IMDb > Psycho (1960) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Psycho

Psycho More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 92: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

A modern suspense classic and one of the most influential movies of all time.

Author: Infofreak from Perth, Australia
6 March 2003

'Psycho' is one of the most famous and talked about suspense movies ever made. In fact it has been copied, ripped off and parodied so many times it's often easy to underrate it, but every time I watch it it really works for me. No matter how many times you view it you will notice something new, some shot or bit of business that impresses. Of course there's hardly a movie fan on the planet who doesn't know the major twists in the plot (like the original 'Planet Of The Apes' even people who have never seen it know what's going to happen), but that doesn't really matter, there's more than enough going on here to enjoy. Hitchcock's direction is masterful, and the movie has been hugely influential. Not just obvious films like William Castle's 'Homicidal' or Brian De Palma's 'Sisters' (and let's not even mention Gus Van Sant's misguided remake of some years back!), but Italian giallo and the whole slasher sub-genre wouldn't be the same without 'Psycho'. Even film makers outside the horror/suspense field have been influenced by it, Quentin Tarantino for example. One very famous shot in 'Psycho' is deliberately quoted in 'Pulp Fiction'. The cast of 'Psycho' are all very good, particularly Janet Leigh ('Touch Of Evil') and Vera Miles ('The Searchers') as the Crane sisters, and Martin Balsam ('Cape Fear') as Detective Arbogast. The real stand out performance is by the late Anthony Perkins ('The Trial') as Norman Bates. He is absolutely superb and surely deserved an Oscar. 'Psycho' is one of THE great American movies and should be watched and enjoyed by any movie fan. Hitchcock made many outstanding films, but 'Psycho' must rank with the best of them. A classic movie that has stood the test of time, I don't doubt that it will influence generations of film makers to come.

Psycho, The truest classic and one of the best movies of all!

Author: Movie Nuttball from U.S.A.
6 September 2002

Psycho, A true classic, is the classic of all classic movies in my opinion. The music is simple but yet some of the best ever composed! The acting and sets and everything else couldn't be any better and I love the end!

The Ultimate Psycho

Author: Chrysanthepop from Fraggle Rock
4 March 2009

Been meaning to watch this reputed 'masterpiece' for years and finally I got hold of it. Is it as good as everyone says? The thing is, nothing can describe the experience. Even though I have watched almost countless psychological thrillers over the years, nothing really compares to 'Psycho'. One would have to experience the film in order to find out the answer to the aforementioned question. Luckily, I haven't watched the remake which is said to be a scene by scene copy.

An atmosphere of darkness is set right from the beginning where one witnesses Sam and Marion who have just made love in a hotel room. Nothing particularly happens in that scene but there seems to be a lingering doom that will follow one of the characters soon. The black and white seems to work towards the film's benefit and stress on the chilling atmosphere. The closeup shots are especially effective. For example, notice the policeman wearing the sunglasses looking as though wearing a cold unsympathetic expression that creeps out Marion.

All the actors do a great job in that department. John Gavin is quite dashing as Sam Loomis. Janet Leigh is sensual and sophisticated. Vera Miles is terrific as Marion's concerned sister. Martin Balsam too leaves a mark and Anthony Perkins immortalizes Norman Bates.

The dialogues are clever and the editing is sharp. The twists are great as they 'make sense' with the story. Although I saw the ending coming, it fits well with everything. Hitchcock's film is very much an atmospheric piece and he has succeeded greatly in drawing the desired response from the viewer (even by forbidding cinema halls to not allow customers who arrived late). The sense of chill looms over, especially after viewing the final scene.

A boy's best friend is his mother!

Author: Girish Winchester from Bangalore
3 April 2010

Marion Crane steals $40,000 from her employer's client, and subsequently encounters a young motel proprietor, Norman Bates who has spent too long under the domination of his mother.

Janet Leigh as Marion Crane was riveting to watch. She performs realistically and she is beautiful and radiant. The story of a young woman in love, who gets her hand on some money and wants to be better off in life with her lover. The scenes with her and the cop were absolutely thrilling. I was expecting the cop to search her bag and bring her to justice. The shower scene in the hotel room is a classic. How many films we know have tried to copy it!! And the scene which was shot from her eye was haunting.

Anthony Perkins as Norman Bates was absolutely wonderful and terrifying in the end. He made me care for his character who was under his mother's subjugation and did what any son who loves his mother would do (atleast, to him it was true. I would have been scared out of my mind).

Also, the little things in the movie do count. Milton Arbogast as the private detective, I wanted him to leave Bates alone as Norman was such an understandable character. Hitchcock delivers horror in a movie which has no gore. I never thought this old movie could be this awesome. I mean, the score was chilling and its still used today with all kinds of variations. This is the one of the films which spawned every horror filmmaker out there to follow the footsteps of Hitchcock and be as great as him (unfortunately, there are only a few).

Words don't do justice to this movie. Hitchcock does not disappoint by leaving out his trademark dark humor. He is brilliant by making the climax so scary. I really didn't see the ending coming. It was sheer brilliance on the part of Hitchcock. We still got films that have the same theme recycled over and over again. But, nothing is as good as the original. As they say, "old is gold" (I never thought I would say that). Hitchcock's decision to make this in black and white is impressive as it is more scary without the colours.

Do yourselves a favour and make your kids watch this film before they can get brainwashed into thinking today's horror films are scary. The smile at the end by Norman Bates (I'm so awestruck and scared by it) - so creepy. I loved it..!!

