Reviews

Loved it again...even more!... in 2019.
23 October 2019
I watched this film 'back in the day' on VHS and liked it. But watch it now- in HI-DEF with a great surround sound system and it is AWESOME. Great retro music, great cast, (C'mon, admit it...Diane Lane is an absolute FOX). Just give it a try. You'll love it. SPOILER: I wished Michael Pare had driven off with Diane Lane at the end.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
You were expecting 'Classic' Cinema?
15 October 2019
Just watched this on FX and I laughed a lot. I'm not even a Seth Rogen fan but that might just change, because he is funny in this movie. And now I'm a 64-year-old dirty old man who always liked girls my age or older but that little blonde girl who heads the sorority is so cute! Just put your brain on ice and watch and enjoy some non-classic cinema.
The Affair (2014– )
The selfish actions of just one man...
8 October 2019
My girlfriend and I are only halfway through season 3 of 'The Affair', and so far, we're enjoying it. This is NOT light entertainment, however, and definitely adult.

Should 'The Affair' be required viewing for every married man? Maybe. Because it definitely shows how one man's inability to say 'no' to his darker impulses can set off a chain of disastrous events. And I do mean DISASTROUS.

Should we think twice before saying 'yes' to an 'innocent fling'? 'The Affair' should answer that question for you.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Tudors (2007–2010)
I loved it at first...
8 October 2019
If you really, really like graphic scenes of torture, then 'The Tudors' should be just your cup of tea. If not, then please pass.

I was really enjoying this series until it spiralled downhill into a story of maniacal Henry dispatching wives and enemies like swatting flies.

