IMDb > The Snow Queen (1957) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Snezhnaya koroleva

The Snow Queen More at IMDbPro »Snezhnaya koroleva (original title)

enchanting, even in the botched US presentations

Author: Raymond Tucker from South of the Border
19 January 2004

I was entranced by this film when I saw it a kiddie matinee in the 60s, and upon repeat viewings it is truly wonderful. I just don't understand why this film has not been given a proper treatment in the west. I've seen three english versions; the original US release with Art Linkletter was what I saw in the theater. A few years ago I chanced upon a strange version with the original elf narration restored, but with portions of the score dropped out to make way for horrible contemporary pop songs. Thirdly there was a version shown on PBS sans Linkletter, but with an entirely new soundtrack, which fared better than the pop version I mentioned (though not much better) Still the imagery is fabulous regardless of which botched presentation it is, and I would go out of my way to see an unadulterated version even without the benefit of translation.

A Must for Everyone Who Loves Classic Feature Animation

Author: wonderproductions (wonderproductions@hotmail.com) from Orlando, FLorida
8 February 2003

This is one of the best-loved animated features in Russia, richly animated by the renowned Soyuzmultfilm studio. The dubbed U.S. version was released by Universal in 1959 and was widely shown on local TV stations, especially at Christmas time. A hokey prologue was added for the U.S. release starring TV host Art Linkletter and some extremely polished and starched youngsters, including Billy Booth, who played Dennis the Menace's pal Tommy Anderson on the TV series. The kids literally quote lines from Linkletter's best selling book "Kids Say the Darnest Things." Some videos of the movie do not include this prologue at all. The confusion arises when the director of the prolugue is credited with directing the movie! Several low-budget VHS tapes of this gem have been released, and to this day I have not found one with either a satisfactory film print or sound track. It's a shame, because once you see this film, you never forget it.

Great Adaptation!

Author: David Hutchinson (trampyre@aol.com) from Las Vegas, Nevada
28 November 2004

I have fond memories of this film as a child... Watching it today, it actually still holds up well. The Russians have adapted one of Hans Christian Anderson's lesser-known tales quite well, and utilizes a talented cast for the English-language version: Sandra Dee, Tommy Kirk, Patty McCormick and even June Foray("Rocky" of ROCKY AND BULLWINKLE fame).

Like most of Anderson's stories, THE SNOW QUEEN has many dark moments, and might actually be a little frightening for the little ones, but also treats the viewer to a little bit of morality- that of the love and devotion of two childhood friends. While the actual film is great, the American-added prologue with TV Host Art Linkletter and a bunch of kids really dates the material... fast-forward and enjoy this wonderful treat for young and old.

The tale from my childhood:

Author: Galina from Virginia, USA
7 February 2007

"Snezhnaya koroleva' (1957) aka "The Snow Queen" directed by Lev Atamanov is a beautiful animated movie of my childhood that I'd seen dozens times back in Moscow even before we had a color TV. It is creative, colorful, sometimes dramatic and intense, and always poetic and moving Russian adaptation of Hans Christian Andersen's fairy tale of voyages "The Snow Queen". Seeing it last night after such a long time together with my husband, we both agreed that this is one of the timeless classics. This story of the devoted heart of a little brave girl and the friendship and love which are above everything and are worth to fight for and to go to the end of the world, will never get old. Two best voices of Soviet stage and cinema participated in the narrating of "The Snow Queen", Maria Babanova - The Snow Queen and Yanina Zhejmo – Gerda. Zhejmo was absolutely charming as Cinderella in the Russian adaptation "Zolushka" (1947) which is also one of my all time favorites.

The film was released on DVD by the company "Films by Jove" with the original Russian soundtrack and English subtitles and is available from the company's site. Four more excellent films by Lev Atamanov are included on the DVD: "Golden Antelope", the Indian fairy tale and three short animations, "Bench", "Cyclist", and "Fence" adapted from the cartoons of Herluf Bidstrup, celebrated Danish artist, famous for his comics, humorous drawings, series of graphical anecdotes, and caricatures.

