IMDb > Resident Evil: Retribution (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 41:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Absolute crap

Author: dtander-1 from Calgary Canada
14 September 2012

I really liked the first ResEvil movie, and I've been going along with them ever since, but this is the end of the line for me. This movie was a total waste of time and money. There's no plot, just a situation that Alice has to fight her way out of. There are some good stunts but nothing we haven't seen before. Most of the action is just ridiculous...bad guys that don't die, guns that don't run out of ammo, characters that can be interchangeably good or evil at the whim of the scriptwriter. It's like a five-year-old playing with toy soldiers. The actors are so wooden, and look so plastic that I honestly couldn't tell if they were CGI creations or actual human beings.

Milla and her husband should be ashamed of themselves.

A 2 hour video game cut scene

Author: nwsts from Thailand
13 September 2012

Not sure if this movie is only for videogamers, but I can't see anyone else caring to sit through it. The movie made it quite clear, early on, that there would be no complicated plot lines or character development. And the dialogue was equally simplistic. The lines sounded something like this - go to the 3rd mountain and collect 20 coins and 3 golden power boosters. One quickly sensed this was not a movie at all, rather a simple video game cut scene. Also problematical were the incredibly goofy scenes with thousands of bullets aimed point blank at the heroes and all of them missing. It just takes all of the fun out of a movie when there is absolutely no sense of danger to the heroes.

On the plus side, the action sequences were very well shot and the cgi was first class. That said, it just wasn't enough to make this reviewer glad to be sitting in the audience

The extreme worst of all Resident Evil series

Author: jsoetandi from Australia
13 September 2012

I love Resident Evil series. Despite the mediocre reviews it gets in the past, I still go to the cinema on its release and always looking forward for the next sequel.

But RE5 fails beyond believe. The storyline is utterly crap. The action are cheesy, the actors are cheesy, the whole movie is a joke to the RE series. I am completely disappointed at how the whole movie turns out to be.

*spoiler alert* The whole movie is set on one giant Umbrella underwater laboratory and Alice and friends is trying to break out of it. Along the way they encounter some zombies and finally got out. And that's literally about the summary of the whole story!

They try to use music to intensify everything.. but it becomes very cheesy. Especially towards the end before the final fight when Jill walks out of the submarine.

The Red Queen is total crap. Cheesy, stupid..

The fighting scene itself is very cheesy and unrealistic. They hardly get hit by a bullet even when they were standing in open view. But it seems like their bullet always managed to hit the enemy. Even the one bullet that hit Alice, didn't even do her much harm. What a load of crap.

At the final fight, it was obvious some of them had had their bones cracked. But they were still standing and fighting as if their bone is not really a necessary part of their body. They look pretty healthy for someone with broken bone!

When Alice beats Jill.. it was so obvious from the beginning that that's what needs to be done. But the scriptwriter must've made Alice so dumb that she did not realize that from the beginning. Sadly, the viewers are not as dumb as the scriptwriter.

And on the final scene when Leon touches Ada's thigh.. THATS AS CHEESIEST AS IT COULD GET! I could almost cry looking at that scene. What the f... *sigh*

I apologize for using a lot of "cheesy" word in my review. But it is exactly how I feel when I see it. It's like a bunch of amateurs movie makers trying to make action movie.

All in all, I wouldn't even rate it 5 for effort. Its a total lazy movie writing. I still want to see RE6, but I seriously hope they do not FAIL as big as this one.

What a load of crap this movie is.

WTF Happened? Watch and judge for yourself - But don't waste too much on it

Author: freaktation
15 September 2012

I was doing a small Resident Evil movie marathon in preparation for seeing this movie, and I was really looking forward to see how they could save the ending of the fourth one - But I was quite hopeful that I would at least get a good action story with an acceptable plot. That have been true for all the others in the series so why not this one.

Well was I in for a rude awakening. Honestly if you enjoyed all the former movies and you consider them "part of their own story" meaning that your pretty much ignoring the video games when watching the movies then you'll find yourself even more amazed by how terrible this movie is.

I will not go into details of the plot as others have done that and perfectly expressed the errors in it (I am of course referring to those more negative reviews you'll find as most of the very positive ones doesn't really put a lot of effort into mentioning it.. mayhap because even they would have trouble claiming it to be a good movie then ;)) But I can easily say that the main problems with this movie is: The plot and the acting. Thats not a good thing for a movie and trust me it shows. The plot has some vague references to the former movie, but thats quickly forgotten and all your in for is a mess of action scenes and bad (and I mean bad) CGI effects. Somehow the actors manage to look not in the least interested in the gun fights they are in and at the same time removing any sense that they are in fact what they appear to be (used to handling weapons..), there is odd alien references.. or perhaps stolen ideas which makes no sense in the places they are used and the whole shitstorm will end with you sitting back confused as to what you just watched and with anger due to the disappointment of what this could have been.

