Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome (1985) Poster

Good solid 3rd film to a classic franchise
carlrhatch-217832 February 2018
Growing up in the 70's gave me great films.Star Wars, Jaws etc... Mad Max as a kid scared me to death the whole apocalypse scenario. Mad Max was and still is a classic even given the re-dub and low budget, for me Road Warrior is THE Mad Max but Mad Max 3 is a great sequel to the trilogy. Tina Turner is superb I just fear the concept is similar to Mad Max 2 but on rails but is action packed its got Mel Gibson as Max who tbf IS Max. Not as good as MadMax2 or even MadMax1 but it compliments.
Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
Jackson Booth-Millard27 January 2018
The first film was very good, the sequel was good, and I was interested to complete with the third and final film in the original trilogy, especially because I knew it had a famous female singer in it, directed by George Miller (The Witches of Eastwick, Babe: Pig in the City, Happy Feet, Mad Max: Fury Road) and George Ogilvie. Basically, in the wastelands of Australia in a post-apocalyptic future, former Main Force Patrol (MFP) officer 'Mad' Max Rockatansky (Mel Gibson) crosses the desert, Jedediah and his son, Jedediah Jr. (Adam Cockburn), in a Transavia PL-12 Airtruk attack him, stealing his camel-drawn wagon and belongings. Continuing and following their trail on foot, Max reaches the seedy community of Bartertown, he is at first refused entry, he is brought before community founder and ruler, the ruthless Aunty Entity (Tina Turner), she offers to resupply his vehicle and equipment if he completes a task for her. Aunty explains that Bartertown depends on a crude methane refinery powered by pig faeces, which is run by a dwarf called the Master (Angelo Rossitto) and his giant bodyguard the Blaster (Paul Larsson). "Master Blaster" and Aunty hold an uneasy truce for control of Bartertown, but the Master has begun to challenge her leadership, Aunty wants Max to provoke a confrontation with Blaster in the gladiatorial arena Thunderdome, where conflicts are resolved by a duel to the death. A convict called Pig Killer (Robert Grubb), sentenced to work for slaughtering a pig to feed his family, befriends Max, who enters the refinery to size up to Master Blaster, he finds his stolen vehicle, and discovers the Blaster is exceptionally strong, but sensitive to high-pitched noises. Max faces Blaster in the Thunderdome, using his weakness to gain the upper hand, but refuses to kill him, discovering he has special needs and the intellect of a child, Master finds out about Aunty's arrangement to have Blaster killed, he vows to have the refinery, and by extension, Bartertown, shut down. An enraged Blaster executed, Master is imprisoned, and Max is exiled, he is bound on a horse and sent in a random direction into the wasteland, the horse perishes in a sinkhole, allowing Max to free himself, and he presses on. Near death, Max is found in the desert by desert dweller Savannah Nix (Helen Buday), he is hauled to a community of children and teenagers who live on an oasis, they are all survivors of a crashed Boeing 747, and abandoned by their parents who left to find civilisation. The youngsters believe Max is a pilot named Captain G. L. Walker, returned to fix their plane and fly them to civilisation, Max denies this and insists they remain in the oasis for relative safety, knowing the only "civilisation" within reach is Bartertown. Some of the children, led by Savannah, leave anyway, determined to find the prophesized "Tomorrow-morrow Land", Max stops them by force, but another tribe member Scrooloose (Rod Zuanic) sets them free during the night and leaves with them. The tribe's leader Slake M'Thirst (Tom Jennings) asks Max to go after them, he agrees, taking a few of the children with him to help. They find Savannah's group, but they are unable to save one of the children from a sinkhole, with limited supplies, they are forced to head for Bartertown. They sneak in via the underground, and with the help of Pig Killer they free Master, escape in a train-truck, and destroy Bartertown's methane refinery in the process. Aunty leads the inhabitants in a pursuit, catching up to them, Max's group slows them while Scrooloose hijacks one of the vehicles, which happens to be Max's vehicle. The group comes across Jedediah and his son, Max coerces the pilot into helping his group escape in their aeroplane, after clearing a path the plane is able take off and escape, but Max is left to Aunty's mercy. Aunty spares his life, having come to respect Max, she departs and is presumably making good on her vow to rebuild Bartertown, the children are flown to the coast by Jedediah, there they discover the nuclear-devastated ruins of Sydney. Years later, the children have established a small society for themselves, wanderers have been lost in the ruins, Savannah is now the leader, and reciting the story of their journey, and the man who saved them, Max, who still wanders the desert to places unknown. Also starring Frank Thring as The Collector, Angry Anderson as Ironbar and George Spartels as Blackfinger. Gibson is just about charismatic, but he is perhaps not as "mad" any more, and Turner is certainly an interesting choice as the local dictator, the gladiatorial battle sequences are alright, the scenes with the nomadic warrior surrounded by children I recognised as being spoofed by South Park, and there is a pretty good chase sequence near the end, but I agree with critics, it is not the best of the series, it is perhaps a bit slow and not enough of a flow with the story, but it is not a bad futuristic action adventure. Mel Gibson was number 47 on The 100 Greatest Sex Symbols, and number 17 on The 100 Greatet Movies Stars. Worth watching!
Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
Jackson Booth-Millard27 January 2018
The first film was very good, the sequel was good, and I was interested to complete with the third and final film in the original trilogy, especially because I knew it had a famous female singer in it, directed by George Miller (The Witches of Eastwick, Babe: Pig in the City, Happy Feet, Mad Max: Fury Road) and George Ogilvie. Basically, in the wastelands of Australia in a post-apocalyptic future, former Main Force Patrol (MFP) officer 'Mad' Max Rockatansky (Mel Gibson) crosses the desert, Jedediah and his son, Jedediah Jr. (Adam Cockburn), in a Transavia PL-12 Airtruk attack him, stealing his camel-drawn wagon and belongings. Continuing and following their trail on foot, Max reaches the seedy community of Bartertown, he is at first refused entry, he is brought before community founder and ruler, the ruthless Aunty Entity (Tina Turner), she offers to resupply his vehicle and equipment if he completes a task for her. Aunty explains that Bartertown depends on a crude methane refinery powered by pig faeces, which is run by a dwarf called the Master (Angelo Rossitto) and his giant bodyguard the Blaster (Paul Larsson). "Master Blaster" and Aunty hold an uneasy truce for control of Bartertown, but the Master has begun to challenge her leadership, Aunty wants Max to provoke a confrontation with Blaster in the gladiatorial arena Thunderdome, where conflicts are resolved by a duel to the death. A convict called Pig Killer (Robert Grubb), sentenced to work for slaughtering a pig to feed his family, befriends Max, who enters the refinery to size up to Master Blaster, he finds his stolen vehicle, and discovers the Blaster is exceptionally strong, but sensitive to high-pitched noises. Max faces Blaster in the Thunderdome, using his weakness to gain the upper hand, but refuses to kill him, discovering he has special needs and the intellect of a child, Master finds out about Aunty's arrangement to have Blaster killed, he vows to have the refinery, and by extension, Bartertown, shut down. An enraged Blaster executed, Master is imprisoned, and Max is exiled, he is bound on a horse and sent in a random direction into the wasteland, the horse perishes in a sinkhole, allowing Max to free himself, and he presses on. Near death, Max is found in the desert by desert dweller Savannah Nix (Helen Buday), he is hauled to a community of children and teenagers who live on an oasis, they are all survivors of a crashed Boeing 747, and abandoned by their parents who left to find civilisation. The youngsters believe Max is a pilot named Captain G. L. Walker, returned to fix their plane and fly them to civilisation, Max denies this and insists they remain in the oasis for relative safety, knowing the only "civilisation" within reach is Bartertown. Some of the children, led by Savannah, leave anyway, determined to find the prophesized "Tomorrow-morrow Land", Max stops them by force, but another tribe member Scrooloose (Rod Zuanic) sets them free during the night and leaves with them. The tribe's leader Slake M'Thirst (Tom Jennings) asks Max to go after them, he agrees, taking a few of the children with him to help. They find Savannah's group, but they are unable to save one of the children from a sinkhole, with limited supplies, they are forced to head for Bartertown. They sneak in via the underground, and with the help of Pig Killer they free Master, escape in a train-truck, and destroy Bartertown's methane refinery in the process. Aunty leads the inhabitants in a pursuit, catching up to them, Max's group slows them while Scrooloose hijacks one of the vehicles, which happens to be Max's vehicle. The group comes across Jedediah and his son, Max coerces the pilot into helping his group escape in their aeroplane, after clearing a path the plane is able take off and escape, but Max is left to Aunty's mercy. Aunty spares his life, having come to respect Max, she departs and is presumably making good on her vow to rebuild Bartertown, the children are flown to the coast by Jedediah, there they discover the nuclear-devastated ruins of Sydney. Years later, the children have established a small society for themselves, wanderers have been lost in the ruins, Savannah is now the leader, and reciting the story of their journey, and the man who saved them, Max, who still wanders the desert to places unknown. Also starring Frank Thring as The Collector, Angry Anderson as Ironbar and George Spartels as Blackfinger. Gibson is sort of still charismatic, but he is perhaps not as "mad" anymore, and Turner is certainly an interesting choice as the local dictator, the gladiatorial battle sequences are alright, the scenes with the nomadic warrior surrounded by children I recognised as being spoofed by South Park, and there is a pretty good chase sequence near the end, but it is perhaps a bit slow and not enough of a flow with the story, but it is not a bad futuristic action adventure. Mel Gibson was number 47 on The 100 Greatest Sex Symbols, and number 17 on The 100 Greatet Movies Stars. Worth watching!
Failed to Grip me,
FilmBuff199410 October 2017
Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome is a mediocre movie with a lackluster plot and an average cast. It has its moments, there are certainly some beautiful set pieces and, as you would expect, some glorious high octane action sequences that still hold up today. George Miller's work as a director is one I always admire, even if his work as a writer fails to grab me.

