Reviews

Shazam! (2019)
Finallly, a fun DC movie!
17 July 2019
Yes, this is very much a family friendly movie, which is not necessarily my cup of tea usually. But the actors are doing a great job at making it incredibly fun to watch with a few great "yes!" moments. it might not be a super epic, groundbreaking movie in the superhero genre but still a very welcome addition to the pretty lackluster DC line up so far.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I thought The Room couldn't get any better yet James Franco managed to do just that
16 July 2019
First, you have to watch The Room so that you fully understand what this is all about. The Room is better watched in certain conditions, see my review on here for more details. James Franco did a great job directing this movie but he's absolutely fantastic as Tommy Wiseau. And the all-star cast doing cameos left and right only make the whole thing better. The post credit scene (at the very very end) is almost better than any MCU one! Highly recommended to anyone who appreciates The Room for what is.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not as good as expected; very inconsistent
7 July 2019
Considering the ratings and reviews my expectations were high. While the premise, the themes and even some moments are very good, the film as a whole is very inconsistent in quality, from the animation to the logic of its own universe. When you deal with time travel, you really need to make sure you have an air tight mechanism of how it works in the story. Unfortunately there are too many "but why don't they...?" type questions that arise, especially towards the end, and the story ends up making very little sense. Also this movie could have benefited from a much higher animation quality.
High Life (2018)
Very slow, very weird, "artsy" and "intellectual" in the worst ways
3 July 2019
They really tried to take this movie to places like Interstellar or Solaris went but it doesn't really work here. The premise was interesting but the pacing is all wrong, even if you can appreciate slow movies and the acting is not saving the bad writing and directing choices. All in all it was more boring than inspiring and I would not recommend it, especially not to sci-fi fans as the sci-fi elements here are not really used in any interesting way.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Entertaining and funny rom-com, even if not the most original
1 July 2019
While it is a fairly formulaic rom-com, I liked it more than I thought I would. Maybe it's the Asian connection (I"m half) or the fact I live in San Francisco, I'm not sure. Casting is really great and all the actors give great performances; the Keanu Reeves cameo had me in tears! Definitely a feel good flick that's perfect if you're feeling down.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fast-paced, entertaining and fun. Great spin on a classic character!
1 July 2019
10 years later this movie hasn't aged one bit. It's non-stop action that's fun from beginning to end, with great acting from all. Not sure why the "Sherlock Holmes purists" are so upset as I've read the books and seen many versions of the character and this version is in-line with the original material. Now as a non-native English speaker I can't really tell if Robert Downey Jr's British accent is really an issue but as far as everything else is concerned, it's probably my favorite Holmes version to date (sorry Cumberbatch fans!)
Alien³ (1992)
Reviewing the "Assembly Cut" special edition
16 June 2019
When I saw it originally it was obviously not as good as the first 2 movies and quite frankly, not that good in general. But I just watched the 30 minute longer Director's Cut (Assembly Cut) and it clearly improves it. It is still not at the level of Alien and Aliens but it is now a good movie on its own. Also as much as Alien was Ridley Scott's platform to set up the whole space horror genre and establish his style of dark sci-fi, and Aliens was James Cameron's rulebook to big action sci-fi blockbusters, Alien 3 Assembly's Cut is clearly the beginning of David Fincher's career in dark, psychological thrillers. Unlike most die hard Alien franchise fans, I actually like the fact all 3 movies are very different and were the canvas for each respective Director to hone what would become their trademark directing style.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the better rom coms out there
13 June 2019
Rom coms are my guilty pleasure and I admit most of them are not that great or even funny. This one has the right balance of humor, good acting, silliness and sappy romance. Highly recommended if you're feeling down!
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Original, well-acted, touching and odd in the best of ways
11 June 2019
I may be liking this movie more than I should because for several reasons I am identifying a bit too much to Will Ferrell's character... That being said it is still a very entertaining and touching story with an original approach. The cast's great performances is really giving life to this improbable tale that shouldn't be as interesting and entertaining as it is.
