Reviews

Rampage (2018)
Kids will love this film, adults not so much but it is escapism.
13 April 2018
REVIEW - RAMPAGE

I enjoy watching films and I especially enjoy writing these reviews. By far the hardest part of writing these is to make them interesting. Now being an adult I can use adult conceptions, interpretations and vocabulary that other adults can comprehend, by now your possibly thinking what is he going on about this is supposed to be a film review.

You have a film which is rated as 12A here in the UK, so children can see it from 12 upward when accompanied by an adult, with this in mind you may think that the people making the film would take into consideration the prospective audience, a story for the children with something for the adults.

With a rating of 12A this film was, in my personal opinion not suitable for a 12 year old. There are some inappropriate gestures used which if copied by a 12 year old would cause offence and one scene where 'us' gets eaten is very in your face.

Special effects are as to be expected excellent, story is (for an adult) silly especially when the rock gets...... and less than 10 minutes later is running, fighting, rolling around ETC.

Kids will love this film, adults not so much but it is escapism.

The stereo types are cringe worthy with a Tommy Lee Jones, a Die Hard and the usual female scientist who just happens to know about what's going on and how to....... and who wasn't for some reason disposed of prior?

Certainly go see it, make your own mind up, enjoy the time with your kids but remind them not to copy certain gestures.

Rating 7 out of 10
8 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Slumber (I) (2017)
There is one very pleasant surprise, Silvester McCoy! yes Dr Who!
REVIEW - SLUMBER

The night hag or old hag is a creature from the folklore of various peoples which is used to explain the phenomenon of sleep paralysis. It is a phenomenon during which a person feels a presence of a supernatural malevolent being which immobilizes the person as if sitting on his/her chest or the foot of his/her bed. The word "night-mare" or nightmare " was used to describe this phenomenon before the word acquired its modern, more general meaning. Various cultures have various names for this phenomenon and/or supernatural character.

This film uses this premise in an interesting using this to hang the story being told in the film upon.

As with the subject of the film watching it I felt I was being put through my own nightmare experiencing paralysis sitting here on my sofa, while it is interesting and watchable the film uses all the old cliches to try to enhance the story when it didn't need to do so.

The Dr with the vested interest, Not watching a certain video taof 10e until the following day, The idea to save the day (which is impossible by the way). The night porter / cleaner knowing more than they let on, And many more.

There is one very pleasant surprise, Silvester McCoy! yes Dr Who!

Rating 4 out o
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Churchill (2017)
How the man with the world on his shoulders coped with it
REVIEW - CHURCHILL

Recently there seems to have been a few films out at the same time to do with the subject of Winston Churchill. It is strange that different studios seem to bring out similar films at the same time, anyway I digress.

Of course previously we have had 'The Darkest Hour' and of course to see what actually happed through a film is very interesting and 'Churchill' is the same.

I always thought D Day was Winston Churchill's idea as a way to push back the Nazis into France and re-claim Paris in operation Overlord which ultimately helped to end the second world war.

Great film, amazing acting, budget wise not as well funded as 'The Darkest Hour' and in places this shows, but get over this and the acting, story is worthy of a watch.

If you're interested in how one many copes with the fate of the world on his shoulders and how human he was dealing with this terrible burden then this is definitely the film for you, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The Titan (2018)
One simple question kept repeating in my mind as I watched this film, why?
REVIEW - THE TITAN

I'd never heard of this and after reading the synopses thought it may be interesting.

Whilst the story is interesting and thought provoking, rather than changing a planet why not change the humans who inhabit it, this story is interesting in places but in others just drags along, whilst your waiting for something to happen, which it does but not to the extent that its promised.

Unfortunately I just didn't care about the characters in this film, which was a shame because the whole story is very family orientated with the decision of the Titan which will affect the future of his wife and young son.

One simple question kept repeating in my mind as I watched this film, why?

Why would a happily married husband and father leave his family forever and how could his wife / partner allow him to do so with no option to ever see him again?

