IMDb > Dumb & Dumber (1994) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Dumb & Dumber

Dumb & Dumber More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 42:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Will most likely continue to be the funniest movie of all time.

Author: cornhol675 from Boston
1 February 2006

Dumb and Dumber is a stupid movie, but what some people don't understand is that is what it is supposed to be! It's about two completely pathetic, dumb, and hopeless guys who do nothing but make complete fools of themselves. Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels give the greatest comedic performances and form the best duo that has ever graced a screen. Every scene, every sentence they speak, and every body movement is pure genius. The way that each of them deliver their lines makes this movie an all time classic that will never get old. I never understood how someone could not like this movie. The only explanation I could have is they think they are too "intelligent" for a "dumb movie" like this. What they don't even understand that it's not the jokes or gags that make this movie so great, it is all in the performances. To those of you who do not like this movie please give it another try and watch Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels play the roles that they were meant to play.

Best comedy ever

Author: chunkalunk3 from annapolis, maryland
1 June 2003

For all of you that say this movie is not funny, you must be crazy, this is the best comedy ever, with the best performances in the careers for daniels and jim carrey if you haven't seen this movie yet go out right now and movie i promise it wont dissapoint

That's a lovely accent you have. New Jersey?

Author: pete_doyle7 from Solihull, UK
6 March 2006

Best film ever... why;

Lloyd; That's a lovely accent you have. New Jersey? Lady at bus stop; Austria. Lloyd; Austria! Well, then. G'day mate! Let's put another shrimp on the barbie!

Harry; Yeah I called her up, she gave me a bunch of crap about me not listening to her, or something, I don't know, I wasn't really paying attention.

Harry; According to the map we've only gone 4 inches.

Mary; So you'll pick me up tonight at 7:45? Harry; Well I got a few things to take care of. So how about we make it quarter to 8? Mary; Stop it Harry: Okay. 7:45

Need I say more... this film has it all comedy comedy comedy... that is all you need. I have heard people say that this film is just stupid, well they are right it is about 2 stupid guys doing a stupid thing in a stupid way and you just love them to bits for it... Okay it was not Forest Gump in the way Tom Hanks played the slow guy come good with what I would say was one of the best performances by any actor of all time but it was very funny. I almost swallowed my tongue, spat out my drink twice almost peed myself and watched it so many times I know the script even now 10 years on I still laugh it my friends eternal Harry and Lloyd...

By far Jim Carrey's funniest movie, Dumb & Dumber delivers the best laughs to come to the silver screen in years.

Author: Michael DeZubiria (wppispam2013@gmail.com) from Luoyang, China
3 September 2000

From beginning to end, Dumb & Dumber is sheer hilarity. There is not a slow moment in the adventures of Harry and LLoyd, two great but incredibly unintelligent friends who decide to move to Aspen, Colorado to get out of their dead-end lives in Providence, Rhode Island. Jim Carrey delivers a side-splitting performance as Lloyd, the lovestruck limo driver who first suggested the trip to Aspen ("We got no food, we got no jobs, our pets HEADS ARE FALLIN' OFF!!"), mostly so that he can find Mary Swanson (Lauren Holly), the woman he fell in love with after he drove her to the airport in Providence.

Lloyd's and Harry's adventures on their trip are absolutely hilarious to watch, especially their run-ins with the criminals who are chasing them, trying to get the briefcase that Harry and Lloyd do not know is full of ransom cash. One of the best things about this film is that it never strays too far from reality. There is never anything presented that could not possibly happen in real life. Also, the original and strikingly funny comedy that was written for the film is great! I can't remember ever laughing this hard at a movie.

Dumb & Dumber takes a good story, adds some tear-inducing comedy, some endlessly hilarious dialogue ("I guess they're right, old people, though slow and dangerous behind the wheel, can still serve a purpose. Don't you go dyin' on me!"), and needlessly good direction and molds one of the funniest films ever. Good for all ages, Dumb & Dumber is sheer unadulterated comedy and is destined to become a classic.

Funniest Farrley's Brother movie you will ever see...

Author: Pookyiscute from Nyiregyhaza, Hungary
28 December 2005

It's hard to find a Farrley's Brother which isn't funny, and this is even harder to classify as, 'not funny'...because it is the funniest!

Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels team up as the not just odd, but strange, weird and mentally disabled couple.

After losing both of their jobs on the same day, Lloyd (Carrey), who retrieved a bag which a woman he drove to the airport leaves in the terminal, encourages his friend Harry to come with him to Aspen where the girl flew to. They think that the gas company is after them since they didn't pay their bill, but is actually the kidnappers of Mary (Holly)'s husband, who were supposed to pick up the money where she left it in the airport terminal.

From their start in Rhode Island, until they arrive in Aspen, the kidnappers follow Harry (Daniels)and Lloyd, along the road. The script is the most well-written comedy I think ever, because every thing that they do in the movie, leads to something new and funny that ends up happening to them later on.

Their are more than a few funny scenes, and the dialogue is always right-on.

I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys Farrley Brothers' movies, or anyone who likes Jim Carrey. It's a hilarious comedy and the two stars were perfectly casted, especially Jim Carrey, of course.

And now, an excerpt from the film,

"Skies, huh?" "That's right." "They yers?" "Yup." "Both of them?"

A movie that lives up to its title

Author: lambiepie-2 from Los Angeles, CA
17 May 2003

When this first came out in 1994, wild horses couldn't drag me to the theater to see it. Why? Preconceived notions. Thank goodness for Cable TV, or I never would have seen this film. I like it, it makes me laugh.

This is not a masterpiece. This is not an academy award winning film, not a film of strategic plots, this is as sophomoric as it gets -- and that's fine with me. Sometimes, ya gotta escape. This'll do it.

