A magician and a doctor attempt to expose the corruption at the heart of India's medical industry.A magician and a doctor attempt to expose the corruption at the heart of India's medical industry.A magician and a doctor attempt to expose the corruption at the heart of India's medical industry.A magician and a doctor attempt to expose the corruption at the heart of India's medical industry.A magician and a doctor attempt to expose the corruption at the heart of India's medical industry.
On the one hand I was expecting way more of this movie, since the advertisement for this movie was nearly perfect. They didn't reveal too much and after watching the movie this teaser really is one of the best conceived we've seen. Well Done! On the other hand I was very pleased by some aspects of this movie.
- the best aspect about this movie is the outstanding performance of Vijay. This might be one of his best performances. Especially in one part of the movie he got a very good fitting character and realized this character very good.
- we can't forget the other performances. People who have experienced the humour of Vadivelu will enjoy this one as well. The three main female actors portrayed their role and their role was fitting to them, too - one of the very few good things about writing a role for the actor. Especially Nithya Menon was outstanding. S.J. Suryah got a stereotype of role(but good, explanation later) and I don't think somebody would have believed, when he debuted as a director, that one day he will give such great performances. Another good work of him. Actually every actor did succeed in fulfilling the purpose of the character.
- although I'm quite disappointed with the story, the characters have been very well-conceived. There is one character, which steals the whole show. Now just one more note to the antagonist: yes, it's kind of a clichéd role. But in this case this stereotype was necessary. You will understand that after watching the movie.
- The score of A.R.Rahman and the placement of the songs were amazing. Especially in the flashback portion the music really play with the emotions.
- I actually enjoy a very good movie even, if I don't agree to the message of the movie(for example in V for Vendetta I felt like that). But in this movie I'm very thankful for bringing this topic back in the game. It's actually one of the big negative aspects in India and it's not only good that this topic is shown. On top of that it's tough and very good conceived, how the conveyance of the message was executed.
Not good enough:
- the story wasn't bad, but it wasn't up to the standards of my expectation at the writing team, which included one of the most respected writer in India, Vijayendra Prasad. One of the biggest nuisance factor was that this movie had unnecessary masala elements(in India a movie, which contains something from everything and isn't really bound to a genre, are called "masala movies"). In Theri for example the emotions were combined very good. The transitions had a smooth flow, while in Mersal some mood changes felt so unfitting.
- the debutante DOP G.K.Vishnu did a decent job, but the magic of the Atlee and George(Atlee's main DOP) would have been better. Sometimes the cinematography just didn't fit to the story-telling good enough. But hats off for his first big work!
So all in all, you should reduce your expectations a little bit before watching this movie. Mersal is a very emotional movie, which still contains a lot of "masala" elements.
- Oct 25, 2017