IMDb > Open Water 2: Adrift (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 16:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Unimaginative, predictable, ridiculous cash in on Open Water

Author: adrift-2 from United Kingdom
14 July 2006

Open Water was believable, and much more gripping than this very formulaic sequel. The plot is standard unimaginative Hollywood fare, and seems to make a situation (which could easily have been resolved by the characters) into an unconvincing thriller with an unbelievable script which features a series of contrived episodes.

Each incident left me asking "why didn't they try this", and "why didn't they try that" as each character seemed to act in a totally irrational way - why did they only try once to get on board with the swimsuit 'rope' ? It was very cheesy that they almost made it, but then didn't try again. Why did they throw the phone away for no good reason? Why didn't they use the knife as a foothold to get on? I would not have trusted these characters to have made me a coffee without at least three of them getting seriously injured or dying.

This film had nothing new in it, and seemed like an attempt to cash in on the success of low budget Open Water.

Loved It ......

Author: fiends from New Zealand
25 February 2007

I seem to be in a bit of a minority here, but I loved 'Open Water", thought it was one of the best low budget films to date, and made me fear the ocean all over again ...(thanks "Jaws"!!). So I was pretty excited when I saw this on the shelf, had no qualms shelling out some dosh, and I am so pleased that I did ... Possibly even better than the first, talented (if fairly unknown) actors, and just a great premise ..... I can see how something like this might happen,a stupid mistake that can have very real consequences, and while I was sitting comfortably on my chair in my lounge, thinking "you should try this or try that", (which they mostly did anyway), I'm sure thinking logically whilst bobbing about in the very cold ocean is not so easy ..... I loved it, made me squirm, had to look away at times, and really felt for all the characters and their different ways of dealing (or not) with the situation ..... A great film.

A Nutshell Review: Adrift

Author: DICK STEEL from Singapore
3 February 2007

The original Open Water had a couple stranded in the high seas when they went deep sea diving, and somehow missed the boat, literally, thereby being stranded in the middle of nowhere. The formula is now repeated in Open Water 2: Adrift (just called Adrift here probably to disassociate itself from being a "sequel of sorts" movie), with the number of couples increased threefold.

But I can't judge which is better, having not watched the original. Adrift though seemed decent enough, with human nature for self-preservation portrayed so starkly on screen, it's scary. And having to bump up the number of those in trouble, allows for different views and types of people (read: caricatures at times) to be showcased. Each cast member have certain strengths, and some just have total negativity built into them, for contrast purposes.

The setup is simple and we waste no time in being introduced to our characters, almost all of whom are high school friends, and gathered together to celebrate one of their 30th birthday. They go on a weekend cruise on a luxurious yacht, and it's party, party, party, enjoying the finer things in life. Until they decide to go swimming in the sea, did they realize that hey, did someone lower the ladder on board? Otherwise, how are they going to get back to the deck? It's down to the adage of looking before you leap, and that danger lurks when you're enjoying yourself so much, that common sense, precautions and safety get thrown in the wind.

And when the severity of the problem surfaces, what do you do? Are you the leader, the thinker, the whiner or the quitter? When everything is fine and dandy, everyone knows how to enjoy to the max. But when there's an issue at hand, do you begin to point your finger at everyone else, or help to think of a solution? And when all seems lost, do you give up, or try, try again? The characters partake in exhibiting some of these traits at different points, and with time running out, and dehydration, paranoia and hysteria slowing creeping in, you'd wonder how long they'll last.

It's human nature to instinctively try and survive, and watching the characters on screen do just that in spite of impossible odds, just makes your heart pound faster as you think - what would you do if you're caught in the same situation? Would you bitch slap the complainer? Would you follow instructions to a T? Would you give ideas and shut up when it doesn't work? And when all seems lost, what would you do?

Supposedly based on true events, this story might have its plot holes at certain times when you think, hey they should have done this or that, but I'd suggest to hold onto your train of thoughts, until a key revelation is made, to which you may nod in agreement why it happened the way it did, and that shake in disbelief when you think that when it comes to life and death, material things should be sacrificed first, and facing the music is just part of the inevitable consequence.

