IMDb > "Bones" (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Bones"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Bones" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 17:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Good blend of character relationship, plot, and occasional humor in horrific situations

Author: blondesis2u from United States
20 September 2005

David Boreanaz and Emily Deschanel start well with better than two-dimensional characters in a fresh look at a CSI type show. Based on the real-life work of forensic anthropologist and novelist Kathy Reichs, it's fun, kicky, and only occasionally too gruesome to look at. Not quite like one of Ms. Reichs' novels, it is still a pleasure for a fan (me!) to watch. Boreanaz' past work on Buffy and Angel stands in good stead here as he delivers lines that stand up to a strong female role without diminishing it. Also like Buffy, humor lends grace to embarrassing social situations that highlight common human vulnerabilities. Surrounding the 2 major players are other characters who add to the thrust of a character driven show. The writers do good work giving each character unique attributes that have nothing to do with hair color or body measurements. The entire cast does a good job presenting real, quirky individuals who don't have to rely on looks to sell the worth of their character to the viewers. That alone is something new for any CSI show. Still some rough edges in writing and delivery (Tempe's "I wish this was the worst I have seen" was painful for all the wrong reasons),"Bones" has great potential.

TV Entertainment of the Highest Kind

Author: bsmillios from United States
1 June 2006

Here is a show that is refreshingly real, from characters to plots, while intellectually stimulating, and willing to tickle our funny bone.

Dr. Temperance 'Bones' Brennan (Emily Deschanel) is a smart, focused, professional woman whose sensitivities are not so far from the surface that she is hard, or hardened by avoiding them, nor so close to the surface that she is weak, or weakened by them. She is serious, candid and forthright. Her ability to "handle" herself stems from confidence and experience, not tragedy or pathology as is so often the case in TV-land female characters.

Special Agent Seeley Booth (David Boreanaz) could be a hardened, tough guy, stereotypical character. He is not. While we are reminded regularly of his past as a military sniper, the sensitivity he brings to his duties as an FBI agent redeem his past actions, as is his hope. Make no mistake, he is a fierce patriot and proud FBI man, yet his character's motives and motivation are clear and noble. They are never fanatically righteous or overbearingly macho.

These two characters are wonderfully balanced with each other: their approach to life, to their work, to the pursuit of this week's mystery. Their relationship rings true. Through agreements, disagreements and the sense of humor it takes to weather both, Deschanel and Boreanaz always deliver the wry portrayal these two staunchly serious, but genuinely human characters deserve. Each character's work is expertly accomplished and equally important to the solutions they unravel together. As audience, we enjoy their working together. Temperance Brennan and Seeley Booth are a great team - as are Emily Deschanel and David Boreanaz.

With these two very real 21st Century individuals, and stories that skillfully incorporate forensic anthropology, both as it is used in the discipline of anthropology to understand the most ancient of artifacts, and as it is used in the most modern criminal labs, the foundation is strong for TV entertainment of the highest kind. But, it isn't only the charisma of the two main characters or their portrayers that keeps the show real, believable, compelling. Dr. Brennan's support team at the lab are a fine crew (Michaela Conlin as Angela Montenegro - forensic artist and friend to Dr. Brennan, Eric Millegan as Zack Addy - genius, geeky, naively lovable forensic anthropologist in-training, T.J. Thyne as Dr. Jack Hodgins - soil, bug and all-things-creepy expert, and Jonathan Adams as Dr. Daniel Goodman - administrator/anthropologist and the lab crew's boss). Each has an expertise that is technically viable and each is well portrayed by the actors cast. It all adds up to a TV show you can't wait to see again next week!

This is a GREAT show!

Author: perkapita from United States
19 February 2006

The dialogue is sharp, the acting is spot on; the characters are fun and well defined and each episode is worth watching. I mean nobody cheats! Emily Deshawhatever doesn't make her character more "appealing" (more "cute")- thus, making her more appealing!; her being so out of touch with the modern world is so well acted it's believable; and her best friend is hot because she's a perfect foil being so IN the modern world. I'm conflating all of these ideas because i want to cram in every reason why this is one of the 5 best shows on T.V. It is funny and smart and charming and if it is cancelled for some dumb ass executive reason I swear to God I will boycott...uh...whatever network it's on. Fox? Crap. Cause it's got one of the other 5: The Shield. But I will. This is a great show.

So good that you are going to feel it in the bones

Author: danielagerch from Argentina
16 August 2006

I love this show. I have to say, the pilot is not that good but keep on watching the episodes and I can assure you, you are gonna love it.

The character are really amazing and you can see them dealing with real life and their own "world of bones" at the same time. Zach is one of those character I don't really have much to say. Angie is really nice and at the same time I can't stand how she always seems to connect with the cases they are working on. To emotional. Hodgins has his own view of life and really wants to stay away from his family, so he spends most of the time at work... just like all the characters. Booth and Bones have an amazing chemistry together and exact opposites, but at the same time they are the same. Both of them, you can say, uses their work as a way to "fix" their personals issues.

About the cases, it's amazing how they always seem to solve them in the most amazing and clever ways, LOVE IT.

