IMDb > Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Page 11 of 19: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

A true classic

Author: rachaelallison2
10 May 2013

How do you even review a movie that you grew up with, without being fully nostalgic? Without having a bias towards it because you know it so well?

I don't think you can, which is partly why I love this movie. It's completely wonderful and charming, but the fact that it brings up such nostalgic feelings, and I can recite every line, make it nearly perfect.

The evil queen is so, well, evil! She is so evil, she is willing to make herself the ugliest old hag around in order to kill poor, sweet Snow White!

Snow White, on the other hand, is the sweetest and most gentle young girl (she is only 14, you know). She wouldn't hurt a fly!

And, of course, the dwarfs are the humor in the story. Grumpy is my favorite!

All in all, this movie is truly a 10. Walt Disney was an absolute genius!

1st out of 5 in the Golden Age

Author: Centaurus3
12 April 2013

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is the first Disney film, and the first animated film altogether.

The story is about a young teenager named Snow White who flees into the woods, and stumbles upon a cottage with 7 dwarfs, because her wicked stepmother is after her to kill her.

Even though this film was made back in the 1930s, it still holds up today. The characters are all intriguing (except the Prince), and you are rooting for the good guys. Snow White is a sweet, naive protagonist and even though she is not the most active Disney Princess, you want her to get her happy ending. The Dwarfs each have their own unique, and funny personality, and they are clearly the most interesting characters of the film. Queen Grimhilde is just so bitter and ruthless, and she does her job as a villain extremely well. You don't see much of the Prince, but he is an alright guy, and is good for Snow White.

The animation is pretty good for the time it was made in, but it does have a few inconsistencies, like the movement of the characters, but it was the first animated feature, so it's alright.

The story is pretty close to the Fairy Tale book, and is dedicated to that. There is no problem with the plot at all, but the filler scenes are a bit too long. All of the films in Walt's era has filler in it and that is alright, but in this film, it is a bit too long and some drag o. longer than its welcome.

The songs are brilliant and bring you up. Th classic songs like "Heigh Ho", and "Someday My Prince Will Come" add more depth into our characters and the story. Perfect

If you are on a nostalgic trip, and/or want entertainment for children, this film is perfect. It is iconic for a reason

It's not fantastic, but it's the first Disney classics

Author: nintendogs03 from United States
29 September 2012

I enjoyed watching this movie as a kid and it looked awesome! When I watched it with a friend, it just sounds so cheesy and predictable. It's the first animated movie ever so I give them credit for it's creation and dedication. It won't be all adventurous and complex like Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin, but it's simple and lighthearted (a good path for Disney's first movie).

I got to be honest with you, but I can't stand Snow White! Her voice is do pitchy and annoying. She's so naive and sweet ugh! If I want a princess being my role model; I would turn to Belle for a Disney princess. I just don't like her. The Evil Queen is a lot prettier than Snow White. The Queen is one of my favorite Disney villains alone with Scar and Ursula. The Queen may have awful plans to become a hag (she should have turn Snow White into a hag instead of herself), but she's a ruthless and cold person in and out. She's arguably the best character that this movie has to offer. Second place are the woodland animals and third is the boulder.

The animation looks really good, even from 1937. I really like the colors that the animators used and it looks nicely done. No CGI was used to animate this movie so don't expect Snow White to look like Rapunzek or Princess Fiona from Shrek (her ogre form is prettier than Snow White is). And the scene with the Queen's transformation is nicely done- if this was done by hand, why can't animators these days draw backdrops and things and such? As you read my reviews, I'm not a fan of CGI except Tangled and a few other films.

Snow White may not be Disney's best work, but it is the first animated film ever created. Watch it when your kids are young and discard it when you are older.

Seed of revolution

Author: Vincentiu from Romania
29 December 2011

A courage act. And a seed for an industry without limits. The good lucky movie of Disney. And a great story . Impressive victory of animation and chapter of movies history. A beautiful music and nice characters, gentle emotion and good humor, a Queen as prototype for every bad feminine character and dwarfs as pieces of fabulous machine. A film for each age but significant revolution of vision about this type of show. And a fairy tall makes after new rules, as giant tree in the intention to build a new style to tell that stories. So, a great movie. For remember of childhood, for charming scenes, for sense of fantasy in a cold -gray world. And for new adaptations of a German page about beauty, kindness, mirrors and apples, and Charming Prince.

This heigh-ho definitely has a silver lining.

