The worst part and by far is Vince Vieluf, this guy is not funny, this guy is very annoying and after a while, the scenes where he was the center stage were put on fast forward! If this guy can make it in the movies, well so do I!

This movie is a total mess. Probably the only good thing about it is Mr. Vogel, he was nice to look at.

I was bored from beginning to the end.

Also, I think Adam Brody is usually very talented & they managed to make him very bad in this movie. Stay away from it!!! I feel like I've lost 2 hours of my life.
8 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worst Movie EVER!!!
red_head_rocker5610 March 2006
This was the worst movie that I have ever seen in my whole life. I love skateboarding movies, but this just ranks in one of the worst that I have ever seen. It would be better if there were actual actors. It is all about these punks who want to go on a tour or something (sorry if I got the storyline wrong, Its not like I actually payed attention). And the director squeezed some romance and some "funny" parts. If funny is acting like a total jackass and being so dumb that its not funny anymore, than this movie is for you.

But don't worry, they win and get the girls and its all a happy ending. That whats happens in low-budget, retarded movies.
6 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I wish I would have walked out after the previews
scharkweek22 August 2003
First off, I have been skateboarding for a few years now, so my bias is automatically going to be that this movie is only taking advantage of the recent popularity of skateboarding. But for the heck of it, I gave the movie a chance. When I walked into the theater, I noticed that there were maybe 10-20 other people. Never a good sign. The movie begins, and this is when the real joke began. The movie portrays the sport of skateboarding as a big flashy show with hot bikini babes running around. There is so much more to it than big shot names in big shot competitions. With several failed attempts at making the movie a comedy as well, this movie did not manage to make me laugh once. Replayed jokes and reused character styles make this movie a giant re-run. The plot was very predictable with the ever present "lets accomplish something, we fail a few times, and then when all seems lost, we finally succeed." Don't waste your time on this one. It was a sad attempt at exploiting the quickly growing popularity of skateboarding.
4 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worst thing to happen to skateboarding since Bam Margera.
amercanpyscho13816 June 2006
Well, once again, the great art of skateboarding has been beaten with a brick by trendy teen movie creators. I mean, if you're really that amped to focus a movie plot around skateboarding, it least do some research to find out what's actually possible on a skateboard and what's not. You've got angles revealing the fact the stunt doubles can't even do half the "Mcvarial 900s" in the film. As a skateboarder and filmer of skateboarding, this movie is complete mainstream trash. If you want to see the true cinematic greatness of skateboarding, go out to your local skate shop and buy one of Jon Holland's many Transworld Skateboarding films. Roll forever.
5 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not Great, But Not THAT Bad
DigitalPhreaker27 August 2003
Wow, I was surprised to hear people rip this movie apart like they did Gigli (although it's understandable for Gigli). This movie wasn't all that bad. I thought the cast was pretty good, and I loved Sweet Lou, but he was the Dazed and Confused rip off that someone else said. Granted, I will never buy this movie when it comes out on DVD, but it was worth the few extra bucks for the laugh. If you guys want a good laugh, without a lot of thinking (or plot) then see Grind. 7/10
3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Decent skate movie bogged down by clichés. (spoilers)
vertigo_1414 April 2005
'Grind' turned out to be a better skate comedy than I had expected, but it had the potential to be so much better had the filmmakers not been so intent on serving up heavy doses of clichés and comedy homages )such as Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Thrashin', Dazed and Confused, The Search for Animal Chin, and more).

Mike Vogel plays Eric Rivers, a pretty good teen skater, who wants nothing more than to be sponsored. Difficult as it is to go about things the routine way of trying to pass on tapes to his favorite pro-skater, Jimmy Wilson, he figures he might do something different to get the sponsorship's attention. Very simply, he encourages his friends (also skaters) to join him as an amateur skate team, chasing skate demos across the country to participate in and show off their skill. Of course, what would an optimistic comedy such as this be without the routine of misadventures and increasing doubt among the characters to be resolved in the usual happy-ending wrap of with nearly all expectations filled for the main character (in this one, not all of the supporting characters don't get the finale treatment that supporting characters often do)? You should know what to expect.

But, what started out as a pretty good comedy eventually charges downhill as it becomes endlessly bogged down in unnecessary clichés (though some were to be expected in this Hollywood-styled conventional framework of "the underdogs") such as Matt suddenly reunites with his parents while the boys are trapped in the desert (which slowed down the movie even more with the corny tear-jerker dialog), the homage to Thrashin' in the finale where Eric challenges his annoying rival to a vert skate-off (which, although there are great skate tricks involved, becomes utterly ridiculous in attempt to end this stupid movie on as many whims as possible), the supporting character falling for Matt's girlfriend, and much more. This would be about the point where it bails...badly.

