IMDb > Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Page 11 of 20: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

MIRROR, MIRROR ON THE WALL -- This is no doubt The fairest of them all!

Author: Alex Deleon ( from United States, Budapest, etc.
31 March 2015

SNOW WHITE & THE SEVEN DWARFS, 1938 Viewed at Berlin 2015 in restored Technicolor Retro series.

IMG_1272.JPG THE Seven Dwarfs R~L: Sleepy, Bashful, Doc, Grumpy, Happy, Sneezy, DOPEY — Find Snow White asleep in their cottage

MIRROR MIRROR ON THE WALL Who is Fairest of them all? — The Mother of all Animation. The beautiful queen's beauty is exceeded only by her vanity So she needs to be reassured every day that She is the most beautiful female in the realm. Of this her magic all-seeing mirror reminds her daily until one day … Nope — not anymore Babe –your own step daughter, Snow White has now emerged from puberty and puts you to shame in terms of pure pulchritude. Oh NO!!- gotta get rid of that pert little bitch. Woodsman, take her out in the forest and do her in! But woodsman doesn't have the heart to bump lovely Innocent maiden off so he turns her loose and claims the wolves got her. But of course they didn't –So with all the friendly forest animals and birds — prancing fawns and flitting lovebirds — taking her under their wings (incredibly beautiful animation sequence) — they lead her to the cottage of the seven dwarfs who whistle while they work merrily in the nearby mines. (their cheerful songs kick in all of which became instant pop hits ~ Heigh ho, Heigh ho — it's off to work we go — etc.) — and the dwarfs each representing a certain state of mind or human foible — became stars on their own: HAPPY, Doc, Bashful, Sleepy, Sneezy, Grumpy and, last but not least, lovable Dopey. This was the first movie I ever saw at age six and I identified strongly with Dopey. Now it becomes a little horror film. The evil queen changes herself into a most scary witch and coming to the cottage in disguise as a friendly old hag offers blissfully naive Snow White the poison apple that puts her into a state of deathlike Suspended Animation — (pun intended) — The horrified dwarfs think she is dead and enshrine her in a class coffin and there she stays suspended until Prince Charming comes along and pulls her out if it with the fateful kiss of pure love –whereupon all Live happily ever after.

Anybody who can resist the visual beauty and magical charm of this mother of all animations, can only be the ultimate grump and should be put out of his misery with a poisoned apple — Disney's clean cut cartooning style is like Rembrandt to Peanuts in comparison to successor animation styles in terms of rendering skill and grace of image movement. The ultimate genius of the genre his Snow White is Evergreen and continues to out-dwarf the competition Seven and a half decades after it first appeared. Pure joy if you ever get a chance.

An Achievement

Author: gavin6942 from United States
20 February 2015

The fair Snow White, pursued by a jealous queen, hides with the Dwarfs; the queen feeds her a poison apple, but the handsome prince has other ideas.

Looking back now (2015), after 75 years, you could be a bit critical of the film. Maybe the songs are not the best, or the animation is less than perfect. Certainly the voices (particularly Snow White herself) are not the voices you wan to hear necessarily. But put it all in context.

This was, for all practical purposes, the first full-length animated feature. One can argue about earlier films (and rightly so), but this is the one that took the world by storm, sold millions of tickets and became part of American culture. Heck, they even used a clip in "Gremlins".

The One a That Started It All

Author: Vimacone
15 February 2015

Snow White remains the greatest achievement from the Disney Studio. Nowadays it seems hard to believe that there was once a time where many people thought the idea of a full length animated feature was preposterous and that people could have an emotional reaction to a cartoon was never considered. Snow White proved the naysayers wrong. For Disneys first feature, the artists did everything really effectively with timing, character development, storytelling, mood, and atmosphere. For me the elements that really grabbed me were the layouts, the dramatic moods, and of course the dwarfs. An interesting anecdote relating to Snow White's voice is that some of the people who worked on the film, including Disney himself, were irritated by her high pitched voice at times (I wonder how her voice actor felt about that).

With over 50 animated films that have been produced from Disney in the decades since, Snow White remains one of greatest.

Snow White is a visual and audio wonder, even over time.

Author: FireFan from United States
31 December 2014

This cartoon took much painstaking effort and planning to create. It is a delicately and carefully made masterpiece of animation. The film used an old-fashioned way of drawing each little movement of the cartoons many different separate times and then it was all blended together as one whole. The characters win you over and the story is heartwarming. This full-length movie was a plan of Walt Disney's to make after he and the studio earned enough revenue to pay for its production by many cartoon shorts with some including Mickey Mouse, known as the "silly symphonies." The movie/cartoon Snow White is a very special family film intended for children of all ages. I would count it as a great classic.

