Reviews

Impulse (2018– )
Top Drawer Sci-Fi Without The Cheese
13 June 2018
I didn't know this was based on the Jumper books until I came to write this review, so I was blind to that fact. This is some top drawer stuff, excellent acting from the entire cast, excellent writing and directing, a story of teenage angst with a wicked twist. I watched the whole season in two days, it was that good. This is not a super-hero show in any way and that's a good thing, well worth watching.
20 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Westworld: Journey into Night (2018)
Season 2, Episode 1
Worth the long wait for the season opener
23 April 2018
Westworld returns with a season opener that hits all the right notes. Once again it's told in flashback/flashforward which will confuse some viewers but for fans of the show it' s become a part of what we expect. No answers in this episode, Maeve is back with vicious reality, The Man in Black (William) is fortunately still alive having survived the initial massacre and is till in fighting form, loving this new world where he can be hurt and has become the hunted. Delores has become the ring leader and her boy Teddy is trying to keep up with her. Bernard is as confused as ever, even more than usual it seems.

Stunning, don't miss it.
33 out of 83 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If you haven't seen this - it's a must.
28 March 2018
I'll keep this simple. Vaughn gets caught in a drug deal and put in prison, his pregnant wife is taken hostage and Vaughn has to fight his way to her freedom. This is a brilliantly executed film, visceral and brutal. A slow burner from the start and builds into explosive action, the fight scenes are realistic and gory. Vaughan turns in a fantasically underplayed job, I've never rated his films or his acting but this is a different animal entirely. Don Johnson is his usual drawling self, perfectly suited for the role of the prison boss. Miss this at your peril, you will not be disappointed.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Roseanne (1988–2018)
Poor, should of been left in the cupboard.
28 March 2018
I was a big fan of the original show, the dynamic worked and it had a some truly funny moments in nearly every episode. This regurgitation is an abomination, Roseanne looks like she's the 6 million dollar woman only she isn't bionic, she's just nearly 100% plastic. She is just not funny any more. John Goodman can still raise a laugh but why oh why did he agree to make this? Avoid it all costs, it's not funny, it's not clever and it's not going to last long.
40 out of 84 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Annihilation (2018)
Unsurprisingly..........It's brilliant!
19 March 2018
Garland's films always amaze and Annihilation ranks among the best. Visually stunning, great cast, great script and well executed throughout. 4 young female (although I don't know why it's relevant that it's women) scientists are sent into the unknown, 'The Shimmer', after the military have failed to come back out of it on a number of occasions. What follows is a masterclass in deep rooted storytelling, Natalie Portman's character 'Lena' is ex-army and also the partner of one of the guys from a previous failed mission. Told in flashback, her story is one of betrayal and self destruction. When Lena finally reaches the epicenter of The Shimmer her former betrayal is exposed and re-lived through the entity she finds, leading to a paradoxical reuniting finale. Utterly brilliant.
1 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awful, save your time for something better, like watching paint dry.
15 January 2018
Terrible acting, terrible writing, terrible action scenes. Even JK Simmons couldn't save this turkey and he's one of my favorite actors. Stapleton is not good in this or anything else I've seen him in, his acting is wooden and not believeable.The actual storyline has some merit but the way it was bought to screen let it down entirely. Save yourself some time and don't watch this, it is truly awful and I feel cheated to have wasted my time on it.
29 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Counterpart (2017– )
Potential To Rival Westworld
13 December 2017
A strong opener with a particularly strong performance from JK Simmons, Counterpart lures you in without quite knowing where you are going and then blam! the story opens up and gives a reveal to what is to come. Simmons is both the mild mannered civil servant and his 'counterpart' hardened 'in the know' operative, he plays both roles strongly enough to believe they are two separate persons and is a good enough actor to hold the opener to the series on his own, although a decent performance from both Ulrich Thomsen (Banshee) and Harry Lloyd make this a tough contender. For those with a love of sci-fi without lazer guns and 'pew pew' noises Counterpart will ring, it has the quality feel of Westworld right from the opening music and had me girpped within 2 minutes. Decent tempo to the opener, not too fast and not dragging its heels, helped keep interest alive right up to the final scene. I hope it lives up to it's potential.
57 out of 82 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dice (2016– )
Never seen him before, but this guy is hilarious!
31 August 2017