It was a lot more character driven and grounded than the previous two installments, which sound like a good thing, but the way it is done is immensely bland. I found it very difficult to care for these characters, they are not likable enough for me to gain any sort of affection for them.

The cast do not do a stellar job in helping this movie either. Mel Gibson still shines as Max, but his heart simply is not in it as much the third time around. Tina Turner, on the other hand, is absolutely horrendous, failing to do anything interesting with a juicy role like this, having no screen charisma, there is a reason why this is her only big acting role.

Has potential, but lets you down. Some people may love it, but Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome simply was not for me, and I would not recommend it.

Max teams up with some new allies to fight for his survival in this post apocalyptic world.

Best Performance: Mel Gibson / Worst Performance: Tina Turner
The weakest Mad Max film I ever saw
ivo-cobra812 September 2017
*SPOILERS*

The third movie in the trilogy Mad Max franchise and the weakest Mad Max film I ever saw. This movie is stupid! I never understood why this movie is so bad. Even the first Mad Max is better than Beyond Thunderdome. Why such a praise for this film? The only good thing in this film is Mel Gibson and Tina Turner and her songs but that's it. The rest of the film everything sucks so bad in here and it is rated PG-13 and everything in this film is just wrong. Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior is awesome and the best of the trilogy, this film just isn't. But it is a real let down and a true disappointment for a fan like me. Max without his car V8 is nothing but a peace of low life.

I know a lot of people love this film and I respect that some people even think this is better then the original Mad Max, Really? What is so good about this movie? Huh. This movie is boring, less violent it is PG-13 movie and Mel Gibson is at worst at his performance. This movie was a failure to me.

Every time I watch it I just feel miserable oh and Mad Max the original film is way better flick then this one it really is.

I apologize to all fans but in my opinion not yours this movie is the weakest one in the Mad Max franchise and if they would focus more on Bardertown and Thunderdome and got rid of the kids and make this movie rated R this could have been a great movie but right now in my opinion its a "bad" movie .

This movie felt too rushed and it felt it just wasn't right.

And also why this film is in the sand why the are no roads here? Why this is not a wasteland? Gosh I hate this film sue me! I also reviewed 2 years ago the first three Mad Max films and I didn't want to disrespect Mad Max franchise and I didn't want to get the hate on here.

Mostly it was George Miller's fault when his friend and Producer Byron Kennedy died in a helicopter crash. He didn't care he made it less violent less apocalyptic and less action I really don't understand why people love this movie but the first one they don't? I don't know.

We never found out more about Max or his fate the movie does not tell us anything.

Shame on you, George this movie destroyed the Mad Max trilogy I am glad that Mad Max: Fury Road come out 20 years later and yes it is MILES way better action film then this one and I have reviewed all of them.

Also I like Mel Gibson as a actor I always did I never said I hate him he is a really good actor and the Mad Max Trilogy alongside with Lethal Weapon franchise those movies made him in to a star that he is today so yea.

Sadly the film is failure to me just my opinion.

Tina Turner wasn't that terrible because she made two songs for this film and she performed her self. Songs: One of the Living and We Don't Need Another Hero a great songs and I love to listening them.

Tina Turner also at acting isn't that terrible.

But this film is horrendous awful and it sucks I hate those kids.

This Mad Max has no weapons by him self, he has no car and Max doesn't kill anybody in this film.

It feels to me like this Max is a pussy and he is afraid to kill people.

I also have this movie on Blu-ray disc in my collection even tough is a boring stupid awful time waster I still have it in my video collection.

I don't like this film I don't. Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior is my number 1 action film in this franchise which is the best one, second best one to me is Mad Max: Fury Road I love those two films to death they are great films. Mad Max the first one is a good action film but it has problems but is at least better action film then Thunderdome that is my opinion.

