Reviews

NYPD Blue: In the Butt, Bob (1995)
Season 2, Episode 10
not buying romances
11 June 2019
I'm watching this in 2019, so well after the series was over. Overall, the show is pretty good.

The big wrinkle is the romance aspect. I just don't see Costas falling for Sipowicz. Same as Donna and Greg. Just not buying into those personal relationships.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Boston Legal: Head Cases (2004)
Season 1, Episode 1
Good pilot
28 April 2019
This looks like a good series start, other than the Annie story line.

They blackmailed the producers of the play into giving the black girl a part in the play. She didn't fit the part. Just because she's got a great voice doesn't mean she's entitled to the part of Annie. That's a big reason our society is in such a mess right now: every feels entitled to anything they want, whether they deserve it, have earned it, etc. or not.

The producers should be allowed to cast whoever they feel best represents their vision of the characters.

And the Sharpton cameo was simply annoying - almost enough to make me turn off the tv completely
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Practice: In Good Conscience (2004)
Season 8, Episode 16
Sick of Eugene
27 April 2019
Okay - Eugene needs to get the pickle out of his ass. His character has become very unlikeable over the past few seasons, to the point where he's intolerable about everything.

As far as the doctor case, again, the liberal bias just angers me. The doctor did nothing wrong. If the couple was too poor to pay for prenatal and basic care, then they had no business having a baby. Tired of conservative values trashed during these episodes.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Practice: Police State (2004)
Season 8, Episode 11
Another self-righteous episode
27 April 2019
Once again, the members of this firm are so outraged because the rights of a scumbag are trampled on. A cop-killer is kept away from lawyers at the hospital and questioned alone, which makes the lawyers' heads explode.

The bleeding heart liberal bias throughout this show has reached a level for me that is almost unbearable for my taste. It seems that victims get forgotten in the scripts for this, while writers champion murderers, rapists, and other such 'human beings'.

Frankly, I'm on the side of the cops.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Practice: The Chosen (2003)
Season 8, Episode 2
UGH
26 April 2019
Cannot stand Sharon Stone!!! Overrated actress who is famous simply for appearing naked in movies. I see that she will become part of the cast, so I may not be watching much longer. The show is definitely not as good now that half the original cast is now gone.

The show probably should have ended with Bobby's departure.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Practice: Manifest Necessity (2002)
Season 6, Episode 16
getting too self-righteous
24 April 2019
I freely admit that I am a staunch conservative. I frankly don't care about the rights of murderers, rapists, and other criminals who ruin people's lives. To that end, I'm about fed up with the slant of this show, fighting for the release of those such criminals. Bending rules and laws so that murderers go free, rapists get released, and criminals are back on the streets, while victims get victimized all over again by the system. The degree of self-righteousness of the defense attorneys is nauseating, at best. How they can devote their lives to defending such scum and getting them back into society makes me sick., especially when they know their clients have committed such heinous crimes. I realize this is a show, but this is how the system works.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Practice: Infected (1999)
Season 3, Episode 21
Helen is screechy
13 April 2019
I like this series, and am watching it about 20 years after it aired. But Helen's court room voice is like fingernails on a chalk board. it's just screechy and whiny and literally makes me wince.

Like most of these types of dramas, there is too much adult squabbling and over drama, but overall it's a good drama
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ally McBeal: Pyramids on the Nile (1999)
Ally's confusion is confusing
28 March 2019
I'm watching this series in 2019, well after it was over. But Ally's confusion when Billy confesses that he is still in love with her irritates me. The doctor is perfect. He is a beautiful man. He is sexy and thoughtful and totally smitten with her.

Years ago, Billy dumped her because he met Georgia. He broke her heart. He's ready to cheat on his wife. Why is she willing to be the other woman and to cheat on Butters? Disappointing. She needs to grow up and start acting like a woman instead of a spoiled brat. The world doesn't revolve around her.

She needs to move forward with her life and leave Billy behind to live his life with Georgia.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Practice: First Degree (1997)
Season 2, Episode 5
No accent?
17 March 2019
I just discovered this series and am enjoying it. But it struck me today that not one person in this series, set in Boston, has an accent. And a place like Boston has a very recognizable vernacular.

