IMDb > Space Jam (1996) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

It's got game

Author: SpideyTerry from Ardmore, PA
25 September 2000

Space Jam is a very enjoyable movie featuring probably the most popular cartoon characters ever. The plot may seem rather weak to you and me, but let's not forget that this movie was made for children. Space Jam has all the humor of the classic shorts that made us love Bugs, Daffy and all the rest. Michael Jordan actually wasn't that bad in this movie, considering he is not a professional actor. Bill Murray was very hilarious. Thumbs up on this one.

"That's all folks!"

MJ and Bugs slam dunk in "Space Jam"

Author: NYKMarin8161 (Jmarin816@hotmail.com) from Elmwood Park, NJ
26 October 2003

I saw "Space Jam" the first day it was released in November of '96. I was eight years old, and of course like any child, I loved it. I thought Michael Jordan's acting was great and the film was a masterpiece. Fast forward to 2003, and I still love it. Jordan's acting ain't that great but nonetheless I can still sit down and watch the whole movie, and love every minute of it. What upsets me about this movie is that it is hard to find on DVD. I've been trying to look for it for years, but I just heard that it will be released on a special edition DVD. When I get it, I'll probably watch it everyday.

This is a must for children and those Jordan freaks (like myself)

*** out of ****

I Was Entertained

Author: Theo Robertson from Isle Of Bute, Scotland
26 February 2005

I notice a lot of people have very few kind words to say about SPACE JAM . I must admit that being a Scot I have little interest in basketball and know very little of the career of Michael Jordan ( Who's Michael Jordan ? ) but I still found this movie to be fair entertainment . I guess a lot of people dislike this movie because Mr Jordan played for such and such a basketball team

A bunch of evil aliens invade Looney Tunes World and cast the cartoon characters into slavery and it's left to a sports legend to save them ! Come on guys , plots don't come anymore original than that so what's there to dislike ? We also have a subplot of the aliens interfering with other basketball players which did cause some amusement to this audience member . Also very enjoyable were the number of cameos that crept up through the movie , most notably Bill Murray

Okay I wouldn't say SPACE JAM is as great as WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT but it's still an entertaining family movie regardless of how you feel about sport . With this in mind I'm totally puzzled why my local ITV station decided to broadcast it at 1.10 am !

Simply Fun

Author: Rebochan from Orange County, CA
23 June 2001

If you're looking for intelligent, high-brow comedy...what is WRONG with you, this is a LOONEY TUNES MOVIE! Sheesh...this film is nothing outstanding, but it is simply fun. I'm sure that Michael Jordan enjoyed star billing, but as is usually the case when your co-star is a cartoon rabbit with more than 50 years of experience behind him (and one of the best catch phrases in cinema), he is up-staged by Bugs Bunny. Oh, not to say that Jordan turned in a poor performance. Thank goodness this guy at least seems to have a good sense of humor.But there's some simple, pure enjoyment in watching this film. I got a kick out of the big basketball game, and found the sequence with Bugs and Daffy retrieving Michael's lucky boxers to be a riot. Yea, the plot is pretty hare-brained ('scuse me, Bugs...duck-brained;D), but it's nothing unworthy of Looney Tunes. Don't ever forget that-this is a Looney Tunes film. They got away with using anything for a plot, and this movie is in the same tradition. It's like asking a movie about Beavis and Butthead to be artful and dramatic. Looney Tunes represent the goofy side of animation, and this film adheres well to that philosophy. I recommend this for any fan of Looney Tunes...oh yea, if your a sports fan, you should enjoy it too. I, a mild basketball fan, really enjoyed myself.

The Good & Bad Of 'Space Jam'

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
25 May 2007

GOOD - Simply an enjoyable movie; lots of fun to watch and highlighted by a humorous Basketball game. Also, the surround sound is very good, the colors are beautiful, the cartoon effects well done and funny. Some of the humor is laugh-out-loud variety. As with a many good animated movies, there is so much to see and hear it would take many viewings to catch all the gags. With each viewing, you'll laugh at things you never noticed before.

As far as "live" actors working with cartoon figures, this was much better done than the earlier "Who Framed Roger Rabbit," so progress has been made in that area. While there is a lot going on, there are enough lulls to give viewers periodic breaks. The basketball action is fun to watch and I was surprised how well real-life stars Larry Bird and Michael Jordan acted.

BAD - The story gets a little too juvenile in spots. The PC-minded female character (rabbit) is overly feminist, to the point of irritation and the occult gets far too much credibility in this story. Also, there are a few sexual innuendos in here that adults would catch but, hopefully, not little kids.

OVERALL, a movie that appeals to adults and kids. Basketball fans will really enjoy it.

Good cartoon with plenty for adults – more than just selling products

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
30 December 2002

A group of aliens arrive in Loony Tune world and challenge the inhabitants to a battle for the ownership of that world. Seeing the aliens are tiny, Bugs Bunny decides a game of basketball should be easily won. However the aliens steal the talent from several NBA players and look set to win easily. However Bugs and Daffy kidnap Michael Jordan and ask for his help.