29 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Gross & Grimy
Ian30 August 2017
(Flash Review)

Everyone has had a paper cut before. That really small sliver glowing red. That small little slice is the thickness of this film's story. Loner fighter man wins a duel inside a metal sphere with the town looking on. He doesn't follow all the rules and is cast away to die. He ends up at a village with lots of native kids. Stuff happens. The original mean town learns he is alive. They chase after him with one of those iconic mammoth car chase battles. Sprinkle on dirt and sweat and grim and there's your picture. The End. It felt like a darker version of Goonies at times.
Above and Beyond
sol-27 May 2017
Often cited as the weakest entry in the 'Mad Max' franchise, 'Thunderdome' is a surprisingly decent post-apocalyptic tale. The negative reputation is understandable with the film lacking the extreme violence and kooky supporting characters that made the first two movies such big hits. The basic plot is enthralling though -- even if it does not really take off until 45 minutes in -- with Max found unconscious by a group of children living by their wits in the desert. The kids mistake him for a missing pilot who they consider a savior, and while initially reluctant to play hero, Max nevertheless finds some of his lost humanity from the first two films and eventually helps them out. None of the kids are especially interesting, but their lifestyle is endlessly intriguing, full of madcap philosophies and mythologies as a result of them being stranded for as long as any of them can remember; old photos evoke memories of a pre-apocalyptic world that they dream of, but they really are lost - a first generation of the post-apocalyptic landscape. Add in sets and costumes as creative as ever, and it is hard to see this as a significantly lesser film than the first two. It is just very different. Sure, the first, second and third acts here feel a tad disjointed, but there is lots to like in all three sections including the title location. And Tina Turner's theme song is simply divine.
A Exciting Conclusion To The Original Trilogy
Rainey Dawn7 May 2017
Yes I still love the trilogy - and that includes Beyond Thunderdome! I am not a big fan of action films, most of them I could care-a-less about (meaning I can do without them) but there is something about Mad Max's story that simply enjoy. What happened to Max in the first film was tragic but he lives on and his story continued into the Tunderdome and Beyond.

Tina Turner is a great villain, Mel Gibson is great as usual. The story is good so don't understand why some are not happy with this 3rd film and conclusion. Maybe it's just the fact I grew up with the trilogy and I have great nostalgic memories or maybe the film really is good.

Pleasantly disappointed
disastrousdallas19 March 2017
Before i watched this film i knew that this film was the low point of the series.

I finally got around to watching it, and despite the fact i was disappointed by the films lack of series trademarks of car chases and a strong silent hero, i found it entertaining to watch.

Mel Gibson returns as Max in a mediocre but still entertaining performance, he's joined by in a weird piece of casting Tina Turner and despite having second billing she's not present for most of the film, although her performance is terrific and entertaining to watch.

A series tradition of having an actor of a previous Mad Max film aside from the actor Playing Max is upheld with a performance by Bruce Spence, who is criminally under used and relegated to a few short appearances.

George Miller Directing is bad but forgivable due to the Death of Series co creator Byron Kennedy, so whilst he handles the action scenes, George Ogilvie handles all non action scenes which most are boring,the action scenes are the highlight of the film and are entertaining to watch as they're few and far between, and of course the best part of the film.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Peter Pan meets Mad Max (wtf?)
tankace15 January 2017
Beyond Thunderdome was the final entry to the original trilogy and it was definitely the weakest of the three for although at first it seems a totally fine continuations of this gasoline fueled apocalypse at the middle point it is combined with a plot about a society which is somewhat reminiscing of Peter Pan's Lost Boys. Even though that change doesn't break the film ,that sudden change in tone was a bit confusing to me and if you think it for more the five minutes, then you find out some quit big plot wholes.

To start once again we follow Max (Jesus that dude can't catch a break) years after the events of the Road Warrior as he stumbles to the city of Bartertown, a town in which under to authority of Tina Turner at her prime, has prosper despite the fact that by that point petrol is 100% gone. To be honest the structure of the city is very interesting as also the idea, how would a town be after oil is gone, what could it use for energy, what are the rules of this society. In general if the film had focus in that city and the clash between our beloved anti-hero and the sexy dictator, it would definitely work out.

Unfortunately it didn't go that way and though I don;t want spoil the movie, to put it in general after the middle of the film this Lost Boys story-line is added and markedly decease the quality of the final product over all. I have no clue why Miller put that in, but my educated guess is that, the death of the producer Byron Kennedy and his replacement with George Ogilvie, is the main reason for that. For the Mad Max series was practically created by both Miller and Kennedy and the lose of the main-producer surely hampered the production.

Nevetheless it is a serviceable film and worth your time, if not for any reason then at list to see a interesting take of a post-apocalyptic society. As for the other plot, well just go with it, you can't do something less for that.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Perfectly watchable, although it's the least of the series
Leofwine_draca20 August 2016
Now I do enjoy the MAD MAX films. They're the epitome of Australian cult filmmaking on a budget: filled with uniquely Aussie humour, outlandish characters and plenty of action. In fact, MAD MAX 2 is one of my favourite films ever, finishing with that massive, sprawling chase sequence that's still inspiring filmmakers today (Neil Marshall's DOOMSDAY, anyone?). For some reason, I'd never got around to watching this, the third in the series, although I had seen snippets of it on TV. I wasn't impressed by the scenes I saw: it seemed cheesier and sillier than what had come before, more child friendly. And the presence of Tina Turner seemed a definite distraction.