Overall, it's well worth watching, but maybe a little light on setting in terms of voice.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The X-Files: My Struggle (2015)
Season 10, Episode 1
The years have been harsh
16 March 2019
Whoa - these two main characters have not aged well. Scully's new hairdo is horrible and brings her forehead to your attention. And Mulder looks about 20 years older than he should.

I agree with a previous review that it would have been a better lead in to show these two together, living as normal a life as they could, before they got pulled back into these investigations.

I wasn't a die hard fan of the original series, and I watched them about 20 years after they aired. But I think they should have ended this series when Mulder left after season six, I think ?

This just isn't that compelling of a story anymore.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The X-Files: Two Fathers (1999)
Season 6, Episode 11
Lots of information
7 March 2019
This was an okay episode. But I am not impressed with the pace and action. We found out a lot but nothing earth shattering.

What I don't understand about the premise of this show is why a group of Americans would volunteer themselves and everyone else on the planet to a hostile group of aliens. It doesn't make sense.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The X-Files: Kitsunegari (1998)
Season 5, Episode 8
Again?
3 March 2019
Okay maybe this is an obvious observation: why don't they just wear ear plugs or play music or something that drowns out this guy's voice. As far as that goes, paralyze his vocal cords. Wouldn't that end his power?

There was nothing 'wrong' with this episode but it wasn't very exciting, because we saw it all in the first episode with Modell
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The X-Files: Anasazi (1995)
Season 2, Episode 25
Let down at the end
26 February 2019
I thought this was finally when Mulder would get some confirmation that his beliefs were merited. Instead, it's a lame ending for a season finale.

As suspicious as Mulder is, why in God's name would he answer his phone when he was almost to the evidence? He had to know he'd be traced. As soon as it was the smoking man, why didn't he hang up?! That is the most irritating thing with this series. These two people are supposed to be incredibly smart but they repeatedly make stupid mistakes. It's like they have no common sense between them!
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The X-Files: Die Hand Die Verletzt (1995)
Dark buildings
26 February 2019
I'm late watching this series - 25 years after it aired. and I have enjoyed it. I grew up reading Stephen King and like the episodes that make me think about things. It is a different focus than I expected. The alien aspect is very low key most of the time. But overall, I really do like the series.

As a whole, the stories are written well, especially since it is an older show. But there are a couple of things that irritate. Every time they have to go into a building, it's pitch black. (And a lot of other shows do the same thing.) It's just not realistic that every building is going to be without lights or that every one of those scenes is at night. which brings me to the other irritant. How the show goes from day to night within a few minutes.

Like I said, overall, it's a fun series and has stood up over a couple of decades pretty well.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Merlin: The Crystal Cave (2010)
Season 3, Episode 5
Enough for me
22 February 2019
This episode was my breaking point. Done.

Morgana was NOT Uther's daughter. This was the inaccuracy that broke my interest in the story. I know it's difficult to take a story from medieval times and make it interesting for today's society. But the writers have taken far too many liberties with the story, as I've said in previous reviews of the show.

With all the things they've changed, this is no longer the beginnings of the great saga of King Arthur and how Merlin helped shape his Camelot. This is someone's concoction to throw everything together, mix it up, and see if they can make a marketable story.

I don't understand Merlin's anguish over Morgana. She is pure evil. She should be killed (even though she won't be). So, I don't know why he feels so terrible, given all the bad deeds she's done and will do. Yes, I know Merlin is a good person, but he's 'too' good.

There is a reason that the story of King Arthur is a classic and why it is studied. This mish-mash of the characters, story line, and history is disappointing. This could have been a wonderful series actually focused on Merlin and how he shaped his power.

Just too many things too different from the legend. Too confusing to try and reconcile that to what this show is trying to be.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bleh
22 February 2019
I'm disappointed in the direction this series has chosen to take. I know there have to be battles and there have to be challenges for Arthur before he is king, but Merlin would have protected Camelot before so many people had to die. He wouldn't have allowed that much carnage. And he would have done something to control Morgana, to thwart her plan. The writing on this is sloppy. Too many times I want to literally palm my forehead with the inane inaction. Gaius and Merlin would not have stood back and let things get to this point.

Frankly, Merlin could have taken down the opposing army before they ever got to Camelot - with a fire or something like that. He knows he has to protect Arthur to protect Camelot; he takes that job seriously. But when it's time for him to do just that, he hesitates and he allows bad things to happen before he does something.

