IMDb > Tom and Jerry: The Movie (1992) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Kill me

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
26 March 2009

Tom and Jerry, my absolute favorite childhood cartoon, I couldn't wait to wake up each morning to watch the crazy cat and mouse go after each other. Now I had heard a little bit about Tom and Jerry the movie, but never had an interest just because it frightened me that it was made in the early 90's, just knowing the time and what they would do to butcher our lovable icons, I couldn't see this tragedy. But the movie was on HBO and I had nothing better to watch so I figured, just have an open mind and think that this was made more for the kids. Now I was 7 when this movie was made, so I had to get into that mind set that I might think this is at least if anything just a good family film. Yeah, that was nice, I was convinced for the first 4 minutes of this movie that everything was going to be OK and then I realized... why are Tom and Jerry not making me laugh? What is going on? I suppose I'll tell you.

Tom and Jerry are both together with their owners as they are about to move to a new home. The moving van is at their old house waiting, and Tom overdoses in the back of the car. However when he notices Jerry, he puts him on a stick, and Jerry, noticing no escape and knowing that he will fly, he grabs hold of Tom's whiskers so they fly together into the garden. Jerry quickly dashes into his mouse hole and locks the door, Tom nailing wooden planks on the door. Tom leaves the house, but it's too late: The owners have left. When Tom tries to get in the moving car, he ends up with a bulldog and ties up his ears so he cannot see. Tom runs into the house for safety and stays there for the night. The next day, Tom notices that the house is being destroyed by a demolition crew. He manages to escape but realizes he couldn't just leave Jerry goes back and saves him. The two manage to survive, but now they're homeless. Then they meet a dog named Puggsy and his friend Frankie Da Flea that tries to teach Tom and Jerry to be friends. At this point, something changes in the world of Tom and Jerry. They both start to talk! Tom and Jerry then meet an eight-year old girl named Robyn Starling, whose mother died of pneumonia when she was a baby and is left behind with her horrid and evil guardian Aunt Figg when her dad goes away to Tibet. Robyn runs away after her locket is thrown out the window and that's how she began to run. Jerry said to her that if she runs, her things won't be with her but Robyn said to them that Aunt Figg may seem sweet but "she's mean, real mean". Cut to Aunt Figg crying in the house, scared of losing Robyn. With the help of her evil lawyer, Lickboot and her overweight dachshund, Ferdinand, make a reward of $1,000,000 for the return of Robyn, who they wish to sell for a ransom, engulfed by love of money. Robyn is recaptured, but manages to escape yet again, after Tom and Jerry are kidnapped by Dr. Applecheek and are sent to a city pound where animals are abused, when everyone is now after Robyn for the money.

Yup, you read right, Tom and Jerry talk. Now granted they had a few lines throughout the show, but they were just every once in a while, every GREAT ONCE IN A WHILE. It was just weird having them talk throughout the film, especially with those voices, again, I know that the film was made in the early 90's, but this just wasn't working. The story is too lame and cheesy, it concentrated more on the girl vs. the actual title characters. While it may not be the most horrible movie of all time, it's still just a shame that two adored characters were destroyed within 87 minutes. If you were or are a fan of the original Tom and Jerry show like I am, please stay away, trust your judgment like I should have. If you're not a fan or haven't seen Tom and Jerry, only if you're a child, you might enjoy the movie, note the word might.

And the award for Worst Animated Film EVER goes to...

Author: Donald_McKinney from Carlisle, England
10 September 2006

Tom and Jerry: The Movie (1992) Whoever green-lit this piece of celluloid toilet paper should be hung and quartered. It probably seemed like a good idea, (much emphasis on 'seemed' there), however the makers seemed to have missed the point entirely of what Tom and Jerry is all about, I'll break it down for you, first off, they talk, if they ever talked to each other in the animated shorts, it would either be as a joke or to convey a scene or maybe sing, but here, they talk. It kills the movie, Chaplin's little tramp never talked, even after sound came into cinema, he was still admired by all. Remember, silence is golden, Tom and Jerry must NEVER talk.