Wisdom of Youth

Author: Gbbooks from Royal Oak, Michigan
24 February 2004

When I first saw this "Snow Queen" at the theatre, I was 10 years old, and even then, I suspected Art Linkletter had no business being on the screen. Boy, was I right. "The Snow Queen" is now on a DVD along with two other Russian animated films, "The Wild Swans" & "Alice and the Mystery of the Third Planet". English, French & Spanish are the DVD language options. The absence of a Russian track is a bit puzzling. Catherine Deneuve voices the Snow Queen in French, Kathleen Turner in English. Kristen Dunst, Mickey Rooney & Laura San Giacomo also perform on the English track. "The Snow Queen" is wonderful. Even my 12 year old son, who much prefers Japanese anime, thought it was pretty good, though he did remind me, he was too adult for such hokey stuff. Nine out of Ten.

A Treasured Childhood Memory

Author: LVSeth (g.rillas@cox.net) from Norfolk Virgina USA
5 May 2002

This movie has been a delight to me all of my life. I saw it originally in the theater, and my father bought the soundtrack album for me, which I still have. The animation is unique and beautiful down to articulate movements of hands and feet. You get the feeling that you are making the journey with Gerda, the heroine in the story. Also, one of the most delightful things about this story, is that the girl is the hero, for a change. I highly recommend it, if you can find it. The English dubbed version is the one I have seen, but it isn't obvious that it has been dubbed. This is truly an animated work of art.

"Fly splinters of ice! Fly!"

Author: Musidora from Chicago
1 November 2000

This is such a beautiful film. Seeing this as a child really spoiled me! As an adult, I searched high-and-low for it for years, then, one day, found it in a bargain-basement-bin for $1.50 at a no-name video store--isn't that irony? I just wish it would be restored and re-released--without the Art Linkletter prologue!

What have the Americans to do with it?

Author: hmsgroop from Samara, Russia
20 March 2001

The film (as anyone can see) was made in the Soviet Union in 1957. Generation after generation of young Russians have grown on it. I decided to vote for it ... and imagine my surprise when I see it on imdb crediting some Phil Patton or whatshisname there. I am very glad that not only the Russians but people of other nations can now see it and buy it via amazon.com. But I firmly believe that the genuine creators of the cartoon should be credited and not those who bought it or in some other mysterious way got hold of it. One of the users of the site writes: "It's one of the most un-Disneylike cartoons." Why should it be Disneylike? Personally, I think that some of Disney cartoons are very good, indeed, though it seems to me that many of them are "syrup on sugar", too sweet, too pink, too bubble gum. This cartoon is rather inspiring. It's one of my favourite, and now my little daughter watches it again and again.

Soyuzmultfilm's wonderful adaptation of Hans Christian Andersen's fairy story

Author: Julia Arsenault (ja_kitty_71) from Canada
11 May 2008

Like I said, animation is an art form and in a few countries in the world, there are some excellent animation...especially in Japan and The Soviet. My first glimpse of animation from Russia are shorts that were dubbed in English in a TV show from Film Roman called "Animated Classic Showcase."

I now confess that Russia's Soyuzmultfilm Studios make excellent animated shorts and films like this wonderful adaptation of Hans Christian Andersen's fairy story - The Snow Queen, which is another favorite of mine. In 1960, the film had been dubbed in English along with a live-action prologue to go with it and a top-notch voice cast like : · Sandra Dee...Gerda, · Tommy Kirk ...Kay, · Louise Arthur...The Snow Queen, · June Foray...Henrietta The Count Raven/ The Finnish woman, · Paul Frees...Ol Dreamy/Mr. Corax the Raven, and... · Patricia McCormack ... Angel the Robber Girl.

Guess what, folks: The Soviets invented animation!

Author: Phlicker
17 October 1999

Oh, all right. Not really. But they might as well have, because "The Snow Queen" was a beautifully realized vision. After nearly forty years, its finely crafted visuals and images have stayed with me.

This movie does very well by the original fairy tale. This is the most undisneyfied take on a classic tale that ever found life as an animated feature. If you are ever in a position to view this picture, by all means do so. Then compare it to "The Little Mermaid" (another Hans Christian Anderson tale), and you'll see what I mean.