Aside from that, the movie does have some good moments, tremendous skate sequences scattered throughout, and a decent soundtrack. Look for many cameos by memorable faces: Stephen Root, Dave Foley, Christopher MacDonald, Bobcat Godlwaith, Tom Green (who is particularly funny), Pro-skaters Bucky Lasek and Ryan Sheckler (who offers a good inside joke), and especially Bam Margera who appears frequently throughout the picture, although not in the apishly immature form you may be used to. It is not the best that I have seen, but for a middle-of-the-road comedy about skateboarding teens (with one in particular chasing an ambition), this may be worth watching.
4 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hilarrious!!
helyk1221 April 2005
I'm 16 years old. I have two friends that I've hung out with since 2nd grade. One of my friends bought this movie in Febuary. The first time we all sat down and watched it we couldn't stop laughing. This is the perfect movie. We all kind of got out of skateboarding the summer after 7th grade, but after watching this movie we are back at it and I have improved so much more than I could have ever imagined in just the past 3 months. Whenever my friends don't feel like hanging out or skating I tell them to watch GRIND and after the scene with Eric and the battle on the half pipe they are outside with me skating for hours. Thanks GRIND!
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wicked Teen Movie!!!
honest_liar2 February 2005
I really loved this movie! It just seemed to get better with every time i watched it! It was funny, and entertaining. The skateboarding scenes were amazing! I don't skateboard, but the movie makes me want to learn how. I liked the performances too! I love Adam Brody. He was perfect for the character of Dustin. This movie only made me a bigger fan of him then i already am. This movie was hilarious, and I recommend it to all people with in the age range of 12-30, because if you are too young you wont understand some of the jokes in the movie, and if you are too old, you probably wont be too into the whole skateboarding theme, but this was a great movie, sending out the message that dreams do come true! I love it!
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
2000s gold
landonzimmerman-4076521 September 2020
Great movie, deserves a better rating. As a skate comedy it nailed it.
One of my favorites
babydollbonkers8812 November 2015
This is probably one of my favorite movies of all time. I stumbled across Grind during a round of channel-surfing years ago, and even though the movies was halfway over, it was so hilarious that I decided to watch it to the end. After that, I had to see how the story started, so I went hunting for it on Amazon and bought it. To this day, I still pull it out at least three or four times a year when I need a good laugh. The funny parts stay as funny as they were the very first time I saw it, and that's saying a lot, because I've watched it dozens of times over the course of the years since it was a new movie. Even if you don't like skateboarding or know nothing about it, you'll enjoy this movie. And the cameos just make it that much better. This is the movie that first made me fall in love with Adam Brody and Jennifer Morrison, and as a result, I became a big fan of both Once Upon a Time and The O.C.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just saw this for this first time, good movie.
blakeb-557-60358712 February 2015
I just saw Grind for the first time, it was on HBO earlier today and I got to see the whole thing. I thought the movie was really good. The reviews I have read from critics were way harsh, this movie didn't deserve that. It seems to be a favorite among viewers, it is definitely my new favorite. The actor Vince Vieluf that plays Matt is definitely the star of the movie, he's funny as hell. He's like the "Stifler" from American Pie of the group.

Seems it's playing on HBO often lately so I'm going to have to watch it again. I see that it's available to rent or buy on Amazon so you can watch it there. I need to buy it on DVD too.
A fun road trip movie
SHAFTshifter3 August 2014
A fun road trip about some guys fresh out of high school trying to get sponsored by a famous pro skater. The cast had good chemistry and the movie feels fun and not like its trying too hard. In a lot of movies there are annoying characters but I felt like for the most part each main character had a unique personality and no one was super annoying to watch (except a couple scenes with the crazy guy who goes a little overboard sometimes). I don't skate and I still enjoyed it for what it was.

A good one to watch when you're in the mood for a buddy comedy. There are a lot of cameos by real professional skaters too, a main one by Bam Margera. If you buy the DVD there is also a pretty funny commentary by the actors and director explaining how they shot the movie on such a low budget and how cameos by certain people were set up literally the night before. As long as you know what you're getting into, its a fun movie.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is a movie about for teenagers you want to achieve their dream to become pro skaters
jbarrett572 February 2014
The movie grind is a really fun movie. That has you hoping that the group of teenagers achieve their goal right to the end. This movie has humor and romance and is a really fun movie for all the family. I like this movie as it shows that you can make a movie about teenagers without any nudity or drug use. As I already said you get really invested in the characters in this movie which is what a good movie should do in my opinion. This movie has also received a lot of criticism for being a joke to the sport of skating but I disagree and think it really helped a lot of young people to start skating. This movie gets an 8 out of ten for just being generally entertaining. Check it out and see for yourself I highly recommended you do !!!!
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good
thegoods725 April 2012
This movie was a good movie for being a skateboard movie. its about a four kids following their skateboard hero across the country to try and get him to sponsor them on his tour. along the way they run into some problems and some girls. there are also appearances by people from the movie Jackass such as, Bam Margera, Preston Lacy, Wee-man, and "Danger" Erin, also an appearance by Tom Green. The movies soundtrack is what really stuck with me because I didn't see this movie when it came out I saw it a couple years later but over all this movie is was a good movie. it made me laugh and was a make you feel good movie and was really enjoyable to watch.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
if you don't like skateboarding you will not appreciate this movie
miketaylor200715 December 2011
I think Grind is a great movie with a lot of comedy and good skating footage. This one will only appeal to you if you like skateboarding, so I can understand the mixed reviews. the humour in this film is meant for a younger audience. What did you expect before watching though? You must have gone into this movie knowing it was about skateboarding. I don't think a guy who is 40 and knows nothing about skating will appreciate it at all. With that being said, Grind has some pretty good skating scenes that you will enjoy watching. Bam Margara has a small role in the film also. I thought the entire movie was pretty hilarious but the story is unlikely to happen. Don't take Grind too seriously because it's a little far fetched. In real life this would never happen, but thats the beauty of these kind of movies.