IMDb > The Grapes of Wrath (1940) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Grapes of Wrath More at IMDbPro »

Page 13 of 29: [Prev][8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [Next]

Author: firstchance from United States
12 October 2011

I appreciate the movie for what it is about, but I really did not enjoy it. I found myself wanting more, maybe some action. I was bored most of the time and it seemed to lull. It could be because the issues they were dealing with don't relate with my life. It put their hardships into reality and I greatly respect the characters and what they had to go through. I don't think I would survive such an event in my life. I just couldn't get past the film. In some of the scenes the sounds were echo like and this bothered me. I did find some of the scenes interesting in retrospect. I like the scene where the children thought they broke the toilet and ran from the owner. I also like the concept of what tom said to his mother. That he was part of one big soul verses just his own. I thought it was a good concept and the actors did a nice job, but the movie just wasn't my cup of tea.

A really well made film.

Author: a-ferrera from United States
12 October 2011

This movie surprised me, I thought it would have been a lot worse than it ended up being. The writing in this movie was overall really good, with many strong monologues. I think the editing in this movie was also done really great, the pacing never got boring for me. The lighting was pretty good, although it did get maybe a little too dark at times during some of the last scenes.

But my favorite thing about this movie is Henry Fonda. This is my first time seeing a movie starring him and I must say that I am really impressed. He seems like an actor that could take on any role and be really good in it.

Grapes of Wrath Review

Author: GoodBen from United States
11 October 2011

The Grapes of Wrath gives us a look into what life was like for the displaced farm families and the migrant workers during the Great Depression. It does this by following the struggles of the Joad family, Midwesterners who lost their farm, as they try to make it to California and a better life. Overall, I found this film to be enjoyable in that it held my interest and made me feel like I was learning about an important piece of American history that's often forgotten. One positive aspect of the movie was the acting of Henry Fonda as Tom Joad, a young farmer, and John Carradine as Tom Casy a former preacher. I was also struck by the perseverance and hopefulness of the Joad family. Even though one misfortune after another happens to them, they never give up hope. There seems to be a message here about how people can come out okay no matter how bad their situation is if they keep trying. On a less positive note, some of the travel scenes were a bit boring and could have been shortened.

Surprisingly wasn't entertained

Author: Piratezombie7 from United States
11 October 2011

I know this movie is supposed to be one of the greatest movies of all time, and be timeless, but I just don't feel it. I will admit the acting is superb on all fronts, especially Tom Jode who's performance could bring a more sentimental man to tears. I feel horrible in saying this but I really was almost annoyed by the complaining and sunken in feeling through out the movie, very depressing. It may just be my mood at the time but I can't seem to get behind the cause of the characters no matter what. I wish I could but I guess the wealth of other great emotion films out there have made me numb to a person who isn't real, who never faced the problems in the movie.

grapes of wrath

Author: StaticScreen from United States
11 October 2011

1930's. Great Depression. Dust Bowl. Unemployment. Red Scares. The Grapes of Wrath follow the story of Tom Joad and his family to California to find jobs, after their farmland is taken when they can't pay loans after the Dust Bowl. I found this to be a good movie, and it was very entertaining. It's themes also seem relevant now due to unemployment rates climbing nowadays. I found the acting to be well done as well as camera work and all, but the ending left me a little bit confused. The movie starts off about a poor family looking for work, but then Tom has to be on the run for the rest of the movie from corrupt policemen who think he's a rebel commie. The overall message to it seems a bit scattered and almost supporting communism, in a way. At least, in the end things begin to look up for the Joads (especially Tom) and it leaves on a positive note. Maybe I should read the book instead. Oh well, it was still more enjoyable than a lot of movies I've seen.

"I smell spare ribs. Somebody's been eatin' spare ribs. How come I ain't got none?"

Author: ARodino from United States
10 October 2011

"The Grapes of Wrath" probably could of been advertised as a documentary, had it not been for its narrative-style story-telling. The historical context of the movie's setting, characters, and conflict makes it seem like a genuine account of a farming family surviving after the Great Depression. At first, you're not sure if this will be a good movie, mostly because of the behaviors of Charley Grapewin and Zeffie Tilbury's characters, who come off as some sort of senile comic relief pair. Later on, however, you realize that the movie is shaped around the struggle this family encounters as they go West. Henry Fonda makes for an incredible lead role, mostly because of the fact that he's a criminal and the last thing you'd expect for him to act like a generic "momma's boy." It's his rebelliousness that also makes this character likable, seeing how we could of acted the same way if we were in his shoes. The dialogue is memorable, the shadows and sound effects really draw in the atmosphere of West, and the final speech(es) of the film tie everything together spectacularly. After watching this film, there's a cleansing feeling you get from seeing this film, as if all the worries of the world momentarily drained out in the past two hours.

