Reviews

Animals (I) (2019)
Beastly.
18 July 2019
Two best friends, in a coming of age, finding their purpose within their own love story story. Helped and hindered with copious narcotics, alcohol and general partying. Based on the novel from 2014 of the same name by Emma Jane Unsworth.

This film has some wonderful bits. If you appreciate some depth, and challenge, and at times a female Withnail and I / Fleabag'esk environment this will likely work for you.

It is not without faults, meanders a little, but this does feel part of the story and not "wrong", but could be a little tighter.

Holliday Grainger trying to look rough from intense partying is interesting as she looks annoying stunning mostly, but her performance and that of Alia Shawkat is really something, with some beautiful dialogue and heart squeezing performances.

This is not an easy watch, although fun at times as it moves in a complex journey to the "coming of age". A worthy watch, and I suspect for the right person, a cracker.

1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Blinded by the *hite
9 July 2019
Oh dear.

The trials and tribulations of a young Asian man and his connection with Bruce Springsteen helping him through his challenges with love and family, becoming a writer in a politically active, racial, Thatcherite, 80's music environment in a repressive but loving stereotypical 70/80's Asian (Pakistani) family.

This film is confused. It's not very funny, has no great acting, is lost. It mixes a coming of age, love story, in a racially challenged time, blurring into Mamma Mia style scenes, with bad singing etc. It felt amateurish, with a couple of laughs. It just couldn't quite pull it off. It had for me a few seriously cringe moments.

I didn't hate it, it wasn't horrible and had elements of sweet, but a 5 was all I could muster. Sadly, I wouldn't bother.
26 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Yesterday (III) (2019)
Great music, Sweet film with floors.
20 June 2019
I enjoyed this, it was light, fun "chewing gum" film.

Great music (Beatles obviously), the leads were entertaining (Lily James was adorable, even with bad hair) . A nice love story and a good few laughs.

It was entertaining, ridiculous and had a few acting bits or plot lines that made you role your eyes. But all in all, I was glad I saw it, it gets a 7/10 for a worthy and feel good film.

Thanks for reading.
1 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Climax (I) (2018)
Experiential viewing. You have been warned!
18 June 2019
Well. If you are after an experience, I guess this is one. Like a night when you really pushed the boundaries on drink or drugs and you're at the stage when you either need to be sick or walk it off, either way, it's a long night.

This is a film about expressive dance, colour palette, drugs and primitive release. It walks the line between nonsense and art.

It has shades of Suspiria but is not as refined, it is harsh, like nails down a chalk board at times.

It's certainly a trip, I felt I lost balance watching it at some point!

Sound up your street? This is no easy watch but worthy for the dance, colour and experience.

You have been warned.

1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pet Sematary (1989)
"Sometimes dead is better"
11 June 2019
Was good and held up pretty well. The 4K restoration looks good as is the Dolby HTS sound.

It had some decent differences from the remake to help make it a different experience. Even though some of it was more dated, effects etc, I think more scary, with some decent effecting bits with the kid, and cat!

A good 7 or 7.5 out of 10, it's a good story, with atmosphere. 👍👻
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Brightburn (2019)
My kinda Superhero 👍
10 June 2019
More a horror person than a superhero fan?

I liked this, it was interesting. Something different. A couple of jump scares, but more a threatening presence type of thing. A strong peformance by Jackson A Dunn, the lead, although playing a rather "grey" kid, the menace is well done.

Jenifer Holland otherwise takes the plaudits as strong, loving and rather yummy mummy.

Superman parallels, with traditional horror feels, and a quirky theme. Well done with some interesting cinematography and some well done effects and gore.

The titles exit music by Billie Eilish 'Bad Guy', was a nice touch.

It's no masterpiece but a good 7/10 for me and a worthy watch.
18 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Aladdin (2019)
No Genie'us 😕👍
27 May 2019
Saw this yesterday. I thought it was pretty good and worth a watch. Good production, some great effects and cinematography. Will Smith did really well as the Genie. I couldn't shake Robin Williams from my mind, but Will made it very much his own.

Would I say yes to the re-make, no. But that aside, it was a pretty good watch.
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Rocketman (2019)
He's Still Standing!
21 May 2019
The story of a damaged individual trying to come to terms with themselves and their subsequent addiction is not a new story. However, not many of those folk live a life like Elton's. Producing hit after hit with Bernie like shelling peas.