"Still the fairest of them all"

Author: msw50 from Phoenix, AZ
19 December 2013

"Still the fairest of them all", Disney's first masterpiece is as beautiful, frightening, charming and enchanting as they come.

The songs and animated dancing are brilliant, so many great songs in one movie. "Someday my prince will come" later covered by Miles Davis, is a classic, " Whistle while you work" so fun and so many more hits come out of this one movie.

The dwarfs themselves are so cute and funny . There lovable personalities added humor and my young nieces adored them.

The beauty of the art work and backgrounds create a complete fantasy world that is rich and detailed, and alive.

The classic story, is told with humor, pathos, suspense and beauty.

The First Animated Film

Author: AaronCapenBanner from North America
7 December 2013

Walt Disney's first animated feature-length film is a charming(no pun intended!) tale about how Snow White flees the wrath of a powerful, but jealous and evil Queen, to the forest, where she finds refuge in the home of seven dwarfs(Dopey, Doc, Sleepy, Happy, Sneezy, Bashful, and Grumpy) who are at first startled by her unexpected arrival, but become stalwart allies as the Queen locates her, putting her into a deep sleep after eating a poisoned apple that only the kiss of Prince Charming can wake her from, and leading to a memorable mountaintop climax. Superb animation(when it was still painstakingly hand drawn) is the highlight. Sure, the story is quite thin, but so richly and vividly put across that it doesn't matter. A classic, and one of the best of its kind.

Vanity Run Amok In The Land Of Weirdos

Author: Ryan Ellis from Toronto, Canada
22 November 2013

The Queen should've just looked into her mirror---and stopped listening to her mirror---to see that she is indeed fairer than Snow White. I mean, judging 76-year-old cartoon characters on the basis of hotness is kinda creepy, but I'll risk creep accusations. The Queen is a babe. Too bad she's a murderous psycho who's obsessed with winning a beauty contest. It's like she's trying to one-up her mirror. "I'll show you who's more subjectively beautiful, you glass devil!" We're all a little vain sometimes, but don't you have a kingdom to run, lady?

Not that the dwarfs are above reproach either. They're sitting on a fortune in gems and they aren't even spending any of it to improve their lot in life...or the lot of those less fortunate than them. Plus, they tend to wallow in filth. Geez, what a motley cast of characters. Snow White is one of the shallowest movie characters in history, but she should have just bailed on ALL these weirdos. Take the hardworking woodland creatures and split for Oz or Neverland or Belize.

But I do love this movie. Irrationally, really. It's the dwarfs! Dopey is the cutest nitwit of all time and Grumpy is pretty much always right. Snow White DOES bring them misery and they would've been saved a lot of heartache if they'd just kicked her out. Still, it's sweet that even Grumpy relents. How can you not relent and fall for this gorgeous little trifle of a movie? The American Film Institute sure did, putting Snow & The 7 on five of its Best Of compilations, including both of the "100 Years, 100 Movies" lists.

So, yes, the Queen is evil and everyone else in this movie is absurdly pure at heart, but I still think I'd like to live under the Queen's reign. Apparently she spends most of her time gossiping with a mirror and not, you know, doing her job. You could get away with murder, maybe even step-daughtericide! The Queen herself almost does.

If you dug this snapshot review, check out the website I share with my wife ( and go to the "Podcasts" section for our 31-minute Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs 'cast...and many others. Or find us on Itunes under "Top 100 Project".

A good fairy tale

Author: pelicansmailbox-742-14343 from India
29 July 2013

dear sir,I like to read about fairy tales whether shortened or in a long form.I think animation movies are good.I think there were animation stories from kerala and from India,where I reside.I think animation stories are good for the entire family-maybe only a few get a x certificate-ie for those who are particular.I think Walt Disney was a good maker of animation movies.I think animation movies are good,I guess that there was a animation movie called gatotkatcha in Hindi which is about a character from the Indian Mahabharata-well he was the son of Bhima who was of great help in the pandavas fight against the kauravas.In the clash he died like a true hero.He had a lot of magical power-he used to dispatch weapons from heaven,though he was born someone like a ogre-i guess he fought on the virtuous side.thanks

"Snow White" - the one that started it all

Author: Chris Mizerak
21 June 2013

"Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" is a significant piece of American film history for many reasons. Chief among them that it was the first full-length animated feature ever made. This film was responsible for influencing other landmark fantasy films such as "The Wizard of Oz" (1939) and "Star Wars" (1977), and the gratitude from critics and audiences alike for its existence will not cease for quite some time. That being said, does Walt Disney's 1937 animated landmark film hold up as a piece of cinema today aside from its importance and our memories of watching it as a kid? For the most part, it does.

