Reviews

The Commuter (I) (2018)
Narrow Margin 2
13 August 2018
This film's plot is very similar to classic "Narrow Margin" starring Gene Hackman and Anne Archer (1990). It is a mysterious and full of action rail trip with great actors. So, if you enjoy Liam Neeson action movies, like Taken or Unknown, you certainly won't be disappointed with this one!
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disappointing
3 August 2018
The movie is very sad. There are only a few funny scenes and most of the movie is quite upsetting and make you cry rather than laugh. I think that when Meryl Streep rejected to perform the starring role, they should have quit an idea to make this sequel/prequel instead of burying Donna (what seems to be the main plot of the movie). Only some scenes with Cher and Andy Garcia are really entertaining and funny. Furthermore, most of ABBA songs used in the movie are rather unknown and there are only a few greatest hits. I think that the movie is worthy of seeing but it is totally incomparable to the first one. Please, do not make the third installment!
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Choke Canyon (1986)
Underrated
30 March 2014
It's really difficult to explain why this movie is so unknown and low-rated. I've watched it many years ago, as a child, and now found it's DVD release at amazon.com. It's still really great! If you are the fan of 80's action movies - like e.g. Delta Force, American Ninja, Rambo, Commando or James Bond series - you certainly won't be disappointed by this one. This is a very well-done action thriller, with some great stunts and action sequences and - above all - fantastic score by Sylvester Levay (see also Cobra, but he is best known for his Airwolf theme). There are also some really good actors starring in "Choke Canyon", like Stephen Collins, Lance Henriksen and Bo Svenson whose performances make this movie really worth of seeing. So I recommend "Choke Canyon" (AKA "On dangerous ground") to all who like some good, old and light action thrillers.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disappointing
9 September 2009
When entering the cinema I expected to see the thrilling and full-of-action movie, having in mind hitherto Tony Scott's great achievements, like Spy Game, Enemy of the State, Crimson Tide.

Unfortunately, I found "Pelham" very disappointing.

It is a very boring movie, with some ridiculous and thus funny scenes and very "poor" dialogs. There is no action, no Tony Scott-like suspense. The only advantage of this film are some really great actors (Travolta, Washington, Turturro). Nevertheless, due to horrible script, they did not even have an opportunity to present their great acting skills.

On the whole, I recommend not to visit cinema to see this movie. It would be less annoying to see 1974 "Pelham" once again.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ally McBeal (1997–2002)
One of a kind
12 August 2009
"Ally McBeal" is very interesting and surprising TV-series. The unique and untypical sense of humor is, in my opinion, the greatest advantage of "Ally". The Authors of the series successfully attempted to present everyone's everyday problems in the specific form, often making use of absurd and grotesque.

There are also a lot of fabulous actors in these series, who created some unforgettable and one-of-a-kind characters (especially Peter MacNicol as John Cage).

A lot of IMDb commentators say that fourth and, in particular, fifth seasons are worse. It is true, especially when it comes to fifth season, which is full of ridiculous moments and is simply unnecessary.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Invasion (I) (2007)
1956 "Body Snatchers" still the best
10 May 2008
"Invasion" is the fourth version of the Jack Finney's novel "The Body Snatchers". And the worst one, despite of quite interesting performances of Nicole Kidman and Daniel Craig.

"Invasion of the Body Snatchers" of 1956 still remains a classical science-fiction/horror movie, whereas the 2007 "Invasion" is an average horror film, with no climate, horrible script and predictable plot. There is nothing surprising in that movie, especially the laughable scene when Daniel Craig proves to be "one of them". While watching the movie, I could have bet with someone that this would happen!

To sum up, I think that the film is watchable, but only in order to make some comparisons with 1956, 1978 and 1993 Body Snatchers. Besides, the "Invasion" may be found interesting by people who like the very "Snatchers"-history.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Ron Clark Story (2006 TV Movie)
Nice TV movie
30 April 2008
I must admit that I saw that movie "with one eye", while eating dinner, and I thought that it would be some next typical average TV-film, i.e. a stupid comedy about a funny school-teacher.

I was really surprised. "The Ron Clark Story" proved to be a quite nice piece of acting, with a lot of interesting moments.

If for you Matthew Perry will always be Chandler Bing, you are certainly right, but - despite of that - he was very suitable for that movie.

Do not be afraid, since it is not some comedy like "Kindergarten Cop". It is a biographical drama, about a man who wants to do something good for some other people and does it with unconventional methods.

For these reasons, I find to be really worthy of recommendation.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Verdict (1982)
Quite disappointing
22 April 2008
I am a great fan of the courtroom dramas, but I found "The Verdict", which seemed to be a classical one, much worse than other - rather average - movies of that kind, e.g. "A Few Good Men" or "Presumed Innocent".

It is quite boring and predictable in a lot of moments. Furthermore, certain events and dialogues seem to be rather unrealistic (on the other hand - that is very typical to David Mamet).

Notheteless, I gave it 6 - because of the great and unforgettable performances of Paul Newman and James Mason. These two make "The Verdict" worthy of recommendation.
4 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.