When I saw MAD MAX BEYOND THUNDERDOME was showing on TV again, I decided to bite the bullet and sit down and watch it, fearing the worst. I didn't get that, but this is definitely the weakest MAD MAX film of the series. The heart and soul of the story is missing from this one. It seems like a tired repeat of the last movie, with an unwelcome American presence in the likes of Tina Turner and more Hollywood ideals. Much of the blame must lie on the troubled production: the producer died causing George Miller to back out and only direct the action sequences while another hand took over the character and dialogue moments. The result is a mixed production. The action scenes, of which there are only really two – the 'gladiator combat' scene in the Thunderdome, and the final chase – are exquisite, as good as that which has come before, and very entertaining. Not original, but still entertaining.

The non-action scenes drag like heck. The colony of feral children are mostly irritating, with too many attempts to make them 'cute'. They actually reminded me of the Ewoks in RETURN OF THE JEDI. Gibson's character is underwritten in this one, so that he barely speaks and seems like a void at the centre of the film. There's no sense of his desperation or his primal nature here, he's just a stock hero character. I found Tina Turner to be pretty insipid as the would-be villainess, although I was happy to see Bruce Spence returning as the helicopter pilot, albeit he plays a different character this time around. I was also delighted by the casting of veteran dwarf actor Angelo Rossitto who bags something of a swan song performance late on in his career. So, the final result: a hit and miss effort, soon forgotten. The final chase scene, though, is worth watching, even if it is a case of revisiting past glories.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Five bags of popcorn
Rosebud8157 August 2016
Beyond Thunderdome is the most expansive and broad Mad Max film. It goes from a cut-throat capitalist society to a far-off place where one group has no knowledge of the complete obliteration of civilization. Also, Beyond Thunderdome has different action scenes than just chases (i.e. the Thunderdome where two men enter and only one man can leave). And yet again, another insane chase scene exists at the end, this time between Entity (Tina Turner) and Max (Mel Gibson). However, Beyond Thunderdome has the least amount of action than any Mad Max. It's action is intense, but contained until necessary for the plot. Therefore, the action enhances the plot rather than being the central focus. This is unique for Mad Max. Beyond Thunderdome is the most layered of any Mad Max story, while retaining the crazy action and insane post-apocalyptic characters and environments. While it is such a different Mad Max movie, it continues the story of a man who has nothing left inside but anger and an instinct to survive.
A bloated, watered-down minor Max Max
Arne Kristian Lindmo19 July 2016
Perhaps the weakest link in the Mad Max series, Beyond Thunderdome is sharply divided into four acts. The first act is superb! Production design, world building and action are all interwoven into a great tapestry of Mad Max greatness and the cage fight is the highlight of the entire movie. Then act two comes along, drags the tempo down, and even though it delivers a lot of interesting mythology and world building, it just lacks the intensity and tempo which has come to define the series as a whole. Act three is the return to Bartletown which has little to offer in the way of spectacle and both the simple, slap-stick humour and the new supporting characters (a bunch of children) suggest that the movie in fact tries to target a broader demographic, as the new PG-13 rating also suggests. Finally, in act four we finally get the trademark car chases, but they aren't anywhere near as good as those featured in The Road Warrior with the exception of a few breathtaking stunts. The ending does not satisfy at all, and we are left with the impression of a bloated, watered-down, minor Mad Max entry. That said, even a weak Mad Max movie is better than most other action flicks, and Mel Gibson is always interesting to watch, especially here in one of his signature roles.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
laughable but here and there typical Mad max situations
trashgang9 March 2016
Were it do has elements of a typical Mad Max it also has the lame situation once Max is being exiled and is found by a gang of youth. Were so many franchises failed because they chose for money this is another example. Fans had to wait until Fury Roads (2015) came in to be thrown back to a real Mad Max flick.

This was for me even a bit boring and the end scene did remind a bit too much of the truck scene in Mad Max 2. effects were all okay but a lousy script made this rejectable.

But it made money, being a major release and having Tina Turner in it at her heydays.

Gore 0/5 Nudity 0/5 Effects 3/5 Story 2/5 Comedy 0/5
"Dying time is here!"
midas-jacobs15 November 2015
Max' vehicle is stolen by pilot Jerediah and his son. Max then goes to the post-apocalyptic town called Bartertown. This town is ruled by Aunty Entity. To get his car back he has to do some shady stuff. But then he finds himself fighting against Master Blaster in the so called "Thunderdome". Well actually he only fights Blaster, because Master Blaster exists out of a tiny man and a muscular giant man. This was the first part of the movie. you can see the movie as two separate movies, and if I am going to tell the epitome of the second "movie" I am afraid I am going to spoil some things.

