Reviews

Old School Movie In 2018
11 October 2018
More of a substance film than a style film. And it's nice to see a real ending to a thriller for a change, instead of the lucky escape formula that ultimately means nothing other than they got away (yawn).

Without giving anything away, it's definitely a must see movie in 2018.
50 out of 85 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mile 22 (2018)
A Grade Action
1 September 2018
If you like action movies then this is for you. There's loads of technical fighting and gun play.

It also contains some interesting themes with regards to women in the military and the sacrifice they have to make to work in a mans profession. And it makes a cryptic commentary about how corrupt governments make law enforcement impossible.

It's not a feel good story, but it's absolutely riveting and it leaves you with something to think about.

Don't trust your feelings; follow your discipline and trust the evidence.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Upgrade (2018)
Brains can conquer a lack of budget after all.
3 June 2018
What a great movie. It had all the elements of a real smart action/thriller/sci-fi.

The characters journey was perfect in every way. The mood and feel changes were riveting. The action was surprising and awe inspiring at the same time.

And the conclusion! The underlying themes were brought together in the most masterful way I've seen in a while.

This is a cult, must see movie if ever there was one. I highly recommend it to anyone who's into action and psychological thrills.
61 out of 80 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Black Panther (2018)
Strange Times We Live In
15 February 2018
This movie is great of all the tribal people's of the world. Seeing hi tech combined with tribal royalty is interesting to say the least. Is this where we're headed? Forward to the past? Who can say..

The plot was pretty stock standard. Plenty of stuff I'd seen before.

Maybe because I'm white I didn't get the full movie effect. Listening to a black woman saying "another white boy to save" and getting a huge laugh seems a little strange when white people are soundly condemned for saying that to other races. I guess equality isn't for everyone.

This movie will make loads of money, so I expect to see more tribalism in the near future from Hollywood.
449 out of 890 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Commuter (I) (2018)
What train movie is supposed to be.
23 January 2018
There are two kinds of train movies. One where everyone sits around and talks about interesting stuff, and the other where everything gets completely messed up. This is the other kind and it's loads of fun.

What you think you know, maybe isn't so.

Spoiler Alert.

Several interesting themes in this one. A story middle class life being ripped apart by upper class greed, which sees an ex cop turned salesman used as a pawn in a high stakes murder coverup. Nielsons character arc goes from a nice safe financial life selling insurance suddenly into one of desperation and greed himself after he's fired without any kind of safety net. An opportunity to sure up his dire finances suddenly appears, but with it a massive amount of pressure as he's asked to solve an odd mystery and tag a witness for murder.

The shadowy baddies, who use unwilling perps to commit their crimes for them, makes for an interesting metaphor of the deep state left wing government. And the a-hole police captain ends up being a nice guy after all, who's dealing with the situation as best he can, without knowing about the deception hiding reality from him..

All in all a good, fun film for the thinkers, even if it's not a logical masterpiece.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What was that?
14 December 2017
We already knew that Star Wars hated the evil Nazi's, but now it seems we're supposed to believe that Luke and co were communists all along, and not the freedom fighting westerners on the other side of WW2. The evils of capitalism are on full display here, and all this without the rouge smuggler solo to give us a sense that making a dollar is OK.

Yes this apple has fallen far from the tree. Luke is a washed out old man? Leia is a general who has zero military qualities and is more like a mother? The greatest evil in the universe, who can put thoughts into his disciples minds isn't very good at reading minds all of a sudden? The empires defenses have gotten way softer, and they are much stupider with their tactics? Girls don't need any formal training to master the force, and can inherit it from basically anyone?

This list goes on.

All in all this is an overly complex story, lacking in the charisma and awesomeness that made Star Wars the greatest movie event of all time.

Trust your feelings, and don't bother.
15 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.