Aliens (1986)
Great example of a sequel of equal quality as the original
9 June 2019
It was a great idea to take the story and universe of the original Alien movie and give it to a completely different director to take it in an opposite direction. While the first movie defined the space sci-fi horror genre, Aliens is the classic film set up all the rules for all the sci-fi action flicks for years to follow. I just watched the Director's Cut for the first and while it makes for a very long movie, all the added scenes are welcome and don't feel out of place. I highly recommend giving it a try!
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Animatrix (2003 Video)
If you like The Matrix and anime, then you should watch this
9 June 2019
While not all 9 of the short stories in here are equal in quality, the few that are very good (A Detective Story!) make it worth watching. All 9 have very different visual styles and themes so you're sure to find something you really like anyway (again if you like anime to start with). I always thought The Matrix had such an original universe there's a lot that could be built on it and The Animatrix proved that. It shows great sequels could have been made after the movie, too bad there was never a Matrix 2 or 3 made but better no sequels than bad sequels I guess....#iLikeToLiveinDenial
Alien (1979)
Classic movie that defined the space sci-fi horror genre
9 June 2019
I've seen this movie many times before but just watched the Director's Cut for the first time. Besides a couple of scenes with very dated special effects, it has aged very well and remains a classic that set up all the rules for this type of movie. Younger generations may think it's a bunch of predictable, overused tropes but they should keep in mind this is the movie that inspired everything else they might have seen! Having watched the original Blade Runner recently to prepare for Blade Runner 2049, it's also interesting to notice how much of the atmosphere and gritty elements/shots in Alien help mold what would become another genre-defining movie for Ridley Scott.
I Am Mother (2019)
Not the most original ideas or premise but very well executed
9 June 2019
All in all this is a very well done, dark sci-fi thriller that keeps you on the edge of your seat from beginning to end. If you're used to sci-fi, the story and twists are a bit predictable and it might not keep you guessing from beginning to end but everything else from acting to pacing makes it worth watching!
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The perfect conclusion to what the MCU started 11 years ago.
19 May 2019
The Infinity Gauntlet trilogy was one of my most cherished comic books growing up. I would have never imagined it would become a movie one day. With each movie after the original Iron Man that truly started shaping the MCU, it was clear Marvel was taking the direction of adapting my beloved comic to the big screen. I was very apprehensive but they surpassed everything I could dream of. After some 30 MCU movies, they got the formula down to a science with the right amounts of action, funny, epic, touching and overall awesomeness to please most people and the result is a memorable experience that is a perfect conclusion of this generation of MCU. Bravo, and from that little kid who didn't have much besides comics growing up: thank you!
2 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Room (2003)
"I don't want to talk about it"
19 May 2019
Most people just do not understand Tommy Wiseau. Literally. Because of his accent. This movie is unlike anything that has come before or will come after; it is a fact you should keep in mind when watching it. And once you've seen it, it is a memorable event you won't forget. Have you ever seen a movie that is such a masterfully executed work of art it transcends the need for any story, gripping or otherwise? Such movies, however rare, can be found. Some directors safely follow the proven formula of what makes a great movie; others experiment and take bold approaches with their film-making for equally great results. These are two different ways to produce quality movies. Tommy Wiseau bet everything he had on this movie; the result is something that can't really be defined within the constraints of a star rating system; it matters not whether you give it one or ten stars and so I literally flipped a coin for this review in the spirit of Tommy's bet on his vision.

I will say this: when I first heard about The Room I was told not to watch it alone, but organize my first viewing with a group of like-minded friends and copious amounts of the finest beverage available. And I am glad I waited years for this to happen, as The Room is an experience you have to share. It is then and only then you will appreciate it in its fullest for the ode to love, sensuality, friendship and football throwing it is.