Author: tyler-and-jack from Edinburgh.
24 November 2011

While it comes as no surprise nowadays (after all of the praise heaped upon it), I'm still impressed at just how much Disney got right in their very first animated feature. The great animation, the catchy songs, the memorable characters, the tone pitched perfectly between great comedy and moments of pant-wetting terror.

Everyone knows the story by now, it's a classic based on the fairy tale by The Brothers Grimm - Snow White is to be taken into the forest and killed because the evil queen wants to be the "fairest one of all". Thankfully, the huntsman can't go through with the dastardly deed and lets Snow White run away. She flees through some dark and scary woodlands until she stumbles across a little house and decides to enter. That house belongs to the seven dwarfs (Sleepy, Sneezy, Grumpy, Doc, Happy, Bashful and Dopey for any pub quizzers) and wariness soon gives way to warmth and friendship. But the evil queen finds out that Snow White remains alive and plots to take care of the situation.

There are a few songs featured in this movie that I'd forgotten about but the more memorable tunes are known by almost everyone who has grown up with a bit of Disney in their lives. "Whistle While You Work", "Some Day My Prince Will Come" and "Heigh-Ho" are absolute classics while even a lesser-known tune like "(Isn't This) A Silly Song" proves entertaining enough while it goes on.

Snow White may be a bit of a bland leading lady (sadly, most Disney ladies are from what I've seen) but the movie lives up when the dwarfs come on screen and each character gets some time to make an impression.

A real group effort, like so many of the genuine Disney classics, I'm not going to single out anyone for praise because the whole thing just comes together so beautifully. It's not quite up there with the very best that the studio could create but it's an absolutely fantastic, and astonishingly accomplished, debut feature from a company who had already made such a great impact with numerous shorts.

A story age can't dim

Author: Petri Pelkonen (petri_pelkonen@hotmail.com) from Finland
11 November 2011

We all know the story.A magic mirror tells the wicked queen her step daughter is the fairest of them all.She tells the huntsman to kill Snow White, but he can't do that.She fins a cabin in the woods, where seven dwarfs live.Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is an animated film from 1937, based on the fairy tale by the Brothers Grimm.Walt Disney really hit the jackpot with this one.It was the first full length cel-animated feature in motion picture history.The voice artist are first class.Adriana Caselotti is the voice of Snow White.Lucille La Verne is Queen Grimhilde.Harry Stockwell (father of Dean) does the voice of The Prince.The dwarfs are voiced by Roy Atwell (Doc), Pinto Colwig (Grumpy and Sleepy), Otis Harlan (Happy), Scotty Mattraw (Bashful), Billy Gilbert (Sneezy) and Eddie Collins (Dopey).The Magic Mirror is voiced by Moroni Olsen.Stuart Buchanan is Humbert the Huntsman.This movie works for both kids and adults.I watched it alone and with my 7-year old cousins.So a man in his 30's can enjoy it as much as children can.It's kind of story that amuses you.Take the scene where Snow White cleans the house with those cute animals for instance.It can also make you cry, like the ending after Snow White has taken a bite from that apple.And those songs heard there are really something.Like "Whistle While You Work".Or "Heigh-Ho".Fantastic! This classic is now 74 years old, but years have done no bad to the story of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.

"Well, once there was a princess".

Author: classicsoncall from United States
10 July 2011

With this review, I've hit a goal I've been aiming for, that of reviewing every film on the American Film Institute's list of Top 100 Films which came out in 1997. I saved this for last because, let's face it, I'm a guy who's more at home with a good Western than a Disney fairy tale, and it would look pretty silly to be seen watching this picture by someone pulling up the driveway and looking though the bay window. So for this viewing, I grabbed my two year old granddaughter for cover, and casually mentioned to her mom and my wife that "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" was about to begin.

You know, I must have seen this as a kid because I remember a fair amount about it, especially the 'Heigh-Ho' song and the talking mirror business. Watching today I was a bit surprised by some of the scary elements in the story, starting off with the Evil Queen's command to the Huntsman to bring back the heart of Snow White in a box. I thought about that for some time, and then wondered what ever happened to the Huntsman. Someone spilled the beans about the pig heart gimmick, but the Queen never got her revenge as far as I could tell.