Why do I need to see backstabbing and torture when I get that at work every day? CAN NOT RECOMMEND.
To Trap a Spy (1964)
WHERE WERE YOU? ANSWER ME! WHERE WERE YOU?!?
20 September 2019
It was 1965, the height of the Bond craze, and my friend Chuck and I couldn't get enough 'Man From Uncle'. So Chuck's parents dropped us off at a local theater to see a DOUBLE BILL of 'Uncle' movies! Wow!! (To Trap a Spy and The Spy With My Face.) But before the movies began there was a Japanese cartoon shown. We thought it was just a regular old 5-minute cartoon, but soon realized it was feature-length 90-MINUTE CARTOON. With every passing minute my heart sank as I realized I would be home that Sunday much later than I'd promised- long after dinner. No matter, I was sent to my room without it. Ah, memories. Loved seeing 'Man From Uncle' in color on the big screen, though. Especially the high-speed transitions between scenes. Cool!!!
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Big Bang Theory (2007–2019)
Big BANK Theory.
16 August 2019
I enjoyed this show in its first season. Then somewhere along the line I heard about how much money these actors are paid per episode. Jealous much? Yeah, probably. But I still think those salaries are ridiculous. A real turnoff. Which is exactly what I did.
20/20 (1978– )
Occasionally interesting, just switched off a real TURKEY.
29 July 2019
Most of the time, the wife and I enjoy watching the 'murder mysteries' featured on 20/20. Tonight on 'OWN', however we were watching a show that seemed to hold promise- a father who, with the help of his son, faked his own drowning to collect on an insurance policy. Well, that portion of the show lasted about TEN MINUTES before it turned into a trite episode about practical jokers faking accidents, death, turning into zombies, etc., etc., etc. JUNK!!! Just one episode of many, I admit, but bad enough to make me write this review. Sorry!!!
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great interpretation of Defoe's classic.
23 July 2019
Watched this entertaining film on TCM recently; really took me back to my youth. It was staple on 'Family Classics' in Chicago. I remember, even as a 7-year-old boy, feeling choked up when I heard Crusoe's dog barking on the deserted island as the castaway heads toward the rescue ship. So sad! Well worth your time-watch it and see.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Let's lock 'em in the basement and slaughter 'em.
20 July 2019
Boy, those crazy nazis just can't catch a break can they? Okay, I know, they don't deserve a break anyhow. But, jeez, we've shot 'em, stabbed 'em, blown 'em up and even melted them- but they just keep comin' back. Well, at least they used to. I don't think we've had a good 'kill the nazis' movie in awhile now. Anyway, my point is, this movie is pretty lame if you REALLY think about it. I mean, what is the goal of the mission? Lock a group of nazis and their dates in a basement and gas them. And that's it. THAT'S IT. The real appeal of this movie is the cast-which is great. Oh, and waiting for Telly Savalas' meltdown. That's it. 5 stars for the cast, zero for plot. Thank you.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better than 'City Heat'!!!
17 July 2019
Am I the only person alive who remembers the excitement that was generated when moviegoers were told that "CLINT EASTWOOD AND BURT REYNOLDS" were starring together in an upcoming film? Well, unfortunately, the end result was disasterous. Makes me wonder how 1941 movie fans felt when they heard "Bette Davis and James Cagney" in the same film! Must have been exciting news. Well, this end result is not bad- thanks, of course, to the leads, and a great supporting cast. Worth a watch for the sheer novelty.
Nick of Time (1995)
Wear your mouth guard if you grind your teeth.
28 June 2019
Here's a pre-9/11 thriller that would hardly be plausible in 2019. So just suspend disbelief for 90 nervewracking minutes and try to enjoy the action if you can. This is not an amusement park ride, believe me. Even today, as impossible as the plot seems, it will unnerve you. You REALLY hate the bad guys in this one. Not a great film, but worth a look.
Death Wish (2018)
Mildly miffed about the brutal attack on his kin.
27 June 2019
Good Lord...'BRUCE IS BACK!!!!' exclaims one reviewer. Wait...WHAT?!? No he isn't. John 'Die Hard' McLaine (pardon my possibly incorrect spelling of Mclaine) is dead, folks- and so are his emotions. Bruce does NOT look like a man whose wife and daughter have just suffered a brutal attack. So if he's only mildly miffed, as his character seems to be, where is his incentive to become America's favorite vigilante- Paul Kersey? Another diappointing retread.
1 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wyoming (1940)
All this...and Custer too!
11 June 2019
Just watched this enjoyable Wallace Beery western for the very first time and really enjoyed it! Wallace Beery is...well, Wallace Beery, as usual. Also starring Marjorie Main (Ma Kettle) and Ann Rutherford (straight from 'Gone With the Wind'). Great story with colorful characters. I only wish they had FILMED it in color, especially when you consider the breathtaking Wyoming scenery.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bogie and 'Baby' keep it afloat.
7 June 2019
Here's a post-'Casablanca' Bogart film that requires patience. It really doesn't start moving until the appearance of Lauren Bacall. I can't add any more that hasn't been said or written about the legendary couple B & B. The script is confusing at best; it tries to be 'Casablanca' in some respects, but is overlong and uninteresting. I saw this film on the big screen in the 1970's (a double bill at the Biograph in Chicago with 'Casablanca'). After the famous "just put your lips together...and blow" scene, we agreed it was time to 'blow' the theater and head home. 'Nuff said.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Well, it's that time again...
27 May 2019