Also, the overall sentimentality kills the film, they team up with a young girl who is living with her evil aunt. The film could have been a knockabout romp from start to finish, but no!! They added a few uninteresting characters, a few slushy songs, (Henry Mancini, shame on you!!) One of the reasons for the sentimentality in the first place, is that Tom & Jerry make FRIENDS!! No, no, no!! The reason the original shorts were so funny and entertaining in the first place was because they fought all the time. Making them into friends goes against what the shorts were about!! This sort of departure doesn't work for two cartoon characters who were all about fighting, PLUS it happened before in 1975, when a TV Series called The Tom & Jerry Show, where they were friends, (apparantly to comply with TV rules on violence!! ) It's never been repeated since, and has been quickly forgotten.

Don't waste your time with this film, stick with the original animated shorts, that's how they should be remembered. But, even they are going out of vogue, because references to smoking are being edited out. (OK, smoking not right, but excessive violence is??)

Tom and Jerry TALK!!

Author: anxietyresister from United Kingdom
15 November 2005

There are three things that must be obeyed in life:

a) The Pope must be Catholic

b) British summers must get shorter and wetter every year

c) Tom and Jerry must never be allowed to speak.

See? This film has only gone and broken one of the sacred rules. They don't just have any voices either.. Jerry sounds like a girl, and Tom has a very fake New York accent!! And what's worse, they're allowed to sing!! Songs so dreadful that even Westlife would have turned them down!! Believe me, you haven't lived till you've seen Tom and Jerry dueting on a sappy ballad about what friends are for. It reminds me of that Simpsons episode where Marge forced TV execs to tone down the Itchy & Scratchy cartoon for fear that children were emulating the violence. That of course, that a hilarious satire about the dangers of over-censorship. This sadly, isn't. However, it is a great advert against taking a classic show, expanding it beyond it's natural length and tinkering with the story just to make a lousy movie. Dukes Of Hazard and Bewitched, are you taking notes?

What else is there to add? Shall I talk about the shoddy animation? Perhaps the paint-by-numbers plot? Or the fascinating cast of supporting characters, which include a pup and his performing, wisecracking flea, another dog who wears a baseball cap and rides a skateboard everywhere, or the schizophrenic carnival guy with the puppet who has a mind of its own? To be honest, you can keep them. I'm more than happy with my complete set of Tom and Jerry shorts on DVD, where they provide ample amusement for a five minute period. This film doesn't even give you that in its whole hour and a half running time. So, avoid this unnecessary slur on the great duo's name, and stick with THE REAL THING. And no, I don't mean Coke.. 3/10

Tom and Jerry: The Movie

Author: Jackson Booth-Millard from United Kingdom
16 September 2005

They were and still are two of the most watched cartoon characters in their animated shorts, winning seven Academy Awards. But what is this!? Surely Tom the cat and Jerry the mouse deserved more respect than this. The film should have been just loads of new and brilliant moments where they are fighting, chasing and ruining everything, not a stupid story focusing more on the new characters. Basically Tom (voiced by Richard Kind) and Jerry (voiced by Dana Hill) are homeless after the owner leaves them behind, and on the streets they meet new friend Robin Starling (Anndi McAfee) the orphan, on the run from her evil Aunt Pristine Figg (Charlotte Rae). When they escape again, finding out that Robin's father is alive, they set out on a journey to find him. Also starring Tony Jay as Lickboot, Henry Gibson as Doctor Applecheek and Jackass: The Movie's Rip Taylor as Captain Kiddie. The animation looks similar to the Fred Quimby days, and Tom and Jerry speaking might be okay, but the songs are naff, the story they are getting involved in is predictable, it will only be entertaining for the younger audience members. Adequate!

Ugghhh!!

Author: Erik Price from France
14 February 2013

Words alone cannot express my reaction to this film when I saw it, so to have an appropriate image of it, watch the Nostalgia Critic's response to the landmark of this film's *epic* failure: Tom and Jerry effing TALK (and sing about how they hate chasing each other and are actually friends)!!!!!! They went and turned a cartoon sensation into a cinema abomination. There we are, no more to it. That's the short version of what I think of this. Poor Tom and Jerry. It's as if the movie murdered them.

