I Used to Be Famous (2022) Poster

A gentle but enjoyable feel-good movie
darrelltill16 September 2022
If you're cynical you could criticise this film for being cliché and predictable, but if you're looking for a film with a bit of heart, hope, and a happy ending, you can't go wrong with this. It's a very simple story that relies on you simply enjoying the ride. A huge chunk of the film is original music; one sequence has 3 songs in a row which was a brave choice but it worked. I'd rather watch something like this than some of the big-budget rubbish Netflix has produced. I'm also surprised at the 15 rating, there were just a couple of swear words but nothing else that would warrant a restriction, so it could be enjoyed by all ages.
82 out of 87 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Peckhams Finest
mak_60020 September 2022
Nicely acted with solid, if not exceptional, performances all round, in essence this is a simple, human story of friendship, hope and redemption set in and around the wonderfully diverse Peckham, South London. Focusing on the relationship between an ex boy band musician trying to reignite the past and an autistic boy drummer drifting into adulthood, there is a lot of tugging at the heart strings here and it only just about manages to stay on the right side of overdoing the sentimentality. Having said all that, what the story may lack in subtlety and poise, it more than compensates with heart and soul. Rather good.
28 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Extra Cheese Please
TheWordYo16 September 2022
This is 100% the cheesiest movie of 2022 and you will love it.

Soundtrack is awesome Who really cares about the acting and yes it could be shorter but it's a pooper sad happy movie.

So many things they could have done to make the movie better and the backstory has too many holes in it to even try and think about.

You are either in or you're out and I'm sure people will give it a low rating off the back of the above and talk about people with autism however the movie is not based on that, it's really about finding some happiness in friendship.

Glad we watched it, I hope you do too.

Did I mention the OST!

Enjoy.
37 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lovely Sunday Afternooner
GalAlba17 September 2022
This film is a, Sunday afternoon, feet up watch.

It's not a game changer. You're head isn't going to spin. It's just a nice story & that's fine.

Obviously doesn't have a massive budget, but, doesn't need it. Everybody does their job with no stand out performances, but, the film, once again, is fine without any.

It's a nice TV movie. No agenda's are being pushed. There are no victims in Chinese sweatshop sneakers or bedroom martyrs to be found & the movie is better for it.

Find a free afternoon, cuddle up, into someone else, a cushion or yourself & watch. Have a wee snooze afterwards if you want & then treat yourself to a takeaway & some popcorn popping sci-fi before bed.

The end.
27 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nice film
jonodanmatt17 September 2022
Good message from this film A bit cheesey But the filming was great Struggle to success style film Very original well done director.

The struggle of making music is very hard and a lot of people do not appreciate it Ed is a good actor but typically plays a bad guy or an alpha male type I'm sure he will get praise from this movie Ironing board for a stand in the beginning was very well thought of Just a shame this is bit more famous The kid was on point and it's shows a few things that most people would miss The autistic demonstration was very good and the young actor will get praise from this.
22 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Finally a feel good movie with heart
josborn513625 September 2022
Finally a movie that made me feel good and feel hope in the nation otherwise facing such adversity. Everything that is streaming seems to be so negative and aggressive. These are the types of movies we need.

The two main actors were very good and it's finally good to see new, fresh faces in this industry. I can actually see them going on and acting another films. I'm also very glad to see a young man on the spectrum and a starring role. He did an amazing job and he is a phenomenal musician.

Thank you for doing this movie, we need more like them. Congrats to the other actors who participated in this movie. They did an amazing job.
17 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just watch it - you'll be better for it.
mlb-2830 September 2022
I've started to enjoy these standalone brit movies with unknown characters and actors more and more and this is a good example. It's clean, well acted, feel good and a nice story even if it is predicable, but that doesn't matter because the pace and dialogue make it real. No flash stuff, just realism and a good story, yes can be a bit cheezy but all for the right reasons. The cast and actor selection is excellent and work well and the straight forward production concise. The Stevie character is fabulous throughout and show how strong and important EVERYONE is. Watch this film - you will be better for it.
12 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's not going to win any Oscars...but who cares!
aneville-3536219 September 2022
This was a good film, with some nice moments which made you feel good.

