Monomyth or "The Hero's Journey" in Moviesby dourface | created - 07 Oct 2013 | updated - 09 Jun 2015 | Public
Basic patern found in lots and lots of myths and (thus) movies. Described by Joseph Campbell in "The Hero with a Thousand Faces" as the monomyth.
The 17 Stages of the Monomyth:
Separation (or Departure) 1. The Call to Adventure 2. Refusal of the Call 3. Supernatural Aid 4. Crossing the Threshold 5. Belly of the Whale
Initiation 6. The Road of Trials 7. The Meeting with the Goddess 8. Woman as Temptress 9. Atonement with the Father 10.Apotheosis 11.The Ultimate Boon
Return 12.Refusal of the Return 13.The Magic Flight 14.Rescue from Without 15.The Crossing of the Return Threshold 16.Master of Two Worlds 17.Freedom to Live
The 12 Stages of the The Hero's Journey:
1. THE ORDINARY WORLD. The hero, uneasy, uncomfortable or unaware, is introduced sympathetically so the audience can identify with the situation or dilemma. The hero is shown against a background of environment, heredity, and personal history. Some kind of polarity in the hero’s life is pulling in different directions and causing stress.
2. THE CALL TO ADVENTURE. Something shakes up the situation, either from external pressures or from something rising up from deep within, so the hero must face the beginnings of change.
3. REFUSAL OF THE CALL. The hero feels the fear of the unknown and tries to turn away from the adventure, however briefly. Alternately, another character may express the uncertainty and danger ahead.
4. MEETING WITH THE MENTOR. The hero comes across a seasoned traveler of the worlds who gives him or her training, equipment, or advice that will help on the journey. Or the hero reaches within to a source of courage and wisdom.
5. CROSSING THE THRESHOLD. At the end of Act One, the hero commits to leaving the Ordinary World and entering a new region or condition with unfamiliar rules and values.
6. TESTS, ALLIES AND ENEMIES. The hero is tested and sorts out allegiances in the Special World.
7. APPROACH. The hero and newfound allies prepare for the major challenge in the Special world.
8. THE ORDEAL. Near the middle of the story, the hero enters a central space in the Special World and confronts death or faces his or her greatest fear. Out of the moment of death comes a new life.
9. THE REWARD. The hero takes possession of the treasure won by facing death. There may be celebration, but there is also danger of losing the treasure again.
10. THE ROAD BACK. About three-fourths of the way through the story, the hero is driven to complete the adventure, leaving the Special World to be sure the treasure is brought home. Often a chase scene signals the urgency and danger of the mission.
11. THE RESURRECTION. At the climax, the hero is severely tested once more on the threshold of home. He or she is purified by a last sacrifice, another moment of death and rebirth, but on a higher and more complete level. By the hero’s action, the polarities that were in conflict at the beginning are finally resolved.
Further reading: http://herojourneyfilm.blogspot.nl/
12. RETURN WITH THE ELIXIR. The hero returns home or continues the journey, bearing some element of the treasure that has the power to transform the world as the hero has been transformed.
- Instant Watch Options
- Movies or TV
- IMDb Rating
- In Theaters
- On TV
- Release Year
1. O Brother, Where Art Thou? (2000)
PG-13 | 107 min | Adventure, Comedy, Crime
In the deep south during the 1930s, three escaped convicts search for hidden treasure while a relentless lawman pursues them.