Yes, Bad Cinema fans, it's time to slam another worthless film into the dust. A film that served no purpose other than to repeat, without success, its predecessor. 'Back To The Future - Part 2' showed us future versions of gimmicks that worked well in the first film, but fell flat in this trite sequel. Case in point- the gas station in part one with all the uniformed attendants (hilarious) was now a robotic gas pump (not funny, although I did hear ONE PERSON in the theater say, "Hah!"). What was the name of the bully in part one- Moose? Bull? Whatever. But all of a sudden the movie focused on him and his story- WHO CARES? I deliberately waited for a climactic scene to get up and leave this boring mess. Thankfully, 'BTTF - Part 3' recaptured the old magic again. Thanks for reading.
0 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Superman (1978)
After all these years...
27 May 2019
Rest in peace, Christopher Reeve, Margot Kidder, Marlon Brando, and all the other cast members who have left us. Okay, now that that's out of the way, I look back and remember how disappointed I was with 'Superman-The Movie' after all the hype. 'You will believe a man can fly'?!?!? How about 'You will believe in the power of matte shots'? -especially when Superman is chasing the atomic missile across the country-pretty fakey stuff. Or how about 'Superman saves toy village from toy a broken dam? I could go on and on. Sorry, but to me, this film ended when Superboy (Jeff East) says goodbye to his mother in the wheat field- a touching scene, the best in the movie. I wiil say I did love Superman 2, though. Thanks.
0 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Arrival (II) (2016)
Worst 'date movie' ever.
19 May 2019
Finally got the chance to take that girl from my place of employment to dinner and a movie. Saw 'Arrival'. It was dark, slow, and bizarre. It was also our last date. Sometime later I heard her gush about seeing 'La La Land'. Not sure who she saw it with. I simply filed our near-relationship under 'wasn't meant to be'.
4 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Avengers: The Fear Merchants (1967)
Season 5, Episode 2
My very first 'Avengers' episode.
10 May 2019
'The Avengers', as all fans know, was popular in the UK for years before it landed on US television. I'm not sure if 'Fear Merchants' was the first episode to be shown on ABC, but it was the first one I watched- and I was hooked. Haven't seen it in years, so not sure if it still holds up to viewing in 2019, but who cares? Made for exciting tv viewing when I was thirteen years old.
I'M STILL WAITING!!!
28 April 2019
Could someone please tell me if I missed 'A River Runs Through It - Part 2' where SOMETHING ACTUALLY HAPPENS? Because I didn't see much of anything happen in this movie! I kept waiting...and waiting...and waiting...("I'll die in Casablanca." Oh, never mind...) for some big dramatic event to happen in this film, but nothing important happened. Nothing. Good narration by Robert Redford, though. Thats about it.
Tombstone (1993)
Way, way, WAY too long.
28 April 2019
Every time I see a certain movie on my cable guide I feel compelled to write a brief review, based on my recollections of whatever film that might be. 'Tombstone' is my choice for today, since I just saw it scheduled to play tonight on some cable channel. My wife and I rented this endless western from Blockbuster in the early '90's. I think we must have looked at the video cassette box more than once to double-check the running time of the film. Why, we wondered, couldn't they have cut this film by 30 minutes? I totally don't understand all the glowing reviews for this overlong film! Got nothing better to do for over two hours? -then watch 'Tombstone'. Maybe you'd like to enjoy it as a double bill with 'The Natural'. But you'd better pick up a fifty-pound bag of popcorn (unpopped) first!
2 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Viewers' HEADLINES are SPOILERS!!!
28 March 2019
It's April of 2019 and I've just started watching 'Man in the High Castle'. I was really enjoying it until I read (after watching 3 episodes) the reviews on imdb. What a disappointment to read- in just the headlines alone- that season 3 was a letdown to most, if not all, viewers. I should have avoided the reviews entirely because now I feel like I'm just wasting my time watching the series! Sheesh!
Green Book (2018)
A TRUE 'Best Picture' picture!
25 March 2019
'Green Book' has all you can ask for in a great film- great acting, great story, and wonderful characters you really care about. What a terrific, feel-good movie. Just see it! That is all!
1 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
YOU make the call!
24 March 2019
Hey kids, I'm having a tough time deciding which sequel was the bigger waste of time and money- 'More American Graffiti' or 'Back to the Future -Part 2'. How 'bout YOU tell me which one you hated more? (At least 'Back to the Future-Part 3' saved the trilogy from total disaster.)
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
'The BIG ONE is DOWNTOWN!!!'.
12 March 2019
Way back in 1970, when this sub-par sequel was released, we didn't have the wide distribution that movies enjoy today. In other words, fewer ouylying theaters, fewer prints of the movie. So, in Chicago, 'first release' or new films were first shown downtown before they made their way to suburban theaters. I remember the large ads in the newspaper movie section advertising 'Beneath...', saying, 'The Big One is Downtown!' Sheesh. The big one? Not quite. What a major disappointent after its exciting predecessor. Not much more to say plotwise that hasn't been said by other reviewers. Happy movie watching, everybody.
Die Hard 2 (1990)
Yippee- ki - NO.
13 February 2019
I missed the first 'Die Hard' when it was released to theaters, (watched it later on VHS, and loved it) so I made sure to see part 2 on the big screen. I haven't felt such disappointment since 'Beneath the Planet of the Apes'. What a letdown! One of the film's early action scenes has our hero trying to save an airliner full of passengers( he doesn't). O---KAY, so the bad guys have already wiped out 200 plus lives in the first hour. How can anything that follows give us cause to root for the hero when so mamy people have already died? Also, one critic raved about a scene where Maclain ejects from a plane shortly before it explodes : "His nose almost TOUCHES THE SCREEN as he is blown upwards in an incredibly realistic scene"(I'm paraphrasing). 'REALISTIC'??!!?? Ya right. How about MATTE SHOT CITY?!? Forget this time-waster! I'd rather watch 'Back To the Future-Part 2' (another turkey)!