Reviews

The Book Was Much Better
11 September 2019
I know they always say that, that movies based on novels are not as good as their source material. And usually I find that to be true, even of good films. A film is good, but the book was better. It makes sense. But here, what does not make sense is the making of this film.

The book of the same name was great and fresh and unique, told in a clever punchy way in the seldom-seen second person. It was wonderful and fun. But the film seems to take away all that was good about the book and leaves us with only the empty shell of the original story, and even that they made worse than they could have. It's a waste of time, really. Do not recommend.
Great WWII Movie
7 September 2019
EMPIRE OF THE SUN gives us a unique view of WWII that we don't normally get a chance to see. It's a totally different perspective that is totally different from the other WWII films. It's from the point of view of a young boy living in a certain part of the world whose life is affected by the war.

The acting, storyline, and action are great. It's completely intriguing from start to finish. Very well done. Highly recommend.
Samurai Cop (1991)
Stupid Fun
19 August 2019
I cannot in good conscience give this movie high marks. The acting is uneven and over-the-top. There were a lot of decisions that the filmmakers made with this one that make you wonder what the heck they were thinking.

That being said, this movie is pure fun. It's so bad it's good, but the bad parts never make you groan or want to turn it off, which I feel is unique about this film. Even among other so-bad-it-was-good movies, there are always parts that feel utterly unwatchable. But here, the bad bits just make you laugh harder every time. Sure you have to be in the mood for this movie, but when you are it is non-stop entertainment. Recommend for those who love the very corny stuff.
Not As Good As the Original
9 August 2019
I enjoyed the original TREMORS film very much. This one is not as good, but it's still not bad. The story is a little worse, production values a little worse, and the jokes aren't quite as good.

But the action is still intense. And the acting is good and it still has the same spirit as the original. It has some of the same characters but some different. No Kevin Bacon in this one, as the budget wasn't there for him I guess, so take from that what you will. Overall not as good as the first, but still worth a watch. Recommend to fans of the original.
Tremors (1990)
Great Monster Movie
27 July 2019
I'm not a big fan of the genre in general, but this one is great. They really showed just what they can do with the monster flick if they get some good actors and a good script. The old classics were always so corny, and maybe a little charming for that reason I admit. But this has all the charm of those classics and more.

It's got great acting and a great script. And the practical effects, the monsters, the suspense, and the camerawork are all great. The film has great pacing and a great tone, not too serious but just enough so. There are some good jokes and some great lines. Recommend.
A Smart Horror Film
19 July 2019
This is not your typical cheesy horror flick by any means. It is the opposite of that. It is very smart and well-thought out, not only in terms of the writing but also the directing and the acting.

It is not just a movie for horror fans, though horror fans will enjoy it. This is the type of movie that everyone will enjoy, although some more than others. Recommend.
A Visceral Experience
28 June 2019
Some will love it, some will hate it. For most, this film will not be well understood, nor appreciated. But there's something there, deep below the surface.

It's an experience, that's for sure. I think I'd have to go back and watch it again in order to even begin to grasp it. And sure it's flawed, both in its inaccessibility and in other ways. I feel the filmmakers didn't quite pull it off as they'd intended, but it can still be powerful to those who let it. Recommend for those wanting something a little bit deeper.
A Different Kind Of Horror Film
16 June 2019
On the surface, this film feels like the same kind of overdone found footage horror film that we've seen over and over again for the last twenty years or so. But once you get into it, you'll realize that it's something else entirely.

It has its flaws, and it's not for everyone. But there is a certain audience that will really enjoy this one. It's worth checking out. Recommend for horror fans.
Interesting, Although Over-Hyped
15 June 2019
BIRDMAN is a good film. I like the story, the acting, and the execution. But it's not all it was made out to be. When this film came out people acted like it was the best thing ever. It is not. But it's still good.

It's not making it onto any of my lists of top films, but that doesn't mean I didn't like it. It's good fun. Michael Keaton delivers a very fun and talented performance. It feels a bit too long at certain times, and gimmicky, but it's still worth a watch. Recommend.
Starts Out Promising But Disappoints
15 June 2019
A GIRL WALKS HOME ALONE AT NIGHT is a film with a very fun and promising premise, and of course a great title as well. The cinematography is beautiful and the acting is good as well, from what I can tell.

Unfortunately, the film becomes boring pretty quickly. It doesn't take us anywhere interesting, as we'd expected from the beginning. Ultimately, we are let down. It feels too long for the story it is trying to tell. Could have done with a re-edit, in my opinion. Do not recommend.
The Big Sleep (1946)
Film Noir Classic
12 June 2019
This is the first film I think of whenever I think of film noir. It is the quintessential film that has all the elements of the genre, including its most recognizable star.

This movies has it all, people. The plot may be hard to follow and the title may not make any sense, but if you're a fan of the genre you must see this one. Just sit back and relax and enjoy the ride. Recommend.
RED (2010)
Good Fun
11 June 2019
RED is an action comedy with an all-star cast. It's better than most others in the genre. It's certainly better than any of the EXPENDABLES films. It has a few truly great moments, some good laughs, and great action.

That being said, it still follow the same conventions of its peers. There's nothing new or groundbreaking here. The story is predictable and formulaic. But those looking for some good mindless fun will enjoy this one. Recommend to fans of the genre.
Irréversible (2002)
Brutal And Beautiful
10 June 2019
IRREVERSIBLE is the sort of movie that will be hard for a lot of viewers to watch. It's very violent. It's not violent for the duration of the film, but there are a couple of scenes that are absolutely brutal. And the makers of this film don't turn their cameras away from it. They want you to look right at it.