This is a film first but a musical second, and what a score. Genuine goose bump moments, one hum dinger in a early first major performance.

A hell of a strong cast, with really too many to mention, the casting of Taron Egerton as Elton was genius.

This is a moving story, which flew past and really is as good as the reviews imo. Loved it, a really strong 8.

Elton's popularity will really expand with this. Get on it!
34 out of 71 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Fence (2017)
On the Fence
20 May 2019
Good soundtrack, entertaining story. Promises more but decent effort.

Pretty good performances. Worth a watch.

Be interesting to see what these lot could do 👍
Beats (II) (2019)
Big fish little fish, cardboard box! 👍
8 May 2019
Well, if you missed out on a rave in the 90's with MDMA (E) then this is a good attempt at the experience. A story of brotherhood and the rave culture. Some trippy effects and a really good depiction of a rave when out of it!

I enjoyed the strong cast. A few laughs, some heart swell. A sprinkle of political commentary. It is a film of its time.

I enjoyed it and can see why it has won a few awards. It had atmosphere and felt like an experience in places. One I was glad throw some mental shapes to! 👍
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Booksmart (2019)
Laughs, love and sisterhood.
6 May 2019
A quirky, interesting film, slightly confused at times, however a well paced coming of age comedy about two friends and their love story, their sisterhood and their relationships.

A story mostly contained in a nights activities before graduation. Love, sex, partying, and laughs (easily exceeded the 6 laugh test) with the bonus of some real belly laughs around the cinema.

It had some moving moments and some lovely bits of cinematography and a fitting score. Watch for the swimming pool scene.

A strong and balanced cast and a fine debut for actor Olivia Wilde as director.

A worthy watch with some depth. A decent 7/10.
5 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Long Shot (2019)
Ridiculous, silly and feel good fun.
30 April 2019
It was ridiculous, obvious and silly in equal measure.

If you can switch off reality and are in it for fun, it delivers. Well passed the "6 laugh test", and I may have fell in love with Charlize on numerous occasions.

Seth is good value and it has some good supporting roles.

Feel good fun. I would. 7/10
25 out of 74 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worth a watch, but nothing groundbreaking.
20 April 2019
Nothing new here, formulaic, but some good performances, tension, and jump scares. Some nice camera shots. Worthy of a watch, especially as a horror film fan. I enjoyed it. 7/10
12 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Red Joan (2018)
Nearly very good 👍
20 April 2019
Judi was very good of course, but doesn't feature hugely. Film was ok but felt like a missed opportunity. Could have been better. Meandered through an interesting story in a pedestrian manner. Last 10 mins it picked up. 6/10.
17 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Old school meets no school, murder and frolics!
14 April 2019
Strange how you can get a warm feeling when pseudo monsters start killing little urchins.

It seems killing the old way means doing things that clearly should get you caught, DNA, fingerprints and murder in public places, all tied together with cliches a plenty.

Still, warm characters, and well played scum bags who make you chomp at the bit to see them killed, hopefully, horribly.

A bit of a silly film in places, but the characters and their banter made me smile and it was all in all, 90 mins of a fun watch.

Mandy (I) (2018)
Drugs man, really screw you up.
12 April 2019
So, if you happen to be looking for a love/ grief/ revenge driven, psychedelic, heavy metal, LSD colour palleted, Manson-esq, violent, demonic, fantasy horror (aren't we all), then this is your lucky day.

Trippy, but lovely. Take the trip.

8 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Suspiria (1977)
It ain't what you do it's the way that you watch it.
30 March 2019
Amazing. Existential film, incredible colours and now in 4K. I would get the one where TLE recreate the original colours, a fundamental part of the experience.

Some won't get it, but it's the manner in which you watch it and understand what it going on. It's the atmosphere. Turn it up, get lost in it, read about it, and it's a masterpiece.
Sweet and Salty sea dogs 👍
26 March 2019
Quick review:

Loose story based on the Fisherman's journey to find musical success, albeit music coming second to their way of life and friendship.

This is a story of authenticity. A sweet take with some beautiful Cornish scenery. Not a masterpiece, with some reasonable acting (we are not talking Meryl Streep and Tom Hanks).

A fun and touching tale, which passes the "lump in the throat" test several times. *level of tears is optional

This won't change your life, but it might make you feel warm inside for a bit and enjoy a quick shanty (who doesn't).