I gave it 7 because every film/TV show at the moment is either just depressing/graphic or has to have an ironic bitter sweet ending for the sake of being "edgy" or "ground breaking".

This film was different because it dropped the need to avoid any cliche's and instead steer into them and the result is a film you can sit and watch, while laughing at a few digs at 90's boy band groups, before walking away feeling a little happier as a result.

Netflix produced another gem here and I applaud them for using the UK as the backdrop of this story, In particular London's vibrant music culture which is something that is often overlooked.
26 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lovely warm feeling
Pieceofperu19 September 2022
What a lovely film. Not what I was expecting - it was a much slower approach with no special effects or massive plot lines. However we did get a gentle film with lots of warmth and feelings, music, relationships, inspiration and development. Great acting from everyone involved and a really diverse and inclusive cast. Fabulous London scenery. The main character despite his own flaws still inspires and changes people he meets on his journey and he develops from meeting them. I felt like the film took a very natural plotline and every decision felt in character and not just a plot tool. It was a gorgeous lovely feel good film which made me sob like a baby.
24 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Friendship in Unlikely Places
albertval-6956011 October 2022
What is there not to like about this film? It simply touches one's heart strings with its simplicity and honesty.

Vince and Stevie are an uncommon pair but they click igniting a poignant, memorable story.

One doesn't need to watch spectacularly budgeted film productions to come up with a work of art as this one.

Kudos to Leo Long who, despite his condition (he being neurodiverse), succeeds in coming up with an adorable performance. I've watched actors effectively play roles with mental issues and Leo Long as Stevie doesn't disappoint in this one. Ed Skrein's performance as the washed-up musician is subdued and controlled reflecting the inner tension that he must contend with although he doesn't always succeed as he explodes in one scene.

This is a story of unlikely friendship between two individuals fighting their own issues who, in the end, help each other out to become better persons.

Watch it now than later.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Music & Fiction
Idle_Hands0819 September 2022
There is something about these fictional musical stories that seem right at home on the small screen. The last one "Yesterday" was excellent, and this story brings an unlikely due together, but it's the drama that keeps you watching.

We all struggle at times in our lives, and it's often the what if, or the motivation to keep moving forward like the characters in this story that make life what it is... Persistence and a positive attitude even when it seems like life won't cut you a break, this is what these type of characters are up against. Watching unknown actors also adds to the realism of these type of small stories...

Decent casual viewing...
9 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Far better than I expected
acplc17 September 2022
A down on his luck former boy band singer is struggling to get even a pub gig or actually finish a song he's writing until when busking one day he his joined by an autistic drummer and they feel an affinity for each other. You might think at this point that it's going to be another twee and condascending film about people wth special needs but the story has depth and deals with the problems both the lead characters face with realism and a believable story structure. I don't want to put any spoilers in so it's difficult to explain the twists in the film without giving too much away. Suffice to say it is a heartwarming film and well worth a watch. The character of Stevie is played by Leo Long who, in real life is a neurodiverse person.
14 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
ALL SURFACE NO DEPTH...!
masonfisk6 October 2022
A recent Netflix original. When a has been boy band member, Ed Skrein, now finds himself in adulthood, he's been regulated to hitting London streets to busk for a living but during one momentous outing he comes across a young lad, Leo Long (a boy on the autistic spectrum), who provides percussive accompaniment to his synth twindles attracting a willing & appreciative audience. Hoping to make a move back into the big time & getting the tentative okay from Long's mom, Eleanor Matsuura (from The Walking Dead), they hit a night club to perform which ends up being a disaster when a drunken patron hassles Long & Skrein comes to his rescue but of course in the modern age of viral videos, their captured interrupted performance has garnered some attention & Skrein's old bandmate (now a solo artist embarking on a new tour) reaches out for the pair to be an opening act. Will it go down as planned or will disappointment be the meal of the day? Nothing new under the sun w/some okay tunes to carry the film along but the performances & story are definitely surface not being especially deep putting this film in the background noise category.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Heartwarming true story
trinaboice11 October 2022
IN A NUTSHELL: The story follows Vince, a desperate former pop star who dreams of making a comeback. An impromptu jam session with autistic young drummer named Stevie sparks an unexpected friendship between the two misunderstood musicians.

