Reviews

Great Adventure!
23 August 2019
In my view, still the greatest adventure film of all time! Often copied, but never equaled. And the cast is perfect - from Errol Flynn as the definitive Robin Hood, Olivia de Havilland as Maid Marion, Claude Rains as Prince John, Basil Rathbone as Guy of Gisborne, Patric Knowles, Eugene Palette, Alan Hale, and even Una O'Connor. Never a dull moment, and spectacularly photographed in color. Don't miss this one!
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Freaks (2018)
Definitely Different
23 August 2019
All I can say is that you will either love it or be disgusted by it. I loved it. The ironic theme of the film is that the circus "freaks" are normal people who are kind and look out for one another, while two of the "normal" people - Cleopatra and Hercules - are the ones who are really freaks. A nice combination of drama and humor, and the circus freaks are really good.
5 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My All-Time Favorite Movie and that says a lot!
9 August 2019
The Best Years of Our Lives is my all-time favorite film for many reasons. It is as relevant today as it was in 1946; our veterans coming home from Iraq and Afghanistan face the same problems as Dana Andrews, Fredrick March, and Harold Russell did after WWII. The plot is wonderful, the pace of the film - although almost three hours long - is great, and the acting is brilliant. Fredrick March and Harold Russell both won Oscars for the film, but Dana Andrews is really the star and gives his usual understated performance, as opposed to March, who almost always overacts.

And my two favorite scenes are the ones already mentioned: Fred Derring (Dana Andrews)' father reviewing his son's war record, which almost drives him to tears, and the climatic scene where Andrews is in the cockpit of the airplane which is being junked to build pre-fab homes as he relives his experiences during the war.

Truly a masterpiece on every level!
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Louis Hayward is Terrific in the Dual Role of Twin Brothers!
9 June 2019
This version of The Man in the Iron Mask is the original and best version of the film, and actually far better than the Dumas novel. Louis Hayward is outstanding in the dual role of the foppish, malevolent King Louis XIV and his heroic brother, Phillipe of Gascony. The rest of the cast is also good. I always like a good swashbuckler and this is one of the best!
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Perry Mason: The Case of the Fatal Fortune (1965)
Season 9, Episode 2
Bit of a reach but still pretty good
26 June 2018
Any Perry Mason episode with Julie Adams and Jesse White in the same episode is always good in my book. This was a bit of a reach, but the cast still made it a good episode.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.