But it's not violent merely for the sake of violence. It's not exploitative, despite what some may say. The violence here, and it sustained nature, serve a calculated and perfectly executed purpose to both the story and its meaning. This film will stay with you for a long time after the credits have finished rolling. Highly recommend.
Good French-Canadian Film
10 June 2019
What struck my most about this film was that, just twenty minutes in, I got the feeling that I was watching a totally new kind of film. It's different from anything else. You don't notice it at first though. It follows the same sorts of conventions as other films, but at a certain moment I realized it had a completely unique tone to it which I personally had never seen before.

I don't know if it was deliberate. I don't know if it's something that's existed in other films, but it's certainly something I don't recall having ever seen myself. It almost feels like what some would call realism, but it's not. And since it's not quite that, it ends up being something completely different. It's subtle at first, but it never lets up. The wonderful camerawork only adds to it. Recommend.
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Captive State (2019)
Pretty Mediocre
10 June 2019
CAPTIVE STATE is just entertaining enough to keep you engaged for the duration. But the plot is nothing new at all, and overall it's pretty forgettable.

The acting and camerawork are decent. But the movie as a whole is just mediocre at best. You're better off picking something else. Do not recommend.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Vertigo (1958)
A Wonderful Classic!
8 June 2019
What's not to love? VERTIGO was ahead of it's time and a groundbreaking film, in terms of both storytelling and visuals. It is a masterpiece on many levels.

This film really holds up against the test of time, possibly better than any other. It has inspired countless films over the decades since its release and will undoubtedly inspire countless more to come. Highly recommend.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Red Lights (2004)
Great French Thriller
8 June 2019
RED LIGHTS makes you think it's going one way, then it does a U-turn, then goes back to where you thought it was headed, then goes somewhere else entirely. What I'm saying is, it's a wild ride!

The acting is great and the directing is great. The story is fun and keeps you guessing. Just sit back and enjoy the ride. It's fun and very realistic. Recommend.
Tell No One (2006)
Fun French Film
8 June 2019
The best thing about TELL NO ONE is the story. Some say films are all about the idea, while others say they're all about the characters or the actors or the images. But here, the first is true.

The story will always keep you guessing. It's fun and engaging and the ending is totally unpredictable. Also good are the acting and camerawork. Very fun. Recommend.
Lowlife (2017)
Not So Terrible
8 June 2019
LOWLIFE was hyped up quite a bit for supposed similarities to PULP FICTION. It's similar on the surface only, and while it's not nearly as good as the earlier film, it's still a lot of fun.

For a low budget film, the acting and production value are very good. There are two or three very fun scenes. There's some corny stuff in here too, but nothing too bad. Feels like the filmmakers had a pretty good idea of what they were doing. Recommend.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
And Very Unique Vision
8 June 2019
ITALIAN SPIDERMAN is absolutely hilarious from the first frame to that last. And it's totally original and unique. It's definitely worth checking out. Anyone and everyone should be thoroughly entertained by this gem.

Made my some Australians, it passes itself off as a garish take on Spiderman through the lens of a group of Italian filmmakers from the 1970's. It uses all the filmmaking tricks and styles of that era, sometimes to the extreme in order to get big laughs, but never lets that get in the way. It's laughs all the way. Some will enjoy it more than others, but all will have a good time. Highly recommend.
Interesting, But Nearly Unwatchable
4 June 2019
This movie is very different. It's strange and unique in a way that is completely unexpected and, well...strange and unique. And it's somewhat interesting for that reason, at least for the first twenty minutes or so. It's hard to tell where it's going. Those are good things. Well normally I find them to be good things in a film anyway. It's hard to say that there's anything good about this film, however.

The acting is very bad, as is the majority of the camerawork. It feels as if no one involved knew what they were doing and didn't even understand the basics of making a film. By the time it's all over, you get the feeling that it's not unique for any good reasons, but just because the filmmakers were so inept. Do not recommend.
Trial by Fire (I) (2018)
Has Some Good Parts, But Fails Overall
29 May 2019
The acting is very good in this film, and there are a few scenes that are really great by themselves, but the sum of the parts does not hold up quite so well.

I think the problem is that the story is one we've seen over and over again and the characters feel somewhat flat, at least to a certain degree. Do not recommend.
11 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Twins (1988)
Kinda Fun, But Mostly Dumb
24 May 2019
Arnold Schwarzenegger and Danny DeVito are at it again, this time starring as, yep you guessed it...TWINS!

There are a few good jokes and a whole lotta bad ones. The only thing truly good about this film is the comedic pairing here. And the nostalgia factor, I guess. Recommend only for fans of these actors.
Odd Film, Not Great
24 May 2019
What is this obsession we all seem to share about men getting pregnant? Be it the French, Italians, Americans, or Japanese, we as human all seem to have this same idea. An impossibility, it is the stuff of dreams, weird wacked-out movies, and cold-sweat nightmares.

Maybe it's because in this day and age women can do everything men can do, but men can never experience the miracle of birthing a child. I don't know. But I do know that this film is just okay at it's very best moments, and overall it's no more than boring and frustrating. There's no big payoff or much else good for that matter. Do not recommend.
Junior (1994)
Not Great, Only Slightly Funny
24 May 2019
The humor in this film lies in its premise. If you don't know what it's about, I won't bother spelling it out for you. But it's pretty ridiculous. The jokes themselves are hit-or-miss. Some land fine but most miss the mark.

Schwarzenegger and DeVito of course are good together, but the writing could have been better. This film never lets up with the ridiculousness, which is nice, but if only it could have been more funny. Of course it's a classic, but it's still hard to sit through if you're not in the mood. Do not recommend.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.