Fairly dire, hardly what I'd call a "thriller"

Author: Harry_Keane from United Kingdom
9 September 2006

The film was supposed to have been based on "true events". Yes, I'm sure it was - very, very, very loosely based. Some of the acting was nearly good enough to cover the gaping holes in the plot, but never enough to conceal the basic absurdity of it all. To the UK newspaper reviewer who allegedly said "You'll be on the edge of your seat!" I can only concede that I was - this was only because my wife had hold of the waistband of my trousers to prevent me leaving the cinema. The ending was extremely unsatisfactory and I was left feeling very sorry for the actors, whose performances are the only reason I've rated it as highly as a 5.

better than these reviews - great suspense

Author: landalus from United States
9 July 2008

alright, after reading the comments of all the macguyvers who know exactly what they would have done in this scenario, i have to chime in...

1) "why didn't they just throw one of the girls up the side?!" - wow. i can't believe someone (several people) actually wrote that. have you ever tried to "throw" someone or even lift them slightly while you're treading water? try it. no amount of strength would help. the strength of four or five people wouldn't help either without some ground to stand on! oh man, i'd love to see you try it.

2) "why did they only try once with the swimsuit-rope?!" - well, half of it stayed up there on the rail, out of reach, after it ripped, if i remember correctly. even if it hadn't, why should the filmmakers be required to show numerous attempts - why can't we just assume that time passed in the story where they did try a bunch of times?? if they show every little possible event, then it's a 20 hr movie instead of 90min.

3) "why didn't one of the girls try to climb the rope instead of the dude?!" - well, yes, that's a very valid point. huge mistake of judgment. but a possible one. this dude was a boat nazi chode, remember? and a rather dumb one.

4) "why did he throw the cell phone away?!" because he panicked and the guy was kind of a dumb ass to begin with. he thought the phone was fried because it was wet. you saw the unbelieving, sunken faces of his friends when he did that. one even asks him what the hell he was thinking. people freak out and f*ck up in tense situations.

5) "why did he interfere with the guy who was trying to use the knife?!" again, he was a world class chode! even in their dire situation, at this point he still seems prideful and arrogant and detached from reality. so he sees the other guy wildly stabbing at his (boss's) luxury toy, and he gets all materialistic and selfish. probably still thinking about how he's going to maintain his cover, since it's not even his boat. and by the way, he did not stab the guy,as several people claim - he caused the guy to stab himself.

6) "how could he be so stupid as to try to find the knife on the ocean floor?!" - i don't want to find out for myself, but i think that's what delirium does to people.

I found all of these points of frustration for so many posters here to be quite realistic. the film had plenty of other flaws, but i think the realism of the protagonists' descent from calm and crafty to desperate and delirious was right on. much of the acting was unremarkable but did not ruin the movie. what do you expect? i heard bobby duvall had to drop out because of a conflicting project.

An okay film that puts you under the microscope and has you questioning,what would you do?

Author: axlrhodes from United Kingdom
5 May 2008

Interesting one this.I liked the film.It set you in the scene,what would you do? How would you cope?I like films that put me there and make me question how id behave in similar circumstances.Okay,it doesn't feature any big star names and its direction and stylisation is pretty non existent but its a compact little film that myself and my partner enjoyed as a piece of throwaway entertainment on a Saturday night.I since watched Open Water which i didn't enjoy as much as this.I like that the ending is open to interpretation also,its adds a spooky element to the film.I think being stranded and abandoned is one of our primal fears, this film taps into that fear effectively.