Oh, and recite the analysis of the climactic chase scene...*without* going completely insane!

A once great cartoon classic ruined by filmmakers

Author: gavin-thelordofthefu-48-460297 from United States
27 September 2011

Tom and Jerry was by far one of the greatest cartoon classics ever made. With amazing sound effects, those silent cartoon characters made me laugh throughout the rest of the episodes they were in.

When I heard that Hollywood made a film about it that I've recently seen in the 1990s, my family got a DVD of it and I watched, betting that it was gonna be good.

Boy was I wrong.

After viewing it, I was so disgusted at how this movie ruined a once great cartoon classic by pointing a few things that were wrong.

The story has nothing to do with Tom and Jerry, the characters were boring (I mean, Aunt Figg?! Dr. Applecheek?! Lickboot?! Is it me or did the writers were high when they've come up with that stuff?), and the songs were forgettable (except the pop songs in the ending credits).

The only thing that I kind of liked about this movie was the animation and voice acting. That's it.

Tom and Jerry is, without a freaking doubt, one of the worst animated films I have ever seen. Avoid it at all costs like a plague unless you have kids.

one out of five stars

As a stand-alone title, it's okay.

Author: Neil Dunsmore from Canada
7 August 2009

Okay, lots of people hate this movie because it goes against just about everything Tom and Jerry stands for. There's a lack of random fighting, the two enjoy each-other's company WAY too much and the plot really has nothing to do with Tom and Jerry in the slightest.

However, does it stand out on its own? If this didn't have "Tom and Jerry" in the title and starred a different cat and mouse duo, would people like it better? As a matter of fact, it could. It's a typical everyday family film in the eyes of one who isn't a hardcore Tom and Jerry fanatic. The songs aren't quite as bad as people say they are, though cheesy nonetheless, and the jokes feel a little dry if you've been watching Tom and Jerry all your life, but it passes.

The plot's alright, but nothing special. It's mostly about a little girl trying to find her father while also trying to escape from a bunch of people who want her for money, and for some odd reason, Tom and Jerry just HAPPEN to get involved. You all saw it coming, right? Again, for the songs, even the villain songs aren't really anything special. However, they're not nearly as bad as people say they are. I actually like the song "Friends to the end" even if it was the song that turned Tom and Jerry into... *Cough* "Really good friends" and in the Nostalgia Critic's eyes "Destroyed them". However, they're not the kinds of songs you want to listen to all the time. If you did, you'd probably hate them.

All in all, as a Tom and Jerry film, it fails. It has little to no relevance to the old cartoons and didn't even seem to be about them more than half the time. However, as a stand-alone title, it's kind of like Final Fantasy: Spirits Within. If you can ignore the fact that it's supposed to be Tom and Jerry, you can at least enjoy it to some extent. Not a great film, but a good one. C+

Tom and Jerry's first feature outing is largely underwhelming; a footnote in an otherwise dynamic career.

Author: Son_of_Maltin from Canada
7 May 2014

How do you adapt two animated characters from 7-8 minute shorts into an 84 minute movie? There is never an easy solution. Typically it's easier to construct a narrative to entertain and occupy an audience's attention for a few minutes, but when the running time is much longer so must the narrative be. The importance when adapting short film characters for feature films is to keep the original spirit of the characterizations intact, while not forcing the characters far out of their element and having them deviate widely from the original source material. In other words Tom and Jerry: The Movie should not have been the talky, musical buddy-comedy it became. I can understand how the novelty of watching a cat and mouse fight for 84 minutes would eventually wear off; even watching several hours' worth of Tom and Jerry cartoons can eventually become routine, even if they are highly entertaining. This Film Roman production however made too many missteps in an attempt to be different, and instead became an underwhelming experience.