I had high hopes for this show, but too many episodes have been predictable, and downright boring. Obviously, someone writing this just wanted a big fight scene. But I'm over them. Same with Morgana's magic. She has too much free reign to do what she wants inside the castle.

Like I've said in earlier posts, this could have been a spectacular series if the writers had been more clever in their jobs.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Merlin: The Tears of Uther Pendragon (2010)
Season 3, Episode 1
Predictable
22 February 2019
This episode was frustrating. After being gone a year, Morgana shows up miraculously and is welcomed back with open arms, no questions asked. Surely, Gaius or Merlin would have suspected something. But I didn't understand a few episodes ago why Merlin covered up Morgana's magic and her part in the deception of Uther. But when Uther grows ill, wouldn't Gaius or Merlin think about Morgana. This just wasn't believable. I hate it when writers dumb down characters. Merlin is smarter than this, especially when Morgana is a complete opposite of what she was when she left. This storytelling tactic always irritates me.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Merlin: The Sins of the Father (2009)
Season 2, Episode 8
Stop changing the story!
21 February 2019
I realize that when someone does a project like this, they want to put their own spin on the story, and some liberties are expected. But they can't just rewrite a legend and expect viewers to be happy. I've struggled with this since I started watching this. Morgana was not raised by Uther. Arthur and Merlin were not the same age. And in this episode, Morgana doesn't even know about Morgause. These changes have pulled me straight out of the story, which is opposite of what the creators of this series want. In the legend, Uther slept with Ygraine, who died in childbirth. There was no mention of magic used. This would be a spectacular series if they hadn't mucked up the legend. But as is, I'm disappointed. I was hoping for a more thorough story about Merlin, not a separate, made up fantasy.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Good Doctor: Faces (2019)
A bit misleading
15 February 2019
I love this show, and will admit I cried - a lot - during this episode. As a mother, I can't imagine having to donate parts of my child's body. However, a face transplant like this would not happen as was shown in this episode. The recipient is not going to look like the donor. She wouldn't immediately wake up and be able to move her face like she did. There would be major scarring and swelling. Just unrealistic. And if the recipient had as much skeletal damage as was depicted prior to the surgery, the facial structure would be less than perfect. I know this is a fictional show and they have to take some liberties with the surgeries, etc. But this could have been even more powerful had they shown a more realistic outcome.

Still a great episode
9 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Chuck: Chuck Versus the Goodbye (2012)
Season 5, Episode 13
Awful ending
15 February 2019
What an incredibly stupid series finale. I was already losing interest about half way through season five, but I suffered through the rest of the episodes because I wanted to see what would happen to these two. Sarah was finally in a place that she wanted a normal life, the same dreams as Chuck, and then her memory gets destroyed? Lame. But the whole intersect issue dragged on further than it should have. That plot line could have wrapped up in season three, then the show could have moved in a different direction. By the time it did end, the plot was tired and felt forced. The writers could have done better. This was not a satisfying end at all. Disappointing. Makes me sorry I wasted so much time watching this show.

Same with Casey. I do understand him pursuing the woman he loves, but I would have liked to see him hang around and build on the relationship with his daughter. Have Gertrude come back to Burbank. The rest of the characters ended about how they should have.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Chuck: Chuck Versus the Leftovers (2010)
Season 4, Episode 10
Losing interest
13 February 2019
I am definitely losing interest in this show. It could be very fun and entertaining but there doesn't seem to be any forward movement with the main characters. Chuck is the intersect. Then he isn't. Then he is. then he isn't. And now he is again. By now, he should have some basic spy skills without the intersect. Instead, he is incredibly whiny. About everything. He wants to talk about his feelings during a mission. He won't let things drop. Frankly, a woman like Sarah wouldn't stay with him. In general, the characters make a lot of mistakes that spies wouldn't. Like talking - loudly - in the air vents. Or putting their wrists up to their mouths every few minutes. That is an obvious give away that they are talking to someone. This is supposed to be a drama/comedy. And there are moments that are very funny. But they fall short of the mark. Get Smart, the series, was brilliant. Max tried his best to be a great spy and got into situations that were funny. This show isn't Get Smart. Definitely like his hair shorter, without the curls. Now he looks like a man, not a man-boy. Casey is the best character of the show. I absolutely love him! He's the perfect person for the character, and he has shown growth, both in his attitude toward Chuck and Sarah, and by embracing his role of dad to Alex. I love his grunts and grudging acceptance of the bigger picture. I am also frustrated with Ellie. As smart as she is, she has been acting very dumb in this season. Like believing the guy was CIA without checking it out. She could have asked Sarah or gone to the general or asked Chuck. She wouldn't have blindly trusted someone with the safety of her family. In reality, she is the one who got her dad killed by forcing him out of hiding. She has been selfish by insisting that chuck stop spying. And then there is the mom. She has added nothing to the show. Whether she is good or bad, right or wrong, she is simply annoying. She isn't trustworthy. Doesn't seem to care about her kids. And she certainly hasn't earned chuck's allegiance. I'll give it a couple more episodes, but the show isn't holding my interest. I hope it moves forward from here.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Chuck: Chuck Versus the American Hero (2010)
Season 3, Episode 12
Over Sara
12 February 2019
I like this show, and overall, it's very good. But I am over Sarah's emotional constipation. Chuck has professed his love for her many times, and although we all know she loves him, she won't admit it. And now, she's a hypocrite. She tells Chuck she can't be with him because he killed someone. But she has killed many people through her career. If she would give him a chance, she'd see that he is the same person he's always been. She won't listen to him and give him the benefit of the doubt about the killing.

