Reviews

Yesterday (III) (2019)
Great and wholesome
12 July 2019
The screenplay was classic Richard Curtis, and as a massive fan of Curtis' films, I loved it and I was buzzing to see this film ever since the trailer came out. I also admire many of Danny Boyle's films, so this pair working on the same movie was like a dream come true to me. The directing was classic Boyle, I absolutely loved it, and the story was everything I'd expect from Richard Curtis. Both Patel and Lily James did amazing jobs. As a fan of the Beatles, I was excited to see another film with their music, having previously only seen Across the Universe, which even though it was a great movie, it was drastically different to Yesterday. 10/10 recommended if you enjoy British rom-coms.
Then Came You (2018)
cheesy and unoriginal
25 June 2019
I could name at least five other movies whose plot isn't that different compared to this one. The only original thing about this film would be that it tries to be funny and optimistic and in contrast to other protagonists, Skye handles herself quite well despite her sickness. Unfortunately, that doesn't provide and interesting enough plot for this to be an original movie. The setting is also quite confusing. For the first half an hour or so I thought this was happening at Heathrow Airport but apparently not, as it is later revealed. Kids with cancer is such a cliché, even if it is a sad one. Just skip watching this, it's not worth it.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing, but...
15 June 2019
Both Blunt and Press delivered stunning performances. The film reminded me quite a lot of Call Me By Your Name. The only thing I disliked about it, was the unsteadiness of the camera and the close ups, something which had come to properly annoy me by the end of the film. Other than that, it was written and acted put beautifully. I'd still rather recommend CMBYN, for a film of this genre, but this would give off more or less the same feel and in a shorter period of time.
Little Woods (2018)
Intense and raw
13 June 2019
Lily James and Tessa Thompson both deliver stunning performances and this film explains beautifully the hardships of a working class woman's life. It's very real, raw and sometimes also quite painful to watch. Nina DaCosta did a terrific job on her first film. Absolutely loved it. It's so powerful and intense and deep and a really good film.
Rocketman (2019)
I had very high expectations... and they were met
6 June 2019
I have to make it clear that I had very high expectations from this film. I expected it to be a bit like Bohemian Rhapsody, but I knew that it would also be very different. Now, this is a great film. Taron Egerton is absolutely amazing, I'd previously seen him in other movies but he never delivered such a stunning performance. Dexter Fletcher is a truly amazing director and the screenplay was also written beautifully, keeping the viewer on the edge, something not often experienced in biographies. I absolutely loved it! I enjoyed every single second of it and I was quite stunned that it had ended so quickly. Will most certainly rewatch. I feel like it won't get the same hype Bohemian Rhapsody got, but it still is a truly amazing film! 8.5/10
6 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Booksmart (2019)
I didn't not like it, but I still didn't love it
3 June 2019
I expected so much more from it after I saw countless people raving about it. I expected it to be a coming-of-age drama that I'd always go back to, but I found myself waiting for it to finish. I can't fault the acting or the directing, both actresses are stunning in these leading roles, but at times, instead of it being deep, it was just cringe. I expected it to be a funnier version of Palo Alto, but it was purely disappointing.
11 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A pleasant surprise
18 May 2019
Zac Efron was amazing, it was the first time I saw him play such a complex character and I have to admit, he did it brilliantly. Lily Collins was just as amazing as I ever, but my expectations where high regarding her, so that wasn't really a surprise. The costumes were amazing and the screenplay was absolutely brilliant. Joe Berlinger is an amazing director, in some shots you managed to get a preview of what Bundy actually was, without revealing too much. Bundy was portrayed in a very original way: seeming humane, but he wasn't humanised too much, therefore viewers wouldn't forget the atrocities he committed.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Deadly Class (2018–2019)
Didn't expect to like it
31 March 2019
It really is a coming of age story, something I certainly didn't expect it to be. I loved the first 6 or 7 episodes, but then I feel like it started going downhill. There were some moments in the first part of the season when I really felt that this was a real story, teenagers dealing with problems, which have been made to seem bigger, but teenage problems nonetheless. Then there started to be a lot of drama and unnecessary violence. I rated it 8 starts because I feel like a lot of things about Chester were really unnecessary and just sick. What was that with being obsessed with dogs?! I also feel like there was a lot of unnecessary violence, more than there should've been, even if it was expected.