Votes: 252,387 | Gross: $45.51M
1. Everett, Pete and Delmar escape from the chain gang 2. 3. Blind railwayman offers them a prophecy (=Tireseas in Homer) 4. Trio visits cousin Washington’s farm 5. Trio trapped in burning barn by Sheriff 6. Encounters with Big Dan (=Cyclops in Homer) and Baby Face Nelson 7. The meeting with Penny (Penelope), Everett’s wife, later in the film 8. The sirens tempt our heroes, turn Pete into a frog? (=Circe in Homer) 9. 10.Trio records song “Man of Constant Sorrow” as Soggy Bottom Boys 11.Supposedly bank heist money, but really Penny and 7 Wharvey gals 12. 13.The rescue of Tommy from the Klan, escape from angry Klansmen 14.Governor Menelaus “Pappy” O’Daniel pardons trio after song 15.Caught by Sheriff, about to be hung, saved by the Great Flood (cow on roof) 16.“Ulysses” freed from prison and gets his family back 17.“Ulysses” is free to live a normal life
2. Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (1977)
PG | 121 min | Action, Adventure, Fantasy
Luke Skywalker joins forces with a Jedi Knight, a cocky pilot, a Wookiee and two droids to save the galaxy from the Empire's world-destroying battle station, while also attempting to rescue Princess Leia from the evil Darth Vader.
Votes: 1,068,894 | Gross: $322.74M
1. Princess Leia's message 2. Must help with the harvest 3. Obi-wan rescues Luke from sandpeople 4. Escaping Tatooine 5. Trash compactor 6. Lightsaber practice 7. Princess Leia 8. Luke is tempted by the Dark Side 9. Darth and Luke reconcile 10.Luke becomes a Jedi 11.Death Star destroyed 12.Luke wants to stay to avenge Obi-Wan 13.Millennium Falcon 14.Han saves Luke from Darth Vader 15.Millennium Falcon destroys pursuing TIE fighters 16.Victory ceremony 17.Rebellion is victorious over Empire
PG | 124 min | Action, Adventure, Fantasy
After the rebels are brutally overpowered by the Empire on the ice planet Hoth, Luke Skywalker begins Jedi training with Yoda, while his friends are pursued by Darth Vader.
Votes: 998,199 | Gross: $290.48M
1. 2. 3. the spirit of Obi-Wan Kenobi 4. escape from Hoth 5. hiding in the astroid field 6. Luke's training 7. going to Cloud City meeting Lando Calrissian 8. Lando's betrayal 9. "No, I am your Father" 10.Luke and Vader engage in a lightsaber duel 11. 12. 13.fleeing from Cloud City 14.Luke telepathic plea to Leia and picking up 15. 16. 17.
PG | 131 min | Action, Adventure, Fantasy
After a daring mission to rescue Han Solo from Jabba the Hutt, the rebels dispatch to Endor to destroy a more powerful Death Star. Meanwhile, Luke struggles to help Vader back from the dark side without falling into the Emperor's trap.
Votes: 820,091 | Gross: $309.13M
1. droids on Tatooine 2. bickering of C-3PO 3. Luke's arrival 4. Escaping Jabba 5. Jabba's palace 6. mission on the forest moon of Endor 7. Leia reveals to Han that Luke is her brother/ Vader discovers that Luke has a sister 8. The Emperor tempts Luke to give in to his anger and join the dark side of the Force 9. removing the mask and funeral pyre 10.final duel and space battle 11.Balance to the Force 12.Luke wants to stay with his father 13.space battle 14.destruction of the shield generator 15.blowing up the second Death Star 16.Victory ceremony 17.Rebellion is victorious over Empire
PG-13 | 178 min | Adventure, Drama, Fantasy
A meek Hobbit from the Shire and eight companions set out on a journey to destroy the powerful One Ring and save Middle-earth from the Dark Lord Sauron.