I promise to use Tilex!!!

Author: dataconflossmoor from United States
10 December 2007

We all know what is synonymous with this movie, the famous shower scene!! In addition to all of the macabre details that this film so brilliantly portrays, "Psycho" brought on an introductory revelation to the American movie viewer about schizophrenia!! If you have seen this movie, I am not sure if you remember seeing Alfred Hitchcock in it! One of the office scenes he was standing outside!! It is a fact that in all of Alfred Hitchcock's movies that he made a cameo appearance in each and every one of them!! This gave the movie a little bit of a mystique about the direction it was going in!! A director feels that he must have a gimmick to acquire a popularity with the movie audience!! The film "Psycho" evokes an eerie genre to the entire make-up of the movie!! Personal problems become a potpourri of predicaments with all of the major characters in the film, Remaining impervious to the thought patterns of a psychotic serial killer gives way to the potential of artistic creativity!! The complexity of emotions in this movie wound up captivating the American public!! Any enormously classic scene in a film, makes this film a masterpiece of the American cinema!! "Psycho" "North By Northwest" and "The Birds" all had classic scenes which endeared millions to these three Hitchcock films!! 1960 was a year for change in America on so many dimensional playing fields... Start with the fact that that was the year that I was born, I do not think that the world was quite ready for me!! I still have my doubts about that one actually!!! 1960 was the year "Psycho" made it's debut, and it is considered by virtually every movie expert to be one of the greatest films ever made!! I concur mostly due to the fact that many new concepts that this movie delved into were executed flawlessly!! A PERFECT TEN!!!!!

Saw it in 1960

Author: kalina2 from United States
28 April 2006

I saw this movie in a packed house in 1960 without any knowledge of the plot--and judging by the reaction of the audience when the shower scene occurred, no one else had knowledge either.

When the scene began developing, there were gasps. When the curtain few open there were screams, and they continued during the stabbing. A state of fright literally hung over the theater. When Ms. Leigh slid down slowly, dying, people were still gasping and crying out. They were there! They had witnessed a real murder! Nothing in any previous movie had prepared the audience for this kind of shock.

It was years before I could take a shower and not re-experience that state of fright again.

Maybe you had to be there to understand this.

A pantheon of praise.

Author: John Alexander (noriplib@rmplc.co.uk) from Ipswich, England.
8 October 1998

Psycho is a timeless classic. I am teaching it to a class of sixteen year old students and they love it. Even though horror films these days may have more immediate impact, my students have said that the film lingers long in the memory afterwards. It has made an impression on them and I think that that is the highest compliment that can be paid to this great film.

The most brilliant movie I've ever seen!!

Author: Superspy
20 September 1998

I just saw Psycho for the first time about 3 weeks ago....and I'm still in awe. Alfred Hitchcock is the greatest film-maker of all time. Every shot in that movie, couldn't have been done better. I was amazed that I hadn't heard about the movie...well, what happens in it, in all my 20 years :) And I'm so glad that I never heard anything....cause it was so fun to watch :) Anthony Perkins, IS Norman Bates. No one could have picked a better man for the role. He's just so darn cute :) It is a WONDERFUL movie...and beautifully done. Hitchcock is a master in his trade :)

A classic to be seen by all!

Author: Prolox from Canada
8 March 2005

This is it, this is the one that's been emulated in so many films. This is the all time classic who's depiction of a girl stabbed in a shower, it's musical score & cross dressing killer has made it one of the most successful popular films of all time. ANTHONY PERKINS is wonderful as NORMAN BATES, a man who lives up in the hills in an old house with his mother. When a female thief takes up shelter in one of his hotel rooms, she winds up murdered. Her sister alerted to the fact that her sister is missing, seeks the help of a private detective, when he to winds up missing at that same hotel, she seeks the help of her sisters secret lover to figure out what's going on. Filled with lots of suspense, a couple of knife murders & great direction & acting, not to mention a real neat twist ending which makes Psycho a must see for all fans of horror & suspense thrillers!. Followed by a shot for shot remake in 1998, a made for TV spin off called BATES MOTEL & three sequels, starting with the entertaining PSYCHO II

**** (stars)

Simply The Best!

Author: anonymous from The Bates Motel, Cabin One
30 December 1998

What more can be said about "PSYCHO",Alfred Hitchcock's 1960 classic that spawned an entire genre...the slasher film. To prove that this masterpiece truly stands the test of time,I recommended it to two of the 7th grade students that I teach (who have been subjected to the whole "Halloween-Friday The 13th-Nightmare On Elm Street-Scream" recycling bin)...and they loved it! The black-and-white cinematography is gorgeous,and the legendary musical score by Bernard Herrmann has never been matched (with John Carpenter's creepy "Halloween" score as a worthy runner-up). The 1998 remake is a pointless,cheap,waste of time (as it wastes the enormous,combined talents of Vince Vaughn,Anne Heche,Julianne Moore,William H.Macy,Philip Baker Hall and Robert Forster). As a movie buff and horror film addict,I cannot recommend "PSYCHO" enough...it is the definitive slasher film,and in my opinion,the best horror film ever! I'm not going to waste any time summarizing the now-familiar plot. Let's just say that no one twitched like the late,great Anthony Perkins,and the only actress to match Janet Leigh's shower scream is her daughter Jamie Lee Curtis of "Halloween" fame. **** A+ (10/10)