ChangoMutney

Fun, but can't get past some things, 12 June 2009

Seemed this film went in fits and starts, lurching from a great scene to a scene where you had to suspend your disbelief more than normal.

Although it was good fun all around, I couldn't get past:

* they had tonnes of fuel available for helis, A10s and no doubt to run generators for the s***loads of stuff that needs electricity

* "they've never pushed up this far before"- well why the hell not? Clearly they have flying scouts which aren't easy to take out, surely their airfields and bases would've been scouted and vapourised by now? And also the huge stompy thing which clearly isn't easy to take down.

* finally- they are in SkyNet, they are mass-producing Terminators, yet only 2 bother to engage John/ Kyle, and none are bothering their transport outside.

I'd watch it again, but they missed an opportunity to make it more gritty and desperate, without everyone have ultra-white teeth and it not looking like mankind is struggling very much at all.

Enjoyed it immensely, 3 June 2009

I've never played the game, didn't even know what it was about. That's how I like films, no pre-conceptions.

And I was pleasantly surprised by the film. I like my horror eerie rather than gory, and this has it in spades. I felt it let itself down a bit once the claustrophobic and 'alone' feeling of just the two ladies was dispelled with the dash to the church and all the other people there. Also, once they 'befriended' the lady who was assaulting Dahlia, they didn't ask the obvious questions that I would've asked about the town

I did love the fact it wasn't sugar coated, and nothing was really explained- like why the ash from the air, why there are several dimensions etc.

RocknRolla (2008)
No Snatch or LSa2SB but still fun, 26 September 2008

I went to watch this purposely knowing nothing about it other than a trailer I'd seen some time before. I didn't want to hear what the critics said, so I avoided any mention of it.

I was pleasantly surprised how much fun it was. I really liked the fact there weren't many big names in it so anyone could potentially be killed.

And once again, Toby Kebbell shows us what a brilliant actor he is. Only seen him in 'Dead Mans Shoes' previously, but his acting in that was astounding.

All in all, really enjoyed it. It's no Snatch, but that would be a very hard film to top. There's some laughs, some tense moments and some indestructible Russians.

I couldn't shake the feeling that the actor who played Archie, Mark Strong, looked very much like a young Andy Garcia!!!

Great film, certain moments could've been better, 10 August 2008

I really liked this film- energetic, fast paced and intelligent. The opening montage giving a potted history of the Saudis was very interesting and helps set the scene.

The fact we were treated to seeing life from the Saudi Police/ Military's point of view was excellent, and the 2 main Saudi actors who played Haytham and Al Ghazi were great in their roles.

Although it was heart stopping action, the scene where they save Leavitt right at the last minute was a bit silly- makes for nice cinema, but the film would've been darker and better off had they not made it in time.

That part did remind me a bit of the scene in Clear and Present Danger where they are ambushed by roof-top gunmen, but this was better executed.

All in all, great film, would recommend it to others, but it could've been even better!

Never really gripped me, 16 November 2007

Hmm.

Not sure what to make of this one. I thought it started very well, no pre-amble and got into the action straightaway. Colm Meaney's character seemed so lightweight you knew he was going to get killed.

About halfway through the film, I started to not care about Ryan Phillipe's character. I started not to care about his 'food programme'. And sadly I saw the twist coming and was proved right.

The acting was OK, Laurence Fishburne was great. It's just the story never really dragged you in. It felt like the film would've benefited more from being longer, allowing you to get more involved.

Open Range (2003)
Great film, nice surprise, 5 April 2004

I was pleasantly surprised when I saw this film. I wasn't around in the "Western era" (obviously!), but I would imagine that gunfights were very much like in this film- smoky, loud and inaccurate gunfire. Aside from that, the film also accurately portrays what it's like to be hit by an object- you generally fall down and don't get up in a hurry. It just makes a change to see something unlike the other westerns where there were sharpshooters galore, and punch-ups go on for ever.

Kudos to the writer, director and actors for this gripping story, with particular merit to Kevin Costner and Robert Duvall who play the grizzled 'free grazers'. I was also surprised to see Michael Gambon in this film, but his role is also excellently acted and a great Mr Nasty character.

Panic Room (2002)
*****WARNING- SPOILER******, 8 May 2002

SPOILERS BELOW************

The first half of this film was great, good build up, but I just couldn't ignore several holes....

The worst ones- 3 criminals, one of them an experienced guy who works for a security firm, break into a house with loads of cameras. First thing you do? Smash up the cameras, so the Panic Room occupants can't watch you, surely. Do they do that? No.

Raoul gets his hand trapped in the door- a very heavy door. Does he pass out? No. Does his hand, when freed, resemble a piece of bloody paper? No. In fact, this indestructable guy get additionally whacked over the head with a sledgehammer, knocked over a bannister and still comes back for more, to be a serious threat. Ridiculous.

And why, oh why,, just for once, can't the bad guys get away with it? Why did Forest Whittaker come back? Why not take off, and actually not be predictable? Using the morality thing, we know he was a 'good' character, didn't he deserve to get away with it?!

This could've been such a good film....