The title says it all. Jeff Daniels and Jim Carrey are perfect for their roles, every time I watch this film uncut, I am laughing. I was always thinking, "How dumb can you get?" And in the next frame it gets dumber.

This is one of those films you just have fun with. Either you like this kind of humor or you don't. But the world is in such turmoil, this is a welcomed, stupid, silly, break that hits just the right spot. I find it "stupid-funny" beyond belief.

a barrel of laughs! (and more...)

Author: Juan Andrés Celis Pérez (jacp@ctcreuna.cl) from Santiago, Chile
14 August 1998

Destined to become a classic in its genre, DUMB & DUMBER reaches its objective of making people laugh off their seats, in a film that crowns Carrey as the modern Lewis & gives Daniels a great chance to show us his lighter side. This is the kind of movie you want to see 100 times, with pranks & puns so silly you love to hate! high moments are Daniel`s bout with the toilet, the parakeet incident, and Jim Carrey`s love declaration to a schoolboy. If U R not silly and have no sense of humor, and basically are not alive , don`t watch this movie...otherwise, rent the video, order some pizza & beer and prepare for 1999: Dumb & Dumber (The early years) Two fingers up

A different kind of comedy

Author: JohnLennonLives from Canada
22 February 2006

Harry and Lloyd are not your standard comedy duo. After all these years I still can't tell who's the brains of this pathetic operation: Harry or Lloyd. Jeff Daniels has never portrayed an oaf as likable as Harry Dunne before--all his character's were quite respectable and normal prior to Dumb & Dumber. Carrey's been crazy--Ace Ventura, the Mask--but never stupid.

This is the story about two dead-beat buddies that cannot maintain a steady job. Lloyd falls in love with a young lady named Mary after driving her to the airport. She leaves her briefcase inside the airport --deliberately to pay a ransom-- and Lloyd snags it. The rest of the movie is a road trip from Providence to Aspen to return it to its rightful owner.

This is Bobby and Peter Farrelly's directorial debut; they do a wonderful job. Years later they teamed up with Carrey again to film "Me Myself and Irene," which was a great movie, but even though the movie was nastier, even though it contained a chicken up a filthy pig's ass, it still couldn't match the wonderful grossness Peter, Bobby, Jim & Jeff provided in one of the funniest films in cinema history. 4 stars.

"Dumb and Dumber" is really "Funny and Funnier"

Author: iggyivan from United States
2 November 2006

This movie goes from joke to joke constantly and never misses a beat. I could not stop laughing the first time I saw it, and the tenth time I saw it, and the hundredth time I saw it. This movie never gets old. There is not one single dull moment. The movie takes off and never lets up, not even enough to let you breathe. There is something absolutely mesmerizing and hilarious about Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels' performances as the lovable idiots Lloyd Christmas( Jim Carrey) and Harry Dunne (Jeff Daniels).

The movie starts out in Providence, Rhode Island with two guys who are down on their luck. They've just lost their jobs, are late on the gas bill(again), and make the best of a bad situation by returning a briefcase they've recovered to its rightful owner, an attractive woman named Mary (Lauren Holly). And Lloyd(Carrey), has fallen madly in love with Mary after driving her to the airport. It just so happens that Mary lives all the way across the country, in Aspen, Colorado (or is it California?) Sure its crazy and stupid, but they've got nothing to lose, so they take off in their 84' sheepdog. And let's face it, if we were them, we'd go too.

Dumb and Dumber was not pretentious, the actors never made you feel like they were in on the joke. No, they played it with a straight face the whole way through, and that's really the best way to do comedy. Even when they aren't speaking, their body language alone is enough to elicit huge laughs. The reactions and facial expressions are perfect.

The film wasn't warmly received by a lot of critics, but only because they couldn't lower their snouts long enough to realize that this was not another movie about dumb guys, but really a film about earnest guys. And they are pathetically funny just being themselves. They play stupid games in the car to pass the time, and sing aloud to keep from getting bored, and have crazy dreams of one day opening up a worm store.

The movie plays out with a high spirit and feel good attitude that can't be matched. And the soundtrack is perfect; it really sets the tone and never feels out of place.

Really, truly, without a doubt, the best comedy ever made. I will treasure this movie forever, and even when I watch it the 101st time, I know it'll make me laugh... and laugh... and laugh till it hurts.

The film is well paced and has a spontaneous nature that lacks in most comedies. Behind all the stupidness, there is a real glow of brilliance. The fact is, more than all the goofiness and crazy antics, "Dumb and Dumber" is a film full of smarts, and that's what we end up admiring the most.

Played Strictly For Laughs

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
29 April 2006

It's hard to believe this was out over a decade ago, but it was another in a long line (past few decades) of crude comedies....BUT one of the better ones regarding some laugh-out-loud funny scenes.

The "classic" of the funny scenes, at least to most men including me, is poor Jeff Daniels on the toilet. No need to go into details! As crazy as Jim Carrey got in some of his earlier movies (Ace Ventura, Liar, Liar, etc) he's actually lower-key than in some of the other stupid-guy roles he played, one reason because he's doesn't shout in here. I didn't find the female lead in here, Lauren Holley, to be appealing but that's just my opinion.

In modern-day slapstick, it means one basic thing: gross out your audience, so that's what is attempted here. When it works, it's very funny, such as that bathroom scene.. One thing for sure: the language makes this an R-rated film, not PG-13. Speaking of jokes, that PG-13 rating has become a joke.

Anyway, you should get a lot of laughs out this: at least I suspect males will more than females....and that's all it was meant for - laughs, and nothing else - so don't trash the film because it wasn't "intelligent" enough for you.

Page 1 of 42:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]