Votes: 1,431,471 | Gross: $315.54M
1. Gandalf acts as the herald who gives Frodo his mission to destroy the One Ring. Aragorn, in a separate hero's journey, is told by Elrond of his true name and lineage as the Heir of Isildur and rightful heir to the throne of Gondor when he is 20 years of age. 2. Frodo is unwilling to set out on an adventure. 3. Frodo and Sam Gamgee receive help early in their journey from several figures, notably Tom Bombadil, Bilbo and Gandalf. 4. Frodo finally accepts his mission in Rivendell and crosses the threshold once he leaves there. Also in Rivendell, Aragorn meets Boromir who tells of the plight that Gondor is now in while at the same time confronting those present for not aiding Gondor; Aragorn sees that he must now save Gondor and claim the kingship. 5. The Fellowship passes through the abandoned mines of Moria. 6. The road to Mordor (mostly in the following two movies: Uruk-Hai, The Dead Marshes, Shelob, the weight of the ring) 7. Frodo meets Galadriel, who shows him the future. Aragorn also meets Galadriel, who counsels him on his future actions 8. Frodo is tempted to give the Ring to Galadriel and forsake his mission. 9. Aragorn must face the legacy of his ancestor Isildur, by rising above the darkness where he failed. Aragorn directly faces this legacy most clearly when he decides to ride the Paths of the Dead and gain the allegiance of the Army of the Dead, a feat which only the true Heir of Isildur can perform. 10. Aragorn, after exiting the Paths of the Dead with his new invincible Shadow Army, must now make a mad dash across Gondor in a race against time to liberate the coast from an invasion of Corsairs, then lead the Southern army of Gondor north to save Minas Tirith from destruction, all in only six days. 11.All of the hobbits gain wisdom and experience during their journey which allows them to easily set things right in the Shire on their return. By calling upon his heritage as the Heir of Isildur to take command of the Army of the Dead, Aragorn is now more in tune with his true nature and purpose as rightful heir to the throne of Gondor than ever before. 12.Frodo chooses to leave Middle Earth with the elves, because he feels he is unable to have a normal life in the Shire. 13.Frodo and Sam are rescued from the slopes of Mount Doom by Gandalf and the Eagles (which is also a "Rescue from Without"). 14.Frodo is ultimately unable to destroy the Ring without Gollum's unwilling help. 15.The final threshold for the hobbits re-entering the Shire is guarded by Saruman and his Ruffians. For Aragorn, this means making a final confrontation with Sauron's forces in a suicidal attack on his massive army at the Black Gate. 16.Aragorn is crowned King of Gondor and Arnor, and has defeated Mordor (later re-destributing its conquered lands to the former slaves that tilled the fields in its southern regions). Aragorn then marries Arwen, daughter of his father-figure Elrond, uniting the worlds of Elf and Man. Finally, Aragorn finds a new sapling of the White Tree of Gondor, and Gandalf informs him that he is now leaving Middle-earth now that Sauron is defeated: Gandalf now officially "passes the torch" of responsibility for protecting Middle-earth and its peoples from himself on to Aragon and his descendants. 17.The hobbits become prominent citizens of the Shire with the wisdom they have gained. Aragorn reigns as King for many decades and ushers in a new age of peace and the rebuilding of Middle Earth. He then starts a family with Arwen, his Queen.
6. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002)
PG-13 | 179 min | Adventure, Drama, Fantasy
While Frodo and Sam edge closer to Mordor with the help of the shifty Gollum, the divided fellowship makes a stand against Sauron's new ally, Saruman, and his hordes of Isengard.
Votes: 1,278,851 | Gross: $342.55M
PG-13 | 201 min | Adventure, Drama, Fantasy
Gandalf and Aragorn lead the World of Men against Sauron's army to draw his gaze from Frodo and Sam as they approach Mount Doom with the One Ring.
Votes: 1,414,358 | Gross: $377.85M
8. The Matrix (1999)
R | 136 min | Action, Sci-Fi
A computer hacker learns from mysterious rebels about the true nature of his reality and his role in the war against its controllers.
Votes: 1,424,845 | Gross: $171.48M
1. Follow the white rabbit 2. Neo won't climb out window 3. Trinity extracts the bug from Neo 4. Neo is taken out of the Matrix for the first time 5. Torture room 6. Sparring with Morpheus 7. The Oracle 8. Cypher is tempted by the world of comfortable illusions 9. Neo rescues and comes to agree with his father-figure, Morpheus 10.Neo becomes The One 11.Humanity's salvation now within reach 12.Neo fights agent instead of running 13."Jacking in" 14.Trinity saves Neo from agents 15.Neo fights Agent Smith 16.Neo's declares victory over machines in final phone call 17.Humans are victorious over machines
9. The Matrix Reloaded (2003)
R | 138 min | Action, Sci-Fi
Neo and the rebel leaders estimate that they have 72 hours until 250,000 probes discover Zion and destroy it and its inhabitants. During this, Neo must decide how he can save Trinity from a dark fate in his dreams.