Dramatic and Tragic Yacht Trip

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
15 September 2007

Amy (Susan May Pratt), her husband James (Richard Speight Jr.) and their baby Sarah travel to Mexico to sail in the yacht of their reckless friend Dan (Eric Dane) with their common friends Zach (Niklaus Lange) and Lauren (Ali Hillis) and celebrate the thirtieth birthday of Zach. They are introduced to Dan's girlfriend Michelle (Cameron Richardson) and they drink and recall moments of their past while navigating. Miles away from the shore, Michelle suggest to stop the yacht and swim in the calm water. Amy stays in the boat since she has a childhood trauma with ocean and Dan stays with her. Later, the irresponsible Dan pushes Amy overboard, falling with her in a prank. Once in the water, the group realizes that Dan forgot to put the embarkation ladder and the freeboard makes impossible to climb to the main deck the yacht. With the baby alone in the boat and stranded in the open sea, they panic and their desperation lead them to a tragic fight for survival.

"Open Water 2 – Adrift" is another great movie about surviving in the ocean. The direction and the acting are superb, and the good screenplay has an ambiguous and confused conclusion. The story explores first how an inconsequential act may cause the death of people; further, how fragile the human beings are under stress and in constant fear, leading them to panic and to self-destruction. The explanation for the stupid attitude of Dan is given after the death of his friends, when he confesses that he does not own the yacht. Further, there is no captain of experienced crew on board. With regard to the conclusion, my interpretation is that Amy brought the dead body of Dan onboard and she is catatonic, in absolute state of shock with the whole situation. Apparently the yacht is not anchored, therefore while in the storm it should have moved adrift to another location. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): Not Available

Don't let IMDb ratings keep you from watching this one

Author: brooklyn_gent from United States
13 April 2008

I was entertained from start to finish. Had I come to IMDb and seen the rating of 5 I might have skipped it, but I saw the movie before I came here- lesson learned and advice to others. It's fast paced and there is always something happening. I really was not bored at all during any part of the movie. There are many things I can criticize about this movie, and I can understand the points other posters have made, but the bottom line is that it's just a movie. It's how I passed a couple of hours this Sunday night and that's all. When I want real excitement all I have to do is open the paper and read about all the crazy things happening in the world. So, I enjoyed it and I recommend it to others who like these kinds of movies.

Darwin Awards for All These Landlubbers

Author: Ninanna from Washington, DC
4 March 2008

I cannot conceive what possesses anyone to rate this more than two or three stars at the max. And even then, only because of the pretty scenery.

Part of what makes a movie enjoyable (maybe even valid) usually includes having at least some sort of sympathetic character--even if it's a shark. In this blessedly brief idiot-fest, the shark you wish had chomped down each of the six adult numbskulls the moment they hit the water never shows up, ultimately leaving the viewer with no one to root for. After several scenes of unimaginable brainlessness and/or unnecessary crankiness all six have worked diligently to qualify themselves for the Darwin Award, and deserve it richly, as well.

The filmmakers go so far as to manage making the poor infant left alone onboard unsympathetic. And not even the maternal instincts of the surviving mother are redeemed in the vague and unsatisfying final scene that shows her empty-eyed and addled, staring at the (dead?) body of the yacht's supposed owner, while her daughter bawls below decks.

Maybe the tugboat cap'n will get a big reward for stopping to render aid--that's about all I could hope for in the end.

Very good but confusing ending....

Author: blythefan2000 from United Kingdom
20 May 2007

From the start I was glued to the screen. The acting was good and believable and the plot was tense. Okay the plot may seem a bit dumb I hear you say, after all who forgets to put the ladder on their yacht down before jumping in the ocean, but hey apparently it'a a true story.

Basically the whole film is based around these guys and girls stuck in the ocean 'cos some moron forgot to put the ladder down before they all jumped in. One by one they get bumped off by a bump on the head, a knife wound, etc etc. I found myself thinking why doesn't one of them just lend one of the other members of the team their shoulders to 'bunk them up' so to speak so they can get up on to the deck.

It does seem to have minor influence from Dead Calm, but it's a much lower budget film I'm sure. The ending is confusing as hell. Are they all dead or not? I don't think the film maker intended to confuse us viewers, more likely he got stuck for a good ending and so made something that is not clearly defined and is rather disappointing.

Not a bad film but the ending really disappoints and confuses. Your mind will be boggling for days. I would suggest watching Saw instead.

Page 1 of 16:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]