IMDb > Breakin' All the Rules (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Breakin' All the Rules

Breakin' All the Rules More at IMDbPro »

Dumping a lover is hard to do

Author: jotix100 from New York
2 September 2005

"Breaking all the Rules" looked promising just by having the talented Jamie Foxx in the lead role. As it plays on the screen, this comedy, directed by Daniel Tablitz, who also wrote the screen play, seems to have been produced on the strength of its star, or maybe someone in the studio decided that making it with a mostly black cast, had possibilities. This comedy could have been played by any cast of any color without making any dent in the genre.

The basic problem is the screen play. Do we care about these people? I don't think so. The running gag about Nicky resembling Halle Berry runs tired after the second time it's mentioned. Even the book that Quincy writes makes no sense.

Jamie Foxx is about the only pretext for spending almost an hour and a half with this film. He is an interesting performer no matter what he is doing. The beautiful Gabrielle Union is fine as Nicky, but there is no heat between Quincy and her. The rest of the cast struggles to make this comedy succeed.

Watch it at your own risk.

Great Film!!

Author: jemswan123 from United Kingdom
23 May 2005

I loved this film. and guess what I am white! most people seem to feel the film is racist.. i don't see it myself.. Jamie Fox is so funny and i love the love triangles in the film. there's slight confusion in a few parts of the film tho that still confuse me. I like the girl actress. Jamie Foxx's best mate was a little tiresome, but i loved the humour. in this film. i loved the soundtrack too. Id be interested in buying this on DVD and watching it again as it was an A Class film!! i though this film would be "typical black comedy" but it proved me totally wrong. I want the soundtrack too as some of the songs were amazing. Also the female singer in the 2nd club scene was amazing, if she isn't a real singer she should be. She has an amazing voice. My favourite part of the film.. well i don't know its all really funny stuff. I watched it with my boyfriend, he agreed on the soundtrack and the humour. I would recommend this film to all ages. Excellent !! * Highly ReccommendS*

The Break Up Handbook Movie

Author: Chrysanthepop from Fraggle Rock
23 July 2008

Daniel Tablitz's 'Breakin' All the Rules' has some genuinely funny moments. It's not a classic but most of it is quite enjoyable. It sticks to the main point. I liked the idea that the main character is a man who's writing a self-help book about broken relationships. Usually such characters are played by women so this felt fresh and cool. The problem is that some of the jokes lose their touch as they are too stretched out but the confusion and mistaken identity bits were quite funny. The film highly depends on its cast. Jamie Foxx is a natural performer where comedy is concerned thus here is no exception. The cute Gabrielle Union is decent but she doesn't convince in the sequences where Nicky's angry. Moreover the chemistry between her and Foxx seems more as though they are friends rather than two people who are strongly attracted to each other. Jennifer Esposito springs a surprise as a semi-dominatrix seductress. Morris Chestnut does not impress and Peter MacNicol is alright. Bianca Lawson provides a few chuckles as the bitchy girlfriend. Overall, this isn't among the funniest movies but it may be worth giving a chance on a relaxed evening. For me the most hilarious sequences were Helen's irritation with Quincy's dog and what Quincy does to 'solve' the problem, the party sequence where all 6 of the lead cast come together for a showdown, Nicky and Mr. Lynch...and there are a few more.

It Breaks All the Rules for Good Film Making **

Author: edwagreen from United States
5 September 2012

When the girl that he wants to marry dumps him, Jamie Foxx is inspired to write a handbook for men in how to go about breaking up with women. The book becomes a best seller; unfortunately, the picture is not.

The picture, though funny at times, becomes a farce where the 3 guys fall for each other's women. You know that eventually there will be a scene where the 3 will meet, especially when one of the guys is the boss of the firm where the other 2 work.

These pictures of mistaken identity work only to a point and that point is reached earlier in the film.

One of the songs singing about a preacher and teacher is absolutely ridiculous.

There are some funny sequences, especially with one of the girls and an old man at a rehabilitation center, but you can only go far with that.

Good quick and to the point type of movie

Author: jorge_m_paredes from United States
23 November 2006

This movie was one of those movies that you can actually sit down and watch with your girlfriend without having your buddies make fun of you afterward, I personally thought that the whole cast was well thought out it was funny and also holds true to many of those that have or don't really know exactly how to break up with someone, The main character goes thru a lot of changes from when he first starts out and although it might seem predictable at times you will really enjoy the ride all the way thru the end. This movies is one of the few movies that really doesn't leave any stone unturned, questions unanswered yet it makes you wonder did I ever do that to anyone or leave someone that way to produce a stalker... Its a great addition to the whole romance comedy genre.

Breakin' All the Rules — For those who believe there are rules in dating

Author: Avid Climber from Montreal, Canada
28 January 2013

Breakin' All the Rules presents the worst part about dating (never mind that it's a stupid concept): that some people believe there are rules, or make up their own.

If you accept that, all in all, it's a funny movie. The story is inventive, even if there's no big surprise. Jamie Foxx plays a very attaching love broken man, the beautiful Gabrielle Union gives us a nice balancing act of sweet, smart, and upset, and both of them are really hot together. Morris Chestnut is great as a wingman, Jennifer Esposito looks born to play the gold digger, and Peter MacNicol seems to have found the sweet spot of the clueless desperate rich media owner.