Votes: 462,310 | Gross: $281.49M
10. The Matrix Revolutions (2003)
R | 129 min | Action, Sci-Fi
The human city of Zion defends itself against the massive invasion of the machines as Neo fights to end the war at another front while also opposing the rogue Agent Smith.
Votes: 401,089 | Gross: $139.31M
11. The Silence of the Lambs (1991)
R | 118 min | Crime, Drama, Thriller
A young F.B.I. cadet must receive the help of an incarcerated and manipulative cannibal killer to help catch another serial killer, a madman who skins his victims.
Votes: 1,063,021 | Gross: $130.74M
1. Clarice Starling is pulled from her training at the FBI Academy 2. 3. Hannibal Lecter gives Agent Starling many psychological weapons. 4. Agent Starling must enter not only Lecter's hospital, guarded by the semen-flinging guardian, but also the second threshold of the sealed storage facility Lecter directs her to. 5. Starling finds the serial killer Buffalo Bill's first victim within the dark, womblike storage facility. 6. Starling must deal with sexism and her own fear while investigating Buffalo Bill. 7. Buffalo Bill kidnaps a senator's daughter and the female senator initially appears as a benevolent, matriarchal force 8. Starling's offer of a reduced sentence for Hannibal Lecter, supposedly authorized by the senator, is revealed as a trick. 9. Starling comes to terms with the death of her father through Hannibal Lecter. 10.After atonement, Starling gains knowledge from Lecter and must challenge Buffalo Bill on her own. 11.Starling graduates into an agent, her psychological forces balanced despite Lecter's escape. 12. 13. 14. 15. 16. 17.
12. The NeverEnding Story (1984)
PG | 102 min | Adventure, Drama, Family
A troubled boy dives into a wondrous fantasy world through the pages of a mysterious book.
Votes: 113,764 | Gross: $20.16M
1. Bastian is interested at the idea of neverending story and “borrows” the book, while the book, Atreyu is summoned to save Fantastica from The Nothing. 2. Cairon the centaur refuses to believe that Atreyu is a young boy, not a full grown warrior. Later Bastian refuses to help because he’s afraid that the characters in the book will mock him for his appearance like the children at school, and is forced to go when the Old Man of Wandering Mountain puts him in the Circle of Eternal Return. 3. Falkor 4. The walk through the Swamps, 5. Bastian finds himself in Perilin, the night Forest 6. The trials 7. Bastian meets The Childlike Empress, while Atreyu her and the southern Oracle. 8. Xayide tempts Bastian into trying to become the Childlike Emperor and abandon his friends. Similarly, a majority of the citizens of Fantastica, now rendered hopeless, give in to the temptation of jumping into The Nothing. 9. Bastian brings the Water of Life to help both him and his father get over his mother’s death. 10.Atreyu kills Gmork with a stone knife. 11.Water of Life 12.Bastian refuses to return to the Human World, being caught up in Fantastica. 13.Bastian takes the Water of Life and runs through Auryn to return home. 14.Bastian and Falkor chase the bullies 15.Bullies in the real world 16.Fantastica/Human World 17.Bastian feels more confident when he returns, and prepares to help other humans reach Fantastica.
13. Contact (1997)
PG | 150 min | Drama, Mystery, Sci-Fi
Dr. Ellie Arroway, after years of searching, finds conclusive radio proof of extraterrestrial intelligence, sending plans for a mysterious machine.
Votes: 227,160 | Gross: $100.92M
1. "Dad, could we talk to Mom?" (inner calls to adventure) 2. refuses to deal with the death of her parents 3. S.R. Hadden 4. first contact 5. repress any inner acceptance of her parents deaths 6. financial rejection and Drumlin 7. Palmer Joss 8. Palmer Joss 9. Vegan Father 10.Ellie's arrival at Vega 11.spiritual wisdom 12.Refusal to leave Vega 13.rapid return back through the wormhole 14.video camera s 15.post-event hearing in the U.S. Capitol building 16.She can now balance rational, masculine logic with intuitive, feminine wisdom. 17.She now is the eye of the universe.
14. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012)
PG-13 | 169 min | Adventure, Family, Fantasy
A reluctant Hobbit, Bilbo Baggins, sets out to the Lonely Mountain with a spirited group of dwarves to reclaim their mountain home, and the gold within it from the dragon Smaug.
Votes: 700,059 | Gross: $303.00M
1. Gandalf's aim is to recruit Bilbo as the company's "burglar" to aid them in their quest to enter the Lonely Mountain 2. Bilbo is unwilling to accept at first 3. Gandalf 4. Leaving The Shire 5. captured by Goblins
15. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (2013)
PG-13 | 161 min | Adventure, Fantasy
The dwarves, along with Bilbo Baggins and Gandalf the Grey, continue their quest to reclaim Erebor, their homeland, from Smaug. Bilbo Baggins is in possession of a mysterious and magical ring.
Votes: 545,912 | Gross: $258.37M
6. giant spiders, Wood-elves 7. Beorn the skin-changer 8. Smaug
16. The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (2014)
PG-13 | 144 min | Adventure, Fantasy
Bilbo and company are forced to engage in a war against an array of combatants and keep the Lonely Mountain from falling into the hands of a rising darkness.
Votes: 418,549 | Gross: $255.12M
9. Bilbo sneaks out of Erebor to hand the Arkenstone over to Thranduil and Bard 10.battle with smaug/ battle of the five armies 11.destroying Azog and his army/the one ring 12. 13. 14. 15.reclaims his house 16."not the same hobbit" 17.a quite life in the Shire
17. Jaws (1975)
PG | 124 min | Adventure, Drama, Thriller
A local sheriff, a marine biologist and an old seafarer team up to hunt down a great white shark wreaking havoc in a beach resort.
Votes: 486,900 | Gross: $260.00M
19. Rain Man (1988)
R | 133 min | Drama
Selfish yuppie Charlie Babbitt's father left a fortune to his savant brother Raymond and a pittance to Charlie; they travel cross-country.
Votes: 426,167 | Gross: $172.83M
22. Almost Famous (2000)
R | 122 min | Adventure, Comedy, Drama
A high-school boy is given the chance to write a story for Rolling Stone Magazine about an up-and-coming rock band as he accompanies them on their concert tour.
Votes: 228,060 | Gross: $32.53M
24. Spider-Man (2002)
PG-13 | 121 min | Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi
When bitten by a genetically modified spider, a nerdy, shy, and awkward high school student gains spider-like abilities that he eventually must use to fight evil as a superhero after tragedy befalls his family.
Votes: 613,318 | Gross: $403.71M
25. The Wizard of Oz (1939)
PG | 102 min | Adventure, Family, Fantasy
Dorothy Gale is swept away from a farm in Kansas to a magical land of Oz in a tornado and embarks on a quest with her new friends to see the Wizard who can help her return home to Kansas and help her friends as well.
Votes: 337,272 | Gross: $22.20M
26. Pan's Labyrinth (2006)
R | 118 min | Drama, Fantasy, War
In the falangist Spain of 1944, the bookish young stepdaughter of a sadistic army officer escapes into an eerie but captivating fantasy world.
Votes: 547,117 | Gross: $37.63M
27. Avatar (2009)
PG-13 | 162 min | Action, Adventure, Fantasy
A paraplegic marine dispatched to the moon Pandora on a unique mission becomes torn between following his orders and protecting the world he feels is his home.
Votes: 998,012 | Gross: $760.51M
28. Where the Wild Things Are (2009)
PG | 101 min | Adventure, Drama, Family
Yearning for escape and adventure, a young boy runs away from home and sails to an island filled with creatures that take him in as their king.
Votes: 94,462 | Gross: $77.23M
30. First Knight (1995)
PG-13 | 134 min | Action, Adventure, Romance
Lancelot falls in love with Guinevere, who is due to be married to King Arthur. Meanwhile, a violent warlord tries to seize power from Arthur and his Knights of the Round Table.