I personally will not count this as part of the series, I'll count it as the series failed little-brother rip-off that should never ever have been made.

I cannot in any situation recommend this movie.. by far the most disappointing, meaningless and confounded mess I ever saw.

It is not even close to what you will be expecting!!

Author: chanakya-dwivedi from New York, United States
15 September 2012

I was eagerly looking forward to the 5th installment of this series and I am sorry to say that I have been really let down! Apart from the once in a while visuals, the movie has not been able to get even close to expectations. The first 10 minutes of the movie and you will start feeling disconnected from the movie already not caring at all what is gonna happen in the next scene. After resident evil 3 & 4, I was expecting a lot out of this installment and from Paul W.S. Anderson but he has not been able to live up the mark at all. The action scenes rather than being nail-biting, turned out to be hilarious and funny. There isn't a single moment in the movie where you are actually glued to screen. Milla Jovovich looks pretty as always, but that won't save the movie. All others have done a horrible job with their acting, especially Sienna Guillory. I would say that the only reason you would want to watch this movie is if you are a fan of the resident evil series and you don't mind wasting your money and time for the sake of this series.

'Resident Evil: Retribution' punishes RE Fans

Author: Bollywood_Laxitive (bollywoodlaxitive@yahoo.com) from Bucharest
15 September 2012

Retribution begins shortly after the events of the previous film, Resident Evil: Afterlife. Alice (Milla Jovovich) is shooting quarters off a shipping boat, standing still while simultaneously dodging countless amounts of bullets, and is finally knocked unconscious. When she wakes up — or when her "clone" awakens — she's been captured and sits isolated in, of course, a very white room in an underground Umbrella Corporation lair.

Once she escapes that white room, thanks to a traitor from the inside, Alice has to fight off hordes of the same zombies and beasts we've seen her battle far too many times before. However, this time all the battles are done within a virtual dome, which makes no difference whatsoever. She wanders through "New York City" to "Moscow," and despite the changing environments, all the set pieces stay the same.

Then again, nothing is new here. It's more of the same. Stylistically and structurally, it's as if Anderson just reshaped moments from the previous films and simply reused them. Even on a basic, popcorn-minded level, there's no excitement in watching Alice take down a pack of mutated zombies. The slo-mo fighting style is no longer distinct, Alice is already invincible, and, with that leading us to my next point, there are zero stakes involved.

There's no weight to these battles because the stakes are never clearly laid out, and the rules of this virtual set up are a tad hazy. If these environments are indeed virtual, then how can any real harm come about? How can the cars and buses blow up? Is it the virtual environment messing with their mind, or did some of the henchmen spend an infinite amount of years carrying down cabs, buses, and other such things down to this badly located underground lair? What about the zombies? Are they all clones, like the many Alices we see in the film? If not, then how can they cause harm to Alice and friends? With all the exposition in the film, it's bizarre all these questions are left unanswered (or perhaps are too muddled up to understand). Only a handful of lines in Anderson's script are not exposition. Everyone grimaces through his clunky video game-like dialogue as if they know it's as bad as it is. Case in point, Johann Urb, playing a member of the team attempting to assist Alice, delivers nearly all his lines in a super serious manner to let the audience know just how serious this all is.

Except none of Resident Evil: Retribution can be taken seriously nor even enjoyed on a visceral or ironic level. The film starts off with a flashback, then a long expository intro chronicling the past films, then some virtual experience, and, after twenty minutes of that zero-momentum introduction, Resident Evil: Retribution continues to halt its wheels for exposition-driven dialogue, inconsequential fight scenes, and a badly repetitive score which thinks this is all much cooler than it really is.

It was different…

Author: (imdb020-643-129772) from Ukraine
16 September 2012

Well… this movie is like a game. Watching this movie is like watching a kid playing one level of video game. But you're watching this during 1.5 hours.

During first 15 minutes of the movie I had only one thought in my mind: "what a hell is this?"

There is no plot, no catchy story like in previous parts. Here you have several blocks and a lot of stupid shooting and fighting without a hint to be a bit realistic. The final fight is like a raping of your mind - too much FX's, too less reality and common sense, it's against everything good in the world.