George Miller came back as the director of this movie, he also did "Mad Max" (a good movie), "Mad Max: Road Warrior" (even better) and "Mad Max: Fury Road" (the best movie of 2015 till now). In this Mad Max movie he did a good job at directing it, I just don't get why he made it feel like there were two different movies. If the fleshed out the first part of the movie more, this would have been an amazingly good movie, but they didn't. The cinematography was very well done, the camera flows were nice, and there were some pretty aerial shots. Sometimes, mostly in Bartertown, there were long shots, with just a couple of edits, but with these shots they showed really good how the post-apocalyptic town looks like.Due to these shots they made the town more interesting. With these aerial shots they also showed well how deserted the wasteland looks. The clothing design was like in the previous movies, a bit on the cheap hand. But I liked that they kept the clothing style of the second movie. like the rugby sholderpats and the mohawk. The wig of Max looked really fake, which was a big minus for me. The music was good too, it felt Mad Maxy, and fitted well with the post-apocalyptic ethos.

This movie stars Mel Gibson, Tina Turner and a lot of lesser known actors. Mel Gibson repraised his role as Max Rockatansky. He was just as good as in the previous movies, although I like Tom Hardy better as Max. Mels Mad Max still had some charisma of the previous films, which was nice. Tina Turner was OK, she was better then I expected, you don't get a lot of good performances of singers. Even though Adam Levigne was pretty good in "Begin Again". Turner played Enity. She was in control of Bartertown. You also had the Master and the Blaster. Angelo Rossitto played the Master. He is a tiny guy. I didn't like him at all. He was too childish, just near the end of the movie I started to like him more. He felt like a comic relief. Or as someone who has to lure in more kids to the theater. The Blaster is played by Paul Larsson. Max had to fight him in the Thunderdome. This scene was probably my favorite scene of the movie. It was very creative, and nicely filmed. In the thunderdome the opponents are tied up to two elastic cords. on the roof of the arena there are weapons, and the two opponents have to get a weapon and then kill each other. In this scene Max gets his hands on a chainsaw. This was the perfect opportunity to have a blood fest. But because the movie is rated pg13 it isn't. And it is so stupid that it is rated pg 13.

The script of the first part of the movie was well written but the script of the second part, was just plain boring. it was dull and unnecessary. it was just ridicule at times. The story of the first part was good, but it already ends after the first hour after that you don't hear anything anymore about the thunderdome, nothing at all!there were also some clichés in the movie but the thing that bothered me was that they tried to recreate the chase scene from the first movie, but with the truck being a train. the fighting in this last scene is just to comical. I mean, come on, they hit someone with a pan...

Overall this is the worst Mad Max film that there is. The first part was really good and gets a nine out of then from me, but the second part just ruined everything for me, and this part gets a one out of then which is a ten out of twenty which makes it a 5/10. This movie is very interesting at the beginning, but ends as a boring mess.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The weakest of the original trilogy but still entertaining stuff
tomgillespie20021 September 2015
From the opening shot of wandering nomad and mulleted anti-hero Max Rockantansky (Mel Gibson), travelling along the endless Australian plains in a makeshift vehicle put together from spare auto-parts and whatever junk he came across on the road and pulled along by camels, we know that the world George Miller created back in 1979 has descended even further into apocalyptic turmoil, and we are now even further from civilised society than ever before. Max has his vehicle and supplies stolen by Jebediah the Pilot (Bruce Spence), so he is forced to wander barefoot through the desert until he comes across a community dubbed Bartertown, a place where you can trade anything or anyone.

Like the vehicles in the world of Mad Max, Bartertown is hammered together from spare parts. It is ruled by Aunty Entity (Tina Turner), who is locked in a constant power-struggle with Master Blaster, a grotesque tag-team who overlooks the pits below the town where pigs are farmed and harvested for methane gas. Master is a dwarf played by Angelo Rossitto who rides on the back of Blaster, a giant of a man who wears a huge concealing helmet, and is played by Paul Larsson. Master Blaster may be George Miller's most interesting creation, and as Max inevitably faces Blaster is the arena known as the Thunderdome - where all quarrels are concluded as two men enter but only one leaves - one of the most inventive scraps in cinema history plays out, as they bounce at each other on huge elastic bands and hack at each other with all manners of weapons.