Votes: 61,417 | Gross: $37.60M
31. The Game (1997)
R | 129 min | Drama, Mystery, Thriller
After a wealthy banker is given an opportunity to participate in a mysterious game, his life is turned upside down when he becomes unable to distinguish between the game and reality.
Votes: 300,194 | Gross: $48.32M
32. The Contender (2000)
R | 126 min | Drama, Thriller
Senator Laine Hanson is a contender for U.S. Vice President, but information and disinformation about her past surfaces that threatens to derail her confirmation.
Votes: 21,604 | Gross: $17.87M
33. Shakespeare in Love (1998)
R | 123 min | Comedy, Drama, History
A young Shakespeare, out of ideas and short of cash, meets his ideal woman and is inspired to write one of his most famous plays.
Votes: 194,881 | Gross: $100.32M
35. Thelma & Louise (1991)
R | 130 min | Adventure, Crime, Drama
Two best friends set out on an adventure, but it soon turns around to a terrifying escape from being hunted by the police, as these two girls escape for the crimes they committed.
Votes: 116,140 | Gross: $45.36M
39. Rocky (1976)
PG | 120 min | Drama, Sport
A small-time boxer gets a supremely rare chance to fight a heavy-weight champion in a bout in which he strives to go the distance for his self-respect.
Votes: 448,277 | Gross: $117.24M
40. Labyrinth (1986)
PG | 101 min | Adventure, Family, Fantasy
A 16-year-old girl is given 13 hours to solve a labyrinth and rescue her baby brother when her wish for him to be taken away is granted by the Goblin King.
Votes: 108,221 | Gross: $12.73M
41. Superman (1978)
PG | 143 min | Action, Adventure, Drama
An alien orphan is sent from his dying planet to Earth, where he grows up to become his adoptive home's first and greatest superhero.
Votes: 142,204 | Gross: $134.22M
42. Star Trek (2009)
PG-13 | 127 min | Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi
The brash James T. Kirk tries to live up to his father's legacy with Mr. Spock keeping him in check as a vengeful Romulan from the future creates black holes to destroy the Federation one planet at a time.
Votes: 546,077 | Gross: $257.73M
43. V for Vendetta (2005)
R | 132 min | Action, Drama, Sci-Fi
In a future British tyranny, a shadowy freedom fighter, known only by the alias of "V", plots to overthrow it with the help of a young woman.
Votes: 914,513 | Gross: $70.51M
44. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989)
PG-13 | 127 min | Action, Adventure, Fantasy
In 1938, after his father Professor Henry Jones, Sr. goes missing while pursuing the Holy Grail, Indiana Jones finds himself up against Adolf Hitler's Nazis again to stop them obtaining its powers.
Votes: 602,743 | Gross: $197.17M
45. Finding Nemo (2003)
G | 100 min | Animation, Adventure, Comedy
After his son is captured in the Great Barrier Reef and taken to Sydney, a timid clownfish sets out on a journey to bring him home.
Votes: 823,546 | Gross: $380.84M
46. Aladdin (1992)
G | 90 min | Animation, Adventure, Comedy
When a street urchin vies for the love of a beautiful princess, he uses a genie's magic power to make himself off as a prince in order to marry her.
Votes: 303,125 | Gross: $217.35M
47. The Lion King (1994)
G | 88 min | Animation, Adventure, Drama
A Lion cub crown prince is tricked by a treacherous uncle into thinking he caused his father's death and flees into exile in despair, only to learn in adulthood his identity and his responsibilities.
Votes: 780,440 | Gross: $312.90M
48. Wreck-It Ralph (2012)
PG | 101 min | Animation, Adventure, Comedy
A video game villain wants to be a hero and sets out to fulfill his dream, but his quest brings havoc to the whole arcade where he lives.
Votes: 315,394 | Gross: $189.42M
49. Shrek (2001)
PG | 90 min | Animation, Adventure, Comedy