Worthy watch 7/10
2 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mid90s (2018)
Boards, hair and teen spirit!
25 March 2019
Wow, interesting watch.

A troubled young man trying to find his way and focusing on his experiences. Mid 90's felt in places like 70's and 80's. Skating, breaking, baggy jeans and t-shirts.

A few "problematic" bits, one major one you will see. Overall some lovely camera work, music and believable characters with some cracking acting. Hard to pick out from "the group", they all owned their characters.

A thoughtful, atmospheric, emotional film that kept me interested in what was happening next until the credits. I really enjoyed it.

Mr Hill May have sonething. 8/10
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ebbing and Flowing.
17 March 2019
Well, got around to this finally. Clever, polished, some superb characters and acting. Frances McDormand leading the way, but many others following close behind. Still, I feel slightly lost within it. I just knew the end would leave me unfinished as characters move off in mid life story to find their futures.

If a film that leaves you thinking is the goal, with powerhouse performances and atmosphere a plenty in a beautifully made piece of work. Sign up.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Quiet Place (2018)
Shhh....
4 March 2019
Quick review:

A family in a post apocalyptic world, having to survive a new terror. A film about a world of survival which involves, "being quiet" which is really a film about love, relationships and children...and being quiet!

This is more than a horror. A clever spin, I loved the "fullness" of this film, a horror which was more complex and seemed to focus on the story.

The results had me holdings my breath, even after the film had ended. I love the concept.

Unsurprisingly with such a class cast, the main roles were strong, all parties playing their parts skilfully. It is hard to pull one out even with Emily Blunt.

The use of children was clever and not over cooked and brought real humanity to a story that could other wise be less than.

This film is more than a horror. It was moving, TENSE, scary with great acting and music.

Highly recommended. Loved it. 8/10.
"It's not your fault"
1 March 2019
Not many films make make me shed a tear. This film moves me.

A young genius and his challenges in life and love, learning to combat his own damage and use his abilities or destroy himself.

Yes, it has some tiny defects, some obviousness. But what a cast, Matt Damon and Minnie Driver are chemically alive. Look for the "if you say you don't love me scene" it's sublime. They are kids in this, but their acting is ageless.

Robin Williams parental, warm and loving role, makes you want the hug, and the indelible and repeated line "it's not you fault" is hard to describe. It's a "moment". RIP. Robin. This film makes me sad you left.

Stellan Skarsgård plays a great role, the skill in which means I don't love him, but the perfect role compliment Robin and Matt and a deft job.

The rest of the cast contains supporting actors which could easily be leads, with Ben and Casey Affleck are perfect in their roles as buddies.

Some films show you the magick in movies, this is one. Simple human concepts with, great cinematography, and wonderful acting. A near perfect film.

Watch it. 9/10
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Turbo charged momentum, spewing fumes.
28 February 2019
Quick review:

Watched this on 4K, Dolby Atmos. Third time I've seen it. I can't quite understand what is is about a dystopian vehiclular film where little is said, that appeals. But it does.

It's an action film with almost constant movement, a visual feast, glossy and full of some great cinematography and superb stunts. Tom hardy and Charlize Theron are both great and say little. Both trying to "become" the characters, I suspect with little choice as the characters told you little about who they are.

A stunning, dystopian, turbo charged visual feast of a film. I look forward to watching again. 8/10
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
There doesn't seem to be anyone around! (As Tiffany said).
27 February 2019
Quick thoughts:

Well, the highlight was "Working Man" by RUSH, played several times throughout!

An interesting concept, some excellent cinematography, some good acting.

Story, not so much....

Sadly a bit too tedious, not the worst thing to watch ever, but given the choice, I'd take the time back.

6/10 for the good bits. Good looking film, not enough of a decent script sadly!
Death Wish (2018)
Welcome to the party pal 👍
17 February 2019
Very average reviews (particularly critics) but finally thought I'd pop this on as it's on Netflix. Nothing groundbreaking here, but surprised how much I enjoyed it. Chewing gum film, with one particular "eye rolling" moment (wait for the bowling ball scene).

Bruce was rather good in a subdued but still "yippee kai a" sort of way. I enjoyed the dramatic killing bits, with some joyous endings that made me go "ohhhh" out loud, and I was still routing for the "good" guy.

Some good supporting cast, I particularly liked Dean Norris as the likeable detective.

Want an easy and entertaining watch, give it a whirl. Worthy watch. 7/10.