This was the underlying reason why I just couldn't enjoy into the film as I felt this was unrealistic, which was a shame. If the Titan in question had been single, a criminal given the opportunity to, then maybe this film would have been enjoyable but the premise of the family man leaving forever just didn't ring true and spoilt the rest fo the film.

A Quiet Place (2018)
What a total and pleasant surprise this was I will tell you!
6 April 2018
REVIEW - A QUIET PLACE

I was at a bit of a loss this evening, nothing on TV so looked at my local cinema listing and thought to myself I've not seen any hype about this film so why not go and give it a try, didn't even know what it was about.

Oh my goodness! Oh wow with a big cherry on top! What a total and pleasant surprise this was I will tell you!

Michael Bay please, please, please DO NOT make a prequel or sequel, no matter how much you are offered to do so please say no, because Mr Michael Bay I will say in my personal opinion this film is on a parr with the original Alien (yes readers I've found a film that comes very close to the original Alien film).

Story doesn't even try to explain what, where or how, it just jumps straight into the story concerned and what a way to start. The end is in its self excellent and the suspense builds until..... If you go and see it yourself you will see why I'm pleading that a sequel is not made.

Empowering for the Deaf community, 2 gripes that the Deaf community will instantly catch onto but to allow the story to progress and for the suspense to build these are quickly forgotten.

A must see, honestly if I could give this more than 10 I would but I can't, so....

1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Paddington 2 (2017)
Again the curse of the sequel has reared it's ugly head to make this a flat film compared to the original and even the original BBC TV series.
26 March 2018
REVIEW - PADDINGTON 2

When I was a kid I'll admit I watched Paddington on the BBC which was then animated using hand drawn cut outs for scenery and other characters, the only one being in colour was Paddington Bear.

For me the innocence of the program was the main attraction.

This film was heaped with praise and white I can appreciate it for some parts of this film I unfortunately can't in others.

The CGI bear is just wonderful, facial features and even fur moving in a realistic way but.....

Many kids films these days have a level of dual humour, one the kids understand and one adults do, as with pantomimes, but this film doesn't even try to keep the adults entertained.

Simple story which promotes family values, understanding, tolerance and acceptance which is a good thing but just loses its way somewhat.

Hugh Grant received lots of praise for his role in this and honestly to me he just seemed, well I've seen him perform better and what happened to Julie Walters? She hardly had any lines and when she did speak it was only a one line here or there which was a shame because in the first film she was excellent.

0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
By the time we got to IT I was just waiting for IT to end.
25 March 2018
REVIEW - A WRINKLE IN TIME

With all of the hype surrounding this film I thought I'd better watch it and that I have.

In essence this is the feel good film of the year so far. The simple message running throughout the film of acceptance, accept the faults of others and the faults within yourself, accept others and accept yourself but.......

While watching this film I couldn't help but think of the various troubles plaguing the USA at the moment, which I think this film in its way is trying to address by educating the young to be more tolerant and accepting of others. I do applaud this but there is so much........

Whilst certainly a film the kids may love for me personally it felt too lovey dovey with cherries on top and apple pie with cream on the side, no meat to the story and honestly I just didn't care what happened to who.

By the time we got to IT I was just waiting for IT to end.

This is a children's film so please remember the above is an adults point of view.

2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I Kill Giants (2017)
Slow in places but definitely stick with it.
24 March 2018
REVIEW - I KILL GIANTS

The five stages of grief; denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance.

Why am I highlighting this at the very start of a review for a film?

This film centres around a young girl who believes she fights giants. Not giving too much away, her irrational made up world hides the real reason she is acting the way she is.

This same subject was covered by the film "A monster calls" which uses the sane premise.

Both films are powerful and both films use the premise well, using the monster created in their mind to either come to terms with the loss or impending loss but unfortunately I Kill Giants just isn't as good as A Monster Calls.

The central character is going through the above stages and this film is her journey.

Acting is excellent and up until neatly the end you are questioning your self, could there actually be a giant and then you realise why the central character does what she does.