Being a Brit I hadn't really heard of Andrew Dice Clay that much, just the odd mention on TV over the years, he wasn't that big a deal in England. However, I really liked his cameo in Entourage when he partnered up with Johnny for Johnny Goes Bananas and when I saw he had a TV show out (I caught it on a cable channel at home in Bangkok) I went out of my way to find more of it. I wasn't disappointed, Dice is a funny funny show, irreverent and self-mocking. It hits all the right notes for me, it's almost like Curb Your Enthusiasm but cooler, Dice's character is brilliant and the supporting characters, particularly his wife and Milkshake, are funny in their own right. Straight off the bat you're into Dice's life as a one-time mega star who's not exactly down on his luck but isn't at the top any more, his connections in Las Vegas are far and wide and the situations he finds himself in are set up to make him the butt of the joke sometimes and the winner on others. I watched the first season in a single sitting and found myself laughing out loud on numerous occasions, my wife was wondering what I was watching and despite being Thai and not having fantastic English she also found it funny. Some great little cameos in season one, Adrien Brody was particularly funny. Give this show a try, you won't regret it, but it's not for those that don't like cussing as Dice is full of expletives.
9 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A bitter pill to swallow
15 May 2017
I had high expectations going into Covenant, I'd enjoyed Prometheus despite it's well documented flaws and was expecting it to rise above it's predecessor. It didn't. I can suspend belief for some things but others I can't overlook, the crew were well cast but the writing had some major flaws in much the same vein as Prometheus, highly trained people making incredibly bad decisions. You can argue that under pressure mistakes are made but not school-boy errors, taking an obviously sick and infected man onto your ship with no hint of quarantine being a major one. Having said that, I did think the aliens themselves were well projected and frightening, men-in-suits works better for me than CGI so on this point Scott won. The first two acts were good barring the critical errors, but the final act was telegraphed and obvious, it left me wondering where this great franchise can go to next? I will watch it again on disc and will definitely add it to my collection but to feel this disappointed after waiting for another of my favourite franchises to appear it left a bitter taste in my mouth, and it wasn't the Coke Zero.
70 out of 121 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Next 'Dredd'?
2 May 2017
By my title I mean is this version of Ghost going to be like Dredd in that it will be overlooked, won't perform as expected and be missed by most of the average filmgoers. I expect the answer is going to be a resounding yes. I was determined to see this at the cinema at all costs and the effort was worth it (I don't live near a theatre). All the media about Johannsen not being right for the part and it should of been a Japanese actress was way off the mark, I've never seen the original version so didn't know the story and the fact that the film answers this critical point itself was enough for me on that subject. Ghost In The Shell was totally immersive, visually stunning and beautifully produced. The rendition in scene was incredible and a feast for the eyes. The story was strongly relayed even for a novice to it as I was. A great film that will become my new 'Dredd' and will definitely be watched over and over again when it's released on BluRay.
4 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not his greatest achievement, but still funny.
26 May 2016
Sacha Baron Cohen is a great character actor but doesn't quite pull off the full on Northerner, his accent drops at times, but for me that added more fun to the picture. Without spoiling the story, Nobby and Sebastian (guess which one Baron Cohen plays) are inseparable young brothers who get separated, one going to live in the middle class security of a London family and the elder being left behind in run down Grimsby 'you probably don't recognise it since it was gentrified'. The years roll on and the brothers are reunited in a great setup with some funny consequences. Mark Strong hams it up nicely as the super spy younger brother who's reluctance to even admit that he could be related to Baron Cohen's character has a some good moments of awkwardness. From the outset there are laughs aplenty but nothing that will stick like other characters that Baron Cohen has bought to life, however you do start to feel for his character as the movie progresses, to an albeit foreseeable ending. The Brothers Grimsby kept me watching to the end, Peter Baynham's comedy writing skills are not in question here, it's just that overall it left very little of an impression and is not a movie you will be still laughing about in 5 years time.
27 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not a patch on the first movie
8 January 2016
The original Rise was told from Carlton Leach's perspective, 'Rise II' doesn't appear to have had a lot of input from Carlton himself as far as story goes it's pretty thin on plot. The acting varies wildly from good (surprisingly, Craig Fairbrass and solid as per from Ricci Harnett) to downright awful - Steven Berkoff, his days have been numbered for some time. Terry Stone is forgiven as although normally the worst of the worst, his performance as Tony Tucker in the original 'Rise', even with the laughable wig, was outstanding. Here he is seen in flashback and it's just about okay. As I mentioned, the plot is thin but at least most of the actors tried to make the best of what they had to work with, in the end it's a by-the- numbers film that barely keeps you interested and then only really by Fairbrass and Harnett. I didn't fall asleep so it must of had something.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dark City (1998)
Should be on every top 100 list
22 July 2010
It's taken two watches to really get into the vibe of this film, it's almost like looking into the mind of a lunatic. Dark, foreboding and menacing, the style is reminiscent of Metropolis. Great characters, superb acting (even Sutherland shows he can act!) and a story that twists to the final scene, make Dark City not just a brilliant sci-fi film, but a true masterpiece in it's own right.