At the time of release I must admit that I wasn't keen on seeing this film as the whole merchandising thing had left me with a sour taste in my mouth, putting me off the film. Happy Meals and such were everywhere! Later I saw it on TV, away from all the hype and found it enjoyable but not great. The plot is silly, but who cares – it's a cartoon. The comedy is good and has plenty for kids with the cartoon characters doing cartoon things, but also for adults. The film is full of in-jokes for adults ranging from a 3 second spoof of Pulp Fiction to some really funny lines – `oh great, no one told me Dan Aykroyd was in this film' when Bill Murray makes an appearance, was my favourite. Also as a big basketball (and Knick) fan it was fun to have tonnes of basketball stars make fun of themselves as well.

However it is a cartoon at heart and I imagine that those who don't like pratfalls etc and aren't basketball fans won't be laughing all the time. Also, surprisingly for Jordan's first film, the basketball action is pretty poor. I know it didn't have to be realistic but the great man is amazing enough in action without giving him amazing rubber arms etc with special effects.

Jordan is good and is a better actor than others I've seen, but he is only playing himself and not that naturally either! The support cast is where the money is and they all work well. Whether it be the cartoon characters or adults they all do what they have to. De Vito is funny and Randle is sexy but as usual Murray steals each and every scene he is in!

Overall this manages to be more than a sales drive for Happy Meals (although the McDonalds product placement is a bit tasteless – hey! Just like the burgers!) and is an enjoyable film. The kids will be happy with the cartoon element and most adults will like the in-jokes and the NBA players making jokes at their expense.

Slam Dunk For Bugs

Author: EmperorNortonII from San Francisco, California
4 May 2001

One of my earliest inspirations was Bugs Bunny and the Warner Bros. Looney Tunes. This movie brings back all the favorites. And not just Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck and the other stars. This movie features every character that ever appeared in a Warner Bros. cartoon. Your eyes are certainly kept busy looking for each one! Pairing the animation with Michael Jordan's athletic abilities may seem a little mismatched. But the game just becomes that much more enjoyable.

Silly but hard to dislike

Author: Wayne Malin (wwaayynnee51@hotmail.com) from United States
2 April 2008

Movie about Michael Jordan and the Looney Tunes characters (Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Roadrunner etc etc). An evil animated monster runs Moron Mountain--a planet with an amusement park. They need a new ride so he sends five helpers to Earth to kidnap the Looney Tunes characters. Then they can be used as a new act at the amusement park. Bugs and the others agree--IF they play them in a basketball game and win. Bugs and the others convince Michael Jordan to help them--but the aliens have evil plans up their sleeve.

Michael Jordan meets the Looney Tunes. Sounds like a sure recipe for disaster. I was positive this film was going to be a bomb when it was released (with HEAVY publicity) in 1996. Yes--it's silly but if you love Looney Tunes (like I do) you'll probably love this. The characters are treated (more or less) respectfully and during the climatic basketball game the stands are full of every Warner Bros. cartoon character ever made. One small mouse character who talks nonstop I remembered from childhood and I literally broke up laughing when he appeared! The animation is just great, the merging of live action with cartoon figures works and the script is fun. There are groaners and stupid lines but, all in all, it was pretty amusing.

The debits: Michael Jordan just can't act. I'm sure he was a wonderful basketball player but his acting was as wooden as a basketball court. Also various other sports figures pop up and prove they're worse actors than Jordan! Bill Murray (who can be good) is just lousy in a supporting role. And Wayne Knight is just SO annoying. Also I could have lived without seeing the Warner Bros. logo popping up everywhere. At one point it's on Daffy Duck's butt...and he kisses it! And there's a brief take-off on "Pulp Fiction" which isn't as funny now as it was in 1996. So, these things lessen the movie but don't destroy it. Worth catching if you're a Warner Bros. animation fan. Kids will love it. I give it a 7.

A good movie.

Author: Kayla Moore from United States
2 October 2005

This movie was intended to be a kid's movie! And all of us MJ fans alike respect the movie simply because he was in it. The acting wasn't bad -- it was just on a children's level... of which it was intended! I really liked Space Jam when I was younger, I still like the movie from time to time, even. So saying it is like a Muppets movie is absurd! I do agree that Marvin the Martian should have been the villain, mainly because DeVito's character got on my nerves. I LOVE the fact that they brought a girl character... and presented her as the best ball player (aside from Jordan). During this time, we were all about political correction! I think this movie suits its own time and appeals to its intended audience.

Family entertainment with the Loony Tunes, Michael Jordan and Bill Murray!!!!!!

Author: Greatwhitewhale from London, England
26 October 2003

A nice family film but really, it's bringing back the Loony Tunes characters in a more modern field and letting the fact that Michael Jordan with them will make Jordan fans want to see this.

But the Loony tunes still got it, Daffy Duck's as stupid as ever, Bugs Bunny still thinking he's so great and the new arrival of Babs Bunny does make you think of the new Minnie Mouse for Bugs Bunny. Wayne Knight's good, Bill Murray funny and Michael Jordan....well, his acting's not too bad till he arrived in the Loony tune land.

So a good film to watch with kids and eat popcorn.

Page 1 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]