You have to see it.

Just Hope It Stays On the Air

Author: Alison107 from United States
14 September 2005

I didn't expect to like it as much as I liked it. In fact, it's a sure sign of cancellation how much I like this show. I never like crime shows. My mom loves them, but I find them dull, because they're about plots not characters. This is a crime show about characters (not as good as "The Closer" -- the crime show I adored this summer -- mind you), and I enjoyed it. At times, it seemed far-fetched, and the whole Senator plot-point in the pilot seemed awful easy, but the dialogue worked, the characters intrigue me, and the chemistry is great. I expect good things from it.

Alison

Not just for Kathy Reichs fans..

Author: ukxenafan1 from United Kingdom
14 September 2005

OK, so I AM a big fan of Kathy Reichs books, and was intrigued to see what this show would be like. The addition of David Boreanaz also was a big draw, as he is a very charismatic actor(and I adored Angel!) For fans of Ms Reichs books, this is a slightly odd amalgam of Kathy herself and her main character Temperance Brennan, who on the show is also a crime author (like Ms Reichs - a top forensic anthropologist and author.)

The characters are all new, apart from Brennan's ex-husband Pete (although we only got a glimpse of him in the season premiere) plus it is set in Washington DC rather than Canada and Virginia as in the books.

Tempe herself is rather different than the book character. Emily Deschanel is fine, but rather young and headstrong compared to the book Tempe. Even in the one episode, we have seen her rushing into things quite recklessly. I guess they wanted to make her a little more dynamic for TV.

The chemistry between Brennan and Booth (Boreanaz) was pretty good from the start, although they need to handle it properly. Maybe the Mulder and Scully reference is a hint of how they might handle things. However, the crime was a little flimsy. This first episode seemed to focus far more on establishing character and tone than on plot. Probably something that will change with future episodes.

On the whole, Riechs fans can have fun being snooty and complaining about Tempe's drinking and the lack of her cat, but I thought the show had definite possibilities. I know I'm keen to see how things unfold.

This show is brilliant

Author: angelscots1982 from United Kingdom
9 May 2006

I am a massive fan of David Boreanaz so obviously i started watching this show for him alone, but to my delight this is turning out to be one of the most well-rounded show there has been on television in years. Despite what people might have thought of David Boreanaz's acting abilities, by starring in Bones he has proved that he is a well rounded actor whom can take any role and make it his own. The rest of the cast has been perfectly selected to bounce of David and make the show the best there can be. Also i am impressed with how Emily has turned out as an actor, in the first few episodes i thought she was a bit of a hollow actress, kind of carboardy, but i have since been proved very wrong and feel bad for terrible of how quick i judged her. I can only hope than this show continues to be made for a least another couple of years so we fans can find out as much as there is to know about our beloved characters. P.S To Fox Please please do not be as cruel as the bigwigs at the WB and cancel this show at the prime of it's run as it would be a dying shame and also doing this would grossly reduce your viewers. Thanks Danielle

Same/Different

Author: JM Grayvoice from United States
14 September 2005

I watched the show and it did feel familiar, yet fresh also. Emily/Temperance is very convincing and the rest of the cast isn't your every day cute side kicks. They seem like real squints, and that is a whole other world they live in. A bit of a stretch on the Holographic skull and body stuff. I'll go with you there, but only if you let the squint out of the lab more.

David B is and always will be Angel to some people, watch this show and you'll come away thinking its more Angelus than Angel, the humor and comic timing between him and Emily has the makings of a Moonlighting relationship if, IF the writers want to play it out that way. All in all, a good show, directing was crisp the photography was also good.

Liked it enough to keep watching

Author: Cagey from United States
15 September 2005

I found the first 15 minutes or so to be a little "trite". The characters didn't seem to fit comfortably in their skin. But by the end of the pilot I was very much interested, especially in the forensics aspect. I have a friend who is an anthropologist and I'm going to get her opinion about the Dr. Brennan character.

The series has a lot of potential and I especially like that unlike X Files, these characters are dealing with "real life" events rather than other worldly events.

I think the lead actors are good together and am looking forward to the building of their chemistry together. Whether as working partners or romantics, I don't care, I just want there to be a degree of tension between them that will keep things interesting.

there's potential!

Author: Tina Rasmussen from Denmark
1 October 2005

It has got potential that is for sure. I know there are a lot of forensic shows out there at the moment so what do we need one more for? Well it is always nice to see nerds being portrayed in a positive manner, and if this is how we get David Boreanaz back on our TV-screens on a regular basis then that is fine with me. Yes that was a totally brainless and girly thing for me to say but it is the honest to God truth so there you have it. Also I would like to defend this show for it only being what, 3 or so episodes old and we all know that a show can change quite a bit as it goes. So how does this stand out from all those other forensic show? Well I think it was about time that somebody realized that anthropology is more than just observing people in the rain forest or whatever, but that in fact it is a very useful science. I for one is looking forward to being entertained in the future. Because really is that not what it is all about - entertainment?

Page 1 of 17:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]