I particularly liked the 'aliens' and Richard O'Brien hardly needed make-up! And correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure I spotted a young Robert Webb of Peep Show fame in amongst the 'aliens' at one point, he even had a line but I couldn't find his name on the credits.

A must see.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Rampage (2009)
The best so far from Uwe Boll
22 July 2010
Having stuck with Uwe Boll through some of his poorly thought out previous work, Rampage was real evidence that Boll can write and direct great films. Starting quite subtly, the film progresses nicely with flashback (or should I say flash forward?)scenes and some really great dialogue and acting. The scenes with our protagonist Bill and his parents are realistic to the point of appearing ad-libbed. A well told story with very graphic scenes of cold-blooded murder, but Rampage isn't just another 'nutter' film, it has a twist.

I really enjoyed this film and have watched it twice since, OK it has a few flaws (ordering guns on the internet?) as some people have pointed out, but it is well worth watching.
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Great Piece of Documentary Making
9 October 2006
This is one documentary that EVERYBODY should see. Be you American, British, Asian, Chinese, black, white, purple or green this film is a door opener to the world of the elitist brigade that are running our entire planet. I am English, so this movie doesn't affect me directly, but if I were American I would be sincerely worried about the state of my country (I know I am about my own).

As a film this works kind of awkwardly,Russo's commentary is sometimes dull and monotone but the message it carries is difficult to ignore. I do not want to compare this with the current flood of 911 'conspiracy' documentaries but it is difficult to measure against any other kind of film, however, saying that I think this is a great eye opener to a wider picture that maybe will appeal to more people because of it's 'you don't have to pay income tax' narrative. I hope that people that see this film are prepared for the can of worms that will open when they look to the internet for answers on the Federal Reserve system.

There is a very interesting interview with Robert Ross on Google video that people might like to check out, it explains the banking system in shocking detail. It can be found here: http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay docid=2627291467605375185&q=robert+ross
7 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Powerful Message
5 April 2006
On first look at V for Vendetta I was expecting great things and I was surprised that it delivered more than I could of hoped for.The central characters are strong and well played by Natalie Portman and Hugo Weaving, the support cast are outstanding, the production is first class, the lighting is superb and the sets are fantastic but it is the underlying anger and frustration that lies in the mind of the central character, V, that makes this film a must-see. The film was finished in the late part of 2004 and was due for a British release around the time of the London bombings in July 2005, but the distributors decided that the film was too provocative to release after so many people had lost their lives to 'terrorism' in the capital city where the film takes place. I can understand their decision, the film's views of London being destroyed by a bombing campaign were all too real to those of us who lived through the 70's,80's and 90's in London when the IRA were carrying out bombing attacks. But on the other hand, the narrative of the film is also true of London today. Cameras are everywhere, our Police force is being militarised and we are always told that 'terrorism' is to blame.....V is a hero not a villain, he is angry and frustrated at the way the World has gone, war, pestilence and death surround him and he finally fights back in the most spectacular fashion. If only it were true........
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Ringer (2005)
Not very good
10 January 2006
As my friend above said, The Ringer is not a great comedy but what it does do is make you question your outlook on people with impairments. The director didn't mean for this to happen, I honestly think that he thought he was making a great comedy, but what he has made is a social commentary that lacks any grace or real wit. If you come away from this movie with one thing it is not going to be laughter or happiness, well, it certainly wasn't for me.... I can only judge the film by the (lack of) laughter factor from the assembled audience, if one person laughed out loud the whole cinema was turning around to see who it was, which was funny in itself. The characters are dishevelled and poorly acted, the plot is meaningless and the dialogue is so poor that I was tempted to ask the sound guy to turn it down so that I could do my own lines over the top (although the cinema audience might not of found that very funny either!). All In all The Ringer should be going straight to DVD hell, it is not worthy of your ten bucks (or seven pounds) and neither is it worthy of your four bucks DVD rental charge. I can imagine the bargain bucket bins at Blockbuster being full of this film when it is sent to video and hopefully there it shall lay to rest for all of eternity!
2 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.