IMDb > "Community" (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Community"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Community" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Brilliant

Author: vansebastian from United States
25 September 2009

i am very critical of television. i hate clichés, shows that try to teach you things, and more than anything ripoffs(like the fact that family guy takes most of its plot lines form old simpsons episodes). but Community is original, and dead-on with every punchline. Abed has some of the best delivery i have seen in years. everything he says and the way that he says it is side-splitting. the whole episode i am just longing for more words to come out of his mouth. brilliant beatbox/rap at the end of episode 2 by the way. Joel McHale is a great leading man who plays an ass trying a little harder not to be an ass(maybe its just to get a girl but regardless). i was confused about the purpose of chevy chase in this (dont get me wrong, he is hilarious, but in this he's just a side character) until i saw the second episode (Spanish 101) in which he does a Spanish presentation that is golden. no more doubts in my mind.

this show is bound for great things. my only concern is that every show that i love gets canceled because not enough people get it. (Firefly, Arrested Development, Freaks and Geeks). So i just hope people give this show a chance. i was won over after one viewing. This is one of the nicest surprises i have seen in a long time and i strongly encourage you to at least watch the pilot on HULU. worth every minute.

A brilliant surreal comedy.

Author: cerror from Netherlands
2 October 2009

As a European, I am not really a big fan of typical US comedy. Yeah I can laugh at some scenes of friends, Seinfeld or any other main network sitcom, but they never make want to rewind and watch a joke/situation again.

I only had that with some moments of Scrubs and well.... Community!

First of all thank god for the absence of the laugh tape. I hate that old figment of the 60's etc. If something is funny, it's funny. Not because other people are laughing on tape.

Community has this really quirky well thought sense of humor where every aspect is really worked out. Offcourse there is some typecasting going on like the oh-no-you-didn't African-American woman but Yvette someway makes that type more than a type.

I could give a review of every cast member but all I have to say is: the ones casted as a typical egocentric bastard, pretty girl or anything else are bringing more than just that.

I have to say that Danny Pudi, Chevy Chase and Donald Glover are the absolute funniest written and played characters/types on this show but I have to say: none of the cast hasn't NOT entertained me.

The type of humor really reminds me of scrubs and British humor with more interest to the unexpected. than to the typical expected. Not "just random" humor, but just something else then the thing you've would expect.

Please do not cancel this show soon. It is one of the shows I really look forward to each week.

Great ensemble work with fresh ideas about relationships

Author: LeonardOsborneKael from United States
29 October 2009

The promos for this series really turned me off. Another dreary, predictable story about the uncaring horny guy pursuing the lovely stand-offish female? Wow was I wrong! These characters are refreshingly complex and give us lots of surprises in an all too short half-hour. The concept of a bunch of mismatched community college students bumbling through life is rich with possibilities and, speaking as a former community college student, has the ring of truth all the way through. All the actors are wonderful -- especially Gillian Jacobs and Alison Brie. The cherry on top is the amazing Chevy Chase, so oft-criticized for being the self-indulgent ham, who delivers as nuanced and compelling ensemble-sensitive performance as you are ever going to see. My sense is that this show has got some serious legs!

Non stop laughter

Author: staceyhicken from United Kingdom
16 July 2010

This show is just awesome. Me and my chap are often having to pause it or rewind it just because of the amount and the level of humour! All the characters are great. Sexy Jeff pulls the best faces, Pierce is just brilliant (he is very nearly my fave), Annie and Shirley bounce of each other and have some great moments, Britta is cute, funny and geeky and Abed and Troy take over the show when they have scenes together. Even watching the pilot episode i was laughing my bum off!!! Spanish professor Chang is also great. My only criticism is that Troy needs a story line or a few more scenes as he is so so funny but the end scenes with Abed and Troy more than make up for that. They are genius! The whole cast is just great and after watching the whole first series in one weekend i cannot wait for the next one. One of the most clever, entertaining and FUNNY shows i have ever seen. Along with the other fans. I beg you PLEASE do not cancel it! Here in the UK i am sure we would pick up this series for at least 5 seasons, its just THAT good! :-)

Finally!