This is Eddie Sternberg's directorial debut.

THINGS I LIKED: Ed Skrein does a great job creating a flawed protagonist who keeps us rooting for him.

Leo Long and Eleanor Matsuura paint a realistic picture of life with autism.

The story is very sweet and will, most likely, evoke a tear or two in the end. It's not overly complicated, but pretty easy/breezy with tons of heart.

It's a lovely illustration of the power of music on all of us.

It's fun to spend time in England as we see their streets, homes, people, and activities.

THINGS I DIDN'T LIKE: It's extremely predictable.

It would have been more fun if the story were based on characters in real life.

Americans might have a hard time understanding the British accent at times.

TIPS FOR PARENTS: Some profanity.

A teen with autism is portrayed.

Bullying

THEMES: Musicians People on the spectrum (autism) Hope Second chances Family Limitations others put on us Courage

You can see the full review on the Movie Review Mom YouTube channel.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Give It A Chance
Maxax77715 October 2022
Stick with it - this movie actually has a lot of heart! It's a little slow in a few places but it delivers as it goes! It's a good movie - one of the better ones I've seen lately - again - it's a little slow - but it's got a lot of good moments to it - just give it a chance and watch it all you'll enjoy it! Also, it's got a pretty decent soundtrack too! You have to give it just a little credit here and there and go along with it - but overall it was a surprisingly good movie! It's probably not really a 10 - but I gave it s 10 just based on all the heart this movie has. Just stick with it, you'll be glad you did!
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bloody Amazing!!
charlottevig20 September 2022
So soul touching!!!

It's incredible how you can change a persons life by just showing an example or a lead of the way. Clearly it's a purpose for showing the unshowing. What I mean is Vince is trying to improve a Autistic persons life by helping the young lad have an improve and independent life. You don't see much autistic or other disabilities gaining fame unless it's a charity event. This could be a start of a new example. It's not because your different that you can't succeed like others. It's also a beautiful bond between two human beings and a great way of showing that kindness leads a long way.

A must watch for all the family!!!
17 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A feel good movie
a-clinch125 September 2022
In this world of depressing news, this is exactly the type of film that we need. Make you cry, laugh, smile and want to help others and be a friend.

A film that gives you pause about your own priorities. Acting is great. It has a rawness to it that works.

Not sugary at all. Just what you need to put a smile on your face and give your heart some extra warmth.

The equivalent of a rom com but this time it is about a kid with autism and an adult with his own challenges.

Their friendship will help both of them find themselves in this world that we all know is a tough one.

Loved the music as well.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If you don't get tears after watching you are not a human
vishalchanderd21 September 2022
Well!! This movie made me cry, laugh & smile. That the magic of this movie. The characters are just like they are living next door and it wakes up all the emotions in you matching all your past and people who currently lives with you. The world needs more people like them. If this becomes real, there will be no person left suffering. None needs special needs when you can give them your attention and love. That's the beauty of this film.

I learned so much and I will take these learnings to spread across the people I meet in my everyday life.

Every scene requires special applause and more movie like these need to come out regular to stop world getting into wars. This era is not for wars but only for love and affection. Cheers to team!!
11 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beautiful moving movie
alvahorgan22 September 2022
12 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Surprisingly decent
thorben-tews-775-95910016 September 2022
Went into this because I wanted to have something in the background while working from home, but got invested in the story more than I anticipated.