Actors are great. After a deadly injury a character doesn't show any sight of the pain except in his words.

Dialogs in the movie are fantastic… If you'll write down all the lines of all characters, you'll hardly fill 1.5 pages A4 size.

Watching this movie a felt like I'm fooled - creators didn't want to work to make it interesting, they used CGI+FX+fighting+shooting without everything else that makes movie worthwhile, and sold it to me using a bright wrap.

People were leaving the movie theatre in the middle of this picture.

Hope next movie will be much better.

?

Author: rivertam26 from United States
13 September 2012

I've been a long time fan of the Resident Evil series even when people criticized them left and right. I thought they were really entertaining, stylish and inventive. Until now. There is no way I can stick up for this movie or any reason I'd even want to. I can't really give you a synopsis cause I'm not even sure what I just watched. All I can say is that it was huge disappointment in every facet possible. Despite the silliness of the previous films they always grounded themselves in some type of realism within the reigns of its premise. This entry doesn't even feel like it's a part of the same franchise. Gone is the fun and it's been replaced with ritzy production values and no discernible storyline. It's a movie based on a video game in which they are actually part of a video game and nothing is really happening. Despite a somewhat promising start with a cool reverse battle sequence, a best of franchise film reel and an inventive and even a little scary trip into suburbia we than move on to the supposed purpose of the film which just doesn't make sense at all. I mean the choices are just astoundingly bad why make the little girl deaf and the film filled with sign language, why set it in this underground facility, why is all of this happening, with this type of technology how does the remaining human population even have a chance, how is Wesker alive and why is he good now? he's not human??? None of these questions will be answered and lets not even discuss the frustratingly awkward scenes like one in which one of the good guys has a double unnecessary death, an uninspired nod towards the Alien franchise and repetitive scenarios that get less effective the more you see them (really the squid face things). Also, the acting has never been good in the Resident Evil series but Milla Jovovich had evoked a cool sense of fierce heroine, this time around she just seems plain bored as do the other actors. Filled with insipid dialogue, questionable plotting,overlong pacing, a weird bad movie from the 90's score, mediocre fight choreography (except for the scene with the chain) and a crapload of wasted potential this movie just feels like a bad dream. Sometimes, when I'm really looking forward to a movie I'll dream about it the night before and it will be horrible well this is what this feels like. Because in no possible way, what I just watched is a resident evil movie. Despite all of my complaining the movie does have some decent scenes the suburbia one I brought up before was kinda neat, another featuring Ada and Alice against 2 ax men and the chain fight in Tokyo. Besides that it's all just a big plodding waste of existential cinematic trash. A brainless, soulless unintentionally funny horror/action/sci fi hybrid that despite a larger budget,returning cast members and more impressive production values feels like an overlong filler episode that leaves me with a big question mark. Why has this happened to my beloved franchise???