Yet that is only half of the film. Miller resigned himself to just directing the action scenes following the tragic death of his friend and location scout Byron Kennedy, so the rest of the film was put in the hands of George Ogilvie. Narrowly escaping Bartertown with his life, Max discovers the young survivors of a plane crash who has developed their own little tribal society, and it's here that the film goes a bit Peter Pan. Whether this was down to Miller's absence or not - Beyond Thunderdome lacks the edge of its predecessors, occasionally dipping into traditional mainstream fantasy fare and losing focus of its antagonists motivation. Still, the film delivers where expected - the action scenes. Again we get a tanker being chased down by an army of baddies in doomsday vehicle's, and again we are treated to some awe-inspiring stunts that hold up even today. It's the weakest of the original trilogy but hugely entertaining stuff.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Pox-eclipsed 'membering
chaos-rampant17 August 2015
This will be silly and disjointed for those who found the second mean and rampaging. Spielberg had intervened, there's a kid friendly dash of Indiana Jones, some Lone Ranger. But from Mad Max I come away with two things, the edges of world we discover and the chase.

I don't take to the Bartertown portion of the film, it may be closer to Road Warrior in spirit but all I see here is rushed spectacle for a boorish audience, contraptions. We do see a bit more of the Max world in this place but not in any way I care for. It feels like this part was bolted on when they decided to turn a separate script into a Max movie.

No, I'm oddly captivated by the Lord of the Flies portion. I see glimmers of magic in the way the narrative of something that crashed from the skies one day has been preserved in the minds of kids, the way it's revealed through a screen that frames remnants of half- remembered story, the chorus of awestruck kids for whom all of this has profound meaning.

It does open up a window to a whole swathe of Max world but this time with deep feeling, as myth the kids have vowed to keep in memory and bide their time for. Sure, we are in Goonies territory and again in the end with the city, but there's hushed yearning here, an almost Biblical kind.

The rest is in the chase, a train this time, briefer than usual and over before it really exhilarates, as if more by obligation than keenness for it. They would eventually build a whole other film around it, extending it to an entire circus around the rig, but that would have to wait for 30 years.
The worst Mad Max that I like
WakenPayne29 July 2015
I've seen all the Mad Max movies and so far, aside from the first one this is the second worst besides the first one. There's nothing in particular that's wrong with this one but I just really prefer The Road Warrior and Fury Road. Basically the plot is simple, someone manages to steal Max's ride and go to a town with it so he has to go get his stuff back. However halfway through doing what the leader of the town (Tina Turner) he decides to leave but that ends up with him walking through a desert which at the last minute gets him to a civilization that believes that Max can lead them to their paradise, 1980's Sydney. However he decides the way to do this after he is reluctantly dragged along is to steal vehicles and other odds and ends necessary from the town and gain numbers from their prisoners. However them doing this means everyone and their brother is out to get them. The movie is stock Mad Max. Basically that's a problem because there is nothing in it as spectacular to look at as the stunts in Fury Road or The Road Warrior, It's just Max walks in this movie like a cowboy, then leaves in the sunset. There are good things like the cinematography, the stunts and the actors are good for the most part. It just has good elements but never goes above and beyond.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Started Out Good But Then Deteriorated Rapidly
Uriah4324 July 2015
After all of his supplies are stolen "Mad Max" (Mel Gibson) walks to a small city in the middle of the desert known as "Bartertown" to try to retrieve what was taken from him. However, in order to get his supplies back he has to make a deal with the ruler of Bartertown known as "Aunty Entity" and she wants her main competitor killed. Now rather than reveal any more of this movie and risk spoiling it for those who haven't seen it I will just say that this film started out great. Unfortunately, when the focus shifted from inside Bordertown to the desert, things began to deteriorate. Essentially, what started as a good post-apocalyptic action movie switched to a fantasy presumably made for a younger audience. At least that is my impression and I blame the directors (George Miller and George Ogilvie) for getting a bit too cute and trying to appease a more general audience and thereby forsaking the viewers who made up their base. As a result I have to rate this film as only average.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Tina Turner Beyond Thunderdome.
Python Hyena16 July 2015
Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome (1985): Dir: George Miller, George Ogilvie / Cast: Mel Gibson, Tina Turner, Helen Buday, Bruce Spence, Frank Thring: Third in the Mad Max series contains perhaps the most complex storyline elevating Max beyond the chaos. It stars Tina Turner as an evil ruler of the town Max drifts into and he is subject to a tremendous combat sequence in an upside down dome where straps suspend himself and his massive opponent. When left in the desert to die he is found by orphans. Directors George Miller and George Ogilvie delivers on exhilarating stunts and action scenes with fantastic futuristic production. Mel Gibson brings a whole new level to Max in his fight for freedom. In Mad Max he was out for revenge. In Road Warrior he served on a mission. Now here he is as good as ever. Turner steals every scene she is in as the ruler and the role is broad and avoids being typical and straight forward. Fine supporting work by Bruce Spence as a thief and pilot who disappears through much of the film yet reappears later. He was much more prominent in the previous films. Helen Buday plays a leader or such who leads these children. Then there is the midget launched on the shoulders of a gladiator called Master Blaster ready for a dome fight. The futuristic theme is lost to excellent production but the film is fun and and goes way beyond Thunderdome and hopefully our expectations. Score: 9 / 10
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The third Mad Max movie is underwhelmingly reduced to a children's fantasy movie.
The Grand Master25 June 2015
I am very disappointed with the way Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome turned out. Mad Max (1979) and Mad Max 2 (1981) were action packed, violent, show stopping bonanzas with both movies setting the trend in movie making. I don't know what happened with Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome. Did some genius high up come up with the suggestion "Will someone please think of the children?" Because it just seems like Mad Max who used to be a road warrior is now reduced to a hero of the children.

Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome sees the return of Max Rockatansky (Mel Gibson). After he is robbed of his possessions whilst travelling through the Australian outback via camel-drawn wagon, Max manages to stumble upon Bartertown, a trading post for all manner of criminals and ruled with an iron fist by a ruthless Amazon-like ruler named Aunt Entity (Tina Turner) as well as a freakish Master Blaster (Angelo Rossitto and Paul Larsson). Bartertown is also powered by pig manure utilised to maintain the town's electricity supply. Max is forced to engage in gladiatorial fights on behalf of Aunt Entity in order that she gain complete control of the town, but he is thrown back out into the desert when Max refuses to kill his opponent. He then stumbles upon a group of orphans, the only survivors of a plane crash during the nuclear war and with their help he returns to Bartertown.

Apart from the fact the entire movie was watered down and just seemed like a kids fantasy movie, there was really nothing spectacular to write about the movie. The train-truck pursuit had the only thing going for it but that was about it.

I can't fault Mel Gibson here and Tina Turner does a decent job as the flamboyant Aunty Entity. Keep an eye out for other actors in the movie such as Angry Anderson, the late Frank Thring, Bruce Spence who returns as a different character, George Spartels (Play School), and a really young Justine Clarke (also from Play School fame as well as a multitude of Australian shows and movies).

I don't know what director George Miller was thinking with Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome. The end result is very underwhelming which saw the trilogy come to an end with a whimper. Thankfully the Mad Max series was spectacularly resurrected with Mad Max: Fury Road (2015) which saw Tom Hardy take over the coveted role as Max Rockatansky.

True action fans and fans of the Mad Max movies should only really consider the first two Mad Max movies as classics, and if they want to consider the fourth movie they can. The third movie was a disappointment.

5/10.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not good movie
michibuzuk14 June 2015
The third part of Mad Max is horrible with even more sand than in part one and two together. But now there isn't just sand, there is pig crap too. The movie is just too boring, and with none of those things we liked in the first two parts, for example car chases. The chase at the end was the same like in Part II, only much shorter and this time Max was driving a train. Max even becomes a kindergarten volunteer and leads a bunch of kids from A to B and from B to A again. How many years passed since the nuclear war and how those kids didn't grew up then? At the end Tina Turner chases Max and his kindergarten with all she has got, loses half her "army" only to let him live just like that even she has lost everything because of him? I had to laugh about this guy who never dies XD That was funny though.
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Worst 3rd movie of a trilogy
berkcangoksoy11 June 2015
Changing a legend into a childish stupid action film is a crime. What the heck is this film wasted 2 hours of my life. Where is the gore of the movies before. Mad max was a merciless man now he is a child hero like spider-man or something wth? I don't recommend this movie to anyone except you are watching to complete the trilogy. It will waste your time and wont fulfill your expectation. No one dies in the film (except a child?!?) A guy gets hit by a train and his car explodes still he is alive and stuff like that. I don't know what they were thinking while making this movie but i bet they were high. I cant even tell something good about it...
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
3rd Installments are Either Great or S*** - This Was the Latter
Rob Starzec9 June 2015
Since the third act is so crucial to stories, you would think that third installments in trilogies should be great, but movies like The Godfather Part III, Spider-man 3 and Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End disappoint so much. George Miller took the road-action aspect of the first two films - the best part - and threw it out the window in this movie.

The end of Mad Max 2 was ambiguous yet still had great closure - a good way the series could have ended instead of moving onto this garbage. As always Max finds himself among a community of people in this post-apocalyptic world, looking for what he needs and nothing more. The people there need his help to rebel against the team of "master" and "blaster." The title comes from Max and "Blaster" fighting to the death in a cage called "Thunderdome." Max is extradited from the community (by a wheel of consequences - really??) after not killing Blaster, which was part of a deal he made. He meets up with a different community that happens to have a huge child to adult ratio, almost to a level like the one in "Hook" by Spielberg. He is forced to help them since they worship him as if he was a hero they all know and love.

Road-action is slightly present in the third act, but it is more ridiculous than in the first two films, so it is not really worth discussing. This film was boring, almost cartoonish, and was a terrible third installment. Third installments are extreme hits or extreme misses, and this was a miss.
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this