Author: Omer van Kloeten from Israel
1 November 2009

Finally, after a long dry-spell, I have found a live-action TV show that actually makes me laugh again.

Watching this show made me burst out laughing so many times. The script is wonderfully written and the actors have excellent comedic timing to match it. Sure, there are a few less-than-funny parts about it, but then again, it's not sketch comedy, so it can't be funny all the time.

McHale leads nicely, but both he and Gillian Jacobs do a weird 180 degree turn in character after a couple of episodes. It was supposed to be a step meant to make them seem more human and vulnerable, rather than absurd, comedic characters, but ends up making you a bit uneasy. A special kudos goes to Ken Jeong, for portraying one of the funnier characters portrayed on screen as of late.

What can I say except I LOVE IT !!!!

Author: brenee24 from United States
5 March 2010

I'm so happy for Joel McHale (The Soup) to have found a comedy that works for him. It's great to see Chevy Chase back on the screen, in a role that is so unlike himself but that he plays so convincingly that I often forget I'm watching the guy from "I'm Chevy Chase and You're Not." I also love seeing Donald Glover in a supportive and recurring role on a show- he's a wonderfully talented writer and has been in the business for quite some time, working with Derrick Comedy and even writing some of my favorite episodes of 30 Rock. Glover's on screen relationship with Abed is hilariously funny- the two have an amazing chemistry, and people who think that's weird are "just jealous." The ladies are also quite brilliant and unique, each with their own distinctive personalities and eccentricities. The ensemble cast is quirky and the characters are extremely diverse but somehow fit together first as a Spanish study group and then as friends. Moreover, after dropping out of my first pick of universities, I myself attended a community college for my sophomore year, and Community does well to portray the...uniqueness of this type of school. The student body is quite diverse, and the cast of the show represents all the stereotypes of people who end up in such a place. However, it also reflects the actual sense of community that can be formed in a smaller university and the bonding between students who otherwise would have never met let alone become friends. Oh, and we can't forget the mix of normal professors and absolutely insane ones ! What more is there to say ? I love this show; I think it's The Best new comedy for 2009-2010. I'm crossing my fingers and toes that it goes another season !!!

hilarious! funny! surprisingly inspiring

Author: nwes100 from NYC, United States
16 October 2009

This show is hilarious and at times I find it inspiring. Favorite episode so far is Season1Episode3/Introduction to Film. The show is very clever, the characters are such a mismatch it does what the Breakfast Club does in revealing human nature and sociology. The community college they attend often tries to give a university feel and in doing so also it parodies universities.

Character Abed is the funniest! I love Joel Mchale on this show . Joel plays the character Jeff, and does not present himself as the over-the-top jerk on the Soup -he is still a jerk but a blander(or more reserved) version giving the other characters a chance to shine. The rest of the cast as the series progress you learn more about them and appreciate their depth and humor they bring.

Good new show...hope it lasts

Author: Heather from United States
2 October 2009

I was a little skeptical when I first watched Community because of all the pro-mos that were done. It seemed like every commercial break had a pro-mo saying how great this show is going to be...which usually turns me off a program.

I missed the first episode but caught the subsequent ones and they were funny. Chevy Chase does a good job at not taking over as the lead in what is essentially an ensemble cast. McHale does a good job at being a guy that does not want to be involved in other peoples' lives, but ends up getting dragged in anyways.

The Spanish rap that was done at the very end of episode 2 was just hilarious and the dance at the end last night was great. Silly but still funny and entertaining.

Something new that hasn't been seen for a while . . .

Author: ChorusL106 from MInneapolis, MN, US.
12 February 2010

I started watching this show late in the season, and accidentally came across it by accident on Hulu (I meant to click on something else). I am glad I did.

