The Muppet Christmas Carol (1992) Poster

156 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
One of the must-see holiday classics
The Don-313 December 2002
While the 1951 Alistair Sim version of A Christmas Carol is the most faithful to the original Dickens story, A Muppet Christmas Carol possesses heart, whimsey, and a joy that is so very much lacking in our evermore commercialized holiday season. Michael Caine's performance as Scrooge easily surpasses those of Reginald Owen (1938), George C. Scott (1984) and Patrick Stewart (2001). There is a more genuine degree of transformation and redemption in his characterization than has often been portrayed. This makes the story a truly wonderful experience both for adults as well as for children.

The use of the Muppets in the various roles makes for a lively film experience. Statler and Waldorf as Jacob & Robert Marley are appropriately heckling as they seek to convince Scrooge to change his ways. Kermit the Frog is a wonderfully sympathetic Bob Crachit just as Miss Piggy is appropriately and aggressively belligerent Mrs. Crachit. Perhaps one of the better-inspired comedy bits comes with the arrival of Scrooge and the Ghost of Christmas Past at Scrooge's former workplace, described as "Fozziwig's Rubber Chicken Factory." Such bits are frequent and help to keep the story fun. Paul Williams' music score and songs are eminently singable and leave the viewer with a lasting memory.

A Muppet Christmas Carol has joined the pantheon of classic holiday films, easily ranking alongside Holiday Inn, White Christmas and A Christmas Story. It is the opinion of this reviewer that for those whom holiday films have become a part of holiday celebration should make this a part of their seasonal experience. One might even complete the film humming the tunes and thinking better of themselves as well as of their fellow humans. In other words, Henson and company have made Dickens story as memorable as Dickens himself wished it to be.
51 out of 55 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Incredibly moving
Starbuck-1315 December 2000
This is just a wonderful telling of Charles Dickens great Christmas story. The story being so good, you would have to try had to make a bad movie out of it. But the Muppet Christmas is a splendid modern version which probably Dickens himself would have liked a lot.

Other than Disney movies, the singing does not get on the nerves and the comic relief is actually funny. Muppet characters we have known for decades like Kermit and especially Gonzo are having great moments.

This is the perfect Christmas movie to watch with kids. It is something to lighten up your soul. And the fate of Tiny Tim is a cause for tears again and again, no matter how often you watch the film.

Merry Christmas!
39 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Does the word "brilliant" mean anything?
bellebook26 December 2000
That question pretty much sums up my reaction to "The Muppet Christmas Carol", a hilarious, yet touching film.

What did I like about the movie? Just about everything! Michael Caine made a great Scrooge, and this film showed us, possibly better than just about any other version I've seen, just how Scrooge came to be such a miser (although that could partly be because the versions I saw which really go into Scrooge's childhood were clearly adult versions, which meant they could be more subtle in their explanations). To Caine's eternal credit, he made Scrooge very believable, which is no small feat considering most of his fellow cast members were puppets.

And what about the Muppets? They were also brilliant! Kermit made an excellent Bob Cratchit, loyal and humble, and he had a wonderful tribute to Tiny Tim which also served as a brilliant tribute to Jim Henson. Miss Piggy was a great Mrs. Cratchit, feisty yet very loving toward Bob (the worst of her temper was thankfully muted by the story). Fozzie the Bear was a hilarious Fozziwig, and The Great Gonzo and Rizzo the Rat made a great team, having some of the best lines out there (my favorite is Rizzo's "Light the lamp, not the rat! Light the lamp, not the rat!"). The ghosts were definitely believable (and in the case of the two Marley Brothers, hilarious as well). Incidentally, the original text had only one Marley -- Jacob, but to get the two comedians from the balcony in the story, Robert Marley was added.

Finally, the songs were rather good, with the best one (in my humble opinion) being "When Love is Gone".

So, I firmly recommend "The Muppet Christmas Carol" to one and all.