Some of the acting is over done a bit, especially the psychotic character played by Bianca Lawson. Jamie seems to push his suave a bit too far at time, just as Morris does.

It's good entertainment if you accept the limitation and the subject.

Foxx is on his way!!

Author: Robert W. (Robert_duder@hotmail.com) from Ontario, Canada
30 October 2004

I never really had much to say in the way of Jamie Foxx prior to his recent break out in roles ie. Collateral and although I haven't seen it yet I have no doubt his performance in "Ray" will further my opinions of him. He's a great character actor and possibly on his way to being the caliber of such great African American performers as Denzel Washington and Will Smith. His role in Collateral was scene stealing and up against Tom Cruise's Oscar worth performance it was a challenge but he impressed me. Then comes this fun little romantic comedy. A very different change of pace for Foxx but he pulls it off flawlessly in a amusing, and fun to watch film.

Breakin All The Rules is about an editor turned author who is dumped by his model girlfriend (Bianca Lawson) and during his fit of depression ends up writing a guide to breaking up with people...the right way. His cousin and best friend played perfectly by Morris Chestnut is a womanizer who doesn't believe in these rules until he sees them in action. The book makes Quincy famous, but unlucky in love until he meets the perfect woman in a case of mistaken identity and falls for her. It just so happens she is the latest girlfriend of his cousin who is also in love with her.

The comedy in this film relies heavily on the old formula of mistaken identities, and mix ups in happenings, reminds me of the old Three's Company episodes. The film also relies heavily on the personalities of the characters. The womanizer, the nice misunderstood main character guy, the stuck up model ex girlfriend, the "perfect" woman, and the other supporting characters make the film brilliant. The film is full of former TV sitcom actors which perhaps makes sense being it does play out like an episode of a sitcom but really what is wrong with that? Peter MacNichol of Ally McBeal fame plays his usual character but always fun to watch. He's the perfect blend of superiority while being completely inferior. Leading lady played by Gabrielle Union goes with both Foxx and Chestnut's character and she does a great job. Previously seen as her role on Friends, I was never fond of her although I liked her character in 10 Things I Hate About You and she's had some other great roles. She was perfect for her role in this film. Jennifer Esposito makes a fun little addition to the cast as the slightly psycho girlfriend/fiancée of MacNichol's character. The cast just works so well together and the film is written in such a way that you can't help but enjoy it's simplicity.

I enjoy what everyone on the message board calls "Black Cinema" but this is one of the best because it's still very mainstream without losing the culture. Overall this is a fun film to check out a Saturday night, it's not too heavy but is satisfying and cliché'd which sometimes is a good thing.

I haven't laughed so hard in months.

Author: angeliqx from California
24 May 2004

I have to say I wasn't expecting it to be so hilarious. It was just one laugh after the next. Jaime Fox has definitely come a long way from In Living Color, showing not only his comedic talents but also his flair for the romantic. Gabrielle Union adding her charisma to the women stuck between two cousins, and Morris Chestnut looking as sexy as ever. I'm surprised it wasn't advertised as much. Jennifer Esposito is the woman you love to hate, and Peter MacNicol with his nervous humor makes for a film that you don't want to miss. The music was integrated perfectly into the dialogue. Heather Headley being the topper with her song "He Is", moving the audience to remember what it was like to fall in love. If you haven't seen it, see it. If you've seen it, see it again. Don't let this film go unnoticed.

the break up movie

Author: kai ringler from United States
20 August 2007

seems to me that this is where they got the idea for HITCH. this is a very good movie, funny, sarcastic, witty. jamie foxx is terrific, so is gabrielle union. i like the way that they wrote the story, the way that they set it up where the one person doesn't know what the other one is doing, and that they think that it's another person, i guess you just have to watch it to see what i mean. i think in real life that the "break up" book would be very helpful to a lot of people. now granted this isn't an action movie, so don't expect action, what however you should expect is a lot of laughs, and i don't mean a little, i mean tons of laughs, this movie will keep you in stitches the whole entire time,, my fav. character of course was the dog,, trying to get through the doggie door, then peeing when he get's stuck in the door , i thought that was cute.

One of Jamie Foxx's best

Author: view_and_review from California
21 February 2007

Jamie Foxx is finally starting to show his talent as an actor in the last three years or so. This movie is probably one of the best he's been in with "Ray" and "Collateral" being his two best. This movie flew under the radar and was very good. There were some very competent actors in this film: Jamie Foxx, Morris Chestnut, Gabrielle Union, Jennifer Espesito, and Peter MacNicol all held their own. The story was exceptional. After being dumped by his girlfriend, Quincy Watson (Jamie Foxx) becomes a recluse and compiles a ton of notes on the rules of breaking up. His friend, Evan Fields (Morris Chestnut), saw the brilliance in the notes and helps him put them into a book titled "Breakin All the Rules". The book is a big success and Quincy finally emerges from the cocoon he created in his house.

The true story doesn't begin until Quincy meets Evan's girlfriend, Nicky (Gabrielle Union), and falls for her. The movie slyly became a romantic comedy. Along with the main story of Quincy and Nicky, there were other captivating sub-plots that were neatly intertwined with the main plot to keep the movie intriguing. This was a very underrated yet good film.