Even if the overarching storyline is a little by the book and quite predictable the details and especially backstory of some characters make it work well.

The acting was at least decent and strong at times in my opinion. The music works quite well and adds to the general vibe rather than take away from it.

If you are looking for a "feel-good-movie" about second (& first) chances, look no further.

Would even give a 7,5 if possible.

⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡and a half.
15 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Surprising Little Gem
september-4218421 October 2022
I went into this with pretty low expectations. I mean, let's be honest 85% of original Netflix content is just garbage filler passing as entertainment. However, I was really pleasantly surprised by this. It's not cutting edge by any means, but happy endings, and a bit of cliché doesn't always have to be a bad thing.

In a time when so much content is just cynical, ultra violent, and jaded beyond belief, this movie is a breath of fresh air.

It handles the usual feel good movie tropes with a deft hand and never feels cheap.

The performances are all really well done, and the casting is perfect. The central conflict of following one's heart versus the illusory pursuit of fame and fortune certainly isn't a new one, but this movie makes it feel fresh and interesting.

The actors all bring a lot of heart to what they do, and it shows.

Really worth your time if you like a warm and fuzzy feel good movie that tugs on your heart strings.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent
posttoricha21 September 2022
I love both the lead actors....how genuine they look in their acting...oh my god..loved them already. So convincing...this is acting....love you brother. So empathetic and giving us the true meaning of life. Plot and characterization is awesome. Love Stevie and Vinci ...sooo good...I am inove with this movie...so great...this movie gives the hardcore massege to the society that if we are running behind something, it degraded our importance in our lives...we must understand and start love ourselves. Vinci, the actor you are true actor above all love you from hindustan, India ....love you brother.
13 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A good movie with meaning and heart
superpeppa21 September 2022
Why has this movie has a low rate! It is a movie with meaning and heart. It is about life, disappointments that each of one has goes through, dreams, friendships, all matched with music. I loved the acting too. I am sick and tired of movies that are negative, aggressive, with nothing to see or hear other than nudity, swearing, with same pointless and meaningless themes, whose only aim is to desensitise you. There are surely far too many of this kind, Hollywood style movies. "I used to be famous" is a good movie that brings hope to the viewer. They should make more like these. It surely deserves a higher rating and an applause!
11 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
for those about to feel
Chris_Ego18 October 2022
"I Used to Be Famous" contains a lot of original music and I feel for it. The synth-driven songs are produced with a deep human touch and you'll be surprised how well the music carries the picture. It's a pretty bold move from Netflix to cast unknown actors and throw them into a delicate story like this one is. The former boy band star Vince feels isolated with his own artistic vision. That's when he runs into the autistic drummer Stevie and they soon team up. It was only by the end of the movie when I realised how much the two characters have in common. Stevie needed a friend to look up to and Vince struggles from the loss of his deceased brother. Stevie kinda reminds him of his brother and all this circumstances makes the two of them bond really tight.

This British feature feels like an Indie production of higher value but it was the story and the acting that I found captivating for what it's worth. The film has a fantastic finale and you should definitely stick around until the end!
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Tin Men 4-Eva!
stacybengochea30 September 2022
This was a really great flick. I agree that it deserves more exposure. However, I disagree with some others who said it was cliche and formulaic. That stuff is everywhere in all sorts of mainstream movies nowadays, so whatever. While there was some here, it was presented in a way that wasn't over the top. The story details clicked and were believable. Someone wrote that it leaves too many loose ends. I disagree. The film gives you everything you need in order to know what happens not only in the short-term ending, but it also even hints at some things that may happen long-term. Leo Long (Stevie) was fantastic and Ed Skrein (Vince) was awesome as well. I think it would be a perfect family flick as it gives some important life lessons. See this movie; you won't regret it.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.