Belle Book
33 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
My Favorite Version Of This Famous Story
ccthemovieman-117 April 2006
In terms of humor or songs, I can't honestly rank this was high as most of the other Muppet films BUT it may be the most touching version of the Dickens classic story I've ever seen on film.

The lyrics to the last two songs are fantastic: very Christian-like and very profound. Scrooge (Michael Caine), meanwhile, is not portrayed as some screaming maniac as he so often is in other versions. His transformation from cold-hearted tightwad to caring, generous person is done more subtly, too, than in other films. However, to be fair, sometimes the slapstick humor in here gets in the way of the touching story.

The last part of the movie is a lot sentimental drama than Muppet comedy and I found that refreshing. Not much offensive in here, either, making this a good film for little ones as well as older, sentimental folks.
29 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Charming re-telling of a classic story
rmckean17 June 2003
This is an excellent re-telling of Dickens' classic, with the added twist of Muppet humor and charm. The Muppet characters fit Dickens' characters so well that it would be easy to think he had them in mind while writing. The music adds a magic to the movie that brings out all the emotion that Dickens wrote into the original novel.

This will be hard to top!
24 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
sharply observed, witty, far too good for kids
hilary-franoux23 August 2001
Having seen previous Muppet offerings that were, frankly, banal this little gem almost escaped me. This film is best enjoyed if you already know the Dickens tale inside out so that you can relish the way it has been adapted to fit well-known Muppet characters and also so that you can spend you time watching for the throwaway comedy in the background. This is the same throwaway humour that Nick Park (Chicken Run) has become famous for. I recommend buying this movie on video and getting it out once a year, in the run-up to Christmas, as a family tradition.
21 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
love it
todd2u14 May 2000
I love this movie. I am a big muppet fan, and when this movie came out on video I had to get it. Of course I was in third grade. I watched this movie all the time, and still do around Christmas time. Every December I watch this movie twenty times. Everything about this movie is great. The plot to the music. I especially like the music. I recommend this movie to anyone who likes the Muppets, or the story of The Christmas Carol.
13 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not just for kids!
jann-65 December 2001
I recently rented this movie for my young son. I never imagined that I'd end up liking it more than he does. If you can get past the fact that most of the cast are muppets, this is actually a terrific version of A Christmas Carol. Michael Caine makes a fine Scrooge, one of the best I've ever seen in fact. I usually hate musicals, but all of the songs in this film are great (and the girl who plays Belle - this girl can SING!) The comedy is mostly provided by Gonzo, narrating as Charles Dickens, and his sidekick Rizzo the Rat. The humor is truly funny and appropriately placed (notice how a very good reason is created for Gonzo and Rizzo to exit during the serious Christmas Yet to Come portion .) This is truly one of those movies "for young and old alike", though it will probably go over the heads of very young children. But anyone who generally likes A Christmas Carol should like this version of it.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
God bless us all,every one!
M_Scream8 October 2002
A fine film that will put all you Christmas lovers into a festive,Christmassy mood and even those who aren't so optimistic about the festive season,it will definately lighten your hearts and cheer you up!

The traditonal story of Ebenezer Scrooge-who despises Christmas above everything else is closing up for Christmas Eve and goes off home 'humbugging' everyone who wishes him a 'Merry Christmas'.When he's sitting in his home,he's visited by his old fellow workers-Jacob and Robert Marley and they bring him the news that he will be visited by three ghosts that very night when the clock strikes one.Terrified,Ebenezer goes to bed and is visited by the three ghosts-the ghost of Christmas Past who shows him previous experieneces of Christmas in his own past,The ghost of Christmas Present who shows Ebenezer the present Christmas and finally the ghost of Christmas yet to come who shows Ebenezer his future-which isn't very good.Ebenezer is terrified and vows to change his evil,wicked ways and to rejoice Christmas. And so he does and makes everyone else around him happy.

A fine film portrayed brilliantly by Michael Caine and the muppets-Kermit the frog,Miss.Piggy and The Great Gonzo as Charles Dickens narrating the film himself.The best out of them all!
14 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this