Stan & Ollie (2018)
A touching movie with excellent acting
5 May 2019
Even if you're not a fan of Laurel & Hardy, this movie is a great story giving a look at their later years post-fame. John C. Reilly and Steve Coogan are absolutely brilliant and this movie would be worth watching for their performance alone. This is definitely not my usual type of movie but considering the good reviews I had to watch it and I don't regret it one bit.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Creed II (2018)
Predictable but entertaining; not as good as the first Creed
2 May 2019
Considering all the good reviews I was expecting better. It's very predictable and while the first Creed was a great Rocky successor, Creed 2 is basically a remake of Rocky 4. But as far as remakes go, it's not badly done and entertaining enough. It is however the kind of movie that really tells a franchise is at the end of the line and they should really stop making more at this point.
Prospect (2018)
Well done with not much
1 May 2019
It's a very basic plot but well executed. They managed to give a great atmosphere that really pulls you in the story and makes you invested in the characters. Good sci-fi thriller, better than a lot of big budget blockbusters out there. Recommended!
6 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It Follows (2014)
Good concept, ok execution; not that scary
1 May 2019
There are some inconsistencies in the plot and in the pacing but there are also some intense moments and the story does a good job at creating its own scary mythology. Definitely not the worst horror movie out there, but not the best either.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beyond excellent. Surpassed all my expectations!
20 April 2019
Even though I am a big Marvel fan and animation fan, I never really liked Marvel animated shows or movies, so I completely disregarded this when it came out. All my friends were praising and recommending it so I finally listened to them... and boy am I glad I did (and my friends know me well!) This movie managed to take familiar characters and stories and do something extremely original with them. It's enthralling, trippy, fun, touching and very funny all at once. It's also an absolute visual treat and the voice actors are impeccably on point. Unless you're prone to epilepsy (I'm actually serious about that), I see no reason why you shouldn't watch this movie!
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Really wanted to like it more, it's just ok
18 March 2019
So I was hoping this would be a great movie and I could write a review telling misogynists to shut up because it's fantastic to have a strong female superhero as a lead character. Alas, in that regard Wonder Woman did a lot better as a movie as a whole. The acting is not that great between Brie Larson's poor performance and the prosthetic/GCI on Samuel L. Jackson that makes him look younger but also gives him an expressionless wooden appearance. There are very obvious plot holes (like, wait, how did they know to do that?) and the pacing is very uneven; there are a few parts during which I didn't feel engaged at all. On the plus side it does fairly well as an origin story, and there is that Marvel level of polish in special effects and editing. All in all, it might be a necessary introduction to Captain Marvel for Avengers End Game, but it is probably the weakest MCU movie to date.
184 out of 338 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Never meant to be a masterpiece, and the result is quite entertaining
24 February 2019
It's nowhere as bad as everyone says. While it doesn't have the most original plot or the most in-depth character developments, the concept and world are fun, so is the movie as a whole from beginning to end. And it's a stunning visual spectacle if nothing else. If you are familiar with the video game series Final Fantasy, this is pretty much what one of those games would be as a movie. I really don't think anyone involved tried to create a masterpiece here, so by being a very entertaining action-packed sci-fi fantasy it more than fulfills its purpose. Now I do agree with one thing: the title is just dumb.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wonderful man, bad documentary
21 February 2019
I did not grow up watching his show but have heard a lot about Mr. Rogers. By all account he was a wonderful man who had a great positive impact on many children. While the documentary does confirm this, it's just very slow and devoid of real content unfortunately; the whole thing could have easily be condensed in 15 minutes. That's too bad as I was really looking forward to something with a lot more substance about the man, his life and his show.
0 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Zodiac (2007)
Great detective story based on true facts
17 February 2019
The regular movie is already long and I just watched the extended Director's Cut... that's definitely not for everybody. For a serial killer themed movie, the murders are not at the center; rather, everything revolves around the investigation from cops and journalists. It is slow-paced and feels closer to real life so some people might find it boring. But Fincher once again manages to make it interesting from beginning to end.
Very 90s teen comedy that's fairly enjoyable
16 February 2019
Being a teen in the 90s too, I regret not watching that when it came out as I probably would have been to relate to and enjoy it even more. Still, it brought back good memories and even if the story is not all that original and quite predictable, the cast makes it very enjoyable from beginning to end!