Slow in places but definitely stick with it.

3 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
In essence the sequel is in the same vein but and I'm very surprised and happy to say it is a whole lot more.
23 March 2018
REVIEW - PACIFIC RIM UPRISING

As every film fan knows sequels are NEVER as good as the original. In a vast majority of cases this is indeed true with only on a very rare occasion where a sequel is as good or better.

The first Pacific Rim was an ok film, original story with silly human controlled huge robots fighting to protect the Earth.

A cross between Transformers, Power Ranges and the inclusion of an anti hero with a great and surprising twist made the time sat watching this very enjoyable.

Not as good as some but definitely better than others, kids will love it for the robots, adults will enjoy it for the concept and story.

One definite positive was the robot fighting sequences. The biggest gripe for me with Transformers is that its all too fast and you can't take it all in but with this you can, with some fighting slowed down to allow you to do so, well done.

The length of the film was perfect also, fast paced enough to keep you interested and not dragged out as some films tend to be.

31 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Red Sparrow (2018)
Quite disappointed after all the hype, give me Atomic Blonde every time.
21 March 2018
REVIEW - RED SPARROW

We all possibly remember James Bond and how he always got the girl or used his sex appeal and macho good looks to make the spy give up secrets, turn it around, lets imagine a female spy doing the same. I don't know if this happens in the real world (pillow talk) but presumably it does.

So we have an attractive intellectual female spy using the skills she has been taught to seduce a man into giving up secrets, ok equal opportunity and I'm fine with that but the spies in this film don't keep much a secret in the first place!

Very long winded and in my personal opinion the first 40 minutes were just there to pull in the male audience (the parts in the state school) which wasn't needed and become irrelevant.

Honestly the only part of this film I enjoyed was the twist at the end.

Quite disappointed after all the hype, give me Atomic Blonde every time.

Rating 4 out of 10
2 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Proud Mary (2018)
Premise doesn't sit right which is a shame
21 March 2018
REVIEW - PROUD MARY

Saw the title of this film and was intrigued as the title is the same as one of the songs that I love "Proud Mary" so obviously I thought they have used this song to hang the story of the film on, right?

Wrong.

Whilst the story is of interest and (don't get me wrong) this is an enjoyable film the premise just doesn't sit right and actually spoils the whole thing.

A female orphan being adopted (taken in) by a mob family and trained to be a contact killer(don't worry I'm not giving anything away) suddenly having a conscience and turning her back on.............

Worth seeing, but save it for a rainy evening when nothing else is on, you will enjoy it but not as much as other films in this genre like 'Death Wish, John Wick' or the hugely awaited The Equalizer 2.

9 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
80s references a plenty
17 March 2018
REVIEW - READY PLAYER ONE

I was very fortunate to have been invited to see an advanced screening of this film before it's world premiere so I must just say that the following is my own personal opinion.

During the summer of 2017 filming for this film took place in and around Birmingham's Jewellery Quarter and Spaghetti Junction so this film as with Kingsman (which was filmed on Colmore Row) was of particular interest.

Tipped to be a blockbuster of a film in parts I can certainly agree, I predict it will do well at the cinema but for me the film was split, let me explain.

Rated 12A here in the UK the film is intended for children of 12 up and accompanied by an adult and generally the film could have got away with a general 12 rating except for one quick scene involving a very famous doll which comes to life and the human swearing (which was a shock).

The story was interesting enough without being too complicated, the general level of acting was OK but for me as I've said by far the only reason to go and see this film are for the parts inside the oasis!

For us adults there are references of the 80s both films and games and for the other audience members just the sheer pleasure of witnessing such an impressive visual computer generated world, truly amazing! But because it seems to me) most of the budget was spent on this then the real world sequences suffered.

Don't get me wrong, the film is very enjoyable and I intend to watch it again on DVD or streaming when its released just so I can pause it and see even more of the 80s film and game references.