Tom and Jerry: The Movie marked the cat and mouse's first and only theatrically released film; made at a time when American traditional animation was rebounding from stagnation, experiencing a classical revival that lasted for most of the 1990s. Originally created for MGM theatrical shorts in the 1940s by William Hannah and Joseph Barbera, they have since gone through multiple iterations with other animation directors and studios, and spawned several spin-off shows and direct-to-DVD movies. Tom and Jerry typically shared a love/hate relationship; Tom would try to destroy Jerry, while Jerry would try and outwit (while painfully humiliating) Tom, though there were some situations where they would help each other if both could benefit from teamwork. What could have been a big hit in 1993 was instead soon forgotten. The movie opened at #14 at the U.S box office, was commercially unsuccessful and mostly a critical failure. Although the movie has some highlights with its 2D art and music score by Henry Mancini, they are largely overshadowed by poor choices in the script and direction, along with many unnecessary and unmemorable songs.

Tom and Jerry begin their movie in a suburban home not unlike the ones where they would wreck havoc in the original shorts. This time however, their antics cause their owners to accidentally forget them during their move to a new home. A wrecking ball demolishes the house and Tom and Jerry find themselves wandering the streets. Soon they encounter a dog and flea who are pals, and this is where the film introduces its first big mistake: giving Tom and Jerry voices.

Tom and Jerry were originally pantomimes. Up until this movie they had faithfully remained so, even when placed in situations where other characters were communicating with dialogue. Although some of the MGM shorts had Tom talking (though sparingly) in an exaggerated voice, the majority of the acting was done non-verbally, except with the occasional screams of pain emanating from Tom. Screenwriter Dennis Marks had previously worked on the series Tom and Jerry Kids (1990) which primarily led him to work on this movie, and it's unclear whether he or director Phil Roman decided to have Tom and Jerry talk. It's not that Richard Kind and Dana Hill's voice performances are bad, they just don't suit the characters, and giving the title characters voices significantly reduces their non-verbal dramatics. The musical numbers (for which virtually every character has one) further stretches the story which is too thin to last 84 minutes.

The biggest problem however comes later, when the movie introduces Tom and Jerry to a girl named Robyn Starling, and a plot that seems heavily inspired by Disney's The Rescuers. By this point Tom and Jerry are now friends thanks to earlier musical numbers, as they are mostly reduced to supporting roles for what unfolds as Robyn's movie. Robyn has run away from her nasty guardian Aunt Figg, who is keeping her as insurance, hoping that her adventuring father doesn't return from an accident in Tibet, so she and her lawyer Lickboot can keep squandering the Starling fortune. Tom and Jerry encounter Aunt Figg's dog, Ferdinand, whose excessive weight forces him to wheel about on a skateboard. This leads to mayhem in the kitchen, and one of the few times Tom and Jerry act like their natural selves. Their destruction leads to their incarceration with a veterinarian who is more of a prison warden than physician, and to a somewhat wasted cameo by another MGM character, that only older, astute animation enthusiasts would have recognized in the movie's initial run, and many kids today probably wouldn't identify him either. Robyn discovers her Aunt's deception and runs away again, and later winds up with a nautically-centric amusement park owner, Captain Kiddie, and his parrot puppet Squawk.

With all these supporting characters it's upsetting that none of them are more than mildly interesting, even with the capable voice performers behind them. Their development and motivations are quite shallow, especially the adult humans who are eventually driven by greed once a reward is offered for Robyn Starling's return. Even the quirky but friendly Captain Kiddie with his song about world travel, devolves into a greedy opportunist along with the rest. Once the main plot resolves itself, Tom and Jerry return to their traditional antics, and you wonder why they couldn't have been more like themselves in a shorter running time (as they later would be in direct-to-DVD movies). Instead they were made into supporting characters in their self titled movie, to support a musical buddy comedy, with a plot too reminiscent of a better developed plot from an older Disney title.

Tom and Jerry: The Movie has not affected the cat and mouse duo in the long run however, as their continued success on DVD and television has left the 1992 movie as more of a footnote in an otherwise dynamic career, which will likely continue for many years to come.

Despite its promising start and good drawing, "Tom and Jerry: The Movie" is an absolute thud

Author: TheUnknown837-1 from United States
27 November 2012

The surmounting lists of objections to "Tom and Jerry: The Movie" have been understandably consistent: the famous cartoon cat and mouse actually start talking, they go on good behavior, do not chase each other around with every makeshift club or projectile known, and most of the narrative consists not of what we usually get from them in a seven or eight-minute cartoon. I had some objections to the material here as well, but only on this level: the way it was done. In actuality, I am all for the idea of trying something new with these characters, even if they had been doing the same stuff for forty-some years. After all, if the movie's going to the last 90 minutes, unless the filmmakers really know what they're doing, just seeing the cat and mouse torment each other will lose its spark eventually. So I'm marginally grateful they tried something new.