Since everyone knows the story, I'll mention some of the things I thought about in context of the picture's release in 1937. The term 'Jiminy Crickets' was used twice in the story, but the character of Jiminy Cricket didn't appear in a Disney picture until 1940's "Pinocchio". Up till then, using the term was sort of a sanitized way of taking the Lord's name in vain, sometimes exclaimed as 'Jiminy Christmas'. Judy Garland's character Dorothy in "The Wizard of Oz" says it when startled by the Wizard's lightning and thunder display - "Oh! Oh! Jiminy Crickets!"

There's also the Evil Queen's use of a poisoned apple to put Snow White to sleep, reminiscent of the Bible story of Adam and Eve and the forbidden fruit. But the thing that really intrigued me was when my daughter questioned Snow White's brown eyes. I didn't think much of it until my wife joined the picture in progress about ten minutes later. She remarked on the same thing. It never occurred to me that Walt Disney avoided the blond, blue-eyed stereotype that seemed to be the characteristic of an ideal princess. I haven't read any other observations on this, so I'm just throwing it out there.

Anyway, as an animated classic, this one holds up pretty well after seventy plus years, paving the way for a Disney industry that's still going strong. Considering that the animation was all done by hand makes it even more amazing - the characters, the animals, the Seven Dwarfs all come to life in a magical way that enthralled my granddaughter, keeping her rapt attention until the very end. There's only one thing you can say to that - 'Jiminy Crickets'!

Dinsey classics are always great!

Author: Robert from United States
14 April 2011

Another classic movie from Disney.

I'd say this movie is in between Sleeping Beauty and Beauty and the Beast. It's got some story, a lot of humor, etc. BUt it still lacks the connection with the characters.

But I am still impressed, and I do like the gags with the dwarfs. Very comical! The unique trait that is made obvious from each character's name is funny, as well as their interaction with Snow White. Plus the little bit near the end where the evil Witch/Queen tries to get Snow White to eat the Apple is a bit lame, but hey, it's still a classic!

I'm surprised the queen didn't simply make herself the most beautiful.

I think they could have done a bit more with the story, however I can't complain. It's still a classic.

Pure magic

Author: loserfilmnerd from Canada
5 April 2011

Snow White is considered to be one of the greatest masterpieces of all time for a very good reason. Not only was it innovative and very unique for its time, it is also very thrilling, funny and spellbinding.

Since this is a Disney movie, it goes without saying that the animation was absolutely gorgeous. It contains very fluid animation on top of very detailed backgrounds. It is also very atmospheric, with the mood changing from scary to happy and joyful a few times.

The songs were very wonderful and catchy. The actress who voiced Snow White had a very nice and unique voice. I also thought Hi Ho and the other song the dwarfs sing were very fun and ridiculously catchy. And of course it also had a very beautiful score.

Although there were some things keeping it from a perfect ten. The character of Snow White can at times be irritating in her flawlessness and purity. It felt like the prince was tacked on last minute as a deus ex machina. It seems with most Disney films at the time, the only enjoyable characters are the side characters and the villain. This movie is mostly loved because of the dwarfs. And who couldn't love those guys? They were hilarious. And the Queen was, of course, very menacing and scary.

It could also be argued that the movie had a lot of filler. Almost all Disney movies were full of filler in Walt's time. But most people don't really care, probably because of how entertaining the filler usually is.

This movie is definitely recommended to all animation fans, and those of us who are still children inside.

Over 70 years and it still holds up!

Author: SonictheBandicoot from United Kingdom
3 April 2011

The first Disney classic and still one of the best.

the animation is fluid and clean, the musical score by Frank Churchill is excellent. The songs due to Snow White's slightly irritating singing voice may not all hold up to repeat listening but they are well written, fun and don't distract from the movie. The story is the king here as it's very well told and remains interesting throughout.

Character wise Snow White does kind of suffer from a lack of personality but at least she's no fool and she remains likable. The prince also suffers from having no personality. Each dwarf works perfectly as comic relief and all are endearing and funny, the best Dwarfs although its hard to choose are Doc, Dopey and Grumpy. Walt Disney did a lot of experimenting with snow white and if it was one future Disney tradition that he got 100% right first time was creating a threatening and memorable villain with The Evil Queen. She has a menace to her appearance and mannerisms that make her a deeply effective villain and definitely the best villain of the Golden Age features.

If there's anything in snow White that doesn't work anymore its that in some scenes all the dialogue rhymes as if they were meant to be songs which at one point they were, today this comes across as cringe worthy in some scenes but overall the film remains a Disney classic.

Critical grade: 10/10, Personal Enjoyment: 10/10