19 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Death Wish (2018)
Actually with the occupation of Bruce Willis. adds to the overall story.
13 March 2018
REVIEW - DEATH WISH

Before watching this I honestly thought "oh here we go another remake and as we all know remakes aren't usually very good".

Whilst this is advertised as a remake trust me it isn't, this does loosely follow the original story at the start but it is varied enough to be a new version which is updated.

Unfortunately the film does promote and reinforce the gun culture of the USA which is questionable but for the purpose of the film it is necessary.

Definitely worth going to see and guaranteed there will be a sequel.

One big plot hole but very enjoyable.

Actually with the occupation of Bruce Willis. adds to the overall story.

10 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Annihilation (2018)
Interesting, what would happen if evolution took a different course?
12 March 2018
REVIEW - ANNIHILATION

Interesting, what would happen if evolution took a different course?

Or lets imagine that there is only so much matter in the universe so when matter passes from one state into another it gets reused.

Grass for example is matter that gets eaten by a cow which changes that matter into milk which we drink and is absorbed into us to give us protein which is another form of matter, lets imagine if all matter was like milk and could be absorbed, what would happen? How would evolution been altered?

In essence that is the story behind this film, we are everyone and everything and everything and everyone is us.

Interesting story but slow.

Certainly go and see it but don't expect too much compared to the Arrival for example, which this film I fear tries to mimic but unfortunately fails.

0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This is a film for a Sunday afternoon when nothing else is on the TV.
11 March 2018
REVIEW - HURRICANE HEIST

What to say, what to say, hmmm.

Ok lets imagine for a second that you are watching a film and are actually getting into it, enjoying story, the suspense and the special effects of a raging hurricane only to have the ending let you down.

Yes I'm afraid to say it that this film is such a film. Thinking about it the ending is predictable which is a real shame because up until then this is actually a very enjoyable film and because of this I'm torn as what score to rate this film.

I'm afraid to say it reminded me of Dantses Peak with the silly notion that you can out run a...............

This is a film for a Sunday afternoon when nothing else is on the TV.

RATING 7 OUT OF 10
6 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Lovely feel good film about understanding and no violence, swearing.
5 March 2018
REVIEW - PLEASE STAND BY

Very occasionally a film comes your way that you have never heard of but the synopsis sounds interesting so you think to yourself why not.

Confession time, I'm a big fan of science fiction including Star Trek so this film certainly got my attention.

Before you read any further and without giving away any spoilers this IS NOT a science fiction film but it is a lovely, funny story which is told in a way that makes you interested in Wendy.

One to watch if your a science fiction fans or not.

Lovely feel good film about understanding and no violence, swearing.

Recommended viewing.

0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Mom and Dad (2017)
Honestly can't say any more without spoiling the plot, just watch this!
25 February 2018
REVIEW - MOM AND DAD

If this film was made by Alfred Hitchcock it would be another one of his classics, yes you've read correctly but for some strange reason I'm not sure if this truly scary film is even going to be on at the cinema because its excellent.

Honestly can't say any more without spoiling the plot, just watch this!

1 or 2 small references to Trumps American especially the gun laws but these actually add to the story and don't detract.

1 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Hellraiser: Judgment (2018 Video)
Avoid like you would avoid the puzzle box.
18 February 2018
REVIEW - HELLRAISER JUDGEMENT

One of the first horror films I saw was the original Hellraiser created by Clive Barker. At the time it was truly original and definitely scary in places. Over the years there have been many sequels and each of them has got progressively worse. This is no exception, intact I will go as far as to say this is the worse one so far. I actually fell asleep during this film and had to re wind.

There isn't honestly much I can say about this film to try and redeem it.

Avoid like you would avoid the puzzle box.

Sorry I will say one thing in favour of this film, it's not as bad as Sausage Party or Chips.

Rating 4 out of 10
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Accident Man (2018)
In essence this film is using the formula created by Jackie Chan but as a British martial arts film with comedy elements.
15 February 2018
REVIEW - ACCIDENT MAN

Occasionally I come across a film which as I'm watching it I can't decide if I like it or don't, this is one such film.