4 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Papillon (I) (2017)
A truly wonderful film!
27 January 2019
Both Charlie Hunnam and Rami Malek offer amazing performances. With little dialogue they are able to express their characters' feelings beautifully. It's been edited and directed beautifully. The only reason I'm not giving it ten stars is because: 1) you could tell it was filmed in Europe and not South America and 2) it was too slow-paced at times, although some scenes, who could've turned out extremely boring, turned out amazing.
Sex Education (2019– )
You probably don't think you need this, but you actually do!
12 January 2019
It's absolutely amazing! It's very funny, I caught myself laughing out loud multiple times, but above all, it's relatable! Asa Butterfield is the perfect nerdy kid and Emma Mackey is also amazing. Need we even mention Gillian Anderson? After you've seen an episode or two, you'll realise this was what you needed all along. I'm giving it 9/10 because I've still got 3 episodes left to watch and those might ruin everything for me (tbh they probs won't)
11 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not everyone's cup of tea
9 January 2019
I'm not sure what rating I'm going to give this film. It's just beyond a rating. So I won't. I actually don't know what to make of it. It definitely was a good film, it was written beautifully and the three lead actresses were amazing. It was directed beautifully and it was quite scary, without it being "jump out of your seat scary". I'd say this definitely was one good psychological thriller. I do recommend it, but do know that it's not an easy film to watch.
Outlander (2014– )
Best show on TV!
6 January 2019
I know a lot of people confuse this show with Game of Thrones, and even though it is similar in many ways, I'd describe this as a milder and I dare say, happier version of it. Both Sam Heughan and Caitriona Balfe offer strong performances, getting perfectly into character. The show is incredibly well written, none of the characters are in any way one dimensional or dull. Even though nudity is a big part of this series, it definitely doesn't precede or eclipse every other aspect that makes this show amazing. Unlike in other films, nudity is never unnecessary and there's a certain intimacy one can notice in love scenes that isn't visible in other films. It's definitely binge worthy, without turning into a soap opera. It feels sophisticated whilst still being easy to watch. Cannot recommend it enough.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not at all predictable and very heartwarming
22 December 2018
It's funnier than you'd expect and sadder than it likes to let on. There are some top jokes there and all of these characters are very real, not the kind of characters you'd expect to see in a film. It's also nice that there's some diversity in a film about the end of the world. It's sad, romantic, funny and overall an amazing film! It's written beautifully and I absolutely love Keira Knightley's character! Go give it a watch!
Very important
17 November 2018
This film is a prime example of what over religious communities can do to people who identify as LGBTQ+. It definitely deserves the rave reviews. It's directed beautifully and Chloe Grace Moretz does such an amazing job showing her feelings without having much dialogue as backup. Definitely go give it a watch! It's one of the best movies that have won at sundance (that I've also seen) so far!
3 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing! Exceeded all my expectations
16 November 2018
I went into the theatre expecting to see something like "Fantastic Beasts and where to find them", which I liked a lot, but it hadn't been mindbogglingly good. This, on the other hand, was mindbogglingly good. All of the actors did amazing jobs and I loved the fact that it was a bit more intertwined with the Harry Potter franchise than the first movie had been. The turn of events was also maddeningly good. Definitely go and give it a watch while it's in theatres, you'll love it!
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Typical Oscar bait
10 November 2018
If this doesn't get nominated for the Academy Awards, then I don't know anything about films. I hated almost every second of it. It was so typical, such a big cliche. Didn't like it at all. If you don't like movies where crying is obligatory and if you're not one for very romantic and sad movies, give it a pass. I regret wasting my time on it.
4 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Did expect a tad more from it, but still didn't disappoint
21 October 2018
One thing I expected from this was for it to have an even bigger blockbuster feel than it already did, but I'm definitely not complaining that it felt somewhat human as well. I had very high expectations from this, considering all these amazing actors, whom I've admired for a long time. I definitely recommend it, but be prepared for it to be slow-paced, one might even say boring, at times.