What I like about this show in particular is that it is primarily concerned with the platonic dynamic among the members of a mish-mashed group. For me, that is really refreshing. I have never been a real fan of major network sitcoms because of what I perceive as a complete lack of ingenuity and a revolution around unoriginal themes (I actually started tuning into the Disney show, Suite Life of Zach and Cody for the reasons stated herein). There have been a few good ones here and there, but most friendship-oriented sitcoms geared towards adults seemed to develop the over-used story of a group of friends sitting around crabbing about their love lives and how to fix them, i.e. Friends, Will and Grace, O.C. (not exactly a sitcom), Sex and the City, even 30 Rock to a certain degree. I realize the bulk of those shows are from a few years back, but it was those sorts of shows (not to mention the devil-conceived reality shows) that really turned me off from major network programming. I enjoyed them at the time, but they all seemed to grace the same themes: we're such close friends and we're going to help each other find boyfriends. Puke! I got so sick of seeing friendships revolving around getting someone laid.

Then I came upon Community. I've watched every episode thus far in the first season and I really appreciate its commitment to focusing on the core relationships among the friends. Of course they delve into the sexual tensions that naturally exist, but it always remains focused on the friendships, and through funny means. I think this kind of theme is so necessary in today's programming. It's OK to "just be friends" with someone. It's OK to be yourself, to be dorky, funny, fussy, uptight, bitchy, whatev. There are still people out there that can care about you. It doesn't have to be about finding love or sex, being sexy, or being desired by the gender from which you seek attention. That is what I like about Community, it just shows friends being friends without pretense.

As far as the show goes substantively, I think it is quite funny. It sometimes misses the mark, but I think those moments are rare. Some episodes are funnier than others, some characters are funnier than others, but everyone has their moment. I love Joel McHale, I think he's a riot, and Chevy Chase is really great. Someone else mentioned how they were glad he wasn't over-taking the show's humor elements and I also appreciate that. His humor is well- spaced throughout the show. The guy who plays the dean is a riot as well. I love his scenes.

I also really enjoy the community college setting. It's a very appropriate setting for a show about a diverse group of friends that each have their own special and interesting reasons for being there. I know some people dislike the overt, "politically correct" representation in the group. There are some stereotypes, the culturally- insensitive older person, the fabulous African-American woman, the WASP-y, pretentious brat, the hipster, the cool guy, the nerd, etc. It can get a tad clichéd, but I think it works specifically because the community college setting is a place where you might find that mixture of people. It appeals to people from all walks of life: younger, college-aged students, people who have time on their hands and want more education, people trying to make a new start in life, etc. I think it's a great and interesting setting to use in a show about a unconventional group of friends. I really think the creators planned it out well.

So yes, if you are like me and enjoy seeing shows about friends being just friends, and developing those platonic relationships, its definitely worth the try. I certainly plan on continuing.

Awesome show

Author: jetsen van den eede from Belgium
10 December 2010

The first time I've heard about community was this summer when I was taking the 'Paramount' studio tour. When we where walking around the decors I was amazed about how real it looked! Since I work for TV in Belgium I know how decors look and how it's been shown on TV. But when you walk around in the studio it's like you're really walking in a school! But most of all the way that the Director shows it on TV is just amazing! the lighting also plays a great part of creating the mood and weather which looks like real! GREAT JOB!

"side note"- in the episode with the paint ball competition I really don't want to be the decor staff because what they did with the decors, It blows my mind! (and it's a lot of cleaning work)

The first episode should be the best one where the audience gets caught in the series. But this was not the case! you get to know all the characters in the first episode but you don't get an real story like in the other episodes. It even looks like it is a drama show where the guy hopelessly falls in love with the girl but just can't get her!

Further the acting work is great every character has is own personality and the way that the actors show it to the screen is just like there being them-selfs! (which in Chevy Chase's case could be real ;) ) It's amazing how you can get so caught up in the story when it is everything except real.

Also amazing work for the screenwriters because they can come up with amazing new out of the box story's! While we are used to see them like on The Simpsons,..

I a really looking forward to the new episodes of this season and maybe a third season?

Page 1 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]