Basically a simple to understand story of revenge and redemption but with some over the top characters thrown into the mix which actually rather than detract from the film actually make it funny, yes funny.

I think it was this which threw me at first because its not a formula that I can even remember watching in a British film.

After the realisation that the comedy and characters were intentional I started to enjoy the film more and more.

Ok its not Jackie Chan and never will be but it was still a damn good watch especially the martial arts scenes.

Scott Adkins is finally coming into his own and about time to.

1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Braven (2018)
What makes a good movie? BRAVEN
13 February 2018
REVIEW - BRAVEN

What makes a good movie?

Simple, a movie that while your watching before you realise it 90 minutes has passed also even though with technology these days we can pause streaming movies and DVDs you still rush to the toilet and back to continue to watch, BRAVEN is such a film.

Simple story very well told and unlike many films you care about what happens (especially the father).

Beautiful cinematography and Jason Momoa is exceptional.

A must see, thoroughly enjoyed BRAVEN!

1 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Sunday night film when nothing is on the other channels.
13 February 2018
REVIEW - DEN OF THIEVES

Testosterone gone mad and such a shame.

The usual good guys vs the bad guys with just too much thrown in for absolutely no reason.

A diverse just there to make you care for the main character, an over protective parent warning a boy friend on a first date but after sitting through nearly 3 quarters of the film with a story that could have been told in half that time this film drugs, so much so by the time we get to the inevitable shoot out and after you sit and think was that it.

The only redeeming thing is the twist at the end but.... Ok its a watch but.... Promised more than it delivered.

A Sunday night film when nothing is on the other channels.

Rating 7 out of 10
1 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Radius (2017)
Sometimes you find a gem of a film
12 February 2018
REVIEW - RADIUS

Sometimes you find a gem of a movie just out of sheer good luck and this is such a film.

Story is ingenious with some totally surprising twists and turns that even surprised me.

Slow in places but that's the whole idea of this film, to make you ponder.

Highly recommended that you watch this as soon as possible (and that's the first time I've ever said that in any of my reviews!)

6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Good Doctor (2017– )
The show itself is a roller coaster ride of emotion with just the right amount of humour.
29 January 2018
REVIEW - THE GOOD DOCTOR

I've never really been a fan of medical shows such as House or Grays Anatomy but as I have worked with adults with Autism in the past I thought I'd give this show a try.

The premise of the show is very original and for disabled people very positive which I applaud.

So far I've binge watched season 1 and the twists and turns of the stories focused on the characters including Dr Murphy is excellent.

Even though the show is primarily about how Dr. Murphy integrates and copes with his profession the show doesn't take anything away from the other customers.

Love this show to bits and do recommend you give it a try.

1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I now have another film to add to my favourites list.
15 January 2018
REVIEW - THE SHAPE OF WATER

Unable to perceive the shape of You, I find You all around me. Your presence fills my eyes with Your love, It humbles my heart, For You are everywhere.

Suspend reality, at least for the time it takes to watch this truly magical film.

Love, compassion, acceptance, loneliness, companionship, equals, none judgemental, greed, pride, stubbornness, loathing and lust.

You will either love or hate this film and I absolutely loved it, one if not the best film!

I now have another film to add to my favourites list.

Recommended but I know you will either love or hate this film.

15 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Black Mirror (2011– )
Stories original, scary, beautiful, brilliantly acted and a must watch
11 January 2018
REVIEW - BLACK MIRROR

Let me start with a little explanation, Black Mirror is a series made up of separate stories, so from one to another each is different.

That being said even though each episode is a different story one thing they have in common is that they are original.

Some episodes are scary, some make you think and some are just strange but each is compelling viewing.

As each episode is its own story if you don't like the subject of one skip to the next because so far there are 4 series (UK) seasons (US) to watch so I can guarantee you'll find something.

Stories original, scary, beautiful, brilliantly acted and a must watch!

0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this