I think it's safe to say that most of us know the story to this one. An evil queen has learned from her magic mirror that her stepdaughter Snow White is considered "the fairest one of all" and this causes the queen to be jealous. She becomes so jealous in fact that she sends out her loyal huntsman to kill her stepdaughter. But the huntsman is unable to pull off this task and orders Snow White to run away and never come back. Lost, confused, and alone, she finds a cottage in the woods which is occupied by seven little dwarfs where she seeks shelter and protection from the queen.

The story behind the making of "Snow White" is amazing. The production of this movie lasted for 4 ½ years and during that production, many complications aroused. From the seemingly endless increase in the production's costs to the skepticism from everybody including Disney's growing staff of animators regarding whether or not anyone will watch a feature length cartoon. They were concerned that the film would run out of gags or the colors would be too bright. If that didn't sound dramatic enough, they didn't settle on the names of the dwarfs until under a year before the film came out and the film itself was completed 2 ½ weeks before its release. Imagine the amount of work they had to do with the advertising and whatnot. Just hearing what I said alone, it's miraculous that the film did outstanding financially and critically. Otherwise, the Disney studios would have probably gone out of business due to the film's costs. It really is an amazing success story and is sure to give those who currently resent the Disney Company's ways a better respect for what Walt Disney himself had accomplished.

As for the quality of the film itself, it still holds up well. The animation is still as breathtaking and impressively detailed as it was in 1937. It's all the more outstanding if you look at the landmark black-and-white Mickey Mouse short, "Steamboat Willie" (1928) and look at the very basic animation used in that short. Then look at the more realistic animation in this film. By doing that, you can obtain a much deeper appreciation of just how far the animation studio had come during that era. The progress that studio made from "Steamboat Willie" to "Snow White" is unbelievable. It truly does have to be seen to be believed.

The music from Frank Churchill, Leigh Harline, and Paul Smith is filled with songs we all know and love from "Heigh Ho" to "Someday My Prince Will Come". Even though Snow White's singing voice may be too much for some tastes, the songs still have nice lyrics and a terrific melody to them. The background musical score is simply wonderful from beginning to end. It gives this landmark achievement in filmmaking the epic scope and memorability that it rightfully deserves. Ever since this film, most of Disney's animated features have been musicals and one could easily say that "Snow White" started a great tradition. It further explains why animation and music are practically peanut butter and jelly in the film industry.

The characters that hold up the best are easily the seven dwarfs. Nowadays, I feel like I talk similarly to the way Doc talks in that he mixes up his words more than a couple times but still makes wise decisions. I think we all know someone in our own personal lives who acts like Grumpy. As for Dopey, he rightfully deserves comparison with the great pantomime clowns like Charlie Chaplin and Harpo Marx. The storytellers did a great job at bringing the personalities of the dwarfs to life. Snow White and the prince himself are underdeveloped character wise. But to be fair, it was difficult drawing these characters around the time this film came out.

If it weren't for the existence of "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs", we probably still wouldn't know what kind of films to make for our kids. And we probably wouldn't have much in the way of either animated or fantasy films. Many of us including myself will be forever grateful for what Walt Disney and his staff of animators have accomplished with this film. It was a terrific film to see during my childhood and it was worthy revisiting it as a young adult and appreciating it as a giant landmark in the history of American filmmaking.

A true classic

Author: rachaelallison2
10 May 2013

How do you even review a movie that you grew up with, without being fully nostalgic? Without having a bias towards it because you know it so well?

I don't think you can, which is partly why I love this movie. It's completely wonderful and charming, but the fact that it brings up such nostalgic feelings, and I can recite every line, make it nearly perfect.

The evil queen is so, well, evil! She is so evil, she is willing to make herself the ugliest old hag around in order to kill poor, sweet Snow White!

Snow White, on the other hand, is the sweetest and most gentle young girl (she is only 14, you know). She wouldn't hurt a fly!

And, of course, the dwarfs are the humor in the story. Grumpy is my favorite!

All in all, this movie is truly a 10. Walt Disney was an absolute genius!