IMDb > "Ghost Hunters" (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Patience is a Virtue

Author: lmcarriere from Canada
18 April 2006

Compared to all other shows in this genre this one takes the cake so to speak. They are better than all the other ones for one simple reason. This show doesn't go out trying to make things happen just to keep the viewer entertained. TAPS goes out with an objective view to validate their own subjective opinions. If you want to see just the highlights of what they have found, go to the website.

Sure, some episodes come out with nothing at all. But they compliment this with emphasis on genuine character relationships and development (if you watch them in series). Then when you come across some of the episodes where unexplainable (and in some cases unbelievable) things occur, you appreciate them all that more because you know it isn't staged or a hoax. I wish I had the sci-fi channel just for this. I would strongly recommend the DVD's whether your just superstitious or a full fledged hunter yourself.

Great show!

Author: Stephen (habadaman@gmail.com)
5 November 2004

Ghost Hunters is a great show! One of the few on TV that I look forward to nowadays. Its entertaining and fun and has a way of making you feel like you are going on the adventure with them every week. The Taps members all seem cool and what I like about them is they don't sugarcoat things. If they find no evidence, they don't pretend to! They are upbeat and honest and truly have one of the better shows on television right now.

So congratulations to Jason, Grant, Brian and all the rest! Keep up the good work and lets keep this show on the air!

Totally addictive

Author: zzoaozz from United States
28 December 2005

My media edition computer has a Tivo like deal and has figured out that I like horror movies, so it saw the word Ghost and recorded four or five eps of Ghost Hunters for me. I rolled my eyes and watched the first one... well let's just say that by the time I finished the last one it was way past my bedtime and was caught, hook - line - and sinker. The guys in TAPS are interesting, sincere, and such an odd and occasionally volatile mix of personalities. What keeps me coming back, though, is that every now and then they do catch something that can't be explained, something that makes your skin crawl just a little bit. Put aside your skepticism and give it a chance.

Reality TV - Ghost Investigations

Author: gotto-family from United States
13 May 2006

A reality show that documents the efforts of part-time ghost hunters. The group of individuals, called TAPS, and led by Grant and Jason, Roto-Rooter Plumbers full-time, are called upon to investigate private homes and public buildings by those who believe they are experiencing supernatural phenomenon. The ghost-hunters employ what they perceive as a scientific approach to investigation of the paranormal. Psychics are seldom in accompaniment and cameras and various other recorders and filming devices are used in the examination of the various sites that the Hunters choose to investigate. Given the minimal amount of "scientific" evidence of haunting that is obtained, it is easy to recognize that the show is not completely staged. In fact, the plugs for Roto Rooter and meetings with family members by the investigators are the only obvious staged filming. Oddly enough, the camera personnel often focus on the TAPS members during moments of supernatural occurrence rather than zooming in on the ghostly activities.

The show has soap opera like qualities as much as soap opera has life-like qualities. The show focuses not only on ghost hunting, but also on the personal squabbles and bickering among TAPS members.

The TAPS members are very down-to-earth, but professional and committed to helping those who are alarmed or curious about potential haunts. Its not long that you become acquainted with the central characters, Brian, Steve, Grant, and Jason, and familiar with their personal pitfalls and strengths.

Occasionally the show manifests its quest for ratings, but seldom delivers anything that will make your heart peak the Richter scale. You will either grow to love or hate the characters, and expect disappointment in the way of ghost investigation after repeated viewing.

10 Stars

Author: julysturtle from United States
23 October 2006

I have been a Ghost Hunters fan since the first season and I am now addicted to it. This show is the most interesting show on today. I love spending my nights watching them. This is the first paranormal show that I believe to have genuine footage and experiences. Grant, Jason and the rest of the TAPS Crew are amazingly funny and honest people. Not only do they give you real experiences but you get a good giggle out of some of their reactions. They don't go in to find a ghost they are there to investigate and "debunk" what is being seen. I you believe then you must watch. This program is not just a program it is an awesome experience.

Ghost Hunters, One of my Best shows of the week!

Author: sandyroy74 from Bemidji, Minnesota
3 November 2005

If you are like me, people who think that when we die there has to be more. Well this is one of those shows that are a must to see. I make sure every week I am by the set ready to see where these guys are going to go next and what they are going to find. As said before they are not out just to discover ghost activity they are out there proving that some stories are not what they are made out to be. But on the other hand some stories seem to prove true. Love how they show everything including disagreements they may have on their investigations. I especially enjoyed the Halloween special they had, All I say is that they are doing a great job and I want to see this staying on the air. Great entertainment that will keep you on the edge of your seat...

Entertaining for all the wrong reasons...

Author: ImaBigD from United States
28 December 2012

I came across a Ghost Hunters marathon on SyFy by accident over the holiday break and then watched a season of GHI International as well on Netflix (can you tell I quickly became addicted to this train wreck). As evidenced by the fact that I continued to watch, the show clearly has entertainment value, just not for the right reasons. As far as actual ghost hunting goes, the it's absolutely hilarious that the show claims to base any of it's conclusions in science. In the spirit of Dave Damesheck's "Shame Report" Series on NFL.com, I'm debuting BigD's Shame Report: Special Reality TV Edition:

5.) What the hell is up with all the distracting closeups, obnoxious camera angles and over the top soundtrack during the so called "investigations?" Was that mysterious creaking noise coming down the hallway or was that the most annoying soundtrack ever? As a viewer I can't ever tell when something was happening during the investigation or was added for effect later (go figure). Maybe because without all the added effects, this turns into hide-and seek in the dark with a bunch of townies. SHAME!