Disappointing that she hops into a relationship with Shaw so quickly. And even more disappointing that she rubs that in Chuck's face.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Chuck: Chuck Versus the Predator (2009)
Season 2, Episode 17
No common sense
11 February 2019
This episode annoyed me. There was no common sense to it. All Chuck had to say was that the computer was his personal one that he had delivered to the store. I doubt that spies would have allowed the manager to grab it and put it in his office. There are plenty of options in which they would have prevented that.

Overall, I like this show. Some of it is predictable, but it has some good comedic moments. It's a different kind of spy show, one that you can simply watch and enjoy.

The other thing that bothers me is the relationship between Chuck and Sarah. I'm tired of the will they or won't they tease in every episode. Kind of like the Ross and Rachel stuff when Friends was on. It's time to decide which way they're going to go with the two of them. Either make them a couple or drop the possible romance.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Sopranos: Mayham (2006)
Season 6, Episode 3
Not buying Tim Daly
7 February 2019
This was a good episode, but I am just not buying Tim Daly as a drug addict. Don't get me wrong, I love this guy as an actor, but he's just not convincing in this role.

I loved Edie Falco in the last couple of episodes. I know why she went back to Tony, and it does seem like they're both trying to make their marriage better. But her reactions were real, with her husband in the hospital, most likely dying. And the fact that she looked awful, which is true to life. I could definitely sympathize with her trauma. I found myself crying along with her.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Sopranos: Rat Pack (2004)
Season 5, Episode 2
Good show overall
6 February 2019
I'm watching this series about 20 years after it first aired. I was ambivalent about watching it, because I really didn't think I would enjoy it. Pleasantly surprised me that it is well written and interesting. Overall, it's a good watch. I especially like Carmela as a character. However, some things cheapen the show. Way too much of the F word. I know it's part of the world, but every other word is F. After a certain point, I start tuning out what they're actually saying because of the swearing. And I do understand the culture of extra women, etc. But I think they over did the sex and nudity. I get it. Tony is a philanderer and is going to have sex with as many women as he wants. But I don't need to see it every episode. Same with the strip club. We know that's where they hang. I don't need to see it.

I want to like Tony, and in certain ways, he is almost a sympathetic character. But the way he treats his wife turns me off of him. She has allowed him a great deal of latitude and I think she wants to be a good person. She is a good wife and mother and I do think she tries to make up for his illegal activities. Yes, she knows what he does, so she does have some culpability. But I do think she believes in her marriage above anything else. Until she finally reaches the breaking point.

I cannot stand Janice, and can't figure out why Tony insisted she come back for their mother's funeral. She is a horrible person to everyone around her. I really hated how she moved in on Bobby and forced him into a marriage. She always has an angle and cannot be trusted. Absolutely hate the scenes she is in. Despite Tony being a bully, he does have a moral code that can be respected. He does protect those loyal to him, except for his wife. He doesn't respect his marriage or the home she has created for him. That part of the culture I don't understand. It is interesting how there is always someone plotting and scheming. What a way to live!
0 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.