The opening ten minutes of "Tom and Jerry: The Movie" effectively capture the charm of the long-running cartoon shorts, utilizing silent humor and cartoon violence to a gut-splitting max. It's also fun looking at the drawing style, reminiscent of the 1960s where everything exists without excessive detail. The houses are one or two stories, have a single tree in the yard, and surrounded by a white picket fence. And when Tom and Jerry venture into the streets, there is a wonderful, 1960s feeling in the jazz music score playing in the background.

What I did not like after this point was not the new ideas, but—and this goes back to my initial statement—the way these new ideas were executed. I do like the tone of the voices given to Tom and Jerry, with the latter being given a sort of husky, little boy tone, just as I always imagined him. I always pictured Jerry as a little kid and Tom as sort of a twenty-something who never quite grew up. And I did not mind so much that the plot unravels to become more of a "The Rescuers" remake, with the cat and mouse befriending an orphan girl wanting to escape the clutches of her domineering aunt. In fact, if Tom and Jerry had stuck with the girl, and been allowed to take center-stage more often, the idea could have worked. Instead, they end up playing second-fiddle, disappearing for obnoxiously long stretches of time, and the little girl, Robyn (though sweetly voiced by the talented Anndi McAfee) is a complete bore.

As a result, the story becomes insufferably slow starting around the thirty-minute mark.

What I could not stand at all in this movie—the one thing I thought could not work in the least bit—were the songs. I personally do not connect musical numbers with a Tom and Jerry cartoon, even if it is feature-length. But the crushing blow is just how incredibly awful these musical numbers are, and how they become progressively worse as the movie progresses. The first one, in which Tom and Jerry are unsuccessfully talked into trying to be friends, is lame and bad enough as it is. The second one, following much too closely afterward and sung by a gang of not-amusing alley cats who stop the story cold in its tracks, is even worse. The remaining count of songs, if memory serves me correct, is three or four. Each one the cognitive equivalent of sandpaper being rubbed on your scalp. Even if these songs were bland and not horrendous, they would still drag the movie to its doom because there are so many—too many. Even most musicals don't plant this many sing-a-longs in such narrow proximity to each other.

Now, in all fairness, the drawing style is beautiful. It effectively captures the spirit of the 1960s cartoons while updating it at the same time. The colors are vibrant and pretty, everything has a lot of gorgeous detail, the movements seem old-fashioned and yet contemporary at the same time—if that makes any sense to the reader; you really need to see the movie to understand (or just look at some silent clips of it, as I would recommend). The director was Phil Roman, who made his fame in the 1970s, 80s, and 90s in continuing the animated "Peanuts" cartoons after Bill Melendez decided to stop. He's got a good style, knowing how to pace shots and sequences. But it all goes back to what Pauline Kael, John Huston, Akira Kurosawa, Alfred Hitchcock, and so many other movie critics and filmmakers have said about directors and screenplays: the latter is, in so many ways, more important. The director can have as much style as he wants, but without an interesting story and some firm ground to walk on, no matter his still, the picture will probably end up collapsing. And despite its promising start and good drawing, "Tom and Jerry: The Movie" is an absolute thud.

am i watching the right movie?

Author: andreaseklund from france
4 May 2013

so the movie starts with unfunny slapstick humor, and as the movie goes on for the first ten minutes you are like: OK, not as funny as the original but it doesn't seem to get worse. and then it came: "i' tom""I' am Jerry" and thats when you yell WHAT! this movie hit me right in my childhood.

as for the songs, there are way too many and they aren't that good as not only do they talk, but they sing. as for the plot, it has almost nothing to do with a cat and a mouse. the plot has something to do with a girl trying to find her father. yes, this movie is bad, really bad. the jokes are not funny, the slapstick is not funny.

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]