Resident Evil: No One Has to Reload EVER

Author: Jess Tim
24 September 2012

All I can say is, "Stop." Just please stop. No more. Alice, shut up. We know your name is Alice. Enough. We're 5 movies in now and it hasn't gone anywhere and it's not going anywhere. It's not even enough eye candy for fans of the games. I blame myself for being a glutton for punishment I guess; I've seen all the Resident Evil movies so far so I guess I'm in for the long haul. An overlong-haul. The fact that I'm a huge fan of the games unfortunately doesn't help when passing judgment on the movies. Retribution is, in my opinion, the worst one to date. The story is just, for lack of a more sophisticated word, DUMB. *Spoilers to follow*An underground facility that uses clones to recreate outbreaks? Sounds like a huge waste of time and resources to me. And the reasoning behind having said facility? To show China what the outbreak would look like in the United States. To show Japan what the outbreak would look like in Russia. Really? You mean you couldn't just put a zombie in a room with 4 people and show them what happens? Or at least a computer simulation? Much more cost effective. Having a big dumb facility just makes for having a lot of big dumb plot holes and questions. With all of those clones running around down there, you mean to tell me you can't just repopulate the human race? How do you keep having enough clothes to clothe them all? Who cleans up the bloody messes after each simulation? Why does Wesker have a change of heart all of a sudden for the human race and wants Alice to help save it? Wasn't he hell-bent on trying to kill everyone in the last movie Resident Evil: I'm Lost? Why does Umbrella have a supply of leather costumes for Alice? Why doesn't anyone have to reload ever? Leon's not using the Chicago Typewriter and I don't see anyone shooting any BSAA emblems, so according to all reasoning ever, guns need to be reloaded occasionally. Why didn't Alice just F'n recognize the ridiculously OBVIOUS glowing "bad-guy" looking scarab on Jill's chest? HEY! That must be her source of evil! WHERE IS CHRIS AND CLAIRE REDFIELD? Whose bright idea was it to have a deaf clone?! THE LIST GOES ON AND ON!!!!!! Call this movie Resident Evil: Plot Holes. Although we love seeing our favorite characters and subtle nods towards the games, we don't appreciate them being utterly stupid. Please do it right otherwise you're doing us a disservice. Throwing in new characters doesn't do them justice. I'm really glad you included Leon so he could have such a stimulating conversation with Alice. "I'm not letting you pass," "Let me pass," "Ok." And THAT WAS BARRY?! Seriously? Oh good, you gave him a Colt Python, so he's automatically Barry. Ada was at least legit; everything about her was right, if nothing else in the movie. Here they mentioned Las Plagas. According to this movie, Las Plagas are steroids you can inject into your Michelle Rodriguez to make her do X-Ray punches to people's hearts a-la the new Mortal Kombat. I'd much rather see her turn into a "head sprouter" than seeing her juiced up on 'roids. We've seen Girl Fight already. You know what, I'd rather just not see her at all, because she is in no way important. Oh, and hi Luther, I'm glad you survived the last movie and mysteriously teamed up with Leon. It's so important that you survived because you're such an integral part in this one...oh no… now you're dead. Great job. Everything about this movie is just stupid. I didn't see it in 3D thank God, but I'm sure that sucked too. It's time to just scrap the franchise. Matter of fact, it was time to scrap it 3 movies ago. Just make a REAL Resident Evil movie for the love of everything holy. Going in, you know the movie is bad, so I got what I deserved, but my God, I didn't think the franchise could actually get any worse. The bright side? This movie hit rock bottom so the next one couldn't possibly any worse…or could it?

Why is this so popular?

Author: jjvz1989-224-63907 from South Africa
15 September 2012

I have fond memories of every Resident Evil game in the main series and I am a fan still clamoring to play Biohazard 1.5. I still remember renting the directors cut of the first game way back in the 1990's. Of course back then we had the rumours of a George A Remero directed film that would be released after the commercials starring Brad Renfro started airing in Japan. For awhile we were under the mistaken belief that the father of zombie films would be bringing one of the best zombie video games to the silver screen. In 2002 we were unfortunate enough to see the first film of a truly bad what would become movie franchise. It saddens me to see that the franchise will most probably see a sixth entry.

The film starts off with a slow mo scene played in reverse, then just played, what should have been the ending of the last film is the beginning of the new film and I wouldn't be surprised if it was the ending of the previous film as we are then treated to a recap by Alice herself of every other film. What a waste of time and money. A homage to the zombie films of the 70's is the best scene in this film where Alice is now living in Suburbia with a husband and an kid. the zombies pile in and Michelle Rodriguez is reintroduced as the most worthless character, unsurprisingly it is a clone. the scene ends and we return to an truly awful storyline. It tries to imitate Operation raccoon City or the mercenaries play mode by having different scenarios in Moscow, New York and Suburbia, it is explained by the crap story point that umbrella tried to sell the virus by showing potential buyers what the T Virus is capable of. It also introduces Ada Wong at this point looking very much like the character in the game, not very well acted by the actress but that has become an trademark of the franchise) so it is an surprise when the Kevin Durand actually makes an decent Barry Burton and it is a joy even for a few remote seconds to be treated to an character that was in the video game that is actually done justice. Leon s Kennedy also appears but he is not given much screen time and unlike Kevin does not stand out and it is all to blame to the fact that Alice should be kept alive and invincible (could this be due to the fact that the director is married to Milla Jovovich). Albert Wesker, let me just stop there i don't want to talk about that butchering. Aside from the overall acting with an few exceptions, the backgrounds especially in the 3d version seems like it was done through the age old method of playing a film behind the actors and actresses, this does not do much especially in 3d, it looks crap and it does not have the charm other bad movies have or the old time horrors have. the film is bad in every aspects, the trailers is better than the film hell, the trailer for devil may cry had better story line than the entirety of this film.

the sad thing about this all Resident Evil return and so will Alice. Paul WS Anderson will get richer though he has an less than stellar career and has made mediocrity into a industry that is profitable. Stop these kind of films now and in the future we might have an industry based on quality rather than quantity. As for my love of the games, can't wait for Resident Evil 6 (once again clarification the game not the film.) but please no more spin offs.

Page 1 of 41:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]