4.) Why are there always two people on an "investigation" yet it's almost always the case that even though they are standing right next to each other, the other person NEVER hears or sees what the other person saw or heard?

"Did you hear that really creepy, definitely ghost-like sound?" "Huh, what - where?"

Isn't the point of the buddy system here to provide another confirmatory witness to the supposed paranormal activity? These have to be the dummest, non-observant, buddies int he history of reality TV. Oh, and how about you use your "inside ghost hunting voice" when you are talking to your investigator buddy so that, you know, you don't actually miss an actual creak or creepy piano bar coming down the hall from an actual ghost. SHAME!

3.) What credentials do you need to be an "investigator" on this show, anyway? I get the technical guy, because he actually has to know a little bit about lighting, camera, and audio equipment (Best Buy training manual - check) but the other dolts look like they rolled out of "name your favorite sports bar" in "Anytown USA".

How do these clowns qualify as "investigators?" Have they gone to "investigator' school? Do they have an "investigator" certificate from an accredited "investigator" program (or otherwise). Is there an "investigator" app they downloaded?

By the standard of the show, all they need to be able to do is fumble around in the dark with a flashlight and a tape recorder and gamely throw a hissy-fit at the slightest creak or shadow. SHAME!

2.) Can someone explain to me why ghosts only come out when all the lights are turned off? The "ghosts" in question are often times (if not most of the time) reported as being seen in the day by the ...wait for it...people on location who have actually seen them. Yet, in order for their "investigations" to happen, all the lights have to be turned off and the scary night-vision cameras turned on.

Last time I checked, audio can still be recorded during the day, and thermal imaging isn't bothered by daylight either. And how do you see a "shadow" in total darkness anyway (which seems to be the case in every episode)? Wouldn't your flashlight create a shadow, everywhere you looked? Maybe it's because at night, when you are fumbling around in the dark, any little sound or spec of light in the distance is magnified by your brain because, you know - it's creepy and dark?

Here's a suggestion - turn on the lights! How are you going to catch a ghost in total darkness anyway? You don't know where you are, we (the viewers) don't know where you are. Nobody can see dick - it's like hunting with Ray Charles! SHAME!

1.) Hey ghost - can you touch me now? So the lights are off, the cameras are rolling - hey baby, time to get it on! Why are ghosts obligated to be touchy feely on the first date? It's always the same line (or variation) during the investigation: "if you want to let us know you are here - touch one of us. Say your name, baby..."

If a ghost takes a while to manifest themselves to the people actually living in the house, why would they let you get to first base in the span of a few minutes? These are so-called investigations, not lap dances! If somebody barges into your house asking you to touch them and say your name, would you oblige, or call the cops? Can you say stranger danger!?...SHAME!!

And here is your special "ghost hunting edition" white plastic bag of shame to wear.....

Hilarious stuff, it's just not supposed to be.

Author: TheEmulator23 (Shelman23@gmail.com) from S. Lake Tahoe, CA
17 August 2009

I love Paranormal, Supernatural, Haunted, and/or whatever you want to call it. Do I believe in any of it for real. No. These guys are really entertaining but for all of the wrong reasons. I would love to go on one of these haunted missions because I could debunk everything right then and there. So could just about every non-believer in this stuff. Will I still be entertained by other entertainment containing these elements? Absolutely I will! Will ever convert to any of this ridiculous stuff, not in a million years. I wish I could believe and be spooked by chairs moving or water be turned on or whatever they say happens. Notice that none of these people are exactly educated, and if they were ALL of it could be explained. Still can be good stuff if you believe in it, but if not you'll be laughing at these people bumping around in the dark, scaring each other over nothing. There is reason why there is absolutely zero credible evidence of anything spooky going on, it's because there isn't.

Great if you like to keep Ghost Hunting real (mostly)

Author: georgiamoxie
14 July 2016

I enjoyed Ghost Hunters from the beginning because they don't create ghostly activity just to make a good show. If they saw nothing they say a location isn't haunted and they move on. By doing so I'm able to accept it when they do say a location is haunted.

I can't tolerate shows that drag in a ton of reenactment with staged actors, psychic mediums, and filler in order to keep the viewer entertained. I roll my eyes and change the channel.

If you're the type who wants to watch a Ghost Hunter show because you're skeptical if it's real, this is a good show. If you don't care and just want to see some maybe real life haunted footage then this isn't the show for you because you won't see it in every episode.

Go back to Roto-Rooter!

Author: humphreys-828-116926 from United States
29 June 2014

I think this show succeeds for the same reason that the great religions do: if it was more convincing people would be suspicious.

It is either brilliantly thought out and executed to be so appalling boring and unconvincing or its just a happy accident. The fact that its totally absurd strangely attracts people to choose to believe in it.

Its amazing that these clowns are being paid to make television when they are so absurdly bad at it. The entertainment value is even worse than the 'evidence'. If you're going to fake ghost footage at least make it interesting. When you have to subtitle the audio it means that its really not saying anything, its just random noise.

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]