Disco Pigs (2001)
Beautiful film, but you could definitely notice that it had been a play (a plus mind you)
16 October 2018
I do consider myself a stage actress, therefore plays sometimes resonate more with me than films, having spent more time in a theatre than a cinema. While watching this, I could definitely see some key parts you'd definitely notice in a play. I absolutely loved it. There were two lead characters and the other ones were all definitely episodic. The storyline was simple, beautiful and tragic all at the same time. This was an amazing film about a toxic relationship and what such a relationship can do to one. I can't put into words how much I loved it, even though the title was a bit odd, meaning it didn't tell you anything about what you could expect from it. That's something very common in plays, so don't trust the title! This is a fil you either love or you hate, I feel like there's no middle ground.
Peaky Blinders (2013– )
Very realistic, doesn't glorify life as a gangster
14 October 2018
Finally a crime series that doesn't glorify life as a gangster and isn't set in huge metropolises like London or New York or whatever. I loved this. I'm not really one for crime series, but this was set in Birmingham, it's set in 1919 and advances from there on and it has Cillian Murphy playing the lead role. I've seen Cillian Murphy in a lot of different characters and I know what a good actor he is, so obviously he played Tommy Shelby beautifully.

Something that really disturbed me was Annabelle Wallis' costume in the first season. She didn't look like she was straight out of 1919, which she should've. Her hairstyle was just wrong. That may be a spoiler, but I wouldn't really say that it is.

While I'm writing this review, filming on series 5 has officially begun and I've seen all 24 episodes that have been released thus far in a grand total of 9 days. I'm happy to say that the end to series 4 hasn't disappointed me and hasn't left me urgently wanting to know what goes on next, unlike the other finales.
Unexpectedly good
6 October 2018
Absolutely loved the flashbacks and the way it was all put together. All of the actors did truly amazing jobs, properly enjoyed watching them perform. So unexpected, don't give up if it's boring you. Do watch the end, it's fab
The Third Man (1949)
Amazing
15 September 2018
I'm not sure why I'm rating this only 9 stars, but it truly was an amazing film. It definitely changed my perspective about black and white films and I'm definitely going to watch many more. The acting was amazing and I absolutely loved the scenery. Such good film. I'm honestly speechless.
Fast Girls (2012)
Makes you feel ridiculously confident
10 September 2018
First saw a scene of this film back in 2014 and I fell in love with it. For months I couldn't track it down but recently someone recommended it to me. I was so happy to be finally watching it. It really does give one a confidence boost and I felt like I could take on the world after watching it. Love it and definitely recommend it.
Penny Dreadful (2014–2016)
Amazing
2 September 2018
I'm all for gothic novels, and this series brought all my favourite characters together in one place, with a very intriguing plot, that never ceased to disappoint me. I never got bored while watching this, something I was actually surprised about. Eva Green's performance as the mysterious Vanessa Ives was stunning and even with all the A-star cast, this series didn't have a blockbuster feel to it, something which made it feel even more genuine. It had an aesthetic which was all about blacks, greys and muted greens, a very accurate depiction of Victorian London. I can't recommend this enough. 11/10
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
As You Are (2016)
Good, but not impressive
22 August 2018
It is very slow paced and what I liked most about it was how in the first 50 minutes it focused more on the characters, but as it started drawing to a close, it started focusing more on the plot. That aspect ruined it for me, the focus on its characters having been its strongest point. The actors played the characters beautifully, doing so without any help from the aimless dialogue. The fact that the dialogue was aimless, one might even say stupid, and by no means strong, proved that you can make an astonishing movie without its help. I loved the way the story was retold, but I feel like there was something missing. I had really high expectations from it, and unfortunately, they weren't quite met.
Doesn't deserve only 6.4
18 August 2018
A lot of the people I recommend this movie to were reluctant to watch it because of its lenght. 2 and a half hours may seem like a while, but with such an oddly intriguing story it doesn't feel like it. I've seen shorter movies that seemed longer than this one did. The cinematography was absolutely stunning and everything was presented in such a green light, literally everything seemed to have green undertones, which kind of surprised me at the beginning, but seemed normal as the story progressed. The acting was absolutely stunning, I loved how you only found out everything about the characters at the end. The plot was a bit odd, but it was refreshingly so. It wasn't like anything I had seen before and I absolutely loved its originality. 9.5/10
9 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.