Author: dmdmikrut74 from United States
7 October 2011

The movie was a very good representation of what it was like during the Great Depression. It held my interest and kept me wondering what was going to happen to the characters next. The little girls were funny and kept everyone's spirits high when they would get excited over the simplest things. The Grandfather was funny because he was old and wanted to do things his way and not leave. The night scenes were done again very well especially when in the creek. In the end when Tom was leaving was a little dragged out and when the family made it into California was a little boring and drawn out again. But all in all it was a very good movie and i would recommend it to anyone who has or hasn't read the novel.

Possibly John Ford's greatest film

Author: sme_no_densetsu from Canada
27 July 2011

When you watch the opening credits of "The Grapes of Wrath" you'll see a veritable parade of legendary names in multiple areas of production: Fonda, Steinbeck, Toland, Newman, Ford. Living up to a lineup like that is a tall order but this film manages it.

For those unfamiliar with Steinbeck's novel, the story concerns a family of depression era farmers who are forced off their land in Oklahoma. They resolve to travel to California in order to seek work but are continually beset with hardships as their hopes are dashed time and again. The screenplay, adapted by Nunally Johnson, was rewarded with an Oscar nomination.

The cast features Henry Fonda in one of his most iconic roles, that of recently paroled Tom Joad. He instills his character with a keen sense of justice, matched with the will to fight back when driven to do so. He was nominated for an Oscar but lost out to James Stewart for his performance in "The Philadelphia Story". I expect that was mainly due to Stewart losing out the year before for "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington". Jane Darwell, on the other hand, saw her Oscar nomination turn into a win. As Ma Joad, she was an effective counterpoint to Fonda's character. A couple of other standouts in support were John Carradine as a disillusioned former preacher and John Qualen in a small role.

In terms of technique, the film is practically flawless. John Ford's direction is impeccable and the Gregg Toland cinematography is excellent. Ford took home an Oscar for his work but, strangely, Toland wasn't even nominated. For that matter, Alfred Newman's stirring score wasn't nominated either (perhaps because it's mostly based on the song "Red River Valley").

I haven't read the novel but I know that the storyline of the film deviates from the novel somewhat, particularly when it comes to the ending. Ultimately, though, the movie's grueling enough already; I can't imagine it ending as miserably as the novel supposedly does.

I haven't seen Hitchcock's "Rebecca", either, so I can't say whether or not this movie deserved the Oscar for best picture, though it certainly would have been a worthy choice. Simply put, "The Grapes of Wrath" is an essential American film.

Real and honest people

Author: Petri Pelkonen (petri_pelkonen@hotmail.com) from Finland
20 June 2011

It's the 1930's, time of the Great Depression.Tom Joad returns back home to Oklahoma, after doing time in prison.But he finds out he has no home.He finds his family, who tell them what has happened.They have lost their farm, and they are heading to California in search of the better life.The Grapes of Wrath (1940) is directed by John Ford, who got an Oscar from his work.The producers are Darryl F. Zanuck and Nunnally Johnson, the latter being responsible also for the screenplay.It's based on John Steinbeck's 1939 novel, which I read just before seeing this movie.The movie has taken some liberties on the story, so ít doesn't follow the book step by step.The cast is pretty amazing.Henry Fonda portrays Tom Joad brilliantly.Jane Darwell got an Oscar she deserved playing Ma Joad.Russell Simpson plays Pa Joad's role.John Carradine is amazing as the former preacher Casy.Charlie Grapewin plays Grandpa while Zeffie Tilbury is Grandma.Dorris Bowdon portrays Rose of Sharon.O.Z. Whitehead is Al.Frank Sully is Noah.Frank Darien plays Uncle John.Darryl Hickman is Winfield and Shirley Mills is Ruth Joad.John Qualen plays the part of Muley.Eddie Quillan is Connie.Ward Bond is seen as Policeman.What this movie shows us is some real and honest people.You can't hate these people.No, you care for these people, hope for the best to come in their way.But sometimes reality hits too hard on your face.

Dust Bowl Okies Struggle in California

Author: Chris McAfee from United States
3 June 2011

Grapes of Wrath

ROUGH DRAFT

Novel published April 1939, shooting for the film began October 4, and the film was released_____. Darryl F. Zanuck Grapes of Wrath came from the heart, Steinbeck felt it and wrote it quickly. Greg Toland shot it before he went on to work on Citizen Kane. Creates the mood of Dorothea Lang and WPA.

John Carradine G of W nominated for 7 Oscars, won Ford best director and Jane Darwell for supporting actress. Lost to Rebecca A touching attempt by film industry to honor years of hardship and sacrifice. Tom Joad is timeless and